Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+47
Third Wind
Scienza
Admiral Stoic Rum
Tytan
Necr0maNceR
cb5
Karasu
Exodus Hero
Aonee
Revan Seiei
FoolNeim
Plasticube
Technowolf
Mister Nikel
TalixZero
Vixie
WovenTales
FeatherDust
Ketchup
Sparklecake
Kaidon
Luminous Lead
Frost
thatguyvex
hawkeye92
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Somber
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
Katarn
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
Vergil
Harmony Ltd.
Derpmind
ARoundCorner
Caoimhe
Meleagridis
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
HillBilly-Drew
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Icy Shake
CD
51 posters

Page 22 of 29 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:40 am

If memory serves most of Stable 2 was Apple family members. Everybody was related to each in some way with it being stated that Pip and Velvet were cousins. I forget how close though. We never find out how close Pip was to Applejack but it didn't seem to be enough if she was AJ's direct great great granddaughter. Really that plot point if you can call it that was glossed over.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Derpmind Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:43 am

So about caviar, 'real' caviar is super expensive and therefore exclusive to rich ponies. Rich ponies are much more likely to eat unusual foods, especially the more expensive it is.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Valikdu wrote:
Shouldn't Psalm actually be alive (as herself) now? I mean, we haven't seen Lacunae's body get destroyed or anything, and Psalm's "fragments" would have probably stayed in it after the personality dissemination...

Well, if she hasn't offed herself after finding how her form is now a mockery of Luna. Or something.
Nah, both Lacunae and the goddess referenced that she didn't have a body of her own. Possibly, having arrived just after Judgment Day, Psalm's physical body was assimilated into the goddess-blob in the tank rather than transformed. That was probably so early on that the goddess wasn't even making alicorns yet.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Weren't they talking about Lacunae, though, not Psalm?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Granted this is my headcanon, but I believe there's a bit of a mathematical problem here. Between the unknown number of ponies absorbed, compared to the number of alicorns made, and the number of alicorns left alive after the Goddess' death, even if there's enough of Psalm to be her own alicorn (and memories aside, she was a very submissive pony who did what she was told and one of the first to be taken into the Goddess so no telling how much of her is left after all this time), just how much of a chance is there of her being her own pony and not stuck in a body with others and being the active personality?

I mean, the way it's described is that pony goes in, alicorn comes out. It's 1 to 1 with no known instances of if the Goddess could just pop out an alicorn at any time to replace one that was lost. And if we go with just because the alicorn was killed the pony she was based on is still alive, either those ponies finally got to die and rest in peace, or they ended up being shoved into alicorns with other ponies.

Once again, just a bit of my headcanon/thoughts on the subject.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:41 pm

FeatherDust wrote:Nah, both Lacunae and the goddess referenced that she didn't have a body of her own. Possibly, having arrived just after Judgment Day, Psalm's physical body was assimilated into the goddess-blob in the tank rather than transformed. That was probably so early on that the goddess wasn't even making alicorns yet.
Well, Psalm saw alicorns being made...

Elsewhere, pieces of flesh were being drawn together; wings, limbs, heads, and horns, forming slowly like budding plants before my eyes. The creation of alicorns, some blue and others green.

...which is kinda like seeing how sausage gets made, I think. Hinds is right, the body should belong to Psalm. It's Lacunae who didn't have a body.

Moodyman90 wrote:Granted this is my headcanon, but I believe there's a bit of a mathematical problem here. Between the unknown number of ponies absorbed, compared to the number of alicorns made, and the number of alicorns left alive after the Goddess' death, even if there's enough of Psalm to be her own alicorn (and memories aside, she was a very submissive pony who did what she was told and one of the first to be taken into the Goddess so no telling how much of her is left after all this time), just how much of a chance is there of her being her own pony and not stuck in a body with others and being the active personality?

I mean, the way it's described is that pony goes in, alicorn comes out. It's 1 to 1 with no known instances of if the Goddess could just pop out an alicorn at any time to replace one that was lost. And if we go with just because the alicorn was killed the pony she was based on is still alive, either those ponies finally got to die and rest in peace, or they ended up being shoved into alicorns with other ponies.

Once again, just a bit of my headcanon/thoughts on the subject.
My understanding of alicorns as of FOE was that each individual lived within their own body, which they were born in, and which was later mutated into an alicorn. They were fully networked so that they could freely share thoughts, skills, and knowledge, and they may have perceived the Unity as a sort of personality soup, but each individual should, in reality, still be running on a specific piece of hardware; the death of that alicorn removes a specific voice from the Unity (though the Unity retains memory of her perceptions, since they were distributed in real time, including the moment of death.) The alicorns in Zebratown and Canterlot certainly seemed to indicate that they were individuals when cut off from Unity, so there has to be at least a baseline one-to-one relationship between minds and bodies.

PH specifically contradicts some of that, so I dunno anymore.

Edity Stuff! Whee!:
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:51 pm

I just realized something. There's all the talk about blackjack being the star maiden and the eater of souls. What if the zebras are just paranoid of the stars and that being a star maiden doesn't necessarily make someone evil. What I mean by that is when blackjack dies she sees six stars make the EOS retreat. What if the other stars in FoE universe are other alicorns and that blackjack really is the star maiden, but not the maiden for the EOS?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Weren't they talking about Lacunae, though, not Psalm?
Hm. Maybe so. Blackjack, ch 58: "Any soul connected to that body had been Psalm’s, not Lacunae’s. "
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 pm

cb5 wrote:I just realized something.  There's all the talk about blackjack being the star maiden and the eater of souls.  What if the zebras are just paranoid of the stars and that being a star maiden doesn't necessarily make someone evil.  What I mean by that is when blackjack dies she sees six stars make the EOS retreat.  What if the other stars in FoE universe are other alicorns and that blackjack really is the star maiden, but not the maiden for the EOS?
Um... could you quote the passage you're referring to? Because I can't find anything about six stars driving back the EoS. The stars' songs hold back the dark things that live in the infinite void, but the EoS is not one of them.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I mean, the way it's described is that pony goes in, alicorn comes out. It's 1 to 1 with no known instances of if the Goddess could just pop out an alicorn at any time to replace one that was lost. And if we go with just because the alicorn was killed the pony she was based on is still alive, either those ponies finally got to die and rest in peace, or they ended up being shoved into alicorns with other ponies.
Right. Since they're all sharing minds, as long as the Unity holds, it doesn't matter how many minds vs how many bodies. But once the Goddess is destroyed, the souls are attracted back to the bodies that were originally theirs (one presumes that the "budding" or "birthing" process retains the body as a whole unit). They don't just go to random bodies. If a soul has no specific body to go to, it passes on, like Twilight did.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:53 pm

cb5 wrote:I just realized something.  There's all the talk about blackjack being the star maiden and the eater of souls.
I don't think anyone ever accused Blackjack of being the Eater of Souls.

What if the zebras are just paranoid of the stars and that being a star maiden doesn't necessarily make someone evil.
Well, the first one certainly was (Nightmare Moon) but I think that's definitely the implication.  Either the Maiden of the Stars is not supposed to be evil, and NMM was a failed maiden who got in bed with the Eater; or the Maiden has a choice and NMM took the wrong one.

Also refer back to my comment from some pages back about the nature of prophecy in literature:
Spoilered for space:
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:13 am

FeatherDust wrote:That's the one we think refers to using her left hoof's pipbuck to target a firing of Celestia One's sunbeam-laser.  The right hoof calling the moon probably refers to the moonrocks necessary to destroy the Eater.  Possibly activating Project Horizons.[/spoiler]
I think I remember Celestia One needing multiple Unicorns to operate. I don't think it can be remote-controlled like that.
Derpmind
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 am

SilentCarto wrote:
cb5 wrote:I just realized something.  There's all the talk about blackjack being the star maiden and the eater of souls.  What if the zebras are just paranoid of the stars and that being a star maiden doesn't necessarily make someone evil.  What I mean by that is when blackjack dies she sees six stars make the EOS retreat.  What if the other stars in FoE universe are other alicorns and that blackjack really is the star maiden, but not the maiden for the EOS?
Um... could you quote the passage you're referring to? Because I can't find anything about six stars driving back the EoS. The stars' songs hold back the dark things that live in the infinite void, but the EoS is not one of them.
I thought the infinite void was the EoS.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:17 am

swicked wrote:
cb5 wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:
I thought the infinite void was the EoS.
No, in BJ's first afterlife experience, the EoS was a star that was deathly afraid of the dark and starting singing louder and louder to drive the dark back, destroying and absorbing other stars and their voices to increase the power of its note.

The stars attacked it because of this and it was thrown down to the planet.
It tried singing some more and started bringing more stars in, I think then one of the biggest stars decided to try and stop it and crashed down into it, driving it into the earth and creating the princesses in the process (or, at least, Luna and Celestia).

...and I think that's all I remember off the top of my head...
Is it just me or that a metaphor for the process of the death of a super massive star?  Super massive stars that originated at the beginning of the universe were a fuck ton larger than anything we can imagine and their lifespan was much shorter resulting them in going supernova and creating blackholes from collapsing in on themselves.  Everything that makes us up obviously was once a star.  I guess you call call the EoS Celestia and Luna's dad in that case if the matter exploded from the supernova created their solar system.  Which would mean super alicorn final boss that is the avatar for a blackhole instead of Celestia and Luna being avatars for the sun and moon.  That would be bitching to see Blackjack go up against such a alicorn.

Or Celestia and Luna's dad/mom is now a neutron star cause neutron stars primarily emit radiation, they could be a neutron star cause neutron stars are made out of the densest material in the universe, however I doubt that's starmetal cause if neutronium was on a planet it would immediately shot downwards to the core like a rocket and then bob up and down like a pendulum from gravity and the planet would begin to internally heat up until the surface became magma and kill everything . . wait scratch that I don't think the EoS is the alicorn for a neutron star cause a micro blackhole would shoot through anything and everything like a bullet(the star trek reboot was full of shit cause it ignores entropy loss and while yes a micro blackhole could destroy a planet you would need more mass than that to create a gravity well large enough to do that. In short you would need a blackhole with the same mass as the earth to do something like in the star trek reboot, micro blackholes would lose entropy far to fast or shoot straight through the planet), whereas neutronium would kill everything.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:15 am

cb5 wrote:Is it just me or that a metaphor for the process of the death of a super massive star?  Super massive stars that originated at the beginning of the universe were a fuck ton larger than anything we can imagine and their lifespan was much shorter resulting them in going supernova and creating blackholes from collapsing in on themselves.  Everything that makes us up obviously was once a star.  I guess you call call the EoS Celestia and Luna's dad in that case if the matter exploded from the supernova created their solar system.  Which would mean super alicorn final boss that is the avatar for a blackhole instead of Celestia and Luna being avatars for the sun and moon.  That would be bitching to see Blackjack go up against such a alicorn.

Or Celestia and Luna's dad/mom is now a neutron star cause neutron stars primarily emit radiation, they could be a neutron star cause neutron stars are made out of the densest material in the universe, however I doubt that's starmetal cause if neutronium was on a planet it would immediately shot downwards to the core like a rocket and then bob up and down like a pendulum from gravity and the planet would begin to internally heat up until the surface became magma and kill everything . . 
Celestia and Luna (the two lesser lights) were formed from the body of the champion star that sacrificed itself to throw down the shrieking star.  The remainder of the shrieking star was, with time, buried under what is now known as Hoofington (though I think I read somewhere about fragments falling as starmetal meteorites every thousand years or so).Horse and Goldenblood later found it and named it "Tokomare", sticking giant plugs into it and trying to use it to power the city of Hoofington.

As for the material itself, it's not so much dense (Blackjack couldn't swing a neutronium sword) as it is magically unique- only certain magical frequencies can affect it and when given power it emits the enervation fields.  Starmetal is really just a giant tuning fork that brings everything into monotony with the Tokomare core, feeding it souls to push back the fear of the dark (kind of like what the Goddess was doing, but with results like the Choir).  Man, come to think of it, Goddess and Choir were like EoS and TotS' ugly bang babies.  Don't think about it. Don't think about it! Don't think about- ulp!~

Twilight

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 21

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 am

Derpmind wrote:
I think I remember Celestia One needing multiple Unicorns to operate. I don't think it can be remote-controlled like that.
Not exactly. It took a group to cast it from the megaspell chamber in Tenpony.

But in the tunnels under Hoofington, we saw giant crystals being used to store megaspells ready for use, and "Tom" was still fully charged. These would be single shot spells, but presumably would not require a team of casters to run. It may well be as simple as sending the computer an execute command.

Besides, a prophecy to call down sunfire? What else would that be but Celly One?
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:23 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Edity Stuff! Whee!:
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 am

Luminous Lead wrote:Celestia and Luna (the two lesser lights) were formed from the body of the champion star that sacrificed itself to throw down the shrieking star.  The remainder of the shrieking star was, with time, buried under what is now known as Hoofington (though I think I read somewhere about fragments falling as starmetal meteorites every thousand years or so).Horse and Goldenblood later found it and named it "Tokomare", sticking giant plugs into it and trying to use it to power the city of Hoofington.

As for the material itself, it's not so much dense (Blackjack couldn't swing a neutronium sword) as it is magically unique- only certain magical frequencies can affect it and when given power it emits the enervation fields.  Starmetal is really just a giant tuning fork that brings everything into monotony with the Tokomare core, feeding it souls to push back the fear of the dark (kind of like what the Goddess was doing, but with results like the Choir).  Man, come to think of it, Goddess and Choir were like EoS and TotS' ugly bang babies.  Don't think about it. Don't think about it! Don't think about- ulp!~

Twilight
I was talking in a non metaphorical sense. What I mean could the EoS be a alicorn for a star that went supernova?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 pm

swicked wrote:No, in BJ's first afterlife experience, the EoS was a star that was deathly afraid of the dark and starting singing louder and louder to drive the dark back, destroying and absorbing other stars and their voices to increase the power of its note.

The stars attacked it because of this and it was thrown down to the planet.
It tried singing some more and started bringing more stars in, I think then one of the biggest stars decided to try and stop it and crashed down into it, driving it into the earth and creating the princesses in the process (or, at least, Luna and Celestia).

...and I think that's all I remember off the top of my head...
Close. The star that would be the EoS was proud, and in his hubris, he tried to hold back the dark all on his own. He failed, and in his rejection of Harmony, his song became corrupted into a painful scream. He exploded, but he refused to let his life spread out to spark new lives across the universe; instead, he pulled his soul back together as something dark and cruel, continuing to scream and disrupting the song around him. Another star finally had enough and attacked him, destroying itself to end the dark star's interference. All that was left was the iron core that we call the Eater of Souls. It drifted for a while, until it happened to encounter Equestria and fell as a meteor. It lay dormant under Hoofington for a long time, until the Starkatteri discovered it and started worshiping it. They almost managed to help it rise again, but another star fell to stop it forever. Instead, that star was consumed, and the fragments of its life that escaped became Celestia and Luna (or empowered the Sun and Moon, to which a couple of natural-born ponies were later bound -- that bit is unclear.)

cb5 wrote:Is it just me or that a metaphor for the process of the death of a super massive star?
Oh, absolutely!

cb5 wrote:I guess you call call the EoS Celestia and Luna's dad in that case if the matter exploded from the supernova created their solar system.
Not exactly. Their parent, assuming they were created at that point, was the star that fell on the Starkatteri city. The Equestria system was already in existence and bearing life when the Eater of Souls crashed down and extincted the dinosaurs.

cb5 wrote:Which would mean super alicorn final boss that is the avatar for a blackhole instead of Celestia and Luna being avatars for the sun and moon.  That would be bitching to see Blackjack go up against such a alicorn.
I rather doubt it. First, the star-alicorns are a spiritual projection. BJ describes it like how you can see your hoof and the room at the same time if you hold your hoof in front of one eye. They are simultaneously glowing alicorns of great power, and flaming balls of gas (or whatever stars are in this cosmos, since one can crash into a planet and cause merely regional destruction rather than consuming it whole.)

Second, the EoS strikes me a bit like Azathoth, in that you can't fight him physically. Not that he's too powerful to overcome, but that it would be like trying to make oatmeal cry. Your attacks aren't just too weak to hurt him, they're not even capable of affecting him in a harmful way. Megaspells, maybe, but Sanguine said that starmetal absolutely neutralizes any (mortal) magic you throw at it.

I doubt that's starmetal cause if neutronium was on a planet it would immediately shot downwards to the core like a rocket and then bob up and down like a pendulum from gravity...
Well, it would be hard to make a sword out of neutronium, since it's a liquid quadrillions of times denser than lead... but Sanguine referred to starmetal as "meteoric iron" in chapter chapter 39, so it would seem that it's nothing exotic outside of its magical properties.

cb5 wrote:I was talking in a non metaphorical sense.  What I mean could the EoS be a alicorn for a star that went supernova?
No, I don't think so. Supernovas are their usual end:

And I watched as one of these luminary beings grew bright, and in a burst of light and song disappeared.  The glowing cloud left behind spread, and new lights began to settle on other worlds or birth new luminary beings.

The EoS was something different, unnatural. A star that burned out and exploded, but then somehow pulled itself back together.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 pm

While looking over chapter 1a yesterday, I saw something I want to check that I'm interpreting right. The Overmare's list of "Enemys", taped to her desk, is written in poor penmanship and the #1 spot goes to "Overmare". BJ thinks that means the Overmare considers herself her own worst enemy, but it actually means she started this list as a child, and the first entry was her mother, right?

...remind me how the old Overmare died?

Editing:
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 pm

SilentCarto wrote:There are a few spots in PH where energy weapons are accidentally referred to as "laser" or "plasma", which should probably be changed to "beam", "incineration", or "magical energy" as appropriate.
I strongly disagree. Not all magical beams are lasers, but it's not too far off to think that some spells can cause coherent light. On the flipside, while laser might not be a scientifically accurate description, as far as common vernacular goes people recognize lasers even if they're the silly sci-fi star-trek blaster version. Same goes for plasma, only more so because even fire is technically a plasma.
Derpmind
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:23 pm

SilentCarto wrote:While looking over chapter 1a yesterday, I saw something I want to check that I'm interpreting right. The Overmare's list of "Enemys", taped to her desk, is written in poor penmanship and the #1 spot goes to "Overmare". BJ thinks that means the Overmare considers herself her own worst enemy, but it actually means she started this list as a child, and the first entry was her mother, right?

...remind me how the old Overmare died?
Very suddenly, as I recall...
Ah yes, here it is:
So I did it myself.  I waited till she was drunk… I stole the razor from the dresser... one cut… and then I was Overmare.
SilentCarto wrote:
Editing:
Ah, thank you very much.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Derpmind wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:There are a few spots in PH where energy weapons are accidentally referred to as "laser" or "plasma", which should probably be changed to "beam", "incineration", or "magical energy" as appropriate.
I strongly disagree. Not all magical beams are lasers, but it's not too far off to think that some spells can cause coherent light. On the flipside, while laser might not be a scientifically accurate description, as far as common vernacular goes people recognize lasers even if they're the silly sci-fi star-trek blaster version. Same goes for plasma, only more so because even fire is technically a plasma.
It's easier to change it for consistency, though. Also, that's our common vernacular. Equestria, however, had experience with magical energy beams of one sort or another long before they worked with coherent light beams; their common vernacular, I expect, would be to mistakenly call lasers magical energy beams, not the other way around.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:29 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Derpmind wrote:
It's easier to change it for consistency, though.  Also, that's our common vernacular.  Equestria, however, had experience with magical energy beams of one sort or another long before they worked with coherent light beams; their common vernacular, I expect, would be to mistakenly call lasers magical energy beams, not the other way around.
That's actually a very good point. Probably Twilight and her ilk would be the only ones using "laser," given the different context. That said, plasma weaponry is definitely a feature of Fallout: Equestria, even if it's rarely mentioned in Project Horizons. Lasers, on the other hand, show up only once in the original and that may be a mistake.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Derpmind wrote:I strongly disagree. Not all magical beams are lasers, but it's not too far off to think that some spells can cause coherent light. On the flipside, while laser might not be a scientifically accurate description, as far as common vernacular goes people recognize lasers even if they're the silly sci-fi star-trek blaster version. Same goes for plasma, only more so because even fire is technically a plasma.
Kkat was very careful not to use the word "laser" since they're not light beams of any sort, but incineration spells. I think it's worth carrying that distinction forward. (Though even she slipped up, precisely once.)

O. Hinds wrote:It's easier to change it for consistency, though.  Also, that's our common vernacular.  Equestria, however, had experience with magical energy beams of one sort or another long before they worked with coherent light beams; their common vernacular, I expect, would be to mistakenly call lasers magical energy beams, not the other way around.
For the sake of correctness, there has been exactly one mention of lasers in MLP -- Con Mane used a laser defense grid to chop up the MMM cake in Pinkie's imagination, and Twilight did use the word "laser" in refuting it. So the targeting doohickey in BJ's cyber-eyes is probably an actual, factual light-amplification-by-stimulated-emission-of-radiation laser.

I should correct myself, though, that Kkat frequently uses the phrase "magical plasma", or just "plasma", so that one is probably just fine as is. I apologize -- I should have checked both of these sources before I posted.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:04 am

That's fine. I don't think that I shall change it back, though, as the more generic versions in now work fine for either case.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 am

Icy Shake wrote:That's actually a very good point. Probably Twilight and her ilk would be the only ones using "laser," given the different context. That said, plasma weaponry is definitely a feature of Fallout: Equestria, even if it's rarely mentioned in Project Horizons. Lasers, on the other hand, show up only once in the original and that may be a mistake.
Yeah, I derped my bubbly gray butt off on that one. I recalled Kkat using some terribly awkward phrases like "magical energy grenade" to avoid saying "laser" or "plasma", and I failed to actually check if I remembered right before I posted. Still, I'm positive that you're correct that her one use of the word "laser" was a mistake. She went so far out of her way to avoid using "laser", it had to be deliberate.

O. Hinds wrote:That's fine.  I don't think that I shall change it back, though, as the more generic versions in now work fine for either case.
Sure thing. I just feel bad about making you change stuff that didn't need it, given how much work I give you on legit errors!

Edit: ...uh. That wasn't meant as a jab at Somber, or anything. I'm a stickler and I know it. Shy
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Second, the EoS strikes me a bit like Azathoth, in that you can't fight him physically. Not that he's too powerful to overcome, but that it would be like trying to make oatmeal cry.
Why would you do that?! Derpy Hooves 

Well, it would be hard to make a sword out of neutronium, since it's a liquid quadrillions of times denser than lead... but Sanguine referred to starmetal as "meteoric iron" in chapter chapter 39, so it would seem that it's nothing exotic outside of its magical properties.
I've always wondered how they forge Starmetal, considering it's supposed to be virtually indestructible. If a starmetal blade can survive being ground in machinery that should've wrecked the edge (if not destroyed the blade), how did they forge the blade and put an edge to it in the first place?
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:30 pm

FeatherDust wrote:I've always wondered how they forge Starmetal, considering it's supposed to be virtually indestructible.  If a starmetal blade can survive being ground in machinery that should've wrecked the edge (if not destroyed the blade), how did they forge the blade and put an edge to it in the first place?
PH Ch. 44 wrote:
oooOOOooo

The unicorn mare I occupied walked carefully up towards the dark cottage on the hillside overlooking the pouring river and knocked her hoof on the front door.  “Princess Luna?” she called out in worry.  Then she knocked again, then finally used her magic to open the door.  The interior was pitch black.  “Princess Luna?” she called in a weaker voice.  The light of her horn reflected off countless polished silver stars set in the walls and ceiling.  A strange, ominous note rose up from the basement, and she hesitated a moment at the door.  “P… princess?”

The basement door was blown open by a dark wind that scooped the mare up and carried her down the steps into the earth, dumping her in a heap behind the glorious dark princess.  A work table was set up in the middle of the subterranean room.  Strange and exotic zebra statues loomed on like silent mentors examining their student’s work.  Hammers and tongs lay tossed aside next to a cold forge.  She shaped the metal with her magic alone.  “YES!?” she boomed as the silvery steel twisted in the air before her.

The force of her voice nearly knocked my host over.  “P… Princess?  Thy… thy sister… she sent us to find thee.  She hath been forced to raise both sun and the moon for three days and nights.”  The Princess flinched at the word ‘sister’.  The hum grew stronger, and the shadows cast by the pale light of her horn moved unnaturally, as though they were peering at us.

“SO!  IT TAKETH HER THREE DAYS FOR TO SEEK ME.  And she didn’t come herself.  Surprise surprise,” the Princess said, her boom dying to a normal voice as her horn glowed, that oppressive hum filling the air.

“Princess?  Art thou well?” the unicorn asked in fear.

“Nay, we are not!” she said with a stomp of her hoof as her head fell.  “She doesn’t need us.  Nopony does.”  Her eyes glared at the metal as it finished shaping into a helmet.  “Well, if she can raise the sun and the moon, why can’t we?  Why can’t we do both just as well as she can?” she demanded as she whirled, facing me as tears ran down her cheeks.  “We don’t need her.  WE can do it all ourself!”

“Princess!” the unicorn gasped, backing away.

“NAY!” she said as she magically put the pieces of armor in place.  She seemed to swell and grow darker.  It was as if she was drinking in that horrible humming scream all at once.  Her starry mane grew cold and hard.  Her coat turned black as pitch.  “WE ARE A PRINCESS NO LONGER!  WE HAVE NO SISTER!  IF PONYKIND HATES AND FEARS US, THEN LET THEM HAVE OUR NIGHT IN WRATH INSTEAD OF BEAUTY!”

And with that she exploded into a cloud of darkness, and everything went black.  Beneath it all, the hum persisted in its steady, proud drone….

oooOOOooo
I included the whole scene because it's epic, but basically we see Luna shaping starmetal with her magic. Right afterward we see Luna being shaped by magic. I think that enervation might be starmetal forcing the magic of life right out of existence, but if someone resonates with the EoS' tune they not only can reshape starmetal, they themselves are reshaped by its power. For example the choir wasn't killed by the starmetal, they were forced by its power to sing with it.

There have been ponies and zebras in the setting's history who have used the power of starmetal and in turn been changed by it as well. One of them is Goldenblood. I really don't think Project Horizons is anything but an attempt to use the Tokomare to win the war, and I believe that Goldenblood realized far too late that if Project Horizons was activated then the only contingency plan that would matter is one he can't accomplish: Casting down the moon to obliterate the planet
Derpmind
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:54 am

Somber made an update on his blog.

Also, I'm a little surprised that the entire day noone said anything about my last post. I guess that means I'm completely right and all speculation of PH is over. Go me!

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 Fwump

Edit: The Fallout: Equestria game moved to Unity, and a bunch of other stuff too.
Derpmind
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 29 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next