Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+47
Third Wind
Scienza
Admiral Stoic Rum
Tytan
Necr0maNceR
cb5
Karasu
Exodus Hero
Aonee
Revan Seiei
FoolNeim
Plasticube
Technowolf
Mister Nikel
TalixZero
Vixie
WovenTales
FeatherDust
Ketchup
Sparklecake
Kaidon
Luminous Lead
Frost
thatguyvex
hawkeye92
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Somber
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
Katarn
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
Vergil
Harmony Ltd.
Derpmind
ARoundCorner
Caoimhe
Meleagridis
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
HillBilly-Drew
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Icy Shake
CD
51 posters

Page 21 of 29 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 29  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Stringtheory Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:So, just to barge in without knocking, is there any chance of Project Horizons getting uploaded to FiMFiction?
It would be much earier to keep track of chapter updates and more accessible, up-to-date downloads (at the very least).

I realize it would just be another PH page to manage/moderate which would only mean more work for the people involved, that's why I'm only asking about it, not outright suggesting it.

EDIT: It's entirely possible it's already been asked (maybe even by me, I don't remember Spike) and answered, but I'm not willing to to go through all the Comment Threads to find out and the search feature is kinda retarded/useless.
I'm sure it could be uploaded if you're willing to proofread all million plus words to make sure it imports correctly from gdocs.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:27 pm

stringtheory wrote:I'm sure it could be uploaded if you're willing to proofread all million plus words to make sure it imports correctly from gdocs.
Weeeell, I was planning on doing a second round with FOE and PH sooner or later... Twilight crazy 

Do you mean the import actually screwing something up (words, sentences, paragraphs), or just stylistic/formatting issues?
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
stringtheory wrote:I'm sure it could be uploaded if you're willing to proofread all million plus words to make sure it imports correctly from gdocs.
Weeeell, I was planning on doing a second round with FOE and PH sooner or later... Twilight crazy 

Do you mean the import actually screwing something up (words, sentences, paragraphs), or just stylistic/formatting issues?
Most likely both, however I've never used the gdocs importer. Though I do like reading in gdocs then on FiMfiction because gdocs has pages which somehow makes it seem shorter/easier to read in my mind. Plus notification isn't that big of an issue for me, because I hang around here way too much.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:46 pm

stringtheory wrote:Most likely both, however I've never used the gdocs importer. Though I do like reading in gdocs then on FiMfiction because gdocs has pages which somehow makes it seem shorter/easier to read in my mind. Plus notification isn't that big of an issue for me, because I hang around here way too much.
Well, I tried creating a test story and importing the first chapter of PH. It seems to remove whitelines between paragraphs (Only one, that is, if there's more it keeps the rest as it is.) and font scaling (in the footnote), keeps italics intact.
I'll try importing and proofreading the first chapter of each Volume for screw-ups in grammar. There's a chance for each indivudal chapter/file to be faulty, but if four random files get through intact (aside from the slight formatting issues) it lowers the overall probability.

Also, I don't read on FiMFiction either, usually, I use it to keep track of stories (even though they kinda messed up the interface lately) and download the fanfics from there to ebook. I know I can download the chapters from gdocs, but downloading individual chapters can get kinda messy after a while and the epub/pdf versions there are usually out-of-date (not trying to be mean or anything, just plainly saying how it is). On FiMFiction the downloads don't have to be maintained separately from the story as they're automatically put together from the chapters you put in.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:28 pm

@Formis_Fluttergod: Well, good luck with that. I personally don't know how necessary it is, given this thread and Equestria Daily as primary sources for the announcement, plus probably 4chan, TVTropes, and FimFiction groups (and likely more) as secondary sources, but it couldn't hurt. On formatting, if FimFiction kills the spaces between paragraphs, thank the Sisters Empyreal that the paragraphs are indented. And just checking a few chapters is probably the way to go; even a very fast reader would take literally over two solid days most of a day to read PH (assuming ~2k words/min.), and reading checking for errors takes longer than reading for pleasure; I can only imagine that cross-checking for differences would take longer still. Speaking of . . .

Chapter twenty two.
It might get more violent, more vile, more hopeless than this (or "dark" if you're lazy or want to piss Somber off), but it's hard to think of where. This, probably beyond all others, was an unnecessary defeat that appropriately weighs upon Blackjack's mind and soul. It's true, there were some great strokes of luck, salvaging something from this fiasco, but to be so undone by pride and mere ignorance . . . I wonder if there was some Apple in Rivets's line.

Even early on, this chapter hits hard. There are different ways to enjoy it (sadistically, masochistically, hero worship), but it's hard to get behind it as a simple adventure story. (Most of) these ponies didn't deserve to have this happen to them, but because the world is fucked, it did. (And then, at the end, it happened again, and arguably worse.) Who but the sadist could take satisfaction from killing the monsters who used to be [(largely) misguided mares, part of an evil society, certainly, but who knew nothing else] but are now pathological killers? Sure, there were the Overmare and Daisy, but the rest were just doing their jobs until recently, and though wrong, certainly lived in something resembling a state of innocence, or at least enforced ignorance. Who but the masochist could wish to identify with Blackjack in these times? The hero worshiper may love that she overcomes her ties to the past, but isn't the fact that this world demands heroes of this type depressing? What's left, but pain and anguish and regret?

Chapter Twenty Two Running Thoughts:
Chapter Twenty Two Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Scienza wrote:Since I now have a place to vent my fangushing, prepare for incoming somewhat out-of-date fangushing.

[fangushing]

I've been rereading Lucidity and I've realized why I love it so bloody much. Not only is it utterly believable (and in fact, "answers" a lot of questions about Blackjack's unkillableness), but it makes the reader, to some extent, want it to be true. Those sequences with Blackjack and Gin Rummy were just heartbreaking. You get to see her get a small bit of the closure she never had with her mother, and she's utterly torn between what she wants and what she knows to be true. It's just fantastic. Great job, Somber and assorted amazing magical editor men.

[/fangushing]
Yeah... on one hoof, you want BJ to be right that she's a hero, not a lunatic. On the other, it would be really nice to think that all this horror exists only in the head of one severely disturbed pony.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:39 am

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:So, just to barge in without knocking, is there any chance of Project Horizons getting uploaded to FiMFiction?
It would be much earier to keep track of chapter updates and more accessible, up-to-date downloads (at the very least).

I realize it would just be another PH page to manage/moderate which would only mean more work for the people involved, that's why I'm only asking about it, not outright suggesting it.

EDIT: It's entirely possible it's already been asked (maybe even by me, I don't remember Spike) and answered, but I'm not willing to to go through all the Comment Threads to find out and the search feature is kinda retarded/useless.
Not until PH is finished, sorry.

And duplicate any changes we make to the Gdocs, don't forget.

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:Do you mean the import actually screwing something up (words, sentences, paragraphs), or just stylistic/formatting issues?
Both.

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:Also, I don't read on FiMFiction either, usually, I use it to keep track of stories (even though they kinda messed up the interface lately) and download the fanfics from there to ebook. I know I can download the chapters from gdocs, but downloading individual chapters can get kinda messy after a while and the epub/pdf versions there are usually out-of-date (not trying to be mean or anything, just plainly saying how it is).
http://nallar.me/fics
It's not perfect, but it's a single download and automatically updated.

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:On FiMFiction the downloads don't have to be maintained separately from the story as they're automatically put together from the chapters you put in.
Really, the FIMFiction system can take live updates from Gdocs? I've never heard that before. Even so, we'd probably still have to inspect for formatting.

Icy Shake wrote:Chapter twenty two.
It might get more violent, more vile, more hopeless than this (or "dark" if you're lazy or want to piss Somber off), but it's hard to think of where. This, probably beyond all others, was an unnecessary defeat that appropriately weighs upon Blackjack's mind and soul. It's true, there were some great strokes of luck, salvaging something from this fiasco, but to be so undone by pride and mere ignorance . . . I wonder if there was some Apple in Rivets's line.

Even early on, this chapter hits hard. There are different ways to enjoy it (sadistically, masochistically, hero worship), but it's hard to get behind it as a simple adventure story. (Most of) these ponies didn't deserve to have this happen to them, but because the world is fucked, it did. (And then, at the end, it happened again, and arguably worse.) Who but the sadist could take satisfaction from killing the monsters who used to be [(largely) misguided mares, part of an evil society, certainly, but who knew nothing else] but are now pathological killers? Sure, there were the Overmare and Daisy, but the rest were just doing their jobs until recently, and though wrong, certainly lived in something resembling a state of innocence, or at least enforced ignorance. Who but the masochist could wish to identify with Blackjack in these times? The hero worshiper may love that she overcomes her ties to the past, but isn't the fact that this world demands heroes of this type depressing? What's left, but pain and anguish and regret?

Chapter Twenty Two Running Thoughts:
Chapter Twenty Two Editing:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:Yeah, it's been a little while since they met, but I'm not sure it was long enough to go from a buzz cut to having bangs.
Sigh. Yes, I know, but we've already been over this.

Icy Shake wrote:I don't really know what this means. I am, of course, familiar with the idiom "hang in there," but I don't think I've ever heard it without the "there."
…I can't think of any better way to say this, though, I'm afraid.

Icy Shake wrote:Now, this is something that is largely a matter of location. Generally speaking, in American English groups, companies, etc. are treated as single entities, e.g. "McDonald's is the foremost fast food company in the country," where the British (and possibly others) tend to treat such groups as the collection of multiple individuals (McDonald's are the . . . ). At different points, you use each with respect to the Enclave, and possibly other groups as well. Do you have a preference between the two?
I'm afraid that I don't know. It's probably a result of having team components from both sides of the pond. You've seen the apostrophe difficulties we sometimes have…

SilentCarto wrote:Yeah… on one hoof, you want BJ to be right that she's a hero, not a lunatic. On the other, it would be really nice to think that all this horror exists only in the head of one severely disturbed pony.
Have I plugged Asylum to you yet? Because it's sort of a whole story like that, though about Twilight instead of Blackjack.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:29 am

Icy Shake wrote:@Formis_Fluttergod: Well, good luck with that. I personally don't know how necessary it is, given this thread and Equestria Daily as primary sources for the announcement, plus probably 4chan, TVTropes, and FimFiction groups (and likely more) as secondary sources, but it couldn't hurt...
Well I had a source on DeviantART, one guy was uploading numerous ponyfics in well-formatted pdfs and regularly updated, but went "dead" ever since chapter 49.

O. Hinds wrote:
Not until PH is finished, sorry.
Very well then, looking forward to that. Twilight Sparkle 

O. Hinds wrote:
Formis_Fluttergod wrote:Also, I don't read on FiMFiction either, usually, I use it to keep track of stories (even though they kinda messed up the interface lately) and download the fanfics from there to ebook. I know I can download the chapters from gdocs, but downloading individual chapters can get kinda messy after a while and the epub/pdf versions there are usually out-of-date (not trying to be mean or anything, just plainly saying how it is).
http://nallar.me/fics
It's not perfect, but it's a single download and automatically updated.
Yeah, I tried that one, the formatting didn't look ideally on my ebook, but I'm switching from epub to html because of FiMFiction screwing up their epub formatting, so I might try it again.

O. Hinds wrote:
Formis_Fluttergod wrote:On FiMFiction the downloads don't have to be maintained separately from the story as they're automatically put together from the chapters you put in.
Really, the FIMFiction system can take live updates from Gdocs?  I've never heard that before.  Even so, we'd probably still have to inspect for formatting.
Nah, that's not what I meant. The story still has to be uploaded manually, but the downloads automatically generate with the chapters uploaded to FiMFiction.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:44 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Yeah, it's been a little while since they met, but I'm not sure it was long enough to go from a buzz cut to having bangs.
Sigh.  Yes, I know, but we've already been over this.
Oh. I'm sorry I forgot; I'll try to remember in the future.

Anyway, it seems like I've been on quite a PH kick this weekend: I just finished rereading twenty three. And you know how from time to time I say that the scenes bookending the trip to the dragon cave are some of my favorites in the story? I may need to adjust that a bit, because this entire chapter leading up to it fit that. Sure, the parts right at the end were the most acutely affecting, but the rest was up there, too. And the entire chapter just works wonderfully as the slog to Star Point, showing each little bit of joy fading to meaninglessness and defeat, showing how even all Blackjack has can't just take away the pain, making life bearable or giving her something to live for—and it doesn't help knowing how much this in particular will hurt later on. Even the memories tie in: those from Unity reminding Blackjack that for all the pain and death and hopelessness she sees, there's a whole Wasteland and hundreds of years more that she never experienced, and the Doof orb being a reminder of how even when (almost) no one wanted anything bad to happen, a bunch of little events can come together to bring about the worst—much like what had just happened with 99—so she'd just see it happen over and over again. The Star Point recording, of course, serves both as a poignant contrast to her situation and the transition to one of the great turning points in Blackjack's life—all while serving as developing her background.

Again, this is a hard chapter to get through. Beautiful as it is—and make no mistake, it is most certainly that—walking in Blackjack's shoes at this time hurts, and makes you wish, along with her, that you could just stop feeling everything that's tearing her apart.

Also, I now rather wish I could read whatever obituary DJ P0n3 might have given for Security, upon seeing her pull the trigger and die, completing suicide alone on that cliff by the ocean in a world where the safety was off or the Stars didn't respond to her prayer.

Chapter Twenty Three Running Thoughts:
(Mostly) Chapter Twenty Three Editing:
I may continue on with twenty four this evening; this is a heck of a place to just stop.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:Nah, that's not what I meant. The story still has to be uploaded manually, but the downloads automatically generate with the chapters uploaded to FiMFiction.
…Sorry, but I'm not really understanding you here.

Icy Shake wrote:
(Mostly) Chapter Twenty Three Editing:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:37 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Formis_Fluttergod wrote:Nah, that's not what I meant. The story still has to be uploaded manually, but the downloads automatically generate with the chapters uploaded to FiMFiction.
…Sorry, but I'm not really understanding you here.
If you look at a story's front page, next to the wordcount for each chapter is an icon that lets you download the chapter. (You can also download the entire story at once with the icons next to the 'complete' and 'incomplete' right below the chapter listing.) Formis is saying that the downloads are automatically generated for every story uploaded to FiMFic.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Oh! Thanks, Derpmind. I think the problem may have been significantly different mindsets. I don't download stories to read them in that way, whereas I do have to deal with extensive editing.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Oh!  Thanks, Derpmind.  I think the problem may have been significantly different mindsets.  I don't download stories to read them in that way, whereas I do have to deal with extensive editing.
Yeah, I kind of get where you're coming from. There are basically four reasons I have downloaded stories:

1. To have them available for a vacation when I wouldn't have internet access
  2. When they are on fanfiction.net, because the formatting and UI there are almost beyond awful (sadly, there is no fainting Rarity emoticon)
  3. When Device Herectic announced he would be taking his stories offline due to the trolling he was suffering, apparently including someone/some people working to keep him from getting a job
  4. To facilitate speed reading Murky Number Seven chapters twelve through twenty

Anyway, I did end up reading chapter twenty four today. And I'm glad I did. It was far more upbeat than the last two, but not with quite the same increasing-amplitude pendulum action that MN7 has going on.

As is often the case with the happier chapters, there's a lot of good humor going on, especially because Providence has seen fit to unite Blackjack with some liquor. Using her history of gelding guys to her advantage plays nicely with the tone of the chapter, and the Neighvarro squad is a lot of fun, even if it's mainly Twister since she gets the most screen time. Now, I get why the fight with Brass's manticores was there, but if they didn't show up again later in the chapter and serve an important role as deus ex machina, I'd unambiguously say that the role could have been filled entirely by the battle with the Thunderhead Enclave; even with that, I wonder if the two could have been merged.

On that note, the building with respect to the Enclave's structure and internal divisions was good, as was the second Star Point recording. The timing of my reread was fortuitous, given how relevant all this is to the current releases. However, that does highlight something that's a little off: Twister's accent is far, far more pronounced here than in recent chapters, when she might get an unusual contraction or word choice every now and again. Maybe that's by design, but I'm not sure, given that it seems like she probably returned to Neighvarro.

Oh, and because what I said in the last couple of chapters could make me come across as a fawning, mindless sycophant, let me add a couple more pieces of minor criticism beyond suggestions at or below the sentence level: I don't really think that chapters using in medias res fit that well with the general framing of the story as occurring linearly, with certain gaps where the viewpoint character is knocked out or some such (don't take this as applying to "Lucidity," of course, where the unusual state of mind—which goes far beyond depression or suicidal drives—justifies the move, especially in conjunction with the maintenance of the mystery of the chapter), especially when (as was the case in chapter twenty) the time jumps back and forth repeatedly for a while, but then moves back to linear progression while still fairly early in the chapter (yet for all that it clashes with the normal progression, the effect of having the culmination of Star Point looming over the rest of chapter twenty four was at the very least useful in setting the tone, so . . . I don't know, maybe there is no perfect way to balance the general structure with local benefits while making no sacrifices); and part of the reason I feel ambiguous about Deus, especially before his recent return, is because it seems like he is somewhat inconsistently characterized, sometimes almost a tool to be aimed by others, sometimes acting as his own agent. I know that the special circumstances surrounding his key event are, well, special, and as I said, a lot of unfortunate things came together all at once to enable it, but there it is. Granted, it's likely that that's intentional, especially considering the highly limited form of the narrator, and the return seems to add a great deal of important information, so maybe it's all by design, but it still niggles at me a bit. (Well, moving up from sycophant to preemptive apologist is something, right? Derpy Hooves I swear I didn't mean for it to go this way!)

Otherwise, we get our first introduction to Psychoshy, who steals the show on her entrance as would retroactively be expected, and the tension regarding the reunion with the rest of the party (ex-Rampage) continues to grow.

Chapter Twenty Four Running Thoughts:
Chapter twenty four editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:28 am

Icy Shake wrote:
Chapter twenty four editing:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 am

O. Hinds wrote:Oh!  Thanks, Derpmind.  I think the problem may have been significantly different mindsets.  I don't download stories to read them in that way, whereas I do have to deal with extensive editing.
I always find it odd how even though the mind is naturally flexible and weirdly capable, sometimes the biggest barriers to understanding something is the walls your mind has set for itself. Walls that are often just an invisible as the solution one is seeking. 'Mindset' = a mind that is set in its place. Yet another barrier between me and omniderpence.

Icy Shake wrote:Still…the rainbow halo the clouds gave the moon had been one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen.

Lunar halos really are beautiful. The first one I saw nearly, and may in fact have, brought me to tears.
Pictures don't do Lunar halos justice. They're one of the most beautiful things you can see looking up. I saw one once when the moon was directly overhead, and it was so big it looked like the moon ate the sky.

Thanks for doing three re-readings so quickly. It's always fun to re-visit an old chapter through someone else's view, and you're good at general analysis and picking up on all the foreshadowing infesting PH. (There are nests of the little buggers in there.)
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:08 am

Icy Shake wrote:
Yeah, I kind of get where you're coming from. There are basically four reasons I have downloaded stories:

2. When they are on fanfiction.net, because the formatting and UI there are almost beyond awful (sadly, there is no fainting Rarity emoticon)
  3. When Device Herectic announced he would be taking his stories offline due to the trolling he was suffering, apparently including someone/some people working to keep him from getting a job
  4. To facilitate speed reading Murky Number Seven chapters twelve through twenty

Well, I download stories for very simple reason, I prefer to read them wherever I want to and not always sitting in front of my computer/notebook. I used to do that at the start, because most ponyfics were relatively short, but with stories the likes of Fallout Equestria I prefer to read someplace comfortable, not to mention I can read even during travels (without having to worry about notebook's battery life).

So aside from some rare cases I use FimFiction/FanFiction.net basically only to keep track of updates, what I've already read and of course for feedback if possible.

Derpmind wrote:I always find it odd how even though the mind is naturally flexible and weirdly capable, sometimes the biggest barriers to understanding something is the walls your mind has set for itself. Walls that are often just an invisible as the solution one is seeking. 'Mindset' = a mind that is set in its place. Yet another barrier between me and omniderpence.
I'm afraid that's how our brain naturally works, Derp. Spike
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:34 am

Technowolf wrote:
Why not?  The name Scotch Tape comes from... saying it was Scotch (20's slang for cheap)...  Who's to say that something similar didn't happen in Equestria?
Well, because there is no Scotland in Equestria and thus no Scottish people to be thought of as universally cheap.

I'm not complaining about her name; most likely Equestria has scotch whiskey and butterscotch too, and they aren't issues, so this isn't either.

Note: I actually have no idea if the scotch in butterscotch ultimately derives from Scotland or not.

Last edited by FeatherDust on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:49 am

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:

Well, I download stories for very simple reason, I prefer to read them wherever I want to and not always sitting in front of my computer/notebook. I used to do that at the start, because most ponyfics were relatively short, but with stories the likes of Fallout Equestria I prefer to read someplace comfortable, not to mention I can read even during travels (without having to worry about notebook's battery life).

So aside from some rare cases I use FimFiction/FanFiction.net basically only to keep track of updates, what I've already read and of course for feedback if possible.
I've always preferred reading ponyfics in ebook/paper form. It allows me to be much more mobile and versatile with my reading. (curled up in a chair, on the bus, eating a bagel, sitting on the toilet at work to avoid paperwork, etc.) Sites are great for finding new works, getting feedback, and discussing with other readers, but the ebook form is a bit more immersive.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:32 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Have I plugged Asylum to you yet?  Because it's sort of a whole story like that, though about Twilight instead of Blackjack.
Oh geez...
Okay.
I tried to read Asylum, and I got up around chapter 8-ish, I think? I skimmed a few chapters past that, but they just confirmed my thoughts.

Basically, the story just goes on too long without resolving anything. Even if everyone else thinks Twi is crazy and delusional, there are enough hints to the contrary to suggest something else is going on*.  But the story refuses to ever give a sense that the puzzle pieces are even real, much less coming together. That is fine for a while, but I quickly tire of it and want some real answers, or at least puzzle pieces I can trust.

That and I got frustrated that Twilight wouldn't use her knowledge to test whether her years of learning under Celestia really are false memories.  Twilight knows a lot about advanced magical theory which is either factually correct it not.  Even if she can't cast, she can test whether that memorized theory is accurate (indicating learning she could not have gotten during years in a hospital) or not (which supports the idea that she really had been delusional).

* my theory was that the new treatment that supposedly snapped Twilight out of her delusional state actually swapped delusional Twilight's mind with an entirely sane Twilight from an alternate dimension where that stuff really did happen.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:09 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Have I plugged Asylum to you yet?  Because it's sort of a whole story like that, though about Twilight instead of Blackjack.
Oh geez...
Okay.
I tried to read Asylum, and I got up around chapter 8-ish, I think? I skimmed a few chapters past that, but they just confirmed my thoughts.

Basically, the story just goes on too long without resolving anything. Even if everyone else thinks Twi is crazy and delusional, there are enough hints to the contrary to suggest something else is going on*.  But the story refuses to ever give a sense that the puzzle pieces are even real, much less coming together. That is fine for a while, but I quickly tire of it and want some real answers, or at least puzzle pieces I can trust.

That and I got frustrated that Twilight wouldn't use her knowledge to test whether her years of learning under Celestia really are false memories.  Twilight knows a lot about advanced magical theory which is either factually correct it not.  Even if she can't cast, she can test whether that memorized theory is accurate (indicating learning she could not have gotten during years in a hospital) or not (which supports the idea that she really had been delusional).

* my theory was that the new treatment that supposedly snapped Twilight out of her delusional state actually swapped delusional Twilight's mind with an entirely sane Twilight from an alternate dimension where that stuff really did happen.
Eh, to each their own.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Derpmind wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Still…the rainbow halo the clouds gave the moon had been one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen.

Lunar halos really are beautiful. The first one I saw nearly, and may in fact have, brought me to tears.
Pictures don't do Lunar halos justice. They're one of the most beautiful things you can see looking up. I saw one once when the moon was directly overhead, and it was so big it looked like the moon ate the sky.

Thanks for doing three re-readings so quickly. It's always fun to re-visit an old chapter through someone else's view, and you're good at general analysis and picking up on all the foreshadowing infesting PH. (There are nests of the little buggers in there.)
I'm glad you're enjoying them. And you're right; at this point, I think that you really have to go through the story at least twice to get the full experience, because you miss so much in the early chapters because you haven't read the context yet.

FeatherDust wrote:
Technowolf wrote:
Why not?  The name Scotch Tape comes from... saying it was Scotch (20's slang for cheap)...  Who's to say that something similar didn't happen in Equestria?
Well, because there is no Scotland in Equestria and thus no Scottish people to be thought of as universally cheap.

I'm not complaining about her name; most likely Equestria has scotch whiskey and butterscotch too, and they aren't issues, so this isn't either.

Note: I actually have no idea if the scotch in butterscotch ultimately derives from Scotland or not.
Blackjack has asked for scotch, so yes, it exists.
swicked wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 21 Glad3
“Don’t kill them, Blackjack,” the General snapped, making all three of them pause.
This pony certainly knows the score... to kill her, you'd need a heck of a lot more.
Didn't lighthooves leave two mares to execute her? It has been so long, the events are a blur...
Her mind-bullets can punch through an armored head... almost the instead EFS turns them red.
So clearly the guards are a formality since she knows they're no threat in reality :P
If I remember correctly, it was at Miramare. Checking, I was wrong on the details: two Enclave, and they were only supposed to beat the tar out of her unless she tried something (Lighthooves knew she would); she takes out one with TK bullets, gets other to give her keys. It's only then that she downs a medicine cabinet and wakes up later covered in blood and with meat in her mouth.

Reminds me of one of the better added lines from Watchmen: "What none of you understand is that I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!"

swicked wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 21 Tell1
How do they eat all that caviar?  
...ponies ate meat back then, you say? I'm not sure I find that okay.
Well, that's something of an open discussion, but doesn't have any bearing on this: caviar is eggs, not meat.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by ARoundCorner Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Swicked, you've been doing reviews for a while, and I'm not sure if this has already been asked.

Do you make the images for every review? Always so many pretty pictures.
ARoundCorner
ARoundCorner
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Aroundcorner
Sex: Yes, PLEASE!
Species: Ponies or Humans, either one is fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Yay, a swicked review! At first I was singling out particularly good bits, but then I realized that I was basically just pasting the review.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:13 pm

swicked wrote:I dunno. I've honestly always been of the opinion that old ponies didn't even eat unfertilized embryos. They just didn't eat eggs. They used substitutes when baking and such.
Didn't eggs make an appearance in the cupcakes song in Call of the Cutie?

Anyway I don't see any issue with eating eggs as specifically worse than drinking milk, which they clearly do.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Well, Fluttershy has to feed her carnivorous creatures something, and I've seen many fics use fish as the "just as dumb as on Earth so okay to kill and eat" animals.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:28 pm

They aren't mentioned or shown in "Baking Cupcakes," but they are used in "Spike at Your Service," about six minutes in.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 pm

For the record, I download stories a lot too, so I can send them to my Kindle and read them at work. By which, of course, I mean during breaks and lunch and such.
Because I would never read pony fics while I was on the clock just because I got bored and frustrated with programming. Applejack
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:31 am

swicked wrote:Mokele? I do not know this name. What is this creature they would claim?
It's the Congo's Loch Ness Monster, which is described as similar to a brontosaur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokele-mbembe

swicked wrote:It certainly seems like they happen a lot. You know, in-between the team being shot.
If I was a lore-sage like Carto, I wonder how long such a tangent could go...
Well, a whole lot of the "coincidental" activity is really the result of Pip and BJ blundering around and stirring up shit that's lain dormant for centuries. And a lot of "coincidences" weren't really utterly coincidental after all -- it's different branches of causation that stem from the same event. Like how Littlepip's plan to nuke the Goddess results in the Enclave stomping on the Cathedral. They seem totally unrelated on first glance, but the Enclave wouldn't even be involved if Pip hadn't tripped the MAw hub alarm and so on.

I don't even think it's coincidental that the Enclave showed up right as Pip was arriving with the Book -- I'm sure that the Goddess invited them to come visit at that very time, with her alicorns giving her a good idea of when Pip would arrive. She probably intended to take the book, dip Pip, then greet the Enclave from a position of unchallenged strength. But then Pip had to go and stall her until Xenith got the bomb set...

swicked wrote:...Friendship City hasn't happened yet, right?
Right. That doesn't happen until Cauterize is officially underway, which begins on the second morning after the bomb. (The Enclave interrupted Homage after she said "good morning" and noted that the bomb went off slightly over 40 hours ago. Since the bomb went off roughly at sunset, that would put the radio interruption at about 10 am.) Since Homage was still asking for info at that point, and presumably glued to the cameras, we know Pip's rescue must have happened after the transmission. They slept at Stable 29 and Steelhooves' funeral happened the next day, along with the destruction of Canterlot. Pip listened to the first Resistance Radio broadcast that evening whlie Ditzy worked on her radiation burst power -- now 72 hours post-bomb. The Battle of Friendship City began shortly thereafter.

swicked wrote:
How do they eat all that caviar?  
...ponies ate meat back then, you say? I'm not sure I find that okay.
Caviar is eggs, and ponies canonically eat eggs.

Now, you might want to question the method of obtaining caviar, but the food itself is not problematic.

FeatherDust wrote:Didn't eggs make an appearance in the cupcakes song in Call of the Cutie?
Not there, but they did appear even earlier -- Applebuck Season, during the "baked bads" segment.
Pinkie: All righty, I’ll get the sugar and the eggs. Can you get me some chocolate chips?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:29 am

Argh, this thread wasn't showing up as updated in my inbox. Feh!

Nice review, swicked, extra impressive for the rhyming. :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 am

Back when there were three still alive, she had Psalm, too
Shouldn't Psalm actually be alive (as herself) now? I mean, we haven't seen Lacunae's body get destroyed or anything, and Psalm's "fragments" would have probably stayed in it after the personality dissemination...

Well, if she hasn't offed herself after finding how her form is now a mockery of Luna. Or something.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 29 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 29  Next