Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+47
Third Wind
Scienza
Admiral Stoic Rum
Tytan
Necr0maNceR
cb5
Karasu
Exodus Hero
Aonee
Revan Seiei
FoolNeim
Plasticube
Technowolf
Mister Nikel
TalixZero
Vixie
WovenTales
FeatherDust
Ketchup
Sparklecake
Kaidon
Luminous Lead
Frost
thatguyvex
hawkeye92
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Somber
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
Katarn
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
Vergil
Harmony Ltd.
Derpmind
ARoundCorner
Caoimhe
Meleagridis
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
HillBilly-Drew
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Icy Shake
CD
51 posters

Page 25 of 29 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by RoboRed Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:52 pm

TalixZero wrote:So I started rereading Pink Eyes and I just

This was just like that horror story where the super nice robot goes boing and starts hurting ponies!
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Head-explode
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 25 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:20 am

swicked wrote:
Spelling/grammar (likely already identified by others by now):
Ah, thank you.  Not all of those had been spotted previously (though, also, some of them I don't think were actually errors).

swicked wrote:That's gonna be pretty difficult without a surface to draw on that non-enchanted paper.
Edit from the future: Apparently non-sentient mundane objects have no problem on clouds. Only sentient ones fall through... or, maybe, ones over a certain weight limit? Not altogether clear on the rules, here.
Perhaps she used her hoof as a writing surface?

swicked wrote:Okay, you know what? I can honestly say I have no idea what is going on.
Rampage wanted to tear the Society apart, as did P-21. Not a bad plan, but certainly not the best.
While there are no slaves are staring them in the face here in Thunderhead, these ponies are sill living off the backs of others. Others they regard as of no greater value than the dirt they stand on.
It's ticking me off, to tell ya the truth.
I mean, sure, JUST giving back some of the sun wouldn't save anyone down below, but it'd be a start.
In the Society, what they were doing was right in everypony's faces.  There was no one who didn't know about it, only those who tolerated or promoted it.  Thunderhead is different.  Most of the people there have no idea what's really going on down below.  Those that do believe in helping the surface can join the Volunteer Corps.  Clearing the clouds, however, is currently out of the question; while the Society could have used free labor or even joined in in working the fields, there's currently no other way for Thunderhead to stay fed.
In short, basically, tearing through the Society's leadership, whatever other effects it had, would have stopped the slavery, while all violence would do here is discourage Thunderhead and the Enclave in general from helping the surface.

swicked wrote:…Hee… these outtakes are fun. I wonder where Trixie finds them...
Hahahahaha!

swicked wrote:...such a nice, kind, well-to-do non-robot...
Hahahahaha!

swicked wrote:She cried more over having regrown a leg.
"Oh what a horrible day!  My leg is gone!"
"Oh, that's terrible!  At least you got such a nice prosthetic…"
"Hm?  Oh, no, the leg grew back good as new.  Which is even worseeeee!"
"…Uh…"
"And look!  My cutie mark has a slight scar on it!"
"…Have you seen most ponies around the Wasteland?  That's really pretty pitiful for a scar.  …What's that smell?"
"Oh, roasted hellhound; I nuked a couple hundred of them.  And my PipBuck is fused to my leeeeg!"
Yeah… Rose Eye goes sort of overboard with the whole LittlePip-hate thing, but I must admit that I find some of her objections not entirely baseless.

swicked wrote:...wouldn't Glory have gotten her power armor training directly prior to this mission? Odd that she's so familiar with it already...
It moves well for Glory because it's good armor, and it's familiar to Blackjack because cyberponi.

swicked wrote:Edit from the future: All I could find from a quick search is Rampage saying "Ever heard of an Ursa Major? There's a reason ponies stay away from Black Pony Mountain" then, later on, stating the Ursa Major was banished, or somepony claimed it was banished, but something awful lives there now.
That and Goldenblood lives near it, as I already knew.
I don't think anyone's ever acted like this about it before, though.
…I can't tell if this is you genuinely not finding anything, you engaging in a bit of meta humor, or the magic actually being powerful enough to reach into our world and affect the search software.  Well, okay, it's probably not that last one, but still, this is a somewhat funny place for this to crop up.

swicked wrote:She didn't lose it on the Celestia, since she showed it to Sanguine in chapter 39.
So... what happened?
…Um.  Oops…
Wait, where?  I can't find that happening, and I do seem to recall that we had to change something about that ages ago… are you looking in a version of the chapter other than the current one?

Quite an enjoyable review, as usual.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:19 am

The last two chapters have been great. I really like the way Somber uses the Enclave. They're not entirely daft evil people like the original. I always thought being cartoonishly evil wasn't conductive to having a big civilisation in those kinds of conditions. But here they're still pretty nasty but not entirely unreasonable which is what I thought they would be.

Similarly, I loved the description and atmosphere of Thunderhead. Also, big threat with Dawn although I have to admit I was looking forwards to Thunderhead's security forces storming the tower. Looking forwards to the next installment.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 am

Shazam! Thoughts time. FINALLY. Worst Cobalt, taking forever to read a pretty friggin' great chapter.

Let's see, stuff that stuck out, in no particular order.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:21 am

Thought :

We're going to see BJ go to space before the end of the story, aren't we ?

Odds for an Armaggeddon-type sacrifice ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:24 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Thought :

We're going to see BJ go to space before the end of the story, aren't we ?

Odds for an Armaggeddon-type sacrifice ?
/cough

I'm just saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:49 am

Once again, thank you very much for creating Project Horizons, Somber.  And thank you to Hinds and Bronode for all the hard work you put into helping make it as incredible as it is.

I am a little sad to see that we're possibly 8-10 chapters from the end, but at the same time, I'm so happy that it's made it this far, and I want to see it reach a conclusion that you can be proud of, Somber.  I'll always be hoping for the best for you, sir.

Chapter 60 Commentary:
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:Noodles... the bane of cloaking devices everywhere.
*cue TVTrope marking this as a literal "Noodle Incident"*
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:28 am

If it doesn't go beyond ten, I'll end up reading them. If it ends after the five presumed chapters, I'll definitely read them.
If it ends up being another case of "well I had planned..." I'll keep to not reading it until the end chapter and then read that, personally.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 am

Could be that Blackjack is too awe struck to notice, or they figure Blackjack will find a way like she always does and are keeping quiet.
Though all bets are off this next chapter. Blackjack will get mopey,if she isn't getting attacked, about how they messed with the bubble and the other will tell her it was going to pop eventually regardless of her actions.

Last edited by Moodyman90 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:42 pm

At the moment, they're too awe struck.  It's like going to another universe where the war never happened.  But give them a little bit of time.  There's one surfacer, next chapter, who will have A LOT to say about it.  If Thunderhead had helped the wasteland 150 years ago, there'd be a surface paradise.  The fact is, Blackjack is blown away that there are so many ponies living well.  She doesn't want to take that away from them.

Somepony else does...

Also, I am glad the chapters are going well.  Is there anything that was wrong with it?  Dreams too short?  I didn't want to go on and on with so much more to cover, but I also didn't want a throwaway 'my dreams were okay...' Especially since she's had psalm dreams for weeks now, and before that nightmares.  This is the first good dream she's had since 99.

BJ lost Folly at the Celestia.  Don't worry.  Somepony found it.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:49 pm

... a skeezy tan pegasus in a large coat walked up to us.  “Hey.  Hey.  Want some B’s?”
        “Some what?” Scotch asked in confusion.
        The pegasus grimaced.  “Come on.  Some B’s!  I got a fresh batch.  Blue.  Straw.  Boys.  Rasp.  I got it all,” all he said, and then he spread the coat wide to reveal dozens of small baggies filled with roundish colorful objects.  “Straight from the surface!  Best shit you ever tasted!”
Oh geez, it took until the end of the chapter when BJ gave the raspberries to Boo before I figured out he was selling fruit, not drugs.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I think the normal dreams are very important. It shows that BJ is herself again and that it details how she views her companions. I thought it was nice that she thinks of Boo and Rampage as her family, like it was the family she wish she had back in the stable. 

I think it's also important to prevent the story from getting too dark. Cute, happy moments like this break things up and prevent overload in addition to providing contrast to the darker parts of the story. 

Thats just my thoughts though.
Downloaded Skill
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:19 pm

I thought the dreams were a bit short, but I don't feel like they should be longer. Blackjack is finally having "normal" dreams and those don't last very long to begin with.
Just keep doing what you're doing Somber, its been great so far.

Last edited by Moodyman90 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting phone typed errors)
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister Nikel Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Got around reading 60 a little while ago and I was very pleased. Everything felt very smooth and interesting to read. if there is one thing that you are good at Somber then it's descriptions of locations. Thunderhead is a very interesting one. You made the atmosphere of a preserved pre war city very genuine. You could even feel a subtle "something is not right here" every once in a while. This is definitely one of your better chapters despite not having a lot of drama or action.

I have zero complaints about this chapter. The cliff hanger made me audibly groan though. I wanna know what happens next now. As for the story coming to an end, it's been a fun ride. I understand you have lots of things on your mind but please don't rush the ending. That was the reason why the original FO:E left a bad aftertaste in my mouth.

And on an unrelated note, not sure if you know or care but you have a Russian fan following and a fan translation on our biggest native image board 2.ch and they share an ehhhh let's just say less critical view on your work compared to western Anons. So from Russia with love I guess. Keep up the good work Somber.
Mister Nikel
Mister Nikel
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:52 pm

There is no words for how mind blowingly awesome it is to hear someone say 'I like your work so much that I'm going to translate it.'  I have a hard time thinking people will like my story in English, let alone translate it.  I'd love to hear the Russian perspective on Horizons.  Some parts of Blackjack I think are hopefully relate-able.  Except for the whining.  Russians might complain, but they never whine.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 pm

swicked wrote:I now have no idea when she lost Folly.
The Celestia, wasn't it?

WavemasterRyx wrote:Should this possibly be "down there"?
Ah, thank you.

WavemasterRyx wrote:he's a jerk, so he doesn't get to go by his real name
You may have noticed that I persistently refer to the Remnant's leader as "Vitiosus" rather than a certain title he claims to have.  :)

Somber wrote:If Thunderhead had helped the wasteland 150 years ago, there'd be a surface paradise.
Aye.  The main reason the Alliance (a big faction in my headcanon) is so developed is that they were out from under the cloud cover, and considering the non-Miliozi peninsula as GPE groundspace was the reason they didn't send aid and soldiers ages ago.

Somber wrote:BJ lost Folly at the Celestia.  Don't worry.  Somepony found it.
Oh, whew, that is such a relief!  I'm sure, after all, that whoever now has Folly couldn't possibly have any bad intentions!  :D

Mister Nikel wrote:And on an unrelated note, not sure if you know or care but you have a Russian fan following and a fan translation on our biggest native image board 2.ch and they share an ehhhh let's just say less critical view on your work compared to western Anons. So from Russia with love I guess.
…Huh.  Well, that's a surprise. Wow.
…And isn't PH now illegal in Russia, actually?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:09 pm

O. Hinds wrote:…And isn't PH now illegal in Russia, actually?
Hum... what ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:…And isn't PH now illegal in Russia, actually?
Hum... what ?
Positive depictions of homosexuality.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Ah, yes, that...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:06 pm

I'm not going to hold the assholeness of a country's leaders against the people.  That doesn't get anywhere good.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Somber wrote:I'm not going to hold the assholeness of a country's leaders against the people.  That doesn't get anywhere good.
Oh, certainly. We can, however, hold the assholeness of a country's leaders against said leaders.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Third Wind Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Somber wrote:There is no words for how mind blowingly awesome it is to hear someone say 'I like your work so much that I'm going to translate it.'  I have a hard time thinking people will like my story in English, let alone translate it.  I'd love to hear the Russian perspective on Horizons.  Some parts of Blackjack I think are hopefully relate-able.  Except for the whining.  Russians might complain, but they never whine.
Hi, Russian perspective here!
First, the russian translation of PH is already active and I started with it. Switched to english later. I checked this out  -currently 22 chapters are finished and ch.23-37 are under editing.
Second, illegal, haha. Dat law. They may try to make smth illegal, but I've read FoE in russian perfectly fine and PH translation is active. The situation may change later, but for now I do not believe brony community to be in danger. Moreover, we are going to have a SlashCon with homo- ang getero- pairing cosplays. Really can't tell how they managed not to be banned for trying to organize it.  
What else Russian perspective would you like apart from telling that PH is awesome? BTW "Simply Rarity" is popular here (or I think it is).

Third Wind
Foal

Brohoof! : 2

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:18 pm

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Somber wrote:I'm not going to hold the assholeness of a country's leaders against the people.  That doesn't get anywhere good.
Oh, certainly.  We can, however, hold the assholeness of a country's leaders against said leaders.
...though, if they're anything like the typical outspoken american anti-gay politician, they'd probably enjoy an asshole up against them.
tylertoon2
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:37 pm

"Barked" is a colloquialism, I believe, and the other sentence is referring not explicitly referring to this particular balefire bomb. Sorry.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

The "that" might stand to go.
As for "bark":
bark 2  (bärk)
n.
1. The tough outer covering of the woody stems and roots of trees, shrubs, and other woody plants. It includes all tissues outside the vascular cambium.
2. A specific kind of bark used for a special purpose, as in tanning or medicine.
tr.v. barked, bark·ing, barks
1. To remove bark from (a tree or log).
2. To rub off the skin of; abrade: barked my shin on the car door.
3. To tan or dye (leather or fabric) by steeping in an infusion of bark.
4. To treat (a patient) using a medicinal bark infusion.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Technowolf Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Somber wrote:Also, I am glad the chapters are going well.  Is there anything that was wrong with it?  Dreams too short?  I didn't want to go on and on with so much more to cover, but I also didn't want a throwaway 'my dreams were okay...' Especially since she's had psalm dreams for weeks now, and before that nightmares.  This is the first good dream she's had since 99.
Is it bad that I really want 'The Adventures of Royal Guard Blackjack & Her Friendly Friends' as a thing now?  I'd write it myself if I could get off my ass and do ANY writing.

Mister Nikel wrote:So from Russia with love I guess. Keep up the good work Somber.
Technowolf
Technowolf
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:45 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Hah!  Well, I'm not terribly worried about them washing off...
Well that's good, just be careful around poison joke, heh.
O. Hinds wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:Should this possibly be "down there"?
Ah, thank you.
WavemasterRyx wrote:he's a jerk, so he doesn't get to go by his real name
You may have noticed that I persistently refer to the Remnant's leader as "Vitiosus" rather than a certain title he claims to have.  :)
I guess on rare occasions I can still provide somewhat useful (if extremely minor) editing, heh.
Ah, the things we do just to get revenge on fictional characters for being jerks.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:*cue TVTrope marking this as a literal "Noodle Incident"*
Heh, I hadn't thought about that, it's been a while since I went to TVTropes.  Though I don't know, would it be more fitting as a 'subverted' Noodle Incident possibly?
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Ah, but if they did wash off, would he be white, black... or pink?
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:14 pm

swicked wrote:
Technowolf wrote:Is it bad that I really want 'The Adventures of Royal Guard Blackjack & Her Friendly Friends' as a thing now?  I'd write it myself if I could get off my ass and do ANY writing.
I really think they'd get distracting in any greater amount than they are now, but I'd admit the idea has an appeal.
Reminds me vaguely of the Tenchi Muyo anime. My mind's kinda fuzzy on it since it was back in the days of this show called toonami, but they essentially had a set of characters that had an entire story in the original series. Then they made another series, Tenchi Universe, where all the same characters existed but were in completely different situations, different occupations and relationships (or lack of any) with each other, but the same looks and personalities, like an alternate universe and following a different plot.
It'd be funny to see stories of the Project Horizons characters from Blackjack's dream dimension.
Kinda like a high school AU for some animes/mangas...
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 29 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next