Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+53
ILM126
Cptadder
BlueSoldier
MiniGaunt
Anonymouss
Scootayay
Frost
Almar
Whiskey Rebellion
Blue Heron
Rayndalf
Shady
Epsilon
BLame
Vixie
Exodus Hero
FeatherDust
RoboRed
Triage
Technowolf
Vexd
Syroc
ARoundCorner
Borsuq
geekladd
Harmony Ltd.
MSCA
pokeperson1000
DaWarWolf
WavemasterRyx
Captain Stramash
Luminous Lead
Dekshuduph
decumos
CD
Evilgidgit
Vergil
Meleagridis
Derpmind
iLateralGX
Valikdu
Zolaheuzis
Somber
Scienza
Downloaded Skill
Vinylshadow
Silver136
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
tylertoon2
JadedPony
Caoimhe
SilentCarto
57 posters

Page 20 of 31 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 20 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Well, we can't judge based on possible future failures, just present state and future intent. By that same token, we could say that the Courier's Libertarian/anarchist Vegas might devolve into a fractured, chaotic city with no law or order, but we can only judge on the end-state that we see and the intent (to make it prosperous and powerful once more) that's been stated.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 20 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Silver136 Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:32 pm

This is really off topic, but I must ask. Is that Solaire in your profile picture, Mister Frost?
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Sex: Male
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:42 pm

That's a negative. That would be
This original piece:

Equally off-topic, but, if your sig is to be believed, it would appear that you're the one to speak to about Fo3 GOTY not wanting to run on my Windows 8 pc?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:53 pm

That's actually something I've been asked about before by a friend of mine. I think its an issue with windows 8 actually. Fallout 3 is pretty old now, while Windows 8 is very new. I refuse to use windows 8 though, so I'm sorry to say I cant help you in that department. Possibly check Bethesda's site here for potential patches or tech support.

Edit: What's exactly wrong with it however? Does it just not start up, does it crash when you try to start a new game? What's the issue exactly?

Last edited by Silver136 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:59 pm

You could try this mod out.

Can't say for sure if it works since I'm on Windows 7 and Fallout 3 has always worked fine for me, but the comments seem to suggest that it works for most.

Really though, if you want to play Fallout 3 again, I'd recommend that you instead use Tale of Two Wastelands. This is easily one of the best solutions, as you get all the gameplay improvements of New Vegas in Fallout 3.
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Silver136 wrote:That's actually something I've been asked about before by a friend of mine. I think its an issue with windows 8 actually. Fallout 3 is pretty old now, while Windows 8 is very new. I refuse to use windows 8 though, so I'm sorry to say I cant help you in that department. Possibly check Bethesda's site here for potential patches or tech support.

Edit: What's exactly wrong with it however? Does it just not start up, does it crash when you try to start a new game? What's the issue exactly?
Well, it was failing to start up entirely; I've applied the jury-rig fixes and compatibility-mode tricks enough to where it makes it all the way to the launch screen before crashing. Currently and not for the first time, I've deleted the local content and am re-downloading it. Hopefully, the Bethesda forum will have better answers.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Well, there is this, which is a bypass the default Fallout launcher. Not sure if it will help, but its called the "Fallout Script Extender." Even if it doesn't help, it's pretty much mandatory if you're going to get into modding.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:13 pm

I'll take it under advisement, but I have little interest in modding, especially since I can rarely get games to work anyway.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:16 pm

That'll happen with Windows 8. It's optimized for touch screens, so its really not great on regular computers. That's why the UI is so weird and it has so much trouble running things that have worked fine on previous operating systems.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Well, I just hit the "desktop" function that works pretty much like all Windows UIs, but I still question the decision at Microsoft to push a tablet/phone-based OS for actual desktop/laptop computers.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:24 pm

That's the issue everyone is having with it. People had the same kind of issues with Vista though, Microsoft just tries to change too much too quickly sometimes and it shows.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Would help to know exactly what you've tried thus far. Does the mod I linked not work for you? Have you tried applying the usual changes to the ini files?
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Right now, the game's re-installing. I tried the .ini file fix in conjunction with some compatibility-mode nonsense on the advice of a Steam forum thread; but according to Bethesda's mods the .ini fix should work on its own. With that in mind, I'll do that fix by itself and see how it works once it's done downloading.

On the topic of Fallout games, is there any new word on Fallout 4? Coulda sworn there was some sort of announcement being made about that.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Not that I've seen. Some guy posted some jokes about it that got me excited and led to me looking to Bethesda. Still nothing from them.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiskey Rebellion Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Somber wrote:Personally, I like the idea of faction as ideological axis.  For instance: Good and evil, Law and freedom, order and independence, Science or nature.  And I'd include the ability to subvert these from within.  They'd be quest lines that'd be resolved in the finale.
It's not really that simple, though. Let's take good and evil, right?

You see this guy getting the living shit kicked out of him on the side of the road. You try and help him out, but the people who are beating him start attacking you. You break them, give the battered dude a health kit or whatever, and send him on his way. Seems good, right?

As it happens, that guy had just murdered a family and was being apprehended by the locals. You killed good people and saved a monster. You didn't know that, however.

Are you a good person?
Whiskey Rebellion
Whiskey Rebellion
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Well, we can't judge based on possible future failures, just present state and future intent. By that same token, we could say that the Courier's Libertarian/anarchist Vegas might devolve into a fractured, chaotic city with no law or order, but we can only judge on the end-state that we see and the intent (to make it prosperous and powerful once more) that's been stated.
It is a bit hard to say on the anarchist/independent New Vegas ending, since it really depends on the choices you make and how you want to interpret what happens to the factions afterwards. The Brotherhood goes from isolationism to outright seizing technology, the Fiends overrun outer Vegas, and the Followers collapse under the influx of refugees. Freeside and Goodsprings turn out okay, but a lot of the rest of the Mojave is implied to be either falling apart or moving towards war.

Silver136 wrote:That's actually something I've been asked about before by a friend of mine. I think its an issue with windows 8 actually. Fallout 3 is pretty old now, while Windows 8 is very new. I refuse to use windows 8 though, so I'm sorry to say I cant help you in that department. Possibly check Bethesda's site here for potential patches or tech support.

It's a compatibility thing since Bethesda stopped supporting future versions of Windows what you want to do is find a file called "d3d9.dll" (a quick Google search will bring it up) and stick it in your directory. It should run fine after that.

Last edited by Scienza on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:39 pm

For the sake of argument, I referred to the "best" outcome of that situation, wherein the united factions within the Mojave are cooperating under the Courier's banner against foreign aggression (and have, through control of power sources and increasing militant power, made the NCR pretty much their bitch, at least in the Eastern parts of the territory)
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Mister Frost wrote:On the topic of Fallout games, is there any new word on Fallout 4? Coulda sworn there was some sort of announcement being made about that.
Thus far, the closest we've gotten to real information on Fallout 4 is a snippet at the end of interview with Todd Howard regarding "future projects" where he claims, "We’re taking our time, we’re extremely excited about it and the reason we’re kind of holding back right now is because we want to wait until it’s really there to show it to everybody."
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Mister Frost wrote:For the sake of argument, I referred to the "best" outcome of that situation, wherein the united factions within the Mojave are cooperating under the Courier's banner against foreign aggression (and have, through control of power sources and increasing militant power, made the NCR pretty much their bitch, at least in the Eastern parts of the territory)
Those are the best case outcomes for the factions (I'm getting them from the ending slides). The Strip is mostly okay after the Courier basically becomes Mr. House, but the Mojave is still far from united.

Last edited by Scienza on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiskey Rebellion Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Let's not forget that with Lonesome Road, you can nuke the NCR and the Legion. So there goes any chance of more foreign imperialism. Can't get many reinforcements when everyone else in the western US is dead.
Whiskey Rebellion
Whiskey Rebellion
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Whiskey Rebellion wrote:Let's not forget that with Lonesome Road, you can nuke the NCR and the Legion. So there goes any chance of more foreign imperialism. Can't get many reinforcements when everyone else in the western US is dead.
Well, you don't nuke the NCR or Legion exactly. You just nuke the interstates leading to Vegas, effectively cutting off the supply lines. Not exactly the best idea, really, considering the fact that you would be completely denying the possibility of foreign trade once resources in Vegas begin to dwindle.
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiskey Rebellion Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Epsilon wrote:
Whiskey Rebellion wrote:Let's not forget that with Lonesome Road, you can nuke the NCR and the Legion. So there goes any chance of more foreign imperialism. Can't get many reinforcements when everyone else in the western US is dead.
Well, you don't nuke the NCR or Legion exactly. You just nuke the interstates leading to Vegas, effectively cutting off the supply lines. Not exactly the best idea, really, considering the fact that you would be completely denying the possibility of foreign trade once resources in Vegas begin to dwindle.
Oh, is that the case?

Well that makes a lot of sense. I always wondered how like six missiles could destroy that large an area.

But yeah, you're cutting off all trade routes basically, but you have to consider another thing; inbreeding. In order to maintain a non-inbred population, there must be 10,000 or more people in the breeding pool. I feel like there's a lot less than 10,000 people in the Mojave.
Whiskey Rebellion
Whiskey Rebellion
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Scienza wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:For the sake of argument, I referred to the "best" outcome of that situation, wherein the united factions within the Mojave are cooperating under the Courier's banner against foreign aggression (and have, through control of power sources and increasing militant power, made the NCR pretty much their bitch, at least in the Eastern parts of the territory)
Those are the best case outcomes for the factions (I'm getting them from the ending slides). The Strip is mostly okay after the Courier basically becomes Mr. House, but the Mojave is still far from united.
The Brotherhood situation varies from person to person, but I usually ended up letting them work on internal reform with Veronica's help. I don't know anyone who didn't just crush the Fiends. I didn't mean "best outcome for every single faction individually", I meant the best outcome in terms of uniting the factions. Though I may just be confusing my headcanon with actual canon again.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiskey Rebellion Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Scienza wrote:
The Brotherhood situation varies from person to person, but I usually ended up letting them work on internal reform with Veronica's help. I don't know anyone who didn't just crush the Fiends. I didn't mean "best outcome for every single faction individually", I meant the best outcome in terms of uniting the factions. Though I may just be confusing my headcanon with actual canon again.
http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Fallout:_New_Vegas_endings
Whiskey Rebellion
Whiskey Rebellion
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:09 pm

And, with the .ini file fix, the .dll file download, and both, the game still refuses to work.

EDIT: And that's with entering/altering the ThreadedAI lines in the .ini files in both "My games" and "SteamApps/Common"
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiskey Rebellion Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Mister Frost wrote:And, with the .ini file fix, the .dll file download, and both, the game still refuses to work.
I honestly think it'll never work.

I couldn't get it to run on Windows 7. The problem wasn't the software, it was apparently that my graphics card was too new, and the game didn't recognise it.

Take note that I'm just going off what people who say they know what they're talking about have told me. I still think computers are magic.
Whiskey Rebellion
Whiskey Rebellion
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Have you added the line iNumHWThreads=2 immediately after bUseThreadedAI=1?
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:21 pm

I did. In SteamApps, I changed the AI line from 0 to one and added the HWThreads line, and added both the AI=1 line and HWThreads line to My Games' file. Neither one fixed it. I'll try again with the .dll file in both locations, I guess
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:28 pm

It really is bizarre that this game just doesn't want to work for some people on Windows 7/8. Personally, I've never had problems with getting it to run. In fact, it seems to be more stable than New Vegas is. Can't even remember the last time that Fallout 3 has crashed on me. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 20 OgNN9Rx

Maybe you could instead try installing the Fallout 3 ENB? You don't have to use any of the post-processing effects, but perhaps the specialized d3d9.dll will help matters. The improved memory management offered by the ENB helper application might also prove beneficial. Could also apply the Large Address Aware patch, though I doubt that would help much in this case.

If nothing else works though... Tale of Two Wastelands is always a possibility.

Last edited by Epsilon on Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Well there are a few things that would have helped Caesar's legion as a faction.

One, having a decent Legion companion.  Some one like Vulps, but not as creepy.  Bonus points if it would have been a woman.  And one who would question why you help the weak.  I mean if Novac isn't strong and capable enough to take out a couple of ghouls, then why should it be allowed to stand at all?  The Legion wouldn't just protect Novac, it would insist on strength.  Yeah, that means a couple people would get their asses kicked and a couple more nailed to a cross as an example.  At the end of the day, when you walked away, you knew Novac wasn't just going to stand on its own, but thrive.

Two: have the slavery be a punishment for criminals.  "Hey, we at least give them a choice if they're guilty: death or slavery.  Either way, they fucked up.  We're not like the NCR that says your guilty and then does whatever we want to you.  Or worse, let you pay a thousand caps and call it a day."

Three: Make it clear this isn't JUST Caesar.  This makes for a great miniquest (like BJ picking the Society leader) where you can help Caesar choose his successor: some one strong, some one fair, or some one smart?

Four: Get rid of the 'all women are slaves' bullshit.  You close off that entire faction to anyone that wants to play a semi-realistic game with a female character.  Make is clear the legion values strength, and that the penis doesn't have any muscles in it.  Now you can show the legion has misogynistic elements in it.  In fact, I encourage it!  But don't make them ALL that way.

Fifth: make it clear the legion value strength over law.  Strength of body.  Strength of mind (Sometimes intelligence, sometimes stubbornness).  Strength of word (In expression AND in honoring your word).  Strength of deed (Doing what you will).  If someone is corrupt, it is because they are weak.  If someone can not survive without help, it is because they need to be made strong, or finished off.  This makes the NCR, with it's emphasis on the power of society and civilization even more anathema to the Legion.  The legion isn't attacking the NCR because they're weak and are an easy opponent.  The NCR must be attacked at the very least to help it and the weak, sick people who suffer under it.  And House isn't evil because he's decadent.  He's evil because he survives, literally, by having very fancy cruches to keep him alive.  Take those away and he's dead.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 31 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 31  Next