Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+33
Sindri
Downloaded Skill
CamoBadger
RoboRed
Mister Nikel
Katarn
tylertoon2
Ametros
Ki-Tarn
Aonee
Kippershy
Plasticube
Mech
WovenTales
SilentCarto
IncoherentOrange
O. Hinds
Harmony Ltd.
Meleagridis
Ketchup
Quotidian
FeatherDust
WavemasterRyx
OBS.GS.§S
OneMoreDaySK
Admiral Stoic Rum
Cptadder
Valikdu
Ironmonger
Stringtheory
Caoimhe
Vergil
37 posters

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:23 pm

They'd die.

Lacunae has already almost died before when someone threw even a single ring at the group. (Back during the reaper-ranger war.)
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 pm

*shoots that damn owl* Owlch, looks like that hurt.

About those rings, you know what Salvadore says:"TIME TO OVERCOMPENSATE!"
I'm trying hard to stay on topic. I don't like it when people get mad at me.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 133487976858

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Did ponies ever perfect cloning technology? Seems like you could really compensate for the low population that way. Get a shitload of disposable soldiers. No, it's not ethical, but by the time the end of the war rolled around, most Ministry higher-ups seemed to think "ethics" were the pustules that formed when someone brandished a holy symbol at them.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Krieger_pony_by_tristikov-d38r39e
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:32 pm

I hope there is some good cloning technology floating around, it would make things interesting. Could take some unicorn genes and make psi-clones.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Cyclone_eye_large

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:34 pm

...That's not a cyclone, that's a typhoon. Spike
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:34 pm

RoboRed wrote:...That's not a cyclone, that's a typhoon. Spike
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Heresyveinpopping

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Firstly, this picture:
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Cains-train-wreck
Mister Frost wrote:Did ponies ever perfect cloning technology? Seems like you could really compensate for the low population that way. Get a shitload of disposable soldiers. No, it's not ethical, but by the time the end of the war rolled around, most Ministry higher-ups seemed to think "ethics" were the pustules that formed when someone brandished a holy symbol at them.
Oh, they could clone ponies just fine, but they'd have no soul. Boo, for example, has no soul aside from the one we give her. They couldn't be soldiers because they act more or less like animals.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:36 pm

ketchup504 wrote:Firstly, this picture:
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 32 Cains-train-wreck
Yeah...*sigh*...that didn't take long...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Perhaps their brain chemistry or something could be altered so they obey orders and have knowledge of how to use weapons. It could be a part of their instincts but they would still be as stupid as Congress with an open bar, but at that point you could equip them with cheap weapons and armor then send them in waves at whoever spiked your blood pressure.

EDIT: Ponies aint making it easy for me to stay off the derail bandwagon. Rage

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Apologies er'rypony. That one was my bad.

I think it's wierd that soulless=mindless. Most fiction portrays clones as a situation of soulless=heartless. No emotions, no regret, no fear, no conscience, no self-preservation. Terrible for peacekeeping and "good guys", but as was mentioned, one could hardly call Equestria "good guys" at the end.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Give them all AN-94's or AK-74s, some cheap armor, a gas mask, and a brain chip to control them and let them loose.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Ironmonger wrote:I'm following this topic closely so I won't derail it
Applejack

Ironmonger wrote:but I had another idea some of you can mull over. A rifle that fires an iron or steel spike via a magnetic generator or possibly gauss coils. Inside the gun is a device that irradiates the projectile with a relatively high dose of magical radiation. I'm thinking it would fire in two-shot bursts (I have a worry that a third shot would be pushing it or would go wild in most situations. It also has a built-in medium-power scope for silently murdering people politely saying hello and inviting them to tea at long range.
What would this weapon offer over a conventional railgun? Fire radioactive things is generally the opposite of what you want to do in warfare. And when you are using radioactive things it's because you have no other choice (Depleted Uranium tipped shells) or it's an unavoidable side effect (WMDs). You generally speaking want what the other side has and radioactivity except in super high doses is a slow killer. It's such a slow killer that it really does not matter in even a twenty year war and most radioactivity is a 10-30 year killer. Radioactivity sufficient to kill in a few weeks still leaves you alive and healthy for hours after the dosage before symptoms appear.

And if the dosage IS high enough to kill in a few weeks... what exactly is shielding the user of the gun from the same fate?

Ironmonger wrote:At the risk of taking this forum in the wrong direction
How

Ironmonger wrote:Perhaps their brain chemistry or something could be altered so they obey orders and have knowledge of how to use weapons. It could be a part of their instincts but they would still be as stupid as Congress with an open bar, but at that point you could equip them with cheap weapons and armor then send them in waves at whoever spiked your blood pressure.
Disposable mindless soldiers are a hindrance to any modern military force with machine guns and good defenses. If you have Boer War or better armaments (And ponies have between WWI to future weaponry) all that meat is just a slight distraction. You can't even get attrition in since they Zebras can just construct machine gun robots and have the Zebra's carrying it more ammunition.

Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Wouldn't robots be more practical? A living soldier loses all the advantages of being a living soldier if you take away creativity, survival instinct, etc.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:02 pm

At least I was considerate this time.

Anywho that made me feel stupid except:

1:I'm just now getting woke up and having my coffee
2:I asked/pitched before I implemented so I avoided true idiocy.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:07 pm

Ironmonger wrote:At least I was considerate this time.

Anywho that made me feel stupid except:

1:I'm just now getting woke up and having my coffee
2:I asked/pitched before I implemented so I avoided true idiocy.
Well, if there were a specific need for hordes of mindless bodies, or they had access to an armory and a cloning tree but no robotics or construction equipment for some reason, I suppose it could work. It just seems much less practical than all the other options for most warfare.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:09 pm

They wouldn't lack creativity or tactics, they just wouldn't particularly rule out tactics and plans that involved them all dying so long as the objective would be served by doing so.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Sindri wrote:
Well, if there were a specific need for hordes of mindless bodies, or they had access to an armory and a cloning tree but no robotics or construction equipment for some reason

You mean like no vehicles or robots, just infantry?

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:31 pm

I leave to go prepare for my eminent death by hurricane tomorrow and you guys go balls out crazy. Can't leave you alone for a minute.

Anyway that pic on the last page is cute but Scotch got blue eyes. AGH it's always one little thing... :(
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
Sindri wrote:
Well, if there were a specific need for hordes of mindless bodies, or they had access to an armory and a cloning tree but no robotics or construction equipment for some reason

You mean like no vehicles or robots, just infantry?
Well, a clone army takes all the disadvantages of robotic units (lack of creativity or survival instinct, cannot do anything they aren't specifically programmed for) and all the disadvantages of low-level live infantry (soft and squishy, require sustenance and equipment, very limited individual combat capability, require extensive training and conditioning before combat-ready) and combines them into one package. A package which requires a highly specialized and secret facility to produce. So the only time I can think of the clone army being a valid option is if you have a cloning tree, and enough gear and time to train and equip real soldiers, but you have neither the population for live troops nor the equipment to produce mechanical ones. Clones are still troops, just not as good as either other option and thus only an advantage if you can't get either other option.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Essentially an emergency option. Perhaps really cheap and simple robots instead? I could see something like Aerostats from the Terminator series coming in handy as harassment and T-600's being used for breaching a well-defended area when you can't risk live troops. I'm just throwing stuff out here at this point, Frost and I are in the process of writing and I don't have a whole lot of time to put great effort into an idea. Also sorry for my derailings, I'm trying to do better.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:44 pm

@Cao
Good luck with the hurricane, my family's in the same general area so I'm hoping for the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm wondering if those winds are going to come my way. Ohio gets the ass end of EVERYTHIIIIIIIING! Rage

*static* WE INTERRUPT THIS RAGE TO BRING YOU SOME DAAAW!
Spoiler:

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:55 pm

If anything, clones would have more creativity and independent thinking (as far as achieving objectives goes) than normal troops due to their whole education and training being devoted to warfare. They could battle through horrific injuries and keep going with no regard for morale, no fear, and no desertion or worries about psychological trauma. If the objective being completed would be worth more than their own lives, they'd go for it in a heartbeat. Not to mention the crippling psychological effect it would have on an enemy to see hundreds of identical soldiers coming at them with blank, empty eyes and no regard for their own safety.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
*static* WE INTERRUPT THIS RAGE TO BRING YOU SOME DAAAW!
Spoiler:
MY HEART. *hurk*
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Caoimhe wrote:I leave to go prepare for my eminent death by hurricane tomorrow and you guys go balls out crazy. Can't leave you alone for a minute.
I'm down in Providence so we'll probably get fucked more then you
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Everypony is getting fucked. It's a weather orgy.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Mister Frost wrote:If anything, clones would have more creativity and independent thinking (as far as achieving objectives goes) than normal troops due to their whole education and training being devoted to warfare. They could battle through horrific injuries and keep going with no regard for morale, no fear, and no desertion or worries about psychological trauma. If the objective being completed would be worth more than their own lives, they'd go for it in a heartbeat. Not to mention the crippling psychological effect it would have on an enemy to see hundreds of identical soldiers coming at them with blank, empty eyes and no regard for their own safety.
None of that leads to creativity or independence. And a lack of a survival instinct doesn't mean you keep achieving objectives instead of running away, it means you get yourself killed pointlessly before you can accomplish anything. Immunity to fear, bad morale, and pain are advantages, but ones that robotic troops already have and organic ones can gain with combat drugs without losing much. And I think that the psychological effects of mowing down lines of stupid meat-puppets wouldn't be quite as devastating as you're hoping, and certainly not as potent as a single decent artilleryman or a few sturdy robots tearing your comrades up.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:31 pm

I did have this one, really experimental, idea of a reprogrammed and reconfigured robot designed to carry a small infantry cannon.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Infact, wouldn't slaughtering hundreds of mindless clones give the enemy more moral in knowing:

1. the enemy is so weak
2. you've already killed xyz amount of soldiers so easily, what's another lot?
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Sindri wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:If anything, clones would have more creativity and independent thinking (as far as achieving objectives goes) than normal troops due to their whole education and training being devoted to warfare. They could battle through horrific injuries and keep going with no regard for morale, no fear, and no desertion or worries about psychological trauma. If the objective being completed would be worth more than their own lives, they'd go for it in a heartbeat. Not to mention the crippling psychological effect it would have on an enemy to see hundreds of identical soldiers coming at them with blank, empty eyes and no regard for their own safety.
None of that leads to creativity or independence. And a lack of a survival instinct doesn't mean you keep achieving objectives instead of running away, it means you get yourself killed pointlessly before you can accomplish anything. Immunity to fear, bad morale, and pain are advantages, but ones that robotic troops already have and organic ones can gain with combat drugs without losing much. And I think that the psychological effects of mowing down lines of stupid meat-puppets wouldn't be quite as devastating as you're hoping, and certainly not as potent as a single decent artilleryman or a few sturdy robots tearing your comrades up.

I'm saying that getting killed pointlessly is the exact opposite of what would happen. They would employ tactics as well as you'd expect from guys who'd been doing it since childhood. They wouldn't need to by micromanaged, seeing as they'd all be educated in strategy and tactics such that you could simply give them an objective, they form their own plan and requisition their own materials. If they can calculate that they could wipe out a 200-man enemy group by throwing 35 suicide troops at it, they'd do so without hesitation. "Disposable" doesn't mean "walk at you like a fucking idiot, not even shooting back." It means "I don't care if they die so long as you do."
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next