Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+33
Sindri
Downloaded Skill
CamoBadger
RoboRed
Mister Nikel
Katarn
tylertoon2
Ametros
Ki-Tarn
Aonee
Kippershy
Plasticube
Mech
WovenTales
SilentCarto
IncoherentOrange
O. Hinds
Harmony Ltd.
Meleagridis
Ketchup
Quotidian
FeatherDust
WavemasterRyx
OBS.GS.§S
OneMoreDaySK
Admiral Stoic Rum
Cptadder
Valikdu
Ironmonger
Stringtheory
Caoimhe
Vergil
37 posters

Page 6 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 33  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Kippershy wrote: Stuff

But suddenly I, in full football gear, tackle your derailing ass. Roid Rage

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Oh. is that so? You're going to stop me from derailing?
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Let's all be mature adults here and just drop this whole derail thing before it really starts going, hmm?
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Damn it Erumpet! You're ruining my plan!

I wasn't going for the derail card, but then Iron brought it up so I was going to troll him into derailing the thread with me without him realising until it was too late..
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Kippershy wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 1350849793955_zpsfc0a8492
um, what?
Spoiler:
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Kippershy wrote:Damn it Erumpet! You're ruining my plan!

I wasn't going for the derail card, but then Iron brought it up so I was going to troll him into derailing the thread with me without him realising until it was too late..

I was actually about to walk into the snare of your trap but realized it half-way through reading your previous post. Close call. x3 Anyway

INTO THE MOTHERLAND, THE GERMANE ARMY MARCH!
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 Poster2 *blaring drums and guitar*

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Erumpet wrote:First of all I signed up to change America Hinds, so I s'pose just keep me up to date then eh.
Secondly, I can see the bridge being built for rail lines a lot easier than just for walking, I don't know why I didn't think trains before. So yeah with trains it does seem like a practical idea, but as I said before I don't know if actually building the bridge is possible, but with the supports in place, attaching them should be fairly simple. Just add pylons right?
Well, me keeping you informed relies on them telling me things without telling you, but we'll see what happens.

The current design of the bridge has it carrying one rail line, three road lanes, and at least two pedestrian walkways.

Oh, it's quite an undertaking and will probably require a decade or so to complete, even with alchemically-engineered materials and extensive use of skycranes and robot labor. The only things in now are the tower foundations, and they probably need work done.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 pm

@Iron
Comrades, stand side by side, to stop the Nazi charge.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:45 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Erumpet wrote:First of all I signed up to change America Hinds, so I s'pose just keep me up to date then eh.
Secondly, I can see the bridge being built for rail lines a lot easier than just for walking, I don't know why I didn't think trains before. So yeah with trains it does seem like a practical idea, but as I said before I don't know if actually building the bridge is possible, but with the supports in place, attaching them should be fairly simple. Just add pylons right?
Well, me keeping you informed relies on them telling me things without telling you, but we'll see what happens.

The current design of the bridge has it carrying one rail line, three road lanes, and at least two pedestrian walkways.

Oh, it's quite an undertaking and will probably require a decade or so to complete, even with alchemically-engineered materials and extensive use of skycranes and robot labor. The only things in now are the tower foundations, and they probably need work done.
I'ma gonna let you finish but O.Hinds but your gonna need to define your terms here. First off how large a body of water is this bridge going to cover.

Second is this a waterway, open ocean or a bay of some sort.

And third, this is the important bit, how exactly are you going to construct the bridge supports. Because 60% of your bridge creation is in those supports. In our modern times that means cross hatching steel bolts thirty meters long and two meters across, tens of thousands of tons of concrete per support leg. From initial reads your talking about something ten times longer than Golden Gate or the Russky Bridge but again I missed your hard facts post of bridge dimensions and length..
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 pm

@CptAdder: I believe O. Hinds said the bridge supports where put in place pre-bomb drops, as part of a planned bridge. The plan was interrupted by bombs, 200 and some odd years later some ponies come along and say hey, let's finish this bridge.
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Katarn wrote:@Iron
Comrades, stand side by side, to stop the Nazi charge.

My camarads (yes we really do call eachother that) and I sung that song on our walk. People were given funny looks and I think we insulted a priest on accident. The funny looks weren't helped by the fact most of us were in 50's style suits.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Ironmonger wrote:*snip*
FOR THE EMPEROR!:
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:55 pm

For the Empress!:
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Spoiler:

Emprah.

Panzerkampf is one of my friend's favorite songs, actually.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:01 pm

So here is a question: Blackjack's terrible sense of taste, entirely innate, or partially innate and augmented by her, well, augmentations? What I mean to say is, would all natural Blackjack still like eating Glory Cakes in all their oily goodness? Disregarding of course the fact that they would kill her.
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 pm

BJ has a palate completely opposite of Littlepip, so I would think so, yes.

Probably has to do with growing up eating bland recycled food. Anything with different flavour is probably tasty to her.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Only thing I was thinking while reading that entire post:

Scootaburger.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Chickenburger, best burger
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Cptadder wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:

I'ma gonna let you finish but O.Hinds but your gonna need to define your terms here. First off how large a body of water is this bridge going to cover.

Second is this a waterway, open ocean or a bay of some sort.

And third, this is the important bit, how exactly are you going to construct the bridge supports. Because 60% of your bridge creation is in those supports. In our modern times that means cross hatching steel bolts thirty meters long and two meters across, tens of thousands of tons of concrete per support leg. From initial reads your talking about something ten times longer than Golden Gate or the Russky Bridge but again I missed your hard facts post of bridge dimensions and length..

Erumpet wrote:@CptAdder: I believe O. Hinds said the bridge supports where put in place pre-bomb drops, as part of a planned bridge. The plan was interrupted by bombs, 200 and some odd years later some ponies come along and say hey, let's finish this bridge.

O. Hinds wrote:Of course, that route would have to cross some dangerous territory, but it would also have to cross the Strait of Gibhalter. Train ferries could be utilized, but I've been pondering a bridge design (Like the Turris Prosperitatis, I'm headcanoning construction to have started before the war but have stopped with only the foundations built; those foundations might then have been used for seaforts, but I'm not entirely sure about that bit.). What do you (directed at the forum in general) think about a 75m clearance between the water and the bottom of the bridge structure, 7 390m-tall towers with 2km spans suspended from three cables, one rail line, three road lanes, and 4 pedestrian or miscellaneous paths?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Erumpet wrote:So here is a question: Blackjack's terrible sense of taste, entirely innate, or partially innate and augmented by her, well, augmentations? What I mean to say is, would all natural Blackjack still like eating Glory Cakes in all their oily goodness? Disregarding of course the fact that they would kill her.

Well then you'd have to consider that Glory wouldn't have made the cakes the same way. First off, since Blackjack doesn't need metal, the nails go, as well as the gemstones and the grease. So then you'd have a flour and grass concoction. Of course it would probably be just as horrible, but it'd be more on the mark of what Dawn was mentioning with "Ah, love..." when Blackjack decides to eat it regardless. She really needs some lessons from P-21 by the looks of it. Sure it's ok for Blackjack, but definitely not save for wholly biological consumption. Now I'm wondering, how would Spike feel about Glory's cooking?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:19 pm

spike and BJ would get along famously for their palate
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by OBS.GS.§S Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Erumpet wrote:So here is a question: Blackjack's terrible sense of taste, entirely innate, or partially innate and augmented by her, well, augmentations? What I mean to say is, would all natural Blackjack still like eating Glory Cakes in all their oily goodness? Disregarding of course the fact that they would kill her.

Well, considering that different gem stones and metal taste like fruit or other palatable flavors like mint and such to augmented blackjack, and like rocks to everyone else, I would assume that her augmentations give flavor to substances that would normally be inedible, but are now vital or helpful for Blackjack's general health. Perhaps there are sensors built into her tongue that detect certain chemicals and send a specialized signal to her brain to grant a specific taste based on the chemical detected.

What we would really need to know for certain is an instance where 100% biological Blackjack ate a rock or gem or even a piece of metal, anything that is normally inedible to an average pony but flavorful to Blackjack now would suffice, if such an instance existed.

@O. Hind's Bridge
I think I would be able to give more decent feedback for this if I had more context, such as why the zebras are building this bridge, what it's being made out of, where they are building it specifically (a map would be helpful since I only have a very basic understanding of the layout of the world.) A diagram would be especially helpful, and also I'm a bit unsure on what you want feedback on specifically about the idea, because the best I got right now is that it's very large and would be a rather impressive feat to complete. Also it's multipurpose with the railroad tracks, the normal roads, and the pedestrian pathways, which is always good.

By the way, I had an idea I've been wanting to share lately, but I don't want to interrupt your bridge discussion, so I'll wait until we're finished with this before I post it, unless you'd like me to flesh it out now that is.
OBS.GS.§S
OBS.GS.§S
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 5

Character List:
Name: Flashpoint
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by 222222 Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:20 pm

@OBS: lay it on us man, the PHCC is plenty capable of entertaining many trains of thought in tandem.
Also good point with the flavorful gems, I had forgotten about that.

Edit: RAWR ima Hyrda now, ima om nom nom you up with my regrowable heads
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:38 pm

OBS.GS.§S wrote:@O. Hind's Bridge
I think I would be able to give more decent feedback for this if I had more context, such as why the zebras are building this bridge, what it's being made out of, where they are building it specifically (a map would be helpful since I only have a very basic understanding of the layout of the world.) A diagram would be especially helpful, and also I'm a bit unsure on what you want feedback on specifically about the idea, because the best I got right now is that it's very large and would be a rather impressive feat to complete. Also it's multipurpose with the railroad tracks, the normal roads, and the pedestrian pathways, which is always good.
Well, the Strait of Gibhalter is included on my larger map alpha (located in my DA scraps). There's also this. I'm not sure what the construction material is, though it's probably at least in large part steel or steel-based. As for why the zebras originally started building it, it was partly to allow land traffic to move directly from one side of the strait to the other and partly to show off.

OBS.GS.§S wrote:By the way, I had an idea I've been wanting to share lately, but I don't want to interrupt your bridge discussion, so I'll wait until we're finished with this before I post it, unless you'd like me to flesh it out now that is.
Oh, feel free to go ahead and post it.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Erumpet wrote:@CptAdder: I believe O. Hinds said the bridge supports where put in place pre-bomb drops, as part of a planned bridge. The plan was interrupted by bombs, 200 and some odd years later some ponies come along and say hey, let's finish this bridge.
Derpy Hooves
Wait... this is a post war project?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tilt
O. Hinds wrote:Of course, that route would have to cross some dangerous territory, but it would also have to cross the Strait of Gibhalter. Train ferries could be utilized, but I've been pondering a bridge design (Like the Turris Prosperitatis, I'm headcanoning construction to have started before the war but have stopped with only the foundations built; those foundations might then have been used for seaforts, but I'm not entirely sure about that bit.). What do you (directed at the forum in general) think about a 75m clearance between the water and the bottom of the bridge structure, 7 390m-tall towers with 2km spans suspended from three cables, one rail line, three road lanes, and 4 pedestrian or miscellaneous paths?
O.Hinds I'm going to be as nice about this as possible, your purpose project requires roughly on the order of eighty thousand metric tons of steel. Maintenance on similar bridges is a constant process that requires at least forty full time workers year round to maintain the bridge because of the salt water. Re-painting, checking rivets, repairing minor damage and troubleshooting. The Golden gate bridge is estimated to last seven years without constant maintenance and that's seven years if it was not used in the mean time.

Depending on the length of your bridge (And your not using a suspend steel wire bridge for anything less than a hundred and fifty meter length) your talking about the equivalent of just over two billion man hours to produce similar bridges of one tenth the scale which average ten year construction times with four hundred to just over two thousand man construction crews.

Again this is important, what is the total distance of the entire bridge, because from what I'm reading your talking something twenty... nine? (It's 14 kilometers long correct?) bigger than anything constructed in the real world. At that distance the amount of materials required and the tensil forces... No no no no, we built underwater tunnels for those kind of distances. A bridge at that distance is something that might require a quarter of the entire US steel production for several years and cost in the hundreds of billions... and it's a post war project?

O.Hinds, please help me understand because this does not make sense, please help me make sense, this is... whacked out of your gourd crazy if I'm understanding you right even WITH magic. Your talking about a post war project which is going to directly require the entire production of a place like Fillydephia for a decade for the first two spans let alone all seven. And your talking about a bridge so massive as to dwarf any real world project in a post war world where the thought of getting together the roughly half a million ponies/zebras required to build this thing would be crazy. And I'm assuming your talking a one lane ten meter wide bridge because a full blown six lane highway is going to again massively jump the required materials and personnel.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Derpy Hooves
Wait... this is a post war project?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tilt
O.Hinds I'm going to be as nice about this as possible, your purpose project requires roughly on the order of eighty thousand metric tons of steel. Maintenance on similar bridges is a constant process that requires at least forty full time workers year round to maintain the bridge because of the salt water. Re-painting, checking rivets, repairing minor damage and troubleshooting. The Golden gate bridge is estimated to last seven years without constant maintenance and that's seven years if it was not used in the mean time.

Depending on the length of your bridge (And your not using a suspend steel wire bridge for anything less than a hundred and fifty meter length) your talking about the equivalent of just over two billion man hours to produce similar bridges of one tenth the scale which average ten year construction times with four hundred to just over two thousand man construction crews.

Again this is important, what is the total distance of the entire bridge, because from what I'm reading your talking something twenty... nine? (It's 14 kilometers long correct?) bigger than anything constructed in the real world. At that distance the amount of materials required and the tensil forces... No no no no, we built underwater tunnels for those kind of distances. A bridge at that distance is something that might require a quarter of the entire US steel production for several years and cost in the hundreds of billions... and it's a post war project?

O.Hinds, please help me understand because this does not make sense, please help me make sense, this is... whacked out of your gourd crazy if I'm understanding you right even WITH magic. Your talking about a post war project which is going to directly require the entire production of a place like Fillydephia for a decade for the first two spans let alone all seven. And your talking about a bridge so massive as to dwarf any real world project in a post war world where the thought of getting together the roughly half a million ponies/zebras required to build this thing would be crazy. And I'm assuming your talking a one lane ten meter wide bridge because a full blown six lane highway is going to again massively jump the required materials and personnel.
...Perhaps I got just a wee bit overambitious? [taps hooves together] Heh... Well, this is one of the reasons why I asked the forum for its opinions. Okay, put off the plans for the bridge for maybe another twenty years at least (putting the start of construction at around 31 SR at the earliest) and in the meantime, if necessary, use ferries and perhaps a more practical but less visually impressive tunnel (which would still be a prestige project, of course, just not one quite so visible or conspicuously intensive).

Oh, and for the "deck" I was thinking of using an 11.5m-diameter cylindrical design.
rough diagram:
The four smallest squares are the pedestrian/miscellaneous passage, the three nearly square rectangles are the road lanes, and the large rectangle is the rail line. The cylinder itself would probably be an open framework design.

(Oh, and yes, about 14 klicks total length with most of the spans being two kilometers.)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:18 am

I have a bit of writing I wanted to share, some tinkering around for my story. It's a bit vague so I don't spoil anything. Any thoughts?
Spoiler:

Last edited by Ironmonger on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:29 am

Spoiler:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:35 am

@Valikdu
Sindri is responsible for everything. World hunger? SINDRIIIIIIIII! War in the Middle East? SINDRIIIIIIIII! Not enough funding for schools? SINDRIIIIIIIII! Mailman got the wrong address? SINDRIIIIIIIII! Ran out of beer? SINDRIIIIIIIII! Significant other being a bitch or bastard? SINDRIIIIIIIII!

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 am

Blarg, still haven't read the latest chapter >_< I did get my "Colour Out Of Space" comic finished, though, and it's not too terrible. Still can't draw people, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 33  Next