Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+42
Stringtheory
iLateralGX
Mister Nikel
MLPOCG
Harmony Ltd.
Karasu
Tytan
The Holy Tuna
Ametros
Scootayay
FoolNeim
SilentCarto
WavemasterRyx
Somber
WovenTales
Scyto Harmony
O. Hinds
hawkeye92
Meleagridis
Sindri
Katarn
Derpmind
CamoBadger
Icy Shake
nebulous
FeatherDust
Cptadder
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
RandomBlank
Admiral Stoic Rum
OneMoreDaySK
tylertoon2
Vergil
RoboRed
Kattlarv
Ironmonger
IncoherentOrange
Ketchup
Kippershy
Caoimhe
46 posters

Page 5 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by RoboRed Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:57 am

Well, I had my Sunday all planned out for reading fanfics...guess PH is going first.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:10 am

Arrgh, headache, dizzy, out of painkillers... gotta stay up! Maybe water will help. Looking forward to new chapter, though!

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 am

Somber wrote:We're 1/2 done with brushing c50. a few more hours...
That sounds like wonderful progress, sir. We'll be looking forward to it once it's done.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:03 am

Somber wrote:We're 1/2 done with brushing c50. a few more hours...
I know what I'm doing tomorrow! Sweetie Belle
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 am

50 is up! Good grief, has it really been fourteen hours? No wonder I'm so tired.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:20 am

And thus, my attention shall now be diverted away from this topic until tomorrow when I finish the chapter...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolNeim Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 am

Sindri wrote:According to Somber, Ch. 50 should begin brushing
tomorrow. Also she called it terrible, and in my experience when Somber
says the new chapter is terrible, it turns out especially
awesome.

Main thought: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 5 1639762117

Also great artists quite often hate their own work and have extremely low opinions of their own ability. It's the inverse part of the Kruger-Dunning affect as they don't think anything they do is ever quite good enough, even if they write some epically epic story involving alcoholic, telekinetic ninja cyberponies in the post-apocalypse that's so epic that you have to come up with new words to describe its epicness.

WovenTales wrote:After all, a Fallout/MLP crossover makes no sense.

I know this is a bit of a tangent, sorry:

Thinking about it, I think Fallout / FiM works as a crossover because of the combination of strong characters + strong, dynamic environment. Obviously it still takes a very talented writer to pull off the gestalt, but FO:E and PH are not awesome in spite of the bizarreness of the crossover. It's because that creating characters that are endearing and putting them in an apocalyptic, but open-ended environment, with ever present but ever distant hope, with those things you have the ingredients for epicness. I haven't actually played Fallout, but the impression I get is a proper combination of the two parents is all about these things. FiM has very strongly written characters, likable, flawed, relatable, fallible, diverse, and entertaining. PH has all of those things as well. It also takes place in an environment where ponies are all but forced to either change for the better, change for the worse, a little of both, or die.

So good on Kkat for navigating that brilliantly and on Somber for potentially topping her.

Also, Somber, if you're reading, plz take care of urself.
FoolNeim
FoolNeim
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:05 am

What I've found so far:
Spoiler:
I'll be looking further. And chapter is good. Thanks both to Somber and editing crew Rainbow
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:22 am

IncoherentOrange wrote:No. Other crossovers not based on FoE.

I've seen one where The Wanderer crashes an alien ship and ends up in the Everfree. Didn't like it much, though.

Or even if they are, as I could imagine someone writing an FoE/Fallout cross. (Well, that'd be fun, wouldn't it?)

Could be fun, I guess.

That story has an interesting premise, but I have to say that the writing isn't as good.

Well... It can be improved. Compared to the absolute mess PS used to be, I'd say it can definitely get better. And I like the psychological and societal aspects.

50 is up!

But I was planning to... Well, frak whatever I was planning to do. READ READ READ READ
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Scootayay Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:23 am

I haven't counted them yet, but I'm pretty sure ch50 breaks the 1 million word mark. CONGRATULATIONS!
Scootayay
Scootayay
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:55 am

Just my thoughts...heh...I think it's actually first time, I'm trying make a review or somethin' like that...so:
Spoiler:
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:57 am

Looks like things're going to get busy around here. Have fun readin', folks, I'm going to be writing... something today.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:07 am

FoolNeim wrote:I think Fallout / FiM works as a crossover because of the combination of strong characters + strong, dynamic environment. Obviously it still takes a very talented writer to pull off the gestalt, but FO:E and PH are not awesome in spite of the bizarreness of the crossover. It's because that creating characters that are endearing and putting them in an apocalyptic, but open-ended environment, with ever present but ever distant hope, with those things you have the ingredients for epicness. I haven't actually played Fallout, but the impression I get is a proper combination of the two parents is all about these things. FiM has very strongly written characters, likable, flawed, relatable, fallible, diverse, and entertaining. PH has all of those things as well. It also takes place in an environment where ponies are all but forced to either change for the better, change for the worse, a little of both, or die.

Absolutely; Fallout (especially 2 and 3, but it could be debated endlessly) has a notable lack of three-dimensional characters. FiM doesn't. On the other hand, Fallout has a world that requires adaptation and presents constant challenges for the characters to resolve. FiM provides that only to protagonists. Fallout applies it to everyone. It's an interesting mix.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:48 am

Got to the new chapter within the night this time, because I really don't need to sleep anyway!

Commentary might be a bit sparser than I usually do, but I found myself without much to say about a lot of the proceedings.
Spoiler:
Overall I liked it a lot. As far as I can tell Somber didn't screw up Glory's characterization like she was afraid of. Lots of endings and beginnings here, some confirmations or significant supports for old theories, and hints of things to come.

One possible typo?:
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Ametros Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 am

Another fine chapter - I don't understand what you worry about Somber!!
Like other's mine isn't a particularly long commentary, but the chapter was excellent regardless.

Commentary:

Errors:
Ametros
Ametros
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:07 am

Somber, thank you so much for writing this story. To Hinds, Bronode, and Snipe as well. Thank you all for taking so much time out of your lives to give this story life.

As always, I'll try my best to get the full commentary done as soon as I can.
Initial thoughts on the chapter:
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:32 am

What the hell I got bed at a decent hour and you update? Okay
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by The Holy Tuna Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 am

Greetings, mortals. As you know, PH discussions quickly take a turn for the strange. New chapter comments are no different. Here is the most recent chat log with an 'interesting' story about Snipehamster and an anonymous user starting at line 501. Enjoy.
The Holy Tuna
The Holy Tuna
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 3

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:35 am

I regret not getting up earlier. Will begin reading in an hour or so after going out for lunch, maybe interrupted by movie-going.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Well, the latest chapter was really good. Not a ton of action but it does need a break. Goddess taking over, reminding everyone that she is actually really evil (I forgot she was really nasty for a while), the plan to help Rampage and the back and forth between Glory and Blackjack was great- also another really good cliffhanger.

Out of the blue I have no idea where it's going to go which is an exciting prospect.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Spoiler:
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 5 1050834305
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Spoiler:
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:45 pm

@O.Hinds: (R34) No, no, not that. Our comment thread usually split at page 34 you know? This time it went over that by a few pages :P
And ah, seems like SOMEONE else than me remembered [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 5 524433800 Yay! And you call me perverse *gigglesnorts* I win this round xD

@Cao: No, no, I am sure you mean "Get yer mind IN it" [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 5 2322646808

@Vali: Seems kinda interesting, and technically leans in to approve one of my "things" hehe. But won't have time to read it, seems interesting though as said, and also seems to appeal to the whole "anatomy" thing.

@Iron: Well, I do try to both make sense, as much as I can, and not be dull hehe.

@Inco: (Stables) As said, has kinda been already been done, unless you mean "lesser known" or "unknown" stables, like the one I made, stable 69 (not to be confused with 89, the "fake" 69 xP Nor the actually side fic one that somewhat recently popped up. But as said, made my stable like, a year ago or so. But yeah, would technically have to change number if I ever want to throw it in.) I originally wanted 42, but that was already taken when I made it. As said, mentioned it before, but base premise was that it only had mares in it. To see how/if they would build their society/rules differently if they only were mares from the start with no male influence at all. And it was planned to "jump" between the main 3 characters each chapter.

@EP: And hey! Looks like the worst time possible to make a new comment, but what the heck, cba to wait 1-2 days to post heh. Will not be able to read it today, but will make a chunk of it hopefully. And uegh... sometimes I really hate my mom. If she at least could stop comparing me to my sister. "She has a boyfriend", "she's studying medicine", "she's won gold medals in both the world, and the European championships". And some people wonder why I have an inferiority complex... anyhow, looking forward to reading this, and I hope to Gummy it will not be a huge let down or disappointing like large parts of some of the other recent ones. But eh, who knows, Somber writes what makes sense to her.
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:28 pm

here's something I think needs fixing:

Spoiler:
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Okay reaction time, spent a few hours knowing there was a chapter today but being unable to read it because of life.

Right then reactions

What I liked
The fight was a lot shorter than I thought it would be but it flowed well.

Blackjack wrote:That… she was upset about that?” I muttered, trying to wrap my head around it. It was crazy to be upset about sex. That was like… like being upset because somepony stole your carrot chips in the cafeteria.
That's such a perfect 99'ers analogy

Glory wrote:Well… good for her…” she muttered.
I love how that comes out after Glory is hearing about what happen to Whisper, in context it's adokrable like "oh yeah the batpony who shagged my girl hooked up with the crazy pony... good for her.. I guess?"

Oh hey it's Boo, and she has plot details! Thanks for stopping by Boo

Pinkie Pie does have slasher villain powers doesn't she? No matter how fast you run and how slow she bounces she always beats you there

Another Watcher conversation! I always like these carefully done links back to FoE... Champion in bed

Best conversation wrote:“The only theory I’ll accept,” I thought bluntly at her. “If we don’t find any proof, then we keep digging till we do. Like with science. And if we still don’t, then we lie till we do.”
“That’s not how science works, Blackjack,” Lacunae told me with an air of infinite patience.
But that my dear is how MAD Science works! Nothing trumps Science but MAD Science!

What I noticed
First off the Glory+Blackjack confrontation played out as "" envisioned it to begin with so point goes to "". But the fact the 99'ers stepped in and Glory started pummeling her good, hmm partial credit?

P-21 has a hat, when did he get a hat? Is it a Applejack hat, and if not why do I imagine him with a pony shaped John Deere trucker hat?

Scotch Tape having set backs is good, to many people think design work is easy

Boo wrote:Boo flopped into a half-empty box. I looked around the dim space. “I dunno if you can hear me, but… I’d like to talk, if we could.” The pale blank sat up with a crinkly astronomy magazine atop her head like a hat
Dawww

The Goddess is talking in her normal bombastic voice when threatening Blackjack is odd

Interesting Charity dislikes Scotch for having a parent, that's one of those obvious in retrospect things.

Ahah so Glory IS into the dominatrix thing, and her safe word is apparently Rainbow Dash... that's all kind of messed up

And hello Glory's mom.

What I disliked[/b]
Spoiler:

No boats were dropped on Blackjack this week.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Hey.... question did Blackjack ever tell Watcher that she let Discord run free? More and more I wonder about that. About who knows he's free and what he's up to.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:39 pm

@Kattlarv I can relate to that a little. I have a brother 8 years my senior with an IQ of 240 last time I checked, and while I'm above average myself I feel completely stupid or straight-up mentally disabled when I'm around him.

Also I figured out (I think) why its a bad idea to compare to Somber. He did most of the story while unemployed so he had a ton of time. I think he also has a passion for writing which makes him lightning fast at writing. Unlike me who writes as a hobby an has a busy-ass day and little free time. It's like comparing a Sherman tank to an IS-2. Derpy Hooves

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Ironmonger wrote:@Kattlarv I can relate to that a little. I have a brother 8 years my senior with an IQ of 240 last time I checked, and while I'm above average myself I feel completely stupid or straight-up mentally disabled when I'm around him.
Wait 240? On what scale? The standard Stanford–Binet Intelligence Scales go from 0 to 160 with scores higher than 170 being impossible to get even if you factor in age bonuses (Someone who's 14 taking the same test as a 30 year old both getting identical number of correct answers the 30 year old might get a 140 while the 14 gets a 160 because of age factors)

So 240 on what scale?

*Edit
Another factor with the Stanford Binet is it's periodic revision as it seeks to graph average intelligence meaning a 1920 test is easier than a 2012 test as average human intelligence has been increasing by a two point factor every generation which means the average score of humanity is twelve points higher than when the tests were first administered thus the scoring system has been adjusted for that fact.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:48 pm

@Cptadder @P-21's hat. It's hat from (sorry forgot the name) a pony from mine, who was left barely alive by Sanguine, after BJ was 'augmented'
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm unsure of what scale or test. The only data I can offer is that my mother told me this and she was serious, she doesn't know what test or scale. That's why I said 'last time I checked' because saying something so debatable as final would be dumb.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next