Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+49
Scienza
Tacoman587
Downloaded Skill
iLateralGX
Luminous Lead
atikin
Veradon Chimera
Caoimhe
Train Dodger
Laperlazus
Thoroar
Stack Trace
FoolNeim
nallar
Vixie
PeppyJoe
joltius
Strawberry
Technowolf
neoaustin
Anonymouss
BLame
Caringhide
Silver136
Vexd
decumos
Evilgidgit
Exodus Hero
Blue Heron
tylertoon2
Vergil
RoboRed
MiniGaunt
Derpmind
Harmony Ltd.
MSCA
FeatherDust
O. Hinds
Icy Shake
SilentCarto
JadedPony
CD
Dekshuduph
Valikdu
Somber
ILM126
WavemasterRyx
Epsilon
Borsuq
53 posters

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 15 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:59 am

Chapter Sixty Nine Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty Nine Editing:
Other Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 15 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:07 am

@Icy Shake:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

“You! I… you are out of your perverted striped mind!” I snorted, shifting back and forth awkwardly. “He’s a priest. I’m sure he’s taken vows or… or… something!”

“What value in a vow that is never tested? Or
has been changed to
"I-- I don't have time for that!"

"Not now, but later... Or

Icy Shake wrote:probably fine based on different emotional states in each case, but thought it would be worth bringing up just in case
Right, I have some vague memories suggesting that this might actually have been brought up at the time. Suicide doesn't happen. It simply doesn't! Except when it does, but then everyone tries to apply "Don't think about it" extra hard.
Thanks, though.

Icy Shake wrote:Is "surfacer" the right word there? I think that was more used by the Enclave to describe people on the ground than people in the stables to describe the people outside.
Aye, that one I clearly remember bringing up during brushing. Still can't think of anything better, though, unfortunately.

Icy Shake wrote:again, this is kind of weird, since this and the other case in the chapter were almost the only time that it wasn't explictily as a contrast to the Enclave or pegasi, and the one other time ("“You need to think like a surfacer here, Blackjack, not a stable pony or cloud dweller,” Rampage replied." from 61) might work better as "Wastelander". Oh, and Blackjack has specifically identified herself as a surfacer before, and was probably the person most often called "surfacer"
Aye. You have any thoughts? "Wastelander" doesn't work here (though I've make the change in 61).

Icy Shake wrote:I'm not seeing anything prompting Velvet to sigh
The relationship stuff, I think.

[quote-"Icy Shake"]Suggest a paragraph break after one of the first two sentences. Really should have one somewhere, since right now you have two speakers in the same paragraph.[/quote]
I decided that it would be better after the third sentence.

Icy Shake wrote:is "stupid that doesn't stay down" in a lighter color than the rest?
Icy Shake wrote:is "I want them to do it of their own free will." in a lighter color than the rest?
...Um, yes. Yes, they seem to be. Why?
...Well, fixed now, anyway.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 am

Icy Shake wrote:Frankly, it's an unpleasant situation which may all the same have been for the best, but I have a lot of sympathy for P-21's position that she could have waited to break it off until after the battle and moon operation are over. And frankly "there was no good time, and you have a baby now!" doesn't exactly cut it for me, since the whole point is no, they'll have a baby in a few months, and only if they get through this alive and recover Blackjack's old body. I know it's not fair, but none of it was fair to anyone, and that at least seems more expedient. If we can't have fair, can't we at least have that?

Yeah, I didn't like that much. It came off to me like "One or both of us may be dead in the next couple of days, and I didn't want to risk missing the chance to tell you that I'm breaking up with you." Huh?!
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Is "surfacer" the right word there? I think that was more used by the Enclave to describe people on the ground than people in the stables to describe the people outside.
Aye, that one I clearly remember bringing up during brushing.  Still can't think of anything better, though, unfortunately.

Icy Shake wrote:again, this is kind of weird, since this and the other case in the chapter were almost the only time that it wasn't explictily as a contrast to the Enclave or pegasi, and the one other time ("“You need to think like a surfacer here, Blackjack, not a stable pony or cloud dweller,” Rampage replied." from 61) might work better as "Wastelander". Oh, and Blackjack has specifically identified herself as a surfacer before, and was probably the person most often called "surfacer"
Aye.  You have any thoughts?  "Wastelander" doesn't work here (though I've make the change in 61).
Yeah, it's hard. Maybe "outside ponies" or "outsiders"/"outsider ponies"? The focus on "outside" might fit well with the repeated use of "outside" in chapter one.

So "Outside[r] ponies... who could figure them out?" or "So please stop with the weird outside[r] hangups about sex, because it’s really weird."

Best I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone else will think of something.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Icy Shake wrote:On a heavier note, Chapter 69 can really suck you in if you start thinking about the different facets of Blackjack/Glory/P-21 and how things got built up, how they might have gone differently. What mistakes were made. Frankly, it's an unpleasant situation which may all the same have been for the best, but I have a lot of sympathy for P-21's position that she could have waited to break it off until after the battle and moon operation are over. And frankly "there was no good time, and you have a baby now!" doesn't exactly cut it for me, since the whole point is no, they'll have a baby in a few months, and only if they get through this alive and recover Blackjack's old body. I know it's not fair, but none of it was fair to anyone, and that at least seems more expedient. If we can't have fair, can't we at least have that?

It's understandable and all given that BJ is the main character, but you guys value her feelings so much more than anyone else's. Let me ask you something and be honest, would it have been better for Glory to hide the fact she wanted to break it off with BJ and procede to be emotionally distant? That for BJ would have been incredibly distracting. She'd want to seek out the problem and fix it, being hard headed as she is she would have found the problem without Glory having to say anything.

To paraphrase a chracter from telltale's Walking Dead:

"There will never be a good time, but there will be worse times."

It's much better that she got the news when she was at a place to deal with it, instead of figuring it out in a much worse position down the line.

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:24 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Yeah, it's hard. Maybe "outside ponies" or "outsiders"/"outsider ponies"? The focus on "outside" might fit well with the repeated use of "outside" in chapter one.

So "Outside[r] ponies... who could figure them out?" or "So please stop with the weird outside[r] hangups about sex, because it’s really weird."

I'm not sure that that's better enough to be worth switching in, sorry. Thanks, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:47 pm

Last wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:On a heavier note, Chapter 69 can really suck you in if you start thinking about the different facets of Blackjack/Glory/P-21 and how things got built up, how they might have gone differently. What mistakes were made. Frankly, it's an unpleasant situation which may all the same have been for the best, but I have a lot of sympathy for P-21's position that she could have waited to break it off until after the battle and moon operation are over. And frankly "there was no good time, and you have a baby now!" doesn't exactly cut it for me, since the whole point is no, they'll have a baby in a few months, and only if they get through this alive and recover Blackjack's old body. I know it's not fair, but none of it was fair to anyone, and that at least seems more expedient. If we can't have fair, can't we at least have that?

It's understandable and all given that BJ is the main character, but you guys value her feelings so much more than anyone else's. Let me ask you something and be honest, would it have been better for Glory to hide the fact she wanted to break it off with BJ and procede to be emotionally distant? That for BJ would have been incredibly distracting. She'd want to seek out the problem and fix it, being hard headed as she is she would have found the problem without Glory having to say anything.

To paraphrase a chracter from telltale's Walking Dead:

"There will never be a good time, but there will be worse times."

It's much better that she got the news when she was at a place to deal with it, instead of figuring it out in a much worse position down the line.
Well . . . yes. Although I think that what Glory did was well within the bounds of acceptability and may even have resulted in the best available outcome, yes. There was ample room to cover for emotional distance due to the months apart, Glory's perception that she had cheated on Blackjack with the one impostor, and everything with Cognitum. Glory says something to that effect, that it will take some time for her to be comfortable with Blackjack again after everything that has happened, and it can probably hold reasonably well through a few very busy days until things are over. It probably ends up a minor distraction, but very likely less so than what we actually had with Blackjack seeming to stop every few lines to think about getting Glory back. And while I don't know Walking Dead very well, at a guess I wouldn't say that they have an easily identifiable end point in the immediate future such that, if they can keep things together for maybe three to five days, every possible time would be a better time.

Then again, in that same split post, on the same topic, I did say "I'm strongly inclined to take Blackjack's side in most things," so I might not be the best person to ask.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Yeah, it's hard. Maybe "outside ponies" or "outsiders"/"outsider ponies"? The focus on "outside" might fit well with the repeated use of "outside" in chapter one.

I'm not sure that that's better enough to be worth switching in, sorry.  Thanks, though.
Fair enough.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:44 am

Icy Shake wrote:
Well . . . yes. Although I think that what Glory did was well within the bounds of acceptability and may even have resulted in the best available outcome, yes. There was ample room to cover for emotional distance due to the months apart, Glory's perception that she had cheated on Blackjack with the one impostor, and everything with Cognitum. Glory says something to that effect, that it will take some time for her to be comfortable with Blackjack again after everything that has happened, and it can probably hold reasonably well through a few very busy days until things are over. It probably ends up a minor distraction, but very likely less so than what we actually had with Blackjack seeming to stop every few lines to think about getting Glory back. And while I don't know Walking Dead very well, at a guess I wouldn't say that they have an easily identifiable end point in the immediate future such that, if they can keep things together for maybe three to five days, every possible time would be a better time.

Then again, in that same split post, on the same topic, I did say "I'm strongly inclined to take Blackjack's side in most things," so I might not be the best person to ask.

Fair enough, I'm not gonna try and argue against bias.

The walking dead quote I was just using to illustrate the point that while there never is a good time for this kind of thing there are plenty of bad times do so. This was a good enough time, P-21 was able to spend hours comforting BJ because of the time Glory chose, something he would have not been able to do in the middle of a gunfight or a more tense moment sometime down the road.

As for holding it together, let's be frank, Glory would be holding it together forever. Remember at the party? With the burners? BJ is already looking towards the next problem. There is no peace for BJ, if she's physically able she'll be taking gunshots with a descended belly, and then months later she'll be turning into gunfire so the swaddle containing her children on the other side isn't peppered. Nothing about BJ gives off the idea she'll ever settle down. Regardless of the ideas she likes to entertain occasionally.

Five days later, after the end has blown over, Glory would be sitting there mouth agape ready to speak her mind and the doors of whatever residence they'd taken up would explode inward, her short opportunity lost.

tl:dr In conclusion, I personally don't think Glory is bad at all for this. I just think she's a person who got fed up with a relationship they weren't all that happy in.

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Minor problem: the autolinking system that Nallar uses now appears to have tacked some a Russian translation onto the end of its online copy of the story. Any ideas for how to fix that?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:15 pm

I don't know if it would work or not, but you might be able to get around it by having the URL for the Russian GDoc hub page in plaintext rather than hyperlinked.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:01 am

I'll give it a shot; thanks.

Also, on another note, ILM126, I was looking at your trajectory plot, and you appear to have used a rotating Equus in your trajectory plotting. I apologize for not noticing this before, but PH, as far as I know, uses a nonrotating Equus. Sorry again for not catching this earlier.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by ILM126 Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:50 am

O. Hinds wrote:I'll give it a shot; thanks.

Also, on another note, ILM126, I was looking at your trajectory plot, and you appear to have used a rotating Equus in your trajectory plotting.  I apologize for not noticing this before, but PH, as far as I know, uses a nonrotating Equus.  Sorry again for not catching this earlier.

Hmm, alright. Looks like I'll need to work on another version quickly... Thanks for the heads up ^^
ILM126
ILM126
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://ilm126.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:45 pm

You're welcome. Sorry about the inconvenience.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:59 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Also, on another note, ILM126, I was looking at your trajectory plot, and you appear to have used a rotating Equus in your trajectory plotting.  I apologize for not noticing this before, but PH, as far as I know, uses a nonrotating Equus.  Sorry again for not catching this earlier.
Huh... so geosynchronous orbit is impossible? Interesting...

Also interesting that Pink Eyes' Ponymedes* system consists of 12 orbital weapons platforms, so they wouldn't require a geosynchronous orbit to always have one within 15 degrees of a target's longitude. Its proximity to the target's zenith would depend on the latitude, of course.

*I just threw up a little in my mouth.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:27 pm

@Last: Ah, I see where you're coming from. It's just I happen to disagree with the idea that such times (while not good) would not be better than right then, absent an active firefight. The stakes just aren't the same, nor is the probable danger. And it's not like Blackjack and company never have downtime. They've fairly frequently had periods of several hours to multiple days where they didn't have anything especially pressing.

@SC: No mundane geosynchronous orbit is possible (just ask Nightmare Moon). But then, that's the caveat to pretty much everything in the setting. Anyway, I try not to think too much about PE, for similar reasons and others. But it did have its moments.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:18 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Huh... so geosynchronous orbit is impossible? Interesting...
Aye, and any given satellite passes over the same ground points every cycle, invariant with the diurnal cycle. This makes some things easier (examples: two or three satellites in a single molniya orbit can cover a high-altitude location without the planet rotating away from them, and launches to the west have no dv penalty) and others harder (examples: covering every point on the surface takes more than one satellite in a polar orbit and some time, launches to the east have no dv bonus, and plane change maneuvers become much more important while remaining expensive).
It also has implications on the ground, such as the lack of a Coriolis effect and the attendant effects on weather patterns.
Hopefully we've not missed any implications...

SilentCarto wrote:Also interesting that Pink Eyes' Ponymedes* system consists of 12 orbital weapons platforms, so they wouldn't require a geosynchronous orbit to always have one within 15 degrees of a target's longitude. Its proximity to the target's zenith would depend on the latitude, of course.

Aye, you could put them each in a polar orbit thirty degrees apart. You'd have to wait for them to be overhead, but that's probably only about an hour and a half at most. Actually, though, not polar orbits; it would probably be much easier to have one of the cross points be over the launch site. Then you wouldn't have to do any plane changes, assuming that you set each up in a separate launch.

Icy Shake wrote:No mundane geosynchronous orbit is possible (just ask Nightmare Moon). But then, that's the caveat to pretty much everything in the setting.
Not sure if those would really count as orbits then, but yeah. Magic.

Icy Shake wrote:Anyway, I try not to think too much about PE, for similar reasons and others. But it did have its moments.
Same here, pretty much. I never finished it, don't expect to, and don't include it in my headcanon, but I do seem to remember it having a few good bits.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by ILM126 Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:07 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Also, on another note, ILM126, I was looking at your trajectory plot, and you appear to have used a rotating Equus in your trajectory plotting.  I apologize for not noticing this before, but PH, as far as I know, uses a nonrotating Equus.  Sorry again for not catching this earlier.
Huh... so geosynchronous orbit is impossible? Interesting...

Also interesting that Pink Eyes' Ponymedes* system consists of 12 orbital weapons platforms, so they wouldn't require a geosynchronous orbit to always have one within 15 degrees of a target's longitude. Its proximity to the target's zenith would depend on the latitude, of course.

Looks like the science of Space Travel in the Equus system just got a whole lot more interesting. Rainbow
ILM126
ILM126
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by ILM126 Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:14 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Huh... so geosynchronous orbit is impossible? Interesting...
Aye, and any given satellite passes over the same ground points every cycle, invariant with the diurnal cycle.  This makes some things easier (examples: two or three satellites in a single molniya orbit can cover a high-altitude location without the planet rotating away from them, and launches to the west have no dv penalty) and others harder (examples: covering every point on the surface takes more than one satellite in a polar orbit and some time, launches to the east have no dv bonus, and plane change maneuvers become much more important while remaining expensive).
It also has implications on the ground, such as the lack of a Coriolis effect and the attendant effects on weather patterns.
Hopefully we've not missed any implications...

SilentCarto wrote:Also interesting that Pink Eyes' Ponymedes* system consists of 12 orbital weapons platforms, so they wouldn't require a geosynchronous orbit to always have one within 15 degrees of a target's longitude. Its proximity to the target's zenith would depend on the latitude, of course.

Aye, you could put them each in a polar orbit thirty degrees apart.  You'd have to wait for them to be overhead, but that's probably only about an hour and a half at most.  Actually, though, not polar orbits; it would probably be much easier to have one of the cross points be over the launch site.  Then you wouldn't have to do any plane changes, assuming that you set each up in a separate launch.

Icy Shake wrote:No mundane geosynchronous orbit is possible (just ask Nightmare Moon). But then, that's the caveat to pretty much everything in the setting.
Not sure if those would really count as orbits then, but yeah.  Magic.

Icy Shake wrote:Anyway, I try not to think too much about PE, for similar reasons and others. But it did have its moments.
Same here, pretty much.  I never finished it, don't expect to, and don't include it in my headcanon, but I do seem to remember it having a few good bits.

No wonder the weather systems are quite chaotic, and possibly why magic is possible (or something). Because the physics is very different to ours, that maybe why Equus doesn't spin. gah! Scootaloo I'm not going try to understand this while I still have morning grogginess, I just remembered that the latest chapter would be released already. But turns out that it's being edited now or something, because the title is already up on the page :\

Code:
[b]Chapter 75 - To the last [Coming Soon][/b]
“[Placeholder]”

That chapter name... How I'll come back and check in a few hours...
ILM126
ILM126
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:00 pm

Icy Shake wrote:@SC: No mundane geosynchronous orbit is possible (just ask Nightmare Moon). But then, that's the caveat to pretty much everything in the setting. Anyway, I try not to think too much about PE, for similar reasons and others. But it did have its moments.
If it's being held up by magic, that's not an orbit, it's levitation.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:@SC: No mundane geosynchronous orbit is possible (just ask Nightmare Moon). But then, that's the caveat to pretty much everything in the setting. Anyway, I try not to think too much about PE, for similar reasons and others. But it did have its moments.
If it's being held up by magic, that's not an orbit, it's levitation.
Well, I can think of other options than levitation per se, such as a one-time magical hold freezing something in place relative to the surface or center of the planet. But whatever the mechanism or whatever you call it, with an appropriate application of magic, you can get something that looks an awful lot like geosynchronous orbit.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:45 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Aye, you could put them each in a polar orbit thirty degrees apart.  You'd have to wait for them to be overhead, but that's probably only about an hour and a half at most.  Actually, though, not polar orbits; it would probably be much easier to have one of the cross points be over the launch site.  Then you wouldn't have to do any plane changes, assuming that you set each up in a separate launch.
I don't know.... making sure you had a satellite reasonably close to zenith for the entire planet at all times would require something more on the scale of a GPS network -- at least 24, assuming you orchestrated them to never double-cover the same area and considered anywhere within 45 degrees of zenith to be "overhead". (Also, spherical geometry sucks.) In practice it would probably take something more like 60 sats as a back-of-the-envelope estimate, but that's spending an awful lot of effort to cover barren ice caps and oceans.

On the other hoof, as you point out, orbital inclination becomes largely a non-issue with a non-rotating planet. If you only cared about a particular swath of land -- say, Equestria -- you could choose any arbitrary path that provided the best coverage and set up your ring of a dozen satellites along that line. If you only cared about a few particular patches, as you point out, three sats sharing a highly elliptical orbit would approximate a single geosynchronous sat. (It wouldn't need to be at the Molniya/Tundra orbital inclination, since with no rotation there's no equatorial bulge to adjust for.)

Spoilers for "The Cutie Map":
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:45 am

ILM126 wrote:Looks like the science of Space Travel in the Equus system just got a whole lot more interesting. Rainbow
Ah, I'm glad that that's your reaction. :)

ILM126 wrote:I just remembered that the latest chapter would be released already. But turns out that it's being edited now or something, because the title is already up on the page :\
It's not going up this weekend, sorry. It looks like it will be a long one. We're hoping for next weekend. Did you want to wait until it came out to do more work? I can't confirm or deny that there's anything relevant, of course, but, as Tom hasn't hit yet in the posted chapters, there is indeed a possibility that there might be.

SilentCarto wrote:I don't know.... making sure you had a satellite reasonably close to zenith for the entire planet at all times would require something more on the scale of a GPS network -- at least 24, assuming you orchestrated them to never double-cover the same area and considered anywhere within 45 degrees of zenith to be "overhead". (Also, spherical geometry sucks.) In practice it would probably take something more like 60 sats as a back-of-the-envelope estimate, but that's spending an awful lot of effort to cover barren ice caps and oceans.
Right, as I said, you'd not have them constantly overhead, but the period is probably only about ninety minutes. Too long for some applications, sure, but quite sufficient for others.

Anyway, I think that I may have misinterpreted what I was replying to. Were you thinking of having them all share an equatorial orbit or something?

SilentCarto wrote:On the other hoof, as you point out, orbital inclination becomes largely a non-issue with a non-rotating planet.
Well, not exactly. You still have to get the satellites into the orbits you want, and for some applications, the shifting ground coverage is advantageous.

SilentCarto wrote:
Spoilers for "The Cutie Map":
Hm, interesting; I didn't notice any of that.
[looks at your name]
Oh, right. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vixie Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:11 am

Well this was reminiscent of reading A Song of Ice and Fire (George R R Martin).
I only just read chapter 74 and...
Yeah. I don't really have words.

On a side note, the random Japanese pony threw me for a loop. My suggestions regarding the language...
I might suggest changing

Anata ga shinimasu, yariman
to
shinde, yariman

Because firstly, people tend not to think in teineigo (polite form). Also because 'yariman' is something like 'slut', which doesn't really lend itself well to the politeness of  'anata' which is something like how you'd refer to a random person on the street, rather than somebody you're trying to kill and calling a slut.
'shinde, yariman' means something like - 'Die, whore'. The 'you' is implied, but if you want to add it for emphasis, try 'teme ga shinde, yariman'

Great chapter though. I need to go and process this...

Vixie
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:52 am

Vixie wrote:Well this was reminiscent of reading A Song of Ice and Fire (George R R Martin).
I only just read chapter 74 and...
Yeah. I don't really have words.

On a side note, the random Japanese pony threw me for a loop. My suggestions regarding the language...
I might suggest changing

Anata ga shinimasu, yariman
to
shinde, yariman

Because firstly, people tend not to think in teineigo (polite form). Also because 'yariman' is something like 'slut', which doesn't really lend itself well to the politeness of  'anata' which is something like how you'd refer to a random person on the street, rather than somebody you're trying to kill and calling a slut.
'shinde, yariman' means something like - 'Die, whore'. The 'you' is implied, but if you want to add it for emphasis, try 'teme ga shinde, yariman'

Great chapter though. I need to go and process this...
Ah, thank you. I went with "Shinde, yariman".
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:20 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Anyway, I think that I may have misinterpreted what I was replying to.  Were you thinking of having them all share an equatorial orbit or something?
That was my thought, yes.

O. Hinds wrote:Well, not exactly.  You still have to get the satellites into the orbits you want, and for some applications, the shifting ground coverage is advantageous.
Well, yeah, if you're doing mapping or something. I was only considering the Ponymedes (blugh) system in this case.

See, in FoNV, there's only one ARCHIMEDES II platform mentioned in the terminal logs at Helios One and it's available at any time, which implies that it's in geostationary orbit over* the Mojave. Ponymedes (hurk) is described differently, though, so it turns out there's no conflict with a non-rotating planet.

From what the FoE Wiki says, Puppy managed to unload the entire constellation's ammo supply into a Steel Ranger base during a battle against Applejack's Rangers. They're apparently a Thor-type kinetic strike system, not laser-based, because it took 7 minutes for the first shot to arrive, providing ample time for the Rangers to evacuate. Just like G.I. Joe.

*I know, I know, you can only be geostationary over the Equator. I'm assuming nobody at Obsidian thought hard enough about that to have the laser come in from a southerly angle.

O. Hinds wrote:Hm, interesting; I didn't notice any of that.
[looks at your name]
Oh, right.  :)
Eheheheh... Shy
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by nallar Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:50 pm

Apparently my automated conversion of PH broke a while ago (wordcount got too high!) and no-one messaged me :(

Should be updated and working again within the next few days when the next conversion runs. That or the converter will run out of RAM and crash my server because PH is too big now, and calibre's converter gobbles memory 0.o.

nallar
Foal

Brohoof! : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm

nallar wrote:Apparently my automated conversion of PH broke a while ago (wordcount got too high!) and no-one messaged me :(

Should be updated and working again within the next few days when the next conversion runs. That or the converter will run out of RAM and crash my server because PH is too big now, and calibre's converter gobbles memory 0.o.
Ah, hello! Sorry about that.

While you're here, the full text currently has one of the Russian translations added onto the end due to it being linked on the hub page. I've changed the link to just pasting in the address; will that work? (I assume that the full text hasn't updated to reflect the change yet anyway.)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by nallar Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:04 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
nallar wrote:Apparently my automated conversion of PH broke a while ago (wordcount got too high!) and no-one messaged me :(

Ah, hello!  Sorry about that.

While you're here, the full text currently has one of the Russian translations added onto the end due to it being linked on the hub page.  I've changed the link to just pasting in the address; will that work?  (I assume that the full text hasn't updated to reflect the change yet anyway.)
Haven't modified the code for the converter (other than changing some constants) since 2012. Hopefully that works, although it might just be searching for anything that looks like a google docs URL in the text. Making a short URL with https://goo.gl/ or something similar and linking to that will definitely prevent it from including the russian translation.

Converter really needs rewritten, it's a bit rubbish. Unfortunately it also works, and I'm scared to touch it.

nallar
Foal

Brohoof! : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:31 pm

nallar wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:

Ah, hello!  Sorry about that.

While you're here, the full text currently has one of the Russian translations added onto the end due to it being linked on the hub page.  I've changed the link to just pasting in the address; will that work?  (I assume that the full text hasn't updated to reflect the change yet anyway.)
Haven't modified the code for the converter (other than changing some constants) since 2012. Hopefully that works, although it might just be searching for anything that looks like a google docs URL in the text. Making a short URL with https://goo.gl/ or something similar and linking to that will definitely prevent it from including the russian translation.

Converter really needs rewritten, it's a bit rubbish. Unfortunately it also works, and I'm scared to touch it.
We will never be done with dealing with legacy code, because we just keep writing more. Applebloom
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:23 pm

nallar wrote:Making a short URL with https://goo.gl/ or something similar and linking to that will definitely prevent it from including the russian translation.
How do I do that?  Sorry.

By the way, I've just gone through and upvoted all of your posts. Your work has been tremendously useful.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next