Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+47
Zolaheuzis
geekladd
Technowolf
Meleagridis
Bootleg
iLateralGX
Frost
Caoimhe
Lex4art
Syroc
Scootayay
Train Dodger
DaWarWolf
JadedPony
Dekshuduph
Valikdu
Downloaded Skill
OneMoreDaySK
Kippershy
Aonee
Vergil
Karasu
Evilgidgit
Exodus Hero
Fellorn
CD
Derpmind
Luminous Lead
RoboRed
Borsuq
Heart of Blades
Scienza
Retl
WavemasterRyx
Harmony Ltd.
FeatherDust
Somber
Vexd
Shady
O. Hinds
pokeperson1000
SilentCarto
Dutcher
Rayndalf
Silver136
Vinylshadow
Icy Shake
51 posters

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by WavemasterRyx Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Somber wrote:Yeah.... In retrospect, Steel's guns should have been something like a 30mm round.

In other news... I'm really really sorry chapter 70 is taking so long.  August kind of turned into a pile of shit for me...
*hugs very gently* I'm sorry it's been such a bad month for you, sir, I really do wish things were better. Please just try to take care of yourself if you can, and take as much time as you need to write, all you can ever do is try the best you can.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:19 pm

JadedPony wrote:Yeah, I should have been more clear on that, it was late. I meant as long as there are raw resources available and he has power he could just make more ammo.
I'd suggested that, but the fact that the guns eject cartridge casings means they don't. If they built the projectile and propellant on demand, there would be no need for a casing -- you'd just build it all right there inside the gun, fire it, and build another one.

Last wrote:Does anyone remember how the silver bullets work? I think BJ saw one that was cut in half and it was made starmetal and moonstone with flux as a buffer between the two.

Was there a reason it had flux in it? Steelrain had starmetal armor and the only thing keeping his amulet (or whatever you wanna call it) from touching was a plastic cover. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the flux in the bullet that caused BJ to get tainted by them? If plastic is enough the flux seems like an unneeded danger. I'm probably being dumb and missing something here.
I think this is what you're missing:

Chapter 64 wrote:But the normally timid mare ran to where the wire linked me to the monster, the strange plastic medallion in her mouth.  As it drew near, the silver filament began to resonate, then glow.  The wire then broke with a bright flash accompanied by a crackle of magical radiation, and the screaming abomination let out a new scream... this one of pain.

Plastic prevents contact and protects the moonstone, but it doesn't prevent it from attacking starmetal, even at range. The flux insulates the two materials from reacting with each other even in such close proximity. And who knows? Maybe it has some critical role in firing, as well.

So what of Steel Rain? Well, I can't really say. His armor was merely lined with starmetal, so maybe the mass or purity of starmetal has an influence. Maybe that close to the Tokomare, the starmetal was resonating so strongly that the moonstone had to make direct contact to react. On the other hoof, BJ was able to hold a moonstone crystal and a starmetal bullet within inches of each other and they only made her pipbuck click faster until she tapped one with the other. So maybe it's the wire monster that was different -- perhaps being "alive" or "in use" makes starmetal particularly vulnerable to moonstone. In any case, the flux prevents the two from reacting at all, which is critical for building a piece of ammunition that could be stored and handled safely over the long term.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 pm

I'd add that the Starmetal armor was probably Starmetal-plated normal metal, as in only a thin layer of proper Starmetal, which means its effects would be much weaker.

@Somber: It's not your fault, it's August. August itself is holding you back from writing, and for that we much punish it! *Tears calender off wall*
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for the update, Somber! That's the way things are. Don't sweat it and carry on.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Personally, on the ammo front, I'm inclined to believe that Steel Rain and Deus just only carry 8-12 shells on their person at any one time, since IIRC, we never really see them fire more than five or six times in any one engagement. Since both are almost always accompanied by support, logistics between battles would probably be a relative nonissue.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:35 am

Makes me wonder why Unicorns don't just figure out a Gemini spell and multiply their ammo in their off time
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 am

Completely off topic because this is pretty much the only thread I post in on this forum, did any of you get this PM? 

Spam or just weird? wrote:From Mary Yaa Animah To JadedPony, Today at 4:57 am
How are you doing please i don't seem know anything about this page and matter i am seeing things that i don't understand please can you help me out and also can you be the first person to talk to 

I don't want to leave a new, confused person hanging but this seems fishy to me.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Maybe it has some critical role in firing, as well.

It is a layer of the physical manifestation of unexpressed probability. Focused in that situation of being in a gun, think about it like loading the 20 sided dice to roll +100. Every time you fire Folly, it's a critical hit. Every time.

Vinylshadow wrote:Makes me wonder why Unicorns don't just figure out a Gemini spell and multiply their ammo in their off time.

I would imagine that it would require a lot of energy to replicate even a simple object. You might be able to make one or two shells a day before you can't risk using your horn again and remember, not every unicorn can do every magic. Using the musical model of understanding the nature of the soul and magical essence that we all read in Project Horizons, we can best explain this as saying each unicorn's magic functions in a narrow magical range. They might be able to extend that natural range with a great deal of effort but only a limited span outside of their natural frequency range. For example, a pony with a talent for healing magic might be able to learn a spell to temporarily change the color of someone's coat, because these are both changes to organic matter, but they most likely will never learn to teleport since bending space time is something so far away from their natural frequency of magic that they just can't reach it. Their magical voice just can't hit those high notes no matter how much they practice. 

TLDR: There is a scarcity problem in the wasteland because there are just not enough unicorns who can do the spell, and the spell is too taxing to do frequently, without meta-magical assistance from arcano-technology.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:43 am

JadedPony wrote:Completely off topic because this is pretty much the only thread I post in on this forum, did any of you get this PM? 

Spam or just weird? wrote:From Mary Yaa Animah To JadedPony, Today at 4:57 am
How are you doing please i don't seem know anything about this page and matter i am seeing things that i don't understand please can you help me out and also can you be the first person to talk to 

I don't want to leave a new, confused person hanging but this seems fishy to me.
I've not gotten that.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 am

No strange PMs here either
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:34 pm

I don't post here in this thread all that often anymore but I did not receive any PM's either.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:01 pm

I didn't get anything.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Nope
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Ok, I elect someone else to contact them and help them. Embrace your destiny and reach out to someone who needs a friend! Someone who can handle horrible grammar more readily than I can.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:18 pm

They may have contacted you because you're a pretty new profile...
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Target the newbs!

They make for easy kills

PSYCH!
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:40 pm

True, but I'm a horrible person. They need a nice person. 

Remember that Star Trek episode: Mirror Mirror?
Kirk swaps places with an evil duplicate from an alternate universe. Spock had a line in that episode that really stuck with me, "It was far easier for you as civilised men to behave like barbarians, than it was for them to behave like civilised men." 

I'm a terrible person trying to live a good person's life. I have a rule: I try not to give advice to anyone, ever, about anything.

Well, except for writing. I give advice about that but it's pretty benign.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Well, this is why we have the whole Introductions section.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Random thought! All those zebras that have become cyberhoozits, they had to come from somewhere right? What if they were from that prison with the blasty gun doors? Yellow River? Was that the name of the place? I noticed the lack of piles and piles of bones. What if most of the prisoners got out?

What if they were "Liberated" from the prison by Amadi and brought to the hoof? They could have been placed in storage until needed. If so, there is a very, very good chance that one of those ponies in the zebra army is Zecora.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 pm

...I'm not really sure what you're talking about. As I recall, Yellow River had plenty of bones. And Zecora died on screen in the original. Sorry.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 pm

Oh, it's been a while since I read that part. Damn. But yeah, I was expecting mass graves and stuff at Yellow River. Nothing says patriotism like mass graves!
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:00 am

JadedPony wrote:Oh, it's been a while since I read that part. Damn. But yeah, I was expecting mass graves and stuff at Yellow River. Nothing says patriotism like mass graves!

What about summary execution of prisoners of war? Even Fallout 1 knew how patriotic that is!
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Re-reading Horizons

"Rivets's domain"

Shouldn't it be Rivets' domain?

Names that end in "S" don't need an apostrophe "s" when speaking like that...right?

Same for "Deus's"
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:07 pm

This is true, but so few people know the rule any more that few people enforce it. The common understanding of grammar is literally being destroyed by the lack of public education combined with the willingness of academia to just accept poor grammar and adopt it as true.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Incorrect; it's a style issue, not one of grammar, and the story has standardized on its inclusion, much the same as it has with the Oxford comma.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Somber and I were both taught that that apostrophe usage ('s for plural possessive words not ending in s and singular possessive words even if they end in s, ' for plural possessive words ending in s) was correct; Bronode was taught that it was incorrect. Both sides were surprised to learn of the other's existence, as I recall.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:27 pm

Singular possessive = 's  EX: Boss's
Plural possessive not ending in s = 's   Ex: Children's
Plural possessive ending in s = '   Ex: Ponies'

Also... really sorry for sucking.  Tired of sucking.  Wished I didn't suck so much.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 pm

Somber, you do not suck.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:36 am

Sorry.  I just keep looking at this chapter and not knowing why I can't progress past page 12.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:36 am

*hugs Somber very gently* I don't think you suck at all, sir.  Just try the best you can, even one word at a time is still progress.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next