Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
Exodus Hero
RoboRed
WavemasterRyx
The Holy Tuna
BrentOGara
_Sindri
Mr. Snrub
Overthepacific
Leoman
WovenTales
Admiral Stoic Rum
tylertoon2
Mister Nikel
Somber
Train Dodger
Snipehamster
Kippershy
AGurdel
Harmony Ltd.
SilentCarto
Retl
Derpmind
Stringtheory
Quotidian
Caoimhe
Valikdu
Vergil
CD
CamoBadger
OneMoreDaySK
O. Hinds
Sindri
FeatherDust
Icy Shake
Meleagridis
Ketchup
Moodyman90
jacky2734
StoneSlinger88
43 posters

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 30 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Sindri wrote:Twilight got wings for patching up a spell somepony else created, while Starswirl created books full of spells and got nothing but a classy beard. If alicorn status can just be handed out as a promotion or reward, why are there so few, what did Cadence do to qualify before she even reached adulthood, and why didn't Starswirl? Are Luna and Celestia something different from other alicorns, or do they all become immortal and gain cosmic power?
Maybe the "creating" in "creating new magic" was literal? As in, SStB was just discovering extant effects of poking the universe in certain ways, while Twilight actually changed the laws of physics? I don't know.

Does anyone else here tend to get really, really angry at Hasbro for doing their best to ruin possibly one of the best modern arguments for capitalism?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 30 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:25 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Does anyone else here tend to get really, really angry at Hasbro for doing their best to ruin possibly one of the best modern arguments for capitalism?
...I can honestly say that has never been the reason I have gotten mad at Hasbro.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:31 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Does anyone else here tend to get really, really angry at Hasbro for doing their best to ruin possibly one of the best modern arguments for capitalism?
What, that everyone except for the people who succeed are terrible and deserve to be exploited? Trollestia No, can't say that's ever happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Sindri wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Does anyone else here tend to get really, really angry at Hasbro for doing their best to ruin possibly one of the best modern arguments for capitalism?
...I can honestly say that has never been the reason I have gotten mad at Hasbro.

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
What, that everyone except for the people who succeed are terrible and deserve to be exploited? Trollestia No, can't say that's ever happened.
It's just... I know that there are benefits to capitalism, but modern American capitalist society seems to very often be arguing for its own abolition. FiM was and to a large extent still is an example of a really, really good product of capitalism, but meddling for the sake of shortsighted profit over quality is working to undermine that.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:30 pm

When a company makes something like FiM, call me a cynic, but I think it's all-too-often a happy accident. The execs sure as hell didn't expect it to be as good as it was when they started out, after all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Not so much: I think that there's a formula that has a pretty high success rate for making good derivative shows.
1. Find creators who love the source material.
2. Tell them to make the show they always wanted to.
3. STFU and get out of the way (except to tell them to follow standards and practices).
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Sometimes you have to trust the workers to polish the product as much as they can before they are forced to let it be sold. There are still companies out there that are very much concerned about quality, but sadly many are struggling to keep their quality high enough to outweigh the extreme affordability of cheap knockoffs.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Not so much: I think that there's a formula that has a pretty high success rate for making good derivative shows.
3. STFU and get out of the way (except to tell them to follow standards and practices).
And it worked great for as long as they followed that formula; the problems came when they forgot about step 3.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Sindri wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Not so much: I think that there's a formula that has a pretty high success rate for making good derivative shows.
And it worked great for as long as they followed that formula; the problems came when they forgot about step 3.

Does any company remember step 3? Ever? Electronic Arts build a reputation of going against this rule as hard as they could. And how did that work out for them? Multiple franchises ruined forever. Never change a winning horse.
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 pm

CD wrote:Does any company remember step 3? Ever? Electronic Arts build a reputation of going against this rule as hard as they could. And how did that work out for them? Multiple franchises ruined forever. Never change a winning horse.
Valve is great. Bethesda mostly has it. Really EA is the worst possible example, but there are a lot of companies out there actively not being derptarded cocks.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Warner Brothers is pretty good. Think the original DCAU run, which was over a decade of solidly good programming. Even more recently, Batman: The Brave and the Bold has been great, and I've tended to hear nothing but good things about the direct to DVD movies. The major interference, I understand, has been cancelling shows, which I think is a different animal altogether.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Sindri wrote:
CD wrote:Does any company remember step 3? Ever? Electronic Arts build a reputation of going against this rule as hard as they could. And how did that work out for them? Multiple franchises ruined forever. Never change a winning horse.
Valve is great. Bethesda mostly has it. Really EA is the worst possible example, but there are a lot of companies out there actively not being derptarded cocks.

I'm not a fan of Valve, so I wouldn't know. Bethesda... eh. Fallout 3 did deserve its share of criticism from purists despite the fun I had/have with it, but New Vegas was Obsidian's work. I never liked Oblivion as much as Morrowind, and Skyrim I just can't seem to get into. I suppose if I had to name a company that still holds my interest, it's Blizzard, but their online play policy and Mists of Pandaria have really turned me off from them to. Of course, I blame Activision for being the executive meddlers for that, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with Blizzard to. I'm probably overlooking a lot of those other, smaller companies here, but if I can't remember them as a positive example, they're not all that impressive to me anyway.
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Quotidian wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Like the gems Goldie pointed out in his paleontology lesson, the moon is supercharged with the souls of the pre-sentient creatures that once inhabited Equestria.

Wait. Holy shit. Assuming Project Horizons is what I think it is, Goldie planned on killing the Eater, a semi-sentient eldritch abomination, by throwing a moon made of dinosaur souls at it?

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard.
How about a wizard private eye riding a polka-powered zombie T-Rex to stop a body-swapping necromancer from ascending to godhood on Halloween?
This awesome:

O. Hinds wrote:Hm... Possibly, but that time they were trying to work with it, were they not? Extracting energy from it and its soul-eating. This would be collecting the energy released from its destruction.
It's not clear how the Tokomare works. While it's probably exploiting the same-frequency, different-amplitude trick that Horse demonstrated with the "hammer", it's somehow inducing the Eater to release energy. Maybe it's the evil-zombie-star version of throwing up? Point is, they started sucking energy out, and it responded by drawing energy (souls) in. That's how I interpret it, anyway. I would assume it would react the same way to injury, considering that a dissolving chip of starmetal gives off the same psychic scream that's normally associated with Enervation. I suspect that experimentation would reveal that any starmetal not directly consumed in the annihilation reaction emits an E-field as it dissolves.

O. Hinds wrote:Is it not explicitly said in the episode, though, that Twilight is a new type of alicorn (thus wasting this chance to explain Cadence)?
Nope. The only reference is Rarity's comment that, "You've become an alicorn! I didn't even know that was possible!"

Icy Shake wrote:just that nopony had ever created new magic before (what? need some explanation there)
Well, Twilight successfully completed a spell that directly affected Destiny itself. Something that was able, even in its incomplete form, to scramble the essence of who a pony is. In other words, it's not standard unicorn magic. It's something other, a whole new branch of magic whose surface was only scratched by Starswirl.

That said... Celestia may not have been entirely truthful in that, since she and Luna "discovered" the Elements of Harmony to use against Discord, and they seem to dwell in that same branch of magic. It would certainly explain why Starswirl's spell specifically latched onto the Elements and scrambled their bearers.

Sindri wrote:Twilight got wings for patching up a spell somepony else created, while Starswirl created books full of spells and got nothing but a classy beard. If alicorn status can just be handed out as a promotion or reward, why are there so few, what did Cadence do to qualify before she even reached adulthood, and why didn't Starswirl? Are Luna and Celestia something different from other alicorns, or do they all become immortal and gain cosmic power?
My headcanon: Twilight didn't get wings for fixing the spell. She got wings for achieving enlightenment in the process of fixing the spell. It's like getting a cutie mark -- Pinkie Pie didn't earn her cutie mark for throwing a nice party, the party was the external event that triggered her internal realization of what she wanted to do/was meant to do with her life.

swicked wrote:"Completed", Celestia just turned her into an alicorn then patted her on the back and said she did it herself with a clearly false statement like calling it the first "new" magic and that it's never been done before. Twilight's a syncophant, she won't question the explanation as long as an explanation is given at all.
*facehoof*
Celestia didn't turn Twilight into an alicorn. She showed up to explain what the hell Twilight was doing in the Astral Plane, then Twilight's soul popped out and reformatted her body. Celestia's horn never lit up once.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Exodus Hero wrote:Anyone have rough sketch or anything of the like for Hoofington? Thinking about making a small map for the city, nothing fancy but just something to wrap my brain around when I don't remember/recognize a place.
Mine is here, though I haven't updated it in some time. The locations of places that aren't marked in red are straight from the horse's mouth, though.

Dash clapping
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 pm

@SilentCarto:
Hm... Good points. On the annihilation thing, I wonder what the range of the EoS is without boosting... it might be enough to just abandon the area and have the power systems run by robots.
...Unnnnless Cognitum was corrupted and/or created directly, which is one of the things that I don't know. Hm. Okay, not enough information.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 pm

swicked wrote:Celestia's ancient, she may play by different magic rules, or at least know others besides horn, potion or amulet magic. That just proves the spell would have to at least be more complicated to cast than the typical focus-hard-enough-and-it-happens way.
I'm not going to assume she has nebulous powers that she has never demonstrated, mentioned, or suggested. She did, though, use her regular old everyday unicorn magic to call up Starswirl's journal for a visual aid.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:54 pm

O. Hinds wrote:@SilentCarto:
Hm... Good points. On the annihilation thing, I wonder what the range of the EoS is without boosting... it might be enough to just abandon the area and have the power systems run by robots.
...Unnnnless Cognitum was corrupted and/or created directly, which is one of the things that I don't know. Hm. Okay, not enough information.
The Tokomare activation probably gives us a good idea of its full capabilities. It was powerful enough to instantly liquify healthy pre-war ponies and to be "heard" clearly at Hoss's farm.

I don't think Cog is corrupted at all -- at least, not by the EoS. I think the Eater's influence on the Harbingers is directly via Dawn. After chatting with her about her reasons for leaving the Enclave, I'm strongly of the opinion that Dawn is the last survivor of a slaughtered starkaterri pony tribe (for lack of a more appropriate term).

swicked wrote:Let's just say the more ridiculous additions Hasbro inserts into the universe, the more ridiculous conclusions I'm willing to jump to to justify stuff that doesn't make sense no matter how you slice it :P
Let's be clear about this -- Hasbro had little to do with the decision to alicornicate Twilight. That was always Lauren Faust's plan for Twi's ultimate fate (along with succeeding(!) Celestia), and everything the writers have said indicates that they were not in any way dragged unwillingly into this. The only thing that didn't come from within Studio B was cramming the whole thing into one episode.

If I may theorize, this gives them a perfect excuse to go beyond Ponyville and do the adventure stories Lauren always wanted, but had been nixed in favor of 100% "slice of life" stories by Hasbro from the beginning. They're more or less run though all the slice of life stories they can tell, and now they have reason to explore the wider world.

-------

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/viewtopic.forum?t=968

Last edited by SilentCarto on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30