Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+37
hawkeye92
Computer1337
Jeremyrush
Teddy Rex
Valikdu
SilentCarto
Necr0maNceR
Moodyman90
CamoBadger
nebulous
OBS.GS.§S
Katarn
FeatherDust
Frost
Orm
RoboRed
Ametros
Icy Shake
tylertoon2
Downloaded Skill
Stringtheory
Kippershy
Admiral Stoic Rum
Ironmonger
Aonee
OneMoreDaySK
O. Hinds
Ketchup
Sindri
WavemasterRyx
IncoherentOrange
Somber
Cptadder
Meleagridis
Vergil
Caoimhe
41 posters

Page 4 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Filly science Glory is best science Filly!

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Katarn Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:58 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:
Even worse might be a union of Tzeentch, Sheogorath, Pinkie Pie, Discord, and Deadpool.

World will be DOOOMED!
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Science Woona doesn't give a fuck at times, Glory will always attempt to figure it out, except if around Blackjack.

Obviously Glory is better.

Chickensammich hath spoken.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Goddesseseses so OP
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Once you go alicorn, your story plot won't be forlorn.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Caoimhe wrote:Science Woona doesn't give a fuck at times, Glory will always attempt to figure it out, except if around Blackjack.

Obviously Glory is better.

Chickensammich hath spoken.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm

I just read some new posts from that Sane My Little Pony Fan tumblr blog. I really, really, want to strangle those people to death sometimes. How

Also I noticed I have 21 brohoofs-*slams hoof* BLACKJACK!

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Is that blog just about dumb drama or what? I don't get it.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:02 pm

If I remember correctly (which if you've payed attention to my posts is debatable as hell) it's about MLP fans being treated unfairly, the admins go as far as not to associate with the term 'Brony'. There are a few facts of science and sociology that point to their posts being illogical. They apparently don't know that shit happens and they need to cope with the circumstances.

Also, I've come up for a tank for the FoE universe. Think of a T-28 kit bashed with a KV-1 or IS-2.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Ironmonger wrote:

Also, I've come up for a tank for the FoE universe. Think of a T-28 kit bashed with a KV-1 or IS-2.
Okay so you mean a T-28 style multi-turret with KV-1 styling?

Okay T-28
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 300px-T28_parola_1

KV-1
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 300px-Kv1e

IS-2
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 35289
Which elements are you stealing from what?
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:29 pm

The large body of the T-28 (I originally planned to use the T-35 but I read it's cramped) but with a KV-1 turret, possibly an 85mm gun or the gun of the IS-2 if need be. Reason I came up with this (I admit it was rushed) is the T-28 and T-35 seem like they would be good for dealing with masses of infantry if they had the proper armor and were more reliable, but they lacked penetrating power. A large caliber with a short barrel is akin to pissing at someone. It's a raw idea and needs some work.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 pm

stringtheory wrote:who is best science filly, Glory or Science Woona?
You deserve to be banished to the moon just for asking that.
Buuut...
I have to vote for Science Woona, by an extremely boopable nose.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:39 pm

On the subject of Equestrian vehicles, did those ponies never stop and think that maybe some sort of APC would help them not die? Do they have those? I've not heard it mentioned. Would certainly help out in the Wasteland
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Gas aint easy to find when the entire world has been blown to fuckall. They've got trains though.

Maybe just flying around everywhere was easier for travel which explains all the skywagon husks.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:43 pm

They could be powered by spark generators or something. To conserve energy the engine could switch off automatically after idling for a certain amount of time via computers in the tank. Possible flaw being is unless the design is well-proven, the engine could not want to restart and you'd be screwed.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Most bitches probably don't know how them things work. If they did, the world would probably be a lot more stable.

Bottlecap meant to say that transportation will save the wasteland but she got her 't' words mixed up.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 pm

That, and likely the only ones to have them would be a group with training and knowledge such as the Applejack's Rangers and Remnants. Who has what would depend on the region partly.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm

i'd rather have a bipedal tank anyway.. a walking nuclear equipped death mobile

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Metal_Gear_Rex_by_TheZombieHunter
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't know much about weapons of war and stuff but I do know that walking tank things are probably the most inefficient wastes of money and technology anyone could come up with which is probably why science fiction has such a hardon for them, since they will never ever be useful in any situation.

Stuff with wheels will always be more maneuverable than something with two grounding points that ends up switching weight to one (and supporting EVERYTHING on it) by design.

Basically if it can fall over - it will, and that makes it pretty useless, but it looks cool though.

Scootaburger: destroyer of worlds and fun

Last edited by Caoimhe on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Walkers have the one advantage of being taller, which can be just as much a weakness. Otherwise, they've got nothing over conventional tanks.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Walking tanks are ineffective. Something like that Big Dog project has potential however. Scale plays a big part in things, and walkers are rather vulnerable to the square-cube law as Hinds said before.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Pretty much the only unequivocal advantage I can see walkers having is the (theoretical; it requires a very good control system) ability to operate on much rougher terrain than tracked or wheeled vehicles.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm

In my sequel, tanks tend to be more common in the Prancinnati area since the area is a plateau (plains and flat land are optimal for tank warfare) thus making armor more useful. Tanks are more common and so are robots, but the area lacks some of the dangers of other regions. Most of the time I'm hoping to bounce an idea off of multiple people which is why I talk about this stuff so much.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:I thought we were trying not to derail anymore, on account of it a quiet outcry against it?
Our topic changes so rapidly and widely naturally that it's hard to claim that anything is actually "off the rails" due to a lack of rails in the first place. I do find it a bit annoying when there are several dozen posts talking about nothing but "derailing" but when there's actual content the subject matter does not need to be within any specific realm.

On the subject of HiE I say: There is no basic concept so bad that a good writer cannot make it magnificent, nor any so good that a bad writer cannot fuck it up. However, HiE is something which a disproportionate number of bad writers attempt and which most good writers deliberately avoid, pushing the average quality below even my usual "90% of everything is shit".

IncoherentOrange wrote:Anyway, have 2898 unedited words. I don't want a full derail here, but just read it and give me little bits of feedback. The perspective might be kooky; I've only just started using it.
Writing quality definitely decent, logically works so far, and you've clearly put a lot of good thought into this. Can't see much of the characters yet, but no flags being thrown up on that point yet. I look forward to where it goes from here. Plus I love the intersection of hard sci-fi and pony.

stringtheory wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Any time I see a crappy, cliche HiE fic, I just think:

"Well, at least it's not the Conversion Bureau"
haven't read the Conversion Bureau but from what I've heard it's pure Wish Fulfillment
Also massively out of character for everyone involved, as far as I can tell from thirdhand knowledge. IIRC it's about Equestria spontaneously rising from the seas on earth for no good reason, and then Celestia concluding that all humans are evil and casting a spell to slowly exterminate anything that isn't a pony, then giving humans the "choice" of becoming ponies. Which somehow magically mindrapes them into not being utterly and irredeemably evil like all hominids obviously are. The individual stories within the setting are from hundreds of people jumping at the excuse to do a self-insert, wish-fulfillment, "I wish I was a pony" fic.

Scootaloo

Caoimhe wrote:I don't know much about weapons of war and stuff but I do know that walking tank things are probably the most inefficient wastes of money and technology anyone could come up with which is probably why science fiction has such a hardon for them, since they will never ever be useful in any situation.

Stuff with wheels will always be more maneuverable than something with two grounding points that ends up switching weight to one (and supporting EVERYTHING on it) by design.

Basically if it can fall over - it will, and that makes it pretty useless, but it looks cool though.

Scootaburger: destroyer of worlds and fun
There are a lot of uses for walkers, and a lot of ways to prevent stability issues. The simple fact is that wheels cannot deal with any terrain with vertical discontinuities higher than maybe half the radius of the wheel. Meanwhile you can do wonderful things with gyroscopes. It's still probably going to be more practical to do quadrapedal vehicles rather than bipedal. And when you do get flat terrain wheels or tracks would be much faster and more efficient. I think the optimal design would be something with articulated legs and a wheel/tracked drive on the undersides of the feet; take a look at Ghost in the Shell or the early episodes of [/i]Code Geass[/i] for examples. That'd give you all the efficiency of a (small) wheel where it can be used, the added maneuverability on flat terrain allowed by reorienting and repositioning your wheels freely on the move, and the climbing/jumping ability of legs when you need it.

That said a walker will never be as sturdy as a tank of the same size; the joints are very hard to protect and if you weigh it down too much you lose all your maneuverability advantages. I figure they'll fill a slot between (power armored) infantry and true tanks, splitting the difference between armor and flexibility. They should never be as big as the heavy tanks, and they'll never be as well-protected, but they're going to be a lot harder than anything you can put on an infantryman with almost as good of maneuverability as your boots on the ground and the speed of the best land vehicles.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Sindri wrote:
IncoherentOrange wrote:Anyway, have 2898 unedited words. I don't want a full derail here, but just read it and give me little bits of feedback. The perspective might be kooky; I've only just started using it.
Writing quality definitely decent, logically works so far, and you've clearly put a lot of good thought into this. Can't see much of the characters yet, but no flags being thrown up on that point yet. I look forward to where it goes from here. Plus I love the intersection of hard sci-fi and pony.

Decent? I can write decently? Cool. I have indeed put plenty of thought into it all, except maybe the characters, who I mostly just made up on the spot. I have some defining moments and personality outlines for them planned, however. I mean to keep it mostly hard sci-fi, but if you look into the major issue--that being FTL travel, which I will not and don't see a problem with not explaining--the universe actually ends up semi-hard rather than full hard. Doesn't really matter though, does it? Anyway, glad you don't see any problems with it so far and would like to see more. Thanks a lot.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Out of curiosity has anyone checked out my FoE fic yet? I haven't got much feedback on it other than my initial writing flaws and some "good jobs".

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Maybe you should try making a thread for it.

Edit: You've got Stringtheory on there, that's one.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Ironmonger wrote:Out of curiosity has anyone checked out my FoE fic yet? I haven't got much feedback on it other than my initial writing flaws and some "good jobs".
I know I gave my opinion, you should remember me...
I still think your group is overpowered and that from what you've been saying about your fic here, your 'wasteland' even if it is 10+ years after FO:E seems a little bit too okay/normal, really whole platoons of tanks?
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:I mean to keep it mostly hard sci-fi, but if you look into the major issue--that being FTL travel, which I will not and don't see a problem with not explaining--the universe actually ends up semi-hard rather than full hard. Doesn't really matter though, does it? Anyway, glad you don't see any problems with it so far and would like to see more. Thanks a lot.
It still counts as hard if you have a single big break from reality and you acknowledge it, and either come up with rules that it follows or just leave it in the background instead of making it a major feature. 4.5 of the Mohs Scale, at least until they directly encounter the magic.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Yeah, I know, just sayin; it's not true hard sci-fi. Close, though. Xenovirology is rarely ever addressed, yet is really quite a valid concern, 'innit?
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 32  Next