Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+37
hawkeye92
Computer1337
Jeremyrush
Teddy Rex
Valikdu
SilentCarto
Necr0maNceR
Moodyman90
CamoBadger
nebulous
OBS.GS.§S
Katarn
FeatherDust
Frost
Orm
RoboRed
Ametros
Icy Shake
tylertoon2
Downloaded Skill
Stringtheory
Kippershy
Admiral Stoic Rum
Ironmonger
Aonee
OneMoreDaySK
O. Hinds
Ketchup
Sindri
WavemasterRyx
IncoherentOrange
Somber
Cptadder
Meleagridis
Vergil
Caoimhe
41 posters

Page 3 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
stringtheory wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
Spoiler:
don't you mean Lord, sorry King of Derail?

You can be a king and an extraordinaire at the same time... right?
You can but you have to change your style of address, titles of Royalty always go last.

So it would be
His Highness (Acknowledgment of birth), the Thread Derailer Extraordinaire!(A list of all titles, awards and honors due) King Kipper (Formal title) the Ist (Place in lineage)

A Lord would list titles awards and honors first and not list place in lineage at all so thus
the Thread Derailer Extraordinare! Lord Kipper!

Going full out, I'd probably put it
His Royal Majesty, the Thread Derailer Extraordinaire, King Kipper I
since the kingly rank and above are normally "majesties" prefaced by "imperial", "royal", or "imperial and royal", depending on the specific titles held.

Of course, for my money, there's really no beating Roman the naming practices which gave us such gems as "The August Conqueror Caesar, Son of the Deified."

Where HiE is concerned, I think that much of it falls to the same problem as anything else: Sturgeon's Law. I will grant that where the motivation is wish fulfillment, the story's plot, characterization, and narrative cohesion can suffer. But I'm confident that the problem lies less with the subject matter and more with the writers; I've come to accept more and more over time that a skilled writer can make poor premises enjoyable--indeed, even good--if they put in the effort to build in the right tone and put thought into characterization and plot.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:35 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:If we're on the subject of HiE, does anyone want to see what I've got of the first chapter of my new story, which happens to be one? It's got hints of wish fulfillment, but not in the characters, but the setting. Because spaceships are cool.

When I wrote my stories, I tried to avoid wish fulfillment, ending up giving a character that happened to be a manifestation of myself a hard time; pretty much nothing he does is what he wants to do. But that alone doesn't make it good, not at all.
yeah, sure I'll read it

Wish Fulfillment in the setting , in my opinion, barely even counts as WF, just because it's generally not very obvious, but with characters...it was obvious that Griffin was a Escapist Character, and the reason why I kept reading for that long was because of that fact

well, you don't want EVERYTHING to go badly for your main character, otherwise that's no fun to read because we know he'll just fail or he's a Butt Monkey, which usually is okay if played for laughs
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Well, the character suffers more knocks than the rest because he's less capable. He's hardly the butt monkey, but the plot doesn't pat him on the back. It's an old story.

Anyway, have 2898 unedited words. I don't want a full derail here, but just read it and give me little bits of feedback. The perspective might be kooky; I've only just started using it.

Spoiler:

It's not finished yet.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:53 pm

To be honest... the aspect of human in equestria itself doesn't bother me too much.
That said though, I mean it on a very flat term (roll with me) in that I'm saying human / equestria itself isn't the bane of my world.

Now, like previously mentioned, what DOES give me issue is how often the HiE fics go rolling around with the mane6 for any reason.

"Gotta save the day with Twilight and her friends!" Cliché as fuck and boring.

Twilight being called by the princess to figure out (with her) what this strange new creature is and where it may have come from? Not half as bad, but still usually goes to shit with some save the day aspect.

Humans bringing war to Equestria... psh, again, not a fan of it.

A human getting into Equestria by means of time travel or some such would be interesting to me - say, be it because of The Doctor or something.
The TARDIS lands in some small village (NOT ponyville) in Equestria... friendship is formed between one of the humans and an O.C pony despite the fact that all the others are extremely cautious about this new thing arriving out of nowhere.

Because of this friendship....

You know what, I'm considering writing that now. Though, remove the doctor. I'll do it somehow else.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 pm

If someone is killed by a drill wouldn't that mean they were bored to death? Trollestia

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Somber wrote:Sorry everypony but due to my grotesque and manifest failures, chapter 51 will not be completed this weekend. This is completely me fault and I apologize deeply for it.

Sorry.

ಠ_ಠ

...Your punishment will be 100 bear hugs and 25 lashes with a wet bundle of parsley.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Downloaded Skill wrote:
stringtheory wrote:
ketchup504 wrote:
Kippershy wrote:Today I figured something out...
Somber is the biggest troll going... ever.

Why?

Project Horizons is secretly a HiE fic and he plans to turn Blackjack into a human so she can win against TEoS!

BELIEVE IT PEOPLE! SOMBER CONFIRMED BIGGEST TROLL.
No.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

*Obligatory*

RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Might have to use Google Chrome to view
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 3 Mutant_alicorns_of_the_goddess_by_brisineo-d5h7a5r

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Kippershy wrote:*snip*
an interesting example would be The Dread Chitin, but it kinda happens in reverse and it's RD and Twilight, going to a hostile alien world, through the ever so popular plot starter of Twilight messing up a spell (hey, it works), meeting a human who's also trapped there, but this human comes from some original setting of the author's where some humans have magic, and the place this human was using as a base is an abandoned Battletech base (how it got there is never explained), plus it's written by the guy who wrote A Foul Light Shines, the only 40k/MLP crossover that in my opinion actually works in my opinion
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Kippershy wrote:Today I figured something out...
Somber is the biggest troll going... ever.

Why?

Project Horizons is secretly a HiE fic and he plans to turn Blackjack into a human so she can win against TEoS!

BELIEVE IT PEOPLE! SOMBER CONFIRMED BIGGEST TROLL.
Now if only I knew what the hell any of that meant.
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name: Searchlight
Species: Ghoul Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Currently writing my own [new] fic, called Of the skies and stars.

Trying to reach 2k words so I can push for it to be published before I tuck in for the night.
Currently at 1.5k with the only pony reference being his name (James Mane)... oh, and I call the shuttle Celestia One.

It starts that James is a scientist / astronaut who is about to be testing the experimental hyper warp-drive (first of any of its kind) on his own.
His mission is to go to the nearest galaxy and back.

In that galaxy? Equestria.

James has no combat abilities and nor will he need any.
There's not going to be a sudden, instant romance.
There's not going to be ANY canon character involved or even referenced barring Celestia and Luna.

They most likely will play no role.

I'll see where it goes.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Cool, Kipper. Hope that works out for ya. I can lend ideas, if you so wish.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:37 pm

*Notices that -1 brohoof* Seems legit. Last time I make a pun for you guys. Applejacks

@Kipper good luck with your fic. Switching from first-person to third person can trip up your thought process in my experience.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Any time I see a crappy, cliche HiE fic, I just think:

"Well, at least it's not the Conversion Bureau"
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:45 pm

In case anyone is interested. It'll have its own thread once it [hopefully] gets accepted.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/55445/1/Of-the-skies-and-stars/To-the-stars...
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:49 pm

You and I have similar ideas. Sorta. Did I just so happen to be writing a story somewhat like that at the same time you were, or did you absorb some ideas from me?

What a neat coincidence. Space opera is best opera.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Ironmonger wrote:*Notices that -1 brohoof* Seems legit. Last time I make a pun for you guys. Applejacks
...I thought it was kinda funny...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:54 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:You and I have similar ideas. Sorta. Did I just so happen to be writing a story somewhat like that at the same time you were, or did you absorb some ideas from me?

What a neat coincidence. Space opera is best opera.

Completely coincidental! I swear!
I got the idea for it when I was writing this post about what kind of HiE fic I do / don't like.

Kippershy wrote:To be honest... the aspect of human in equestria itself doesn't bother me too much.
That
said though, I mean it on a very flat term (roll with me) in that I'm
saying human / equestria itself isn't the bane of my world.

Now,
like previously mentioned, what DOES give me issue is how often the HiE
fics go rolling around with the mane6 for any reason.

"Gotta save the day with Twilight and her friends!" Cliché as fuck and boring.

Twilight
being called by the princess to figure out (with her) what this strange
new creature is and where it may have come from? Not half as bad, but
still usually goes to shit with some save the day aspect.

Humans bringing war to Equestria... psh, again, not a fan of it.

A
human getting into Equestria by means of time travel or some such would
be interesting to me - say, be it because of The Doctor or something.
The
TARDIS lands in some small village (NOT ponyville) in Equestria...
friendship is formed between one of the humans and an O.C pony despite
the fact that all the others are extremely cautious about this new thing
arriving out of nowhere.

Because of this friendship....

You know what, I'm considering writing that now. Though, remove the doctor. I'll do it somehow else.

See, when I ramble about things, I give myself ideas.
It's the whole bit where I spoke about the TARDIS which gave me the idea to write what I did.

I'm like that. the smallest of things can turn to a major inspiration for me. Like this one guy keeps wanting me to write his characters into my story, I instantly manage to find way that they would work with my story without changing them too much, while still changing them enough not to be the unstoppable badass he likes to imagine them as.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Any time I see a crappy, cliche HiE fic, I just think:

"Well, at least it's not the Conversion Bureau"
haven't read the Conversion Bureau but from what I've heard it's pure Wish Fulfillment
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 pm

That's cool, I read it and liked it. If you've read my sample, you see that Twilight does indeed appear in my new story, which is to be entitled Eclipse.

...Though there will be no human-pony interaction until chapter three, after two major "WTF?" moments involving some nasty things happening to the xenobiology team. It will not have any adventure/save the world stuff in it, though. Negotiation and exploration, more like.

Yes, spiels can give you ideas. I wanted to, for a time, write a story about a black and red alicorn OC complete with a stupidly-cool name. Then I'd write him as a complete klutz that couldn't fly or use magic at all, is completely socially-inept, and cannot do anything of note.

...Unfortunately I'm not very good at comedy.

@TCB Yep, twisted, misanthropic wish fulfillment.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:05 pm

RoboRed wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:*Notices that -1 brohoof* Seems legit. Last time I make a pun for you guys. Applejacks
If I make someone laugh, even a little, then I've won. I'm like the chaos god of laughter.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
RoboRed wrote:
If I make someone laugh, even a little, then I've won. I'm like the chaos god of laughter.
Pinkie as a Chaos god...my mind just exploded...
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Ironmonger wrote:Might have to use Google Chrome to view
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 3 Mutant_alicorns_of_the_goddess_by_brisineo-d5h7a5r

Damn this image makes me anxious to see my own picture of three alicorns by the Ask Fizzy mod.
She already drew the picture of Crimson/Cherry kissing, though she's got other pictures to do before getting round to my second one, I assume.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm

stringtheory wrote:

We're done for. Game over man, game over!

Even worse might be a union of Tzeentch, Sheogorath, Pinkie Pie, Discord, and Deadpool.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:14 pm

stringtheory wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
RoboRed wrote:
Twilight as the chaos god of magic.

@Alicorn pic
Iron Fury:"I'd hit that. All of that." Roid Rage

Ironmonger:"You really are my ponysona-I MEAN SHUT UP OC." Twilight Twilight crazy

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Cptadder wrote:Simple, apply a very rough bit of this to the detonation of the megaspells and you can use average population numbers to determine where exactly this band of "survivability as a ghoul" vs "Burn to death" vs "Die of radiation" lies. Ghoulification seems to be very conditional. Most people who get a massive dose of rads die as do most who get long term slow term rad dosage. However magical radiation seems to affect a great number (I'd guess as high as twenty percent) with mutation before death and the right set of circumstances leads to ghoulification rather than death to radiation.

Adder, I just discovered that everything you post, especially sciencey stuff, is now approximately 20% more believable because your avatar means, in my brain, it's Lab Coat Glory saying it.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:32 pm

FeatherDust wrote:

Adder, I just discovered that everything you post, especially sciencey stuff, is now approximately 20% more believable because your avatar means, in my brain, it's Lab Coat Glory saying it.
It's just a matter of Science after all! Any foal can understand Science!
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Cptadder wrote:
FeatherDust wrote:

It's just a matter of Science after all! Any foal can understand Science!
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 3 PwmRY

who is best science filly, Glory or Science Woona?
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49 pm

You foul being...how dare you ask such a question!?

*crumples to ground, holding head and whimpering* I CAN'T DECIDE!!!
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Glory is best science pony.
Scotch:"But she's soooo boring!"
Toilet cutie mark.
Scotch:"..."
Thought so.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 32  Next