Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+53
ILM126
Cptadder
BlueSoldier
MiniGaunt
Anonymouss
Scootayay
Frost
Almar
Whiskey Rebellion
Blue Heron
Rayndalf
Shady
Epsilon
BLame
Vixie
Exodus Hero
FeatherDust
RoboRed
Triage
Technowolf
Vexd
Syroc
ARoundCorner
Borsuq
geekladd
Harmony Ltd.
MSCA
pokeperson1000
DaWarWolf
WavemasterRyx
Captain Stramash
Luminous Lead
Dekshuduph
decumos
CD
Evilgidgit
Vergil
Meleagridis
Derpmind
iLateralGX
Valikdu
Zolaheuzis
Somber
Scienza
Downloaded Skill
Vinylshadow
Silver136
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
tylertoon2
JadedPony
Caoimhe
SilentCarto
57 posters

Page 18 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:46 am

Epsilon wrote:Oh, I was just wondering what your CPU/RAM specs are. I've just noticed that Google seems to be bloating GDocs with little regard for 'optimization' (Kind of like Apple's newest OS upgrades! [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 Gs1zXc2), so if you're running a Mac from before 2010 your troubles could simply be stemming from the older hardware.

But you're right, this conversation isn't for here, so I apologize. In the meantime, I'd just recommend trying Safari.
Maybe. I think mine is post-2010. Thank you for the advice and information, at least.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 18 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:44 am

O. Hinds wrote:Hm.  I think I prefer "Wodehorse".  Sorry, SilentCarto.  Though part of it is that I don't know how "Roadhouse" is a horse pun; it might just be a lack of knowledge on my part.
Oh, it's not. It's a similar-sounding ponyish name, in the same vein as Bertie Wooster = Birdy Rooster.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:08 am

Ah, okay.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by pokeperson1000 Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:14 pm

Blackjack had to personally destroy the last part of happyhorn's system to escape last time. no way to plug herself back in, as far as i can remember.
pokeperson1000
pokeperson1000
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 0

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:09 am

Re-reading the original Fallout Equestria, I found an (extremely) minor discrepancy with chapter 34 of PH. Hardly worth mentioning really, but... ._.

Chapter 34 wrote:
The black unicorn had a nasty scar on her leg that bespoke a dire injury.

“It nearly was.  I almost lost a leg!” the black unicorn said as she showed off the gnarly scar ringing her foreleg.

At this point in the story, Velvet's leg would still have been in a cast (It was removed after Littlepip had gotten the bomb from Red Eye).
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:15 am

Ah, thanks for spotting that. Hm. I'm going to say that it's too minor to bother with. If Somber thinks otherwise, though, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to change it to have the cast on. Or, hey, maybe we could even explain it away by saying that Velvet put a cast back on so that she could have it removed in memories LittlePip wasn't going to pull out, or something.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:24 am

I say thee 'meh'.  Good catch tho.  It is pretty minor.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 am

Way old and minor but a missed op for a "LET ME SIGN YOUR CASSSSSSST" montage.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Heron Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:47 pm

EEEEP!!! A title has been posted. *excited*

Blue Heron
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Blue Heron wrote:EEEEP!!! A title has been posted. *excited*
A good title, too. I approve.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:31 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Blue Heron wrote:EEEEP!!! A title has been posted. *excited*
A good title, too. I approve.

It does remind me of Duke Nukem. Blackjack is going to the moon to kick plot and chew bubblegum. Because nopony kills our chicks and lives.

In b4 obvious "It'll be done when it's done" joke.
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Apogee: "the point in outer space where an object traveling around the Earth (such as a satellite or the moon) is farthest away from the Earth" and/or "the highest point of something" (According to M-W)

Oh, so we're having the climax of the story on the point farthest from earth, eh? Fitting.
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dekshuduph Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Meanwhile:

By the way, is this the first chapter title that's a pun?
Dekshuduph
Dekshuduph
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 2

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 pm

If by that you mean a title which can apply to the associated chapter by at least two different meanings, then I don't think so.
I'd say "Flank" is one, though that's because it inherits from the town itself.
"Monsters" probably qualifies in a way, since it applies to various things in the chapter in different ways (Deus, Blueblood, and likely Blackjack herself).
"Mercy," based on the chapter's quotation, is almost certainly played both straight and for irony.
"Descent" covers at least two bases.
"Lucidity."
"Royal Pains" works in both senses, and "Best Night Ever," while not a pun, inverts the connotation we get from the season one finale.
"Departures" covers the hijacking of Blackjack, the death of the Goddess, Lacunae's sacrifice, Twilight falling away to the Everafter, and the whole team leaving the Society and the ground generally. You could also make a case that along the way the Goddess abandoned her policy position as a result of the alicorns' memories at last bursting forth from Lacunae.
"Turbulence" is used in a way that much more accurately describes the shaky diplomatic situation between Blackjack et al., the Neighvarro-aligned Enclave, and Thunderhead than it does the air they were traveling through.
"Perceptions" hits both the fact that Blackjack is seeing (etc.) what others do and the fact that the chapter focuses on what various people and factions think about the world post-megaspell, and about what they should do going forward.
"Ruin" roughly covers the time between Blackjack's physical diminishment (and losing her cutie mark) and when she arrives at the ruin of an old civilization, the batponies.
"Morning" is both about what happens on a given morning and Blackjack's attempts to return primarily to Morning Glory.
"Ignition" is both literal and metaphorical in that there are the rockets launched and it was the beginning of the climax.

I'm sure I missed some.
Incidentally, I think it's interesting that chapters five and six are "Work" and "Play," but later on there are a bunch of chapters that put both halves of an expression in one chapter title, as with "Winning and Losing," "Mares and Stallions," and "Action, Reaction."
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:59 am

Is there a RSS feed or something that alerts us when a new Chapter comes out? Once I realized how the story is going to end (Or it should end anyway) I stopped checking obsessively and now I forgot all about it for almost a week. Is there like an email notification function or anything anywhere?
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 am

For the chapter after Apogee, or whenever Blackjack returns from the Moon (if she does) I'd probably go with "Today"
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:24 pm

An interesting musical theme. Well, the theme itself is widely known, but this piano version probably isn't. I think it could compete with "Leaving Earth".

For curiousity, it is used when
Freespace: Blue Planet spoiler:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:31 pm

I have a soft spot for strings and pianos
Probably because my mother played the Piano and I played the violin when I was younger...
Might have to get back into that

*looks at violin that is as long as my forearm*
Granted, being left-handed is a bit of a pain (Can't remember if holding the violin with your left and bow with your right is normal or not)
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Borsuq Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:18 am

Somber wrote:I've voted every election since I turned 18.  My dad said if you don't vote, you don't get the right to complain.  So yeah, today was a bad day...

I know it's been a while since that comment, but I just read it and I thought I just have to link this:

Borsuq
Borsuq
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 11

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Borsuq

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Careful, Borq

They might think you're me if you start linking Carlin; trust me, you don't want to be mistaken for me
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Borsuq Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 am

Any particular reason why? Or do I not even want to know?

Last edited by Borsuq on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Borsuq
Borsuq
Stallion/Mare

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:10 am

I love Carlin, but in this case I'd disagree with him.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:26 am

Eh, do whatever you want

Who's gonna stop you?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Borsuq Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Somber wrote:I love Carlin, but in this case I'd disagree with him.
Well, he is both right and wrong with that statement about who has the right to complain and who don't. It depends on the circumstances. For example, a few weeks ago, there was a second round of mayor's election for my home town, and I didn't vote. The choices were: voting for the same guy who run that office for last 12 years, and who had the support of the country's dominating party, who basically keep stealing from people, or a lady from a party that is very conservatist, and is basically enslaved to one guy who owns religious radio station and constantly interfers with politics, while he steals from old ladies who listen to the radio and he himself despises them (seen in a recent video where he pushed people away when they try to kiss his hand); and that latter party also keeps coming up with conspiracy theories regarding the plane accident in Smoleńsk, where our president and about 100 other people died, and try to prove it with clearly false evidences. Sorry for adding those bits, just wanted to explain more why the second party cannot be trusted. Anyways, as I said, I didn't go to vote, because at this point I no longer care which of them rules. It baffles me and makes me question the intelligence of my countrymen that those two parties have the most votes (which kinda proved the first thing Carlin mentions in the clip, about the public).

Now, during the first round of election, during which we also had to vote for city council and such, I went to vote, to support the party who's goals and ideas I agreed with the most. That party got about 10% of votes, so now I can complain about the majority of city council :)

Vinylshadow wrote:Eh, do whatever you want

Who's gonna stop you?

What I meant was to ask what did you mean by "trust me, you don't want to be mistaken for me"
Borsuq
Borsuq
Stallion/Mare

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Borsuq wrote:Well, he is both right and wrong with that statement about who has the right to complain and who don't.
Well, he's kind of twisting the spirit of the original sentiment. The comment "if you didn't vote, you have no right to complain" is aimed at people who complain about the current administration but do nothing to change it. As in, "If you thought X was such a bad guy, why didn't you vote against him?"

Carlin is, of course, taking the cynical tack that it doesn't matter who you vote for because they're all bastards anyway. Which is to some extent right, but ignores that this bastard might do things you like better than that bastard, or that bastard might be less of a bastard than this bastard.

The bastard.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:49 pm

unfortunately, politicians are all sunshine and rainbows during their campaign; it's afterwards when they turn into scumbags

and every election we fall for it again
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:unfortunately, politicians are all sunshine and rainbows during their campaign; it's afterwards when they turn into scumbags

I was going to say something about the phrase "fall for it" being a bit hyperbolic, but after the last two presidential elections... no, you're totally right.
Scootaloo
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:33 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Vinylshadow wrote:unfortunately, politicians are all sunshine and rainbows during their campaign; it's afterwards when they turn into scumbags

I was going to say something about the phrase "fall for it" being a bit hyperbolic, but after the last two presidential elections... no, you're totally right.
Scootaloo
I'm not sure you were watching the same elections I was.

Anyway, this weekend it really hit me just how well FoE Pinkie extrapolates from show Pinkie, in her virtues and abilities but especially her faults. And without even the benefit of "A Friend in Deed" to work from, too. Sure, those characteristics were already present, notably in "Griffon the Brush-Off" and "Green Isn't Your Color," for instance, but I thought that "A Friend in Deed" really solidified her character. Kkat did well with most of the Mane Six, but I don't really think as strikingly so with Twilight, Fluttershy, or Rainbow; those weren't as hard to get right, I think. (I will say, though, that Fluttershy in "Keep Calm and Flutter On" was certainly cut from the same mold as the one behind MARE.) Unfortunately, I don't remember FoE Rarity well enough independent of PH Rarity to give an impression.

Also, it seems that my impression of how well a pop-culture reference is integrated into the story may be somewhat strongly linked to how much I like that thing as I'm reading. But maybe that only goes one direction, and just because I like something, doesn't mean I'll care for the reference (see Stronghoof on my first read-through).

Chapter Sixty One Running Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty One Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty One Editing:
Other Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 am

@Icy Shake:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:And without even the benefit of "A Friend in Deed" to work from, too.
Ah, yes, I remember having such thoughts while watching the episode!  Pinkie Pie determined to make someone happy and friendly, even if they explicitly tell her that they don't want her help, in the process paying no attention to personal space or privacy?  Sounds a bit familiar, yeah.

Icy Shake wrote:Your... your property?!” I fumed, my eye narrowing as I glared at him

should have second space after quotation
Is "fumed" not an acceptable speaking verb?

Icy Shake wrote:I think the convention to spell it "Lulu"
I read "Looloo" and "Lulu" as different nicknames, the latter affectionate and the former disrespectful; I don't know for sure if that was what Somber intended, but I've been under the impression it was.

Icy Shake wrote:should the punctuation on either side of the static match?
Hm.  I tried that, but I think that it actually looks better mismatched here.

Icy Shake wrote:maybe an accent for "Ole"?
I think I'll just leave it as it is.  I don't know what accent I'd add, anyway.

Icy Shake wrote:what's with the line between these paragraphs? Should it be after the Steel Rain paragraph, the last of the chapter?
…I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Icy Shake wrote:I think "surrounding" would be better as "surrounded" to match the other two verbs
Well, that would render the sentence as written grammatically incorrect, as far as I can tell, but I can adapt it.

Icy Shake wrote:I'm not sure that these match up right, unless Goldenblood is getting his a few weeks after the bombs fall rather than when he's sentenced etc. (which I think is likely the case, if it took him a while to get to BPM and everything set up, and that's what she was talking about, but I want to be thorough). The Four Star raid was of course on the day the bombs fell, and I believe that the Goddess was made on the same weekend that Trixie had her interview, unless she'd gone to Maripony between the two times, which based on her note seems unlikely. If Golden's thing is a few weeks after the rest, never mind. And I guess Blackjack in the last one is working based off of the thing said about Goldenblood, since she probably doesn't know about the timing of the raid and the interview, and she would of course assume at this point that him getting his was the "execution" which was on the day of the bombs.
That makes sense.  Thanks!

Icy Shake wrote:And inside she found a doppelganger of herself, who had clearly been smoking quite a bit.
Hah!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:36 am

Icy Shake wrote:I'm not sure you were watching the same elections I was.

Anyway, this weekend it really hit me just how well FoE Pinkie extrapolates from show Pinkie, in her virtues and abilities but especially her faults. And without even the benefit of "A Friend in Deed" to work from, too. Sure, those characteristics were already present, notably in "Griffon the Brush-Off" and "Green Isn't Your Color," for instance, but I thought that "A Friend in Deed" really solidified her character. Kkat did well with most of the Mane Six, but I don't really think as strikingly so with Twilight, Fluttershy, or Rainbow; those weren't as hard to get right, I think. (I will say, though, that Fluttershy in "Keep Calm and Flutter On" was certainly cut from the same mold as the one behind MARE.) Unfortunately, I don't remember FoE Rarity well enough independent of PH Rarity to give an impression.
It's a bit hard to judge FoE Rainbow just because of how strikingly absent she was.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24 ... 31  Next