Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+53
ILM126
Cptadder
BlueSoldier
MiniGaunt
Anonymouss
Scootayay
Frost
Almar
Whiskey Rebellion
Blue Heron
Rayndalf
Shady
Epsilon
BLame
Vixie
Exodus Hero
FeatherDust
RoboRed
Triage
Technowolf
Vexd
Syroc
ARoundCorner
Borsuq
geekladd
Harmony Ltd.
MSCA
pokeperson1000
DaWarWolf
WavemasterRyx
Captain Stramash
Luminous Lead
Dekshuduph
decumos
CD
Evilgidgit
Vergil
Meleagridis
Derpmind
iLateralGX
Valikdu
Zolaheuzis
Somber
Scienza
Downloaded Skill
Vinylshadow
Silver136
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
tylertoon2
JadedPony
Caoimhe
SilentCarto
57 posters

Page 10 of 31 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by JadedPony Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:12 am

swicked wrote:
I'm just hoping I'm doing more good than harm.

You show a lack of confidence when you say things like that. It is time you learned a valuable lesson that all people, literary inclined or not must learn: Never show doubt in your work. You can have doubt, but never show it. Acting as if something may be wrong will give people reason to think there is something wrong then they will go out of their way to see your work in a negative light. It is a matter of human nature. A great deal of being successful in life is simply acting like you have everything totally handled and hoping no one notices that you don't.

Let me tell you a funny story...

Fake it till you make it:
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : -8

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:47 am

swicked wrote:I still find it kinda baffling that you guys managed to brush through chapters so quickly back in the day, and all over IRC.
I'm amazed too, honestly, and I was there. I'm not really sure why things slowed down.

JadedPony wrote:You show a lack of confidence when you say things like that.
This seems to be a common problem for the members of the writing team, really…
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:38 am

It's a common thing for everyone in every profession and it's not hard to see why. You are raised in a system where your actions as a child are more often scolded than congratulated.

Look at the public education system's English classes for example :
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm

I found college boring because they assigned me papers on topics that didn't interest me

Dropped out because it was a waste of money in the long run
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:I found college boring because they assigned me papers on topics that didn't interest me

Dropped out because it was a waste of money in the long run

It's not worth getting a 4 year degree for most people. That is for sure, but getting a 2 year degree at a community college is worth it. You'll be locked out of some jobs entirely if you don't have a degree in something but you can use some degrees for everything. Like Psychology you can apply towards any job, civics is a good degree for almost any job. Engineering, general computer science degrees are good for job hunting, English degrees will get you work because communication is a huge part of most jobs. If you can pick up multiple languages, get a linguistics focused degree. In some states you can not work directly for the local government in any capacity what-so-ever without a 2 year degree. Or at least that use to be the case.

A friend of mine and I helped set up a newly opened library computer network, laying the lines and setting up the system to ghost off of a pristine drive so if anything went horribly wrong they could just reset the whole machine and then once the library was about to open we went to apply for the jobs of being the network admins and the state said we couldn't have the job maintaining the system we had built for them because we were still in college and had not gotten our degree yet.

I was like, "Well, then who should we give the passwords to your network to because right now, we run the system we built." and the lady taking the job applications was like, "Wait, what?" I explained the situation to her and she tried to get us cleared but the state regs were clear. You couldn't even be a librarian without having some kind of degree. Government at work.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:22 pm

You're right that the fight with the legate needs more.  I don't have work friday, so I'll see what I can do with it.  The issue we had with Snipe was that he wanted me to make EXTENSIVE and INVASIVE changes to Horizons, and seemed to think that it was necessary for the story to remain viable.  What he wanted would have required a fundamental rewriting of Horizons.  It wasn't that he couldn't be honest.  It was that he didn't understand that I couldn't simply do what he wanted me to and accept it.  You were right about the party.  You're also right about the fight.  There are some things that I need pointed out to me or I'll be lazy and settle for 'good enough' and the fact is readers deserve better.

Now some of your mirth with certain events do give me pause, but I can deal with it.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:07 pm

That's what friends do - be honest, even if it hurts

Although phrasing it in such a way to lessen the kick might be a good idea
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:07 am

There is a kind of unspoken format for critique which is "I thought (Problem part) could have been better because (Why you think it's a problem.) You could consider (Offer alternatives).

I find that usually works out pretty well because you aren't telling the other person what to do and you are giving a reason for your opinion. Just saying, "This is bad." doesn't help. Part of the critique process is identifying why you perceive there to be a problem in the first place and considering the way others might see it. Especially in writing, you should always ask yourself, "How would the average person see this?" because as a writer, you have a living, breathing, world in your head but your readers don't have that point of reference so you may have to reemphasize points to keep them up to speed on events.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02 am

I'm glad of the editing choices PH has taken. More fics should be edited by this method, else you end up with Past Sins which I find unreadable due to the constant repetition of scene descriptions and character thoughts over and over. Seriously, that story could be 50% smaller with editing.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:08 am

The team work really has paid off. FOE:PH is my pony crack.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 am

JadedPony wrote:The team work really has paid off. FOE:PH is my pony crack.
Can I get this quote bronzed and hung above my fireplace?
tylertoon2
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 am

Have there been any ridiculously hard decisions to make during story direction or character actions?
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:14 am

JadedPony wrote:The team work really has paid off. FOE:PH is my pony crack.
I gotta redownload the story on my new phone man...gotta get my fix man, where's my fix; WHERES MY FIX?!?! Twilight crazy
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am

*casually snorts chapter 13*

amidoinitrite?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Speaking of pony crack, what was your favorite high from FOE:PH? I think my favorite chapter was Flank and the mysterious bartender. She was freaking awesome. So very, very close to redemption... yet so far.

Also Charity the Cap-monger is perhaps one of the best characters in the FOE universe. I absolutely loved her and Velvet together. That filly is a force of nature.

I still have to avoid that episode of MLP where they sing the song that broke my heart in Fluttershy's clinic. RUINED! That chapter just WRECKED me for days. It was such a good set up and the action was well thought out then in the end the "Bad guys" were... just... and she had to... It wasn't fair damn it!  

Also.. :
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by decumos Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Yeah, that scene in Medical Center left me devastated as well.
My favourite chapter is the one with the confrontation with Sanguine at the Chapel and his speech about actions he had to commit to get to Blackjack.
Also, I just LOVED pretty much all the memory orb scenes with Goldenblood. He is my favourite character in PH because of that.
decumos
decumos
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 21

Character List:
Name: Lunar Lefty
Sex: Stallion
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:07 pm

My biggest PH high? God, there are so many...I'd have to say the Big Mac assassination though. Psalm and Goldenblood are my two favorite characters so having them both in such a brutal situation was both awesome and awful.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:16 pm

Psalm might end up hurting me if we ever met. I can't stand depressing, sad people. I will bother them politely until they cheer up. You'd be surprised how effective just sitting down next to someone and not saying anything is. Just sharing space makes a lot of otherwise withdrawn people open up.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm that withdrawn person, and trust me it doesn't work with everybody. Someone like me (and probably Psalm) stays away from people out of fear of being judged or accidentally doing something they'll regret (again). It mostly just bothers me when people do that to me.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Flank was a highlight for me especially in the description of whatever drug BJ was on when approaching the town. It didn't just instantly effect her but gradually made itself known. Somber's dialogue perfectly showed its effect. It didn't just suddenly make her feel superequine but graduated into it. That shit was spot on.

E: Oh, also saving glory in... what was it, the Filly Flashers' place and then at that Enclave place? Those were tense, but I am a sucker for lesbo romance and 1 on 1 character stuff since you can get a lot of depth out of two mains together.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Silver136 wrote:I'm that withdrawn person, and trust me it doesn't work with everybody. Someone like me (and probably Psalm) stays away from people out of fear of being judged or accidentally doing something they'll regret (again). It mostly just bothers me when people do that to me.

Fear is the mind killer. Watch the episode with the ponytones. watch how Fluttershy comes to realize her fears were not as bad as she thought. This is an important lesson. If we let fear control us then we will accomplish much less in life and be much less happy.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cehkm_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-episode-79-filli-vanilli_fun

My family is a bunch of people who are paranoid about everything. They worry constantly. I had to willfully break myself of the bad habit of living in fear once I moved out of my family home. It's hard to let go of, but you can do it, one step at a time. Overcome your fears; be awesome! You can do it!
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:27 pm

Silver136 wrote:I'm that withdrawn person, and trust me it doesn't work with everybody. Someone like me (and probably Psalm) stays away from people out of fear of being judged or accidentally doing something they'll regret (again). It mostly just bothers me when people do that to me.
Seriously, this. Also, for a lot of introverts, having a strange person just "in their space" for unknown reasons is uncomfortable and unwelcome.

Caoimhe wrote:Flank was a highlight for me especially in the description of whatever drug BJ was on when approaching the town. It didn't just instantly effect her but gradually made itself known. Somber's dialogue perfectly showed its effect. It didn't just suddenly make her feel superequine but graduated into it. That shit was spot on.

E: Oh, also saving glory in... what was it, the Filly Flashers' place and then at that Enclave place? Those were tense, but I am a sucker for lesbo romance and 1 on 1 character stuff since you can get a lot of depth out of two mains together.
Flash Industries. That was pretty good, but I kind of wish it hadn't deflated as quickly as it did. One of those cases, I think, where it worked better reading as it was released than going directly from one chapter to the next.

One of my favorite stretches is the lead-up to Star Point, through to a bit after P-21's suicide attempt. I guess the whole issue of what is and isn't enough to keep the characters going resonates with me.

JadedPony wrote:

Fear is the mind killer. Watch the episode with the ponytones. watch how Fluttershy comes to realize her fears were not as bad as she thought. This is an important lesson. If we let fear control us then we will accomplish much less in life and be much less happy.
Yeah, and everyone else learned that it's not their job to fix her, and that any expansion she wants to do can and should proceed at the pace she wants.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:39 am

If we're talking high in drug sense, then Flank (for obvious reasons that have been said already)

If we're talking highlights, Lucidity all the way.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:14 pm

JadedPony wrote:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cehkm_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-episode-79-filli-vanilli_fun

My family is a bunch of people who are paranoid about everything. They worry constantly. I had to willfully break myself of the bad habit of living in fear once I moved out of my family home. It's hard to let go of, but you can do it, one step at a time. Overcome your fears; be awesome! You can do it!
To clarify, it's not so much being judged as being feared. I fear making mistakes similar to those I made in Elementary and Middle school, both of which resulted in people being terrified of and avoiding me. So as to not repeat those mistakes I became a huge introvert. I was already a shy person, so it wasn't that huge a change.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Oh, yeah, I'm an introvert as well, so I know how infuriating it is but some times you need someone to push you out of your comfort zone. Someone did it for me and it really helped. It's not for everyone, but for me it's better than wallowing.

Randomly I learned something hilarious today!

Winter_Wrap_Up:
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:24 pm

So all Horizons had to be was just a really big snow machine? Amazin'!
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:33 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 10 Somber11
71! We are in the endgame now, everyone, and the end of this chapter, well… Somber says that it’s a herald of things to come. Brace yourselves.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:11 am

It's out? Cool. I'll check it out in the morning. I just finished catching up on Dr. Who. The last episode was AWESOME. Sleep time now!
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:28 am

CH71 spoilers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:34 am

swicked wrote:
Last wrote:
CH71 spoilers:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 31 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 31  Next