Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+50
The Tainted One
Twilightrose42
The Truth
Boing
Luminous Lead
CD
Katarn
OneMoreDaySK
TyrannisUmbra
MSCA
Tytan
Technowolf
Valikdu
Admiral Stoic Rum
Dekshuduph
Meleagridis
ChaosDX1
chinman
Borsuq
skibadaa
SparkyTheDiamondDog
Rayndalf
FoolNeim
Retl
Evilgidgit
Shady
Harmony Ltd.
Scienza
CrispyBit
Aonee
Train Dodger
Stringtheory
TheWanderingZebra
StoneSlinger88
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Silver136
WavemasterRyx
Downloaded Skill
Somber
Derpmind
Exodus Hero
Caoimhe
SilentCarto
Moodyman90
O. Hinds
RoboRed
Vergil
CamoBadger
Icy Shake
54 posters

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by TyrannisUmbra Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 am

Icy Shake wrote:Sure thing! It's in the "Other Editing" section. I'll say, though, that even pulling out the cases where the assault carbine shows up, it's hard to track what's going on with them. There were at least two or three Blackjack used at different points, some of which may have been good against armor, one which seemed weak, and at least one she used as a semi-automatic. It's not really clear where or when they were obtained, in all cases. In at least one case, she breaks the gun and in a later chapter has another assault carbine without, I believe, ever having mentioned getting another in the interim. For some of the cases, I just kind of assume either she or someone else in the party picked one up and added it to the inventory without it getting called out in narration.
Not having played New Vegas, I can't speak to how accurate this suggestion might be, but could the difference in performance against armor be due to using different ammunition in the same carbine, such as 5.56mm hollow point instead of 5.56mm armor piercing?
Also, "markspony carbines" have been used by the Brood of Coyotyl, so the ponification of "marksman carbine" is already available.

Well, in the case of Assault Carbine being what it was being named, that uses 5mm rounds, which are VERY armor piercing (in game terms, Standard rounds penetrate 10 DT, AP penetrates 25 DT, and hollow points only multiply DT by 2 instead of 3). Additionally, the Assault Carbine is an automatic weapon (not semi-auto, actual auto), and as you said she's used it as if it was a semiauto (Which the Marksman Carbine is).

As for after they're renamed, I'm not sure how viable AP rounds are with the Marksman Carbine... Generally it feels more like an antipersonnel weapon, and while it's accurate and fast, I've generally found it to be a low-powered and only marginally effective weapon. In all likelihood, if there are two different versions good or bad against armor, it's likely she's come into possession of both weapons.

Ch64 stuff:

Last edited by TyrannisUmbra on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
TyrannisUmbra
TyrannisUmbra
Foal

Brohoof! : 0

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Exodus Hero Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:46 am

Dem cliff hangers though.
Exodus Hero
Exodus Hero
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name: Penny Dust
Sex: Male
Species: Filthy Mud Pony

http://exodushero.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Borsuq Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:11 am

Thoughts on the new chapter:

8/10
Borsuq
Borsuq
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 11

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Borsuq

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:55 am

Read new chapter. Dat ending..all of my wats.

Last edited by Katarn on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:54 am

O. Hinds wrote:
And 64 is out!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S HAPPENING
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:16 am

TyrannisUmbra wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Sure thing! It's in the "Other Editing" section. I'll say, though, that even pulling out the cases where the assault carbine shows up, it's hard to track what's going on with them. There were at least two or three Blackjack used at different points, some of which may have been good against armor, one which seemed weak, and at least one she used as a semi-automatic. It's not really clear where or when they were obtained, in all cases. In at least one case, she breaks the gun and in a later chapter has another assault carbine without, I believe, ever having mentioned getting another in the interim. For some of the cases, I just kind of assume either she or someone else in the party picked one up and added it to the inventory without it getting called out in narration.
Not having played New Vegas, I can't speak to how accurate this suggestion might be, but could the difference in performance against armor be due to using different ammunition in the same carbine, such as 5.56mm hollow point instead of 5.56mm armor piercing?
Also, "markspony carbines" have been used by the Brood of Coyotyl, so the ponification of "marksman carbine" is already available.

Well, in the case of Assault Carbine being what it was being named, that uses 5mm rounds, which are VERY armor piercing (in game terms, Standard rounds penetrate 10 DT, AP penetrates 25 DT, and hollow points only multiply DT by 2 instead of 3). Additionally, the Assault Carbine is an automatic weapon (not semi-auto, actual auto), and as you said she's used it as if it was a semiauto (Which the Marksman Carbine is).

As for after they're renamed, I'm not sure how viable AP rounds are with the Marksman Carbine... Generally it feels more like an antipersonnel weapon, and while it's accurate and fast, I've generally found it to be a low-powered and only marginally effective weapon. In all likelihood, if there are two different versions good or bad against armor, it's likely she's come into possession of both weapons.
One of the reasons I like PH so much is that it combines a bit of realism in its story. So as for the Marksman Carbine and Assault carbine, the only difference rreally is fire rate. The MC fires a 5.56 round, which is almost identical to a 5mm. So with the bits of realism PH uses, I can't really see these weapons behaving that much differently. And don't forget, many weapons come with selective fire rates. As for power, from a game perspective the MC was more powerful. Being a marksman weapon, its designed for accuracy and damage. Also, AP 5.56 rounds are very effective, especially fired from a marksman weapon.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 am

THAT ENDING OH MY WHAT YES I AM COMPLETELY OKAY WITH THIS
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:49 am

Borsuq wrote:The energy consumption for flying brushes me off as a serious design flew. Is there a reason behind it? Other than having Blackjack grounded that is.
My assumption is that it's because Blackjack doesn't have pegasus magic, so the augments have to do all the work.

I'm also glad to hear that the reactions to the ending that aren't just "wat" are positive; Somber was worried about how it would be received.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:45 pm

SilentCarto wrote:It's like the old saw about how to catch a raccoon from Where the Red Fern Grows. Supposedly, you drill a hole in a log just big enough for a quarter, then drive nails in around it. A raccoon will see the shiny quarter and grab it, but now he can't get his paw past the nails. The raccoon could let go any time and walk away, but he will remain trapped there until the hunter arrives because he refuses to let go of the quarter. (I call BS on this, but anyway.)
I call shenanigans as well. Anyway, that story is, I believe, based on an even older Arabian story about catching monkeys alive using a narrow-necked jar full of nuts.

Cog picked up on the transmission from Steel Rain's Pipbuck, which means it was emitting an unusual data feed rather than some always-on broadcast of everything the wearer experiences.
This may help explain why the Perceptitron is a viable system to use within the core while comms are not. Communications transmissions use well-known frequencies and encryptions, and are therefore eminently traceable. The Perceptitron uses unusual backdoor systems and probably emits only a single pulse transmission to tell the target pipbuck to begin the feed, and is a passive listener after that.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:25 pm

The cliffhanger! It's too perfect, I want to see where this goes! Now I must wait at least a month to see the epic continuation. *shakes fist at the heavens* Damn you, Somber!
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by MSCA Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Couple typos:

I really enjoyed the new chapter!  Dat ending.
MSCA
MSCA
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Dat ending indeed. I thought that
spoiler:
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:30 pm

MSCA wrote:
Couple typos:

I really enjoyed the new chapter!  Dat ending.
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Just finished reading the newest chapter.
"Well... that's one mystery solved, and plenty of cries of "I called it" to be heard. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

That aside, rather good chapter in my opinion. Even the "golden" parts were dark, foreboding, reeking of dread. And yes, we're nearing the end game now.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by chinman Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Yet another awesome chapter!  Its great to see things are moving right along again now that we're done recapping on all of the different characters and places.

Really there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, except that...
SPOILERS:
chinman
chinman
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Train Dodger Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Damn if the Core isn't like... hell's flaming bunghole or something. I keep thinking, gee, I don't want to just read about this. I want to play this. In a Fallout game. On the hardest difficulty possible. With mods that add even more difficulty. 

Crazy 

Did a quick pass to see what issues I could find:

Chapter 64 Proofing:
Train Dodger
Train Dodger
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Train Dodger wrote:Damn if the Core isn't like... hell's flaming bunghole or something. I keep thinking, gee, I don't want to just read about this. I want to play this. In a Fallout game. On the hardest difficulty possible. With mods that add even more difficulty. 

Crazy 

Did a quick pass to see what issues I could find:

Chapter 64 Proofing:
Ah, thank you. I can't get in to edit at the moment (you'd think that people with editing permission would have reserved slots, but nooooooo...), but I've put these on a list.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 pm

And right after I say that, a slot opens.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Train Dodger wrote:Prose: This should probably be either "swept my gaze across the glowing city" or "faced the glowing city", or something along those lines. "Faced out at" seems pretty awkward.
Eh… I'm going to disagree here, sorry.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:52 am

A Lore Error in Ch 64:
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Exodus Hero Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:22 am

I had a problem with the ending that might well be explained later but I'm going to bring it up now in the hopes that someone can explain it to me without myself having to wait a month.

Spoiler:
Exodus Hero
Exodus Hero
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name: Penny Dust
Species: Filthy Mud Pony

http://exodushero.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:23 am

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:
A Lore Error in Ch 64:
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:47 am

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:
A Lore Error in Ch 64:
Strictly speaking, Ministry of Magic was used as a sort of nickname, and Blackjack had heard it a couple times, so she could think it, even if it's not the most likely.

Chapter Sixty Four Running Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty Four Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty Four Editing:

I don't have too much more to say about the chapter, except for thank you, you did a good job on it, and I hope that you find a permanent teaching job soon.
So I'll just leave with this:
Spoiler:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:53 am

I honestly think Ministry of Magic would be sloppy if left in there Icy baby.

second, that ending was unexpected.
Spoiler:
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:09 am

O. Hinds wrote:
I'm also glad to hear that the reactions to the ending that aren't just "wat" are positive; Somber was worried about how it would be received.
It was certainly surprising, but very welcome. If anything, the specific whereabouts of one of the factors in the endings after said factor's last interaction with Blackjack had been something that had been bothering me due to the factor's distinct lack of reappearance.

It was wat, but a very enthusiastic and extremely excited wat.

Icy Shake wrote:
Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:
A Lore Error in Ch 64:
Strictly speaking, Ministry of Magic was used as a sort of nickname, and Blackjack had heard it a couple times, so she could think it, even if it's not the most likely.
Or a Harry Potter crossover is impending.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Icy Shake wrote:
Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:
A Lore Error in Ch 64:
Aye, I thought of that, but I decided that it would be better to change it anyway.

Icy Shake wrote:
Chapter Sixty Four Running Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty Four Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty Four Editing:
Ah, thank you.

Icy Shake wrote:I don't think "Flier's" should have an apostrope, but I'm not entirely sure
Neither PH nor FoE have used it before, and the transcript on the wiki is inconsistent… Eh, sure, I'll remove the apostrophe.

Icy Shake wrote:"Well, you see, the expected distance travelled by a partical undergoing Brownian motion only scales with the square root of time, and the mean free path here is pretty short . . . " /Glory
:)

Icy Shake wrote:Even on pure broadcast? That's worrying. Granted, it could also be the case that the broadcaster is locked as a transceiver.
My personal hypothesis is that the effect requires a feedback loop.

Icy Shake wrote:Though I didn't expect that contact was unnecessary.
Don't worry; I'd forgotten that too. We see in Goldenblood's house, though, that moonstone and starmetal do react over air gaps, just not as strongly as they do with direct contact.

Icy Shake wrote:Well, ideally that would apply to everything, now, wouldn't it?
Well, sure, but they couldn't really show Horse an empty warehouse and claim "Here's the OIA! We've done absolutely nothing!".

Icy Shake wrote:Let's be honest, it's not hard to see that happening. Of course, some might really have been the best pony for the job; imagine if Applebloom were one.
I've actually written part of a little recursive-fanfic-scene-thing with Apple Pancake on that idea (don't know when or if I'll finish it, though).
Note, however, that Onyx doesn't speak of removing incompetent Apples; she speaks of removing Apples in critical positions. The difference is subtle but, I believe, important.

Icy Shake wrote:I don't have too much more to say about the chapter, except for thank you, you did a good job on it, and I hope that you find a permanent teaching job soon.
So I'll just leave with this:
Spoiler:
:D
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Retl Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 pm

I had so much silly fun this chapter. <3 Had a good time most of the time!

I might go into more detail later. But really, I'm just pleased as punch with the current team and their antics.
Retl
Retl
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Toy Bloon
Species: Earth Pony

http://Retl.info

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 am

Well... I was feeling okay enough to set out a block of time to seal myself away and read quietly finally.

It was a really great chapter, Somber, with some definitely intense parts.  I wanted to just cry uncontrollably when it was over, but my eyes were only a little teared up...  I'm not sure if it's because of everything that happened in the chapter though, or because things just keep going badly for you, sir...

I really hope you'll be able to get a job soon... and even more that you'll be able to make it to Bronycon...  (I wish I could go there to meet you, but even if I had the money, travel and I don't get along...)

Initial thoughts:

I'll try my best to get the full commentary done as soon as I can, as always.  It might take a while, but please rest assured that I think you did a good job, sir, and I have every confidence that the next chapter will be good too.

*hugs Somber very gently*
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Train Dodger Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 am

Icy Shake wrote:
The Million-Dollar Question:

I think we already know, to some extent:

Chapter 61:
Train Dodger
Train Dodger
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 am

Train Dodger wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:
The Million-Dollar Question:

I think we already know, to some extent:

Chapter 61:

But does that mean...:
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next