Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+56
Give_me_muny
InLucidReverie
Train Dodger
Luminous Lead
Silver136
DaWarWolf
SparkyTheDiamondDog
Kippershy
Tytan
Captain Stramash
Adalbertus
TheWanderingZebra
Harmony Ltd.
Rayndalf
Ketchup
thatguyvex
Exodus Hero
Meleagridis
FoolNeim
LordsServant
CD
Aonee
Downloaded Skill
Technowolf
chinman
StoneSlinger88
Vergil
Mazoku
CamoBadger
Mr. Snrub
ISuckAtNaming
Mister Nikel
Katarn
WavemasterRyx
Valikdu
OneMoreDaySK
tylertoon2
Penby
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Stringtheory
Admiral Stoic Rum
RoboRed
Somber
Frost
ARoundCorner
Derpmind
Caoimhe
TalixZero
Moodyman90
SilentCarto
Icy Shake
FeatherDust
cb5
Scienza
60 posters

Page 16 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 am

Evilgidgit wrote:
Spoiler:
Remember, Snake, this is a sneaking mission. The use of stealth is required.

Derpmind wrote:"I don’t know if it was shot at us or if it was simply my rotten luck," It was probably just bad luck. Blackjack was close to the Raptors, and it was aimed at them. If Lighthooves knew Blackjack was on the turnip wagon and wanted (and was able) to use the Tower's weaponry on her, then Blackjack would be dead.
Nah, the missile was most definitely a taunt. He fired that one so the General would move into intercept range and get inside the kill box for the surface batteries.

Derpmind wrote:“Execute orders in sixty seconds.  Mark.” Shot in the dark: Has Somber or anyone on the editing team read some of The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell? It's a sci-fi series where the main protagonist is a commander of a space fleet, and there's lots of fleet commanding that's really similar to this scene. Of course, the author is a retired US Navy officer so it more likely just Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, where Kevin Bacon is actual real world fleet commanding.
I salute your taste in sci-fi space battle fiction.

Derpmind wrote:Rampage isn't just some awesome immortal smash pony. Rampage is so many contradictions I'd say she has multiple souls even if it wasn't for the Pheonix Talisman and the multiple personalities. And then the scene where she does doctoring is just perfect after that.

I like Doctor Whatshisname.
That reminds me. Somber and/or Edit Staff, there was a little issue with that scene -- it seemed like Doc Ock said, "I'm not that kind of doctor," then immediately turned around and started medical doctoring. There may have been a missing "but" there, like, "I'm not that kind of doctor. But, fortunately, I did take a paramedic course after Shattered Hoof..." or something like that.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Scienza Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 am

Icy Shake wrote:@ SilentCarto: I caught that, too, but was unsure of the second letter of the second and fifth ones. Also, I can't believe I missed the new catchphrase! It fits so much better! (Even if it wouldn't apply as often.) (Also, I can't be the only one who thinks it's ironic how high the poker:blackjack ratio is, given, well, you know.)
Shipping, perhaps?

Ch. 62A wrote:"White-armored pegasi stormed into the bridge; the soldiers on guard sprang to action, but they were unarmed. "
And then Cognitum boarded the ship and started wheezing everywhere.

"Commander, tear this ship apart until you've found EC-1101, and bring me the passengers. I want them alive!"
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Somber wrote:... sigh... why couldn't he let me do it?

There.  taken care of.  The weapons wouldn't be on the bridge.
Sorry… It didn't occur to me that, since it's so soon after the release of the chapter, you might be personally stepping in to correct errors.

Derpmind wrote:"I gave them a kick, then another, and then the triangles of steel pulled free and tumbled into the Core below" Um, wouldn't the steel triangles fall into the tower since they're being kicked from outside?
My thinking is that she disturbed them enough for them to fall, possibly hitting near the center and using an interior lip as a fulcrum.

Derpmind wrote:I don't know what part two will be like, but honestly this feels like a complete chapter to me. I might be wrong and part two will feel like a second part of a complete chapter, but I can't know that yet.
That was one of the options we debated, but Somber really wants to get the Thunderhead arc finished.

Icy Shake wrote:I don't always read two chapters of Project Horizons in one day, but when I do, I don't do much else. Glad it got up early enough for me to read it tonight.

Chapter Sixty Two Part One Running Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty Two Part One Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Sixty Two Editing Matters:
Bonus Editing:
Okay, on the whole, a pretty strong chapter. In addition to everything else, I'd point out that there were some great visuals, and both the humor and action were generally hitting well. The characters were well used and interesting, including the new one, and there's enough left in the air that I don't know just what to expect from Part II, but I certainly am drawn in and expecting great things.

Finishing up, thank you, Somber, and all the editors. I'm happy to hear that you have some money coming in from work, and I share your hope that the paperwork moves through quickly and you can get back to teaching, or subbing as the case may be. Likewise, I'm delighted to see the broad outpouring of support.
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:Should that be "onto" the bridge?
Oh, and it's actually a CIC, by the way, but we, after some argument, agreed that Blackjack would probably call it a bridge.

SilentCarto wrote:
Chapter 62a Commentary:
Editing:
Ah, thank you.

SilentCarto wrote:"sagged a little, but then"
No; that would make the second half of the sentence a fragment.

SilentCarto wrote:This sentence is rather convoluted -- you have an appositive to an appositive. I'd unwind it as, "Blue beams, like lines of crackling lightning out to weld the heavens, were lancing out from the corners of the tower near the crown and halfway down the side. Not the Core's weapons, but something I'd never seen before."
There's only one appositive there, I think.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Something not really relevant.:

I won't do any reviews, since I really suck at it (sorry), but I'm looking forward to how it ends.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:32 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Nah, the missile was most definitely a taunt. He fired that one so the General would move into intercept range and get inside the kill box for the surface batteries.
Well yea, it was bad luck that the missile was close to hitting the turnip wagon.

Katarn wrote:
Something not really relevant.:
I couldn't resist the urge to put this one on a couple times while reading the chapter, even though there were no pirates and the song really doesn't relate to the chapter at all. Eh. For the scene in question, though, nothing's better than this classic.

Katarn wrote:I won't do any reviews, since I really suck at it (sorry), but I'm looking forward to how it ends.
Your loss, it's fun! Try it some time.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:08 pm

swicked wrote:Edit:
Additionally, I think "balefire bombs blows" is intentional.
I mean, I pointed it out and somber said Rampage was just being weird.
...So should I put it back, then?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Finally read the chapter. I enjoyed it.

Rather like how this half of the chapter turned out in it's current state. Provides more character growth from Rampage. Boo continues to be cute but with freaky luck, Blackjack got to go Wastelander on some ponies, and Somber continues to make me actually like the Enclave while hating it at the same time.

Was that a Scott Pilgrim reference I read there? Back of the knee right?

And of course "Fly me closer so I can hit them with my sword!" I couldn't help myself but think that.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

I love Scott Pilgrim, got the books, movie, CD, and the game for download on PS3. I don't mind the reference, got a laugh from me. And the fact all of them, except the sound track, points that out, I couldn't help but pick up on it.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 am

Now, I didn't realize this at the time, and it's possible I'm forgetting something, but I believe there is something missing (not really) from the 62.1 update: I think it's the first update in a long time not to include a dream, memory orb, disembodied recording, or mind delve (is there another type I'm missing here?). If that is the case, when was the last time that happened? I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the single-digit chapters or, for that matter, if this is the first time it's occurred.

(Cue blush on someone pointing out there was one, and probably a big one, too, in 62.1.)
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:55 am

i'm sorry, Somber... i know how much you value feedback, and i really do want to read the chapter, but since it came out i have not been able to get a single minute of peace and quiet to read it, and i don't know when i'm going to... maybe some time next week, if I'm lucky.

just try to take care of yourself, sir. *hugs gently*
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:47 am

The four words were obviously "Eat all the ponies."
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am

::Hugs Ryx::  Don't worry about it.  Read it when you can.

@Icy: When would she had time?  Fact is I was trying to keep it short, hah hah, and I've covered all but about 4-5 important 'flashbacks' as it were.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Somepony should really sell tickets for Pecepitron use. An hour in BJ's head is worth about 1000 Fillydephia fun farm rides.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Icy Shake wrote:“Long as it’s not all the way out to Neighvarro.  Why?” Dusk asked in confusion.  Glory stepped closer to her, talking in low tones.  Then Dusk blinked, smiled, and actually gave Glory a hug.  “I’ll be back soon.”  And with that, she flew off, a bit wobbly but still airborne.

Getting Sky Striker?
*facepalm* Duh! They need someone who can take command, and she's going to a hospital. I should have figured that one out right away.

swicked wrote:the reason was because the TK bullets are not armor-piercing
Quest Perk Added: Magic Penetration - Your magic bullet spell ignores 15 DT of armor.
-- Chapter 25

swicked wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:
“Azimuth, Helicity, Hurricane, Perihelion, Sleet, and Stratus Fractus will approach and take positions at 22AJ, 24RS, 34PP, 56TS, 57FA, and 88RD respectively.”
Don't think I didn't see what you did there.
Mind explaining, then? 'Cause I didn't get that.
Look at the letters. AJ, PP, TS, RD... I think FA may have been a typo for FS. Not sure where the S in RS comes from, but anyway...

(Flarity and Rarishy?) Spike 

O. Hinds wrote:
Derpmind wrote:"I gave them a kick, then another, and then the triangles of steel pulled free and tumbled into the Core below" Um, wouldn't the steel triangles fall into the tower since they're being kicked from outside?
My thinking is that she disturbed them enough for them to fall, possibly hitting near the center and using an interior lip as a fulcrum.
Something like that. I figured the kicks weren't so much to push the pieces around as to break whatever was left holding them together, and since the original door hinged outward, that was the only direction they could fall. Like how a manhole sits flush but has a lip below that's too small for the lid to go through.

O. Hinds wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:This sentence is rather convoluted -- you have an appositive to an appositive. I'd unwind it as, "Blue beams, like lines of crackling lightning out to weld the heavens, were lancing out from the corners of the tower near the crown and halfway down the side. Not the Core's weapons, but something I'd never seen before."
There's only one appositive there, I think.
Granted, I misspoke. The simile is not an appositive. Still, I don't know what the exact rule is, but the phrases "Blue beams like lines of crackling lightning out to weld the heavens" and "not the core's weapons, but something I'd never seen before" both want to be immediately followed by a verb.

swicked wrote:Kay, so... titles used as pronouns are always capitalized? I'll commit that to memory.
Not quite that simple. Titles are capitalized when they're being used with the person's name (General Windshear), for direct address -- "Good morning, General!" -- or when it's being given as a formal title, like "Christopher Colombus, Admiral of the Ocean Sea". If it's being used as a descriptor, such as after a "the", you do not capitalize. "I said good morning to the general."

swicked wrote:Additionally, I notice we tend to miss out on this two spaces after the period thing a lot.
That's actually actively discouraged these days. Pretty much all professional typesetters agreed on a single space after period about a hundred years ago, and every major style guide says to single space it. Double spacing was only a thing due to early typewriters, where the space after the period can get "lost" among the gaps between letters in their monospace font. But that hasn't been an issue since electric typewriters were developed in the 70s.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DaWarWolf Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:22 pm

AAAH! I am so confused right now it's unbelievable. I was playing FA: New Vegas's Honest Hearts DLC and got to a cave that was named Morning Glory's cave and wanted to know if anyone else knows if Somber got inspiration from that name to name a character in his story after it? If not crazy coincidence?Crazy
DaWarWolf
DaWarWolf
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 2

Character List:
Name: WarWolf
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 pm

Somber wrote:::Hugs Ryx::  Don't worry about it.  Read it when you can.

@Icy: When would she had time?  Fact is I was trying to keep it short, hah hah, and I've covered all but about 4-5 important 'flashbacks' as it were.
Sorry; that wasn't meant as criticism, but as a joke within the observation. And yes, she was very busy.

SilentCarto wrote:
swicked wrote:Kay, so... titles used as pronouns are always capitalized? I'll commit that to memory.
Not quite that simple. Titles are capitalized when they're being used with the person's name (General Windshear), for direct address -- "Good morning, General!" -- or when it's being given as a formal title, like "Christopher Colombus, Admiral of the Ocean Sea". If it's being used as a descriptor, such as after a "the", you do not capitalize. "I said good morning to the general."
Good to keep in mind.

SilentCarto wrote:
swicked wrote:Additionally, I notice we tend to miss out on this two spaces after the period thing a lot.
That's actually actively discouraged these days. Pretty much all professional typesetters agreed on a single space after period about a hundred years ago, and every major style guide says to single space it. Double spacing was only a thing due to early typewriters, where the space after the period can get "lost" among the gaps between letters in their monospace font. But that hasn't been an issue since electric typewriters were developed in the 70s.
I've actually got to the point where anything FoE without double spacing looks wrong to me. Partially, it may be due to typesetting/kerning on Google Docs that seems to swallow the space after periods unless there is a quotation mark or letter broader at the top than bottom following it. The fact that it's written in a sans-serif typeface may also contribute.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 pm

FA Fluttershy Angelbunny.  RS Rarity Sweetie belle.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 am

swicked wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:
“Uh... navigation is... um... well, we’re still in the air, ma’am.”
Your line is, "Navigation is down. Helm is under local control."
Don't be mean to Wherewithal, she's new :P
In fact, all of the bridge bunnies deserve of respect; they do good fictional work.
Hehe. Well, she is a bridge officer on a military warship. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain degree of professionalism. Lyra
Anyway, it was only mildly disapproving.

Somber wrote:FA Fluttershy Angelbunny.  RS Rarity Sweetie belle.
Ahhh.

Oh Celestia, what does it mean?!
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 am

Ah, that makes more sense now.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:57 am

DaWarWolf wrote:AAAH! I am so confused right now it's unbelievable. I was playing FA: New Vegas's Honest Hearts DLC and got to a cave that was named Morning Glory's cave and wanted to know if anyone else knows if Somber got inspiration from that name to name a character in his story after it? If not crazy coincidence?Crazy
As far as I can tell, it's just a coincidence, and not a very crazy one at that. Sorry. Anyways, welcome to the discussion thread! We have infinite imaginary whiskey, so have as much as you want. And if you run out of sanity, we probably have some extra lying around here somewhere. Maybe.
Derpmind
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Technowolf Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 am

Cyborg v. Cyborg combat? Where the most effective tactic is chopping the enemy up with a sword?  I think its time for Blackjack...

to LET 'ER RIP!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/chPJ7x9iMw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Technowolf
Technowolf
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Granted, I misspoke. The simile is not an appositive. Still, I don't know what the exact rule is, but the phrases "Blue beams like lines of crackling lightning out to weld the heavens" and "not the core's weapons, but something I'd never seen before" both want to be immediately followed by a verb.
I still think that the current version is fine, sorry.

SilentCarto wrote:Not quite that simple. Titles are capitalized when they're being used with the person's name (General Windshear), for direct address -- "Good morning, General!" -- or when it's being given as a formal title, like "Christopher Colombus, Admiral of the Ocean Sea". If it's being used as a descriptor, such as after a "the", you do not capitalize. "I said good morning to the general."
Okay, see, that's what I thought and what I corrected to during brushing?  Icy Shake, why did you direct me to capitalize every instance?

Silentcarto wrote:That's actually actively discouraged these days. Pretty much all professional typesetters agreed on a single space after period about a hundred years ago, and every major style guide says to single space it. Double spacing was only a thing due to early typewriters, where the space after the period can get "lost" among the gaps between letters in their monospace font. But that hasn't been an issue since electric typewriters were developed in the 70s.
http://xkcd.com/1285/
I fall into the camp on the left, I'm afraid.

Icy Shake wrote:Good to keep in mind.
…So you didn't know?  I assume that you'll be providing a list of the places in the chapter where the changes in you first list need to be undone?  Actually, it would probably be simpler for you to provide a list of the places where captain and general do need to be capitalized; I can replace all to decapitalize the lot and then recapitalize the ones that ought to be capitalized.

edit: Sorry if that sounded ungrateful or otherwise rude. I'm just a bit annoyed at having to go back and refix a bunch of things that I painstakingly "fixed" not too long ago.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:21 pm

DaWarWolf wrote:AAAH! I am so confused right now it's unbelievable. I was playing FA: New Vegas's Honest Hearts DLC and got to a cave that was named Morning Glory's cave and wanted to know if anyone else knows if Somber got inspiration from that name to name a character in his story after it? If not crazy coincidence?Crazy
You know a morning glory is a kind of flower, right?
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 200px-Morning-glory-C6295b

O. Hinds wrote:...
That's okay, everyone is entitled to be completely, totally wrong about something. Twilight Sparkle
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:42 pm

O. Hinds wrote:…So you didn't know?  I assume that you'll be providing a list of the places in the chapter where the changes in you first list need to be undone?  Actually, it would probably be simpler for you to provide a list of the places where captain and general do need to be capitalized; I can replace all to decapitalize the lot and then recapitalize the ones that ought to be capitalized.

edit: Sorry if that sounded ungrateful or otherwise rude.  I'm just a bit annoyed at having to go back and refix a bunch of things that I painstakingly "fixed" not too long ago.
1. Nobody expects you to be grateful for bad advice, I least of all.
2. Of course. It's very much the least I can do.
I'm sorry.

Rank Capitalization:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:23 pm

swicked wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:General,” the Captain suggested.
Buh?
Shouldn't it be "the captain"?
My mistake: "General" is fine, "Captain" isn't.
I should have explained the top grouping is for "general," the bottom for "captain."
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 am

While working on the below, I discovered that Lighthooves and Storm Chaser have very similar views on the unexpected.
Lighthooves wrote:Maybe it’ll backfire.  Maybe it’ll blow up in my face.  Certainly possible.  But Thunderhead Intelligence’s learned that, sometimes, the unexpected is the most effective move of all.
Storm Chaser wrote:Occasionally, the unexpected is the most expedient.
Now, for the below, there are a couple of caveats: "high general" may be a case like "the Queen" which, only ever referring to one person at a time, could be an exception. Likewise, "honored councilor" may be different from other cases if it is either a singular title or treated as in the same category as "Your Majesty."

More Titles:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:32 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:...
That's okay, everyone is entitled to be completely, totally wrong about something. Twilight Sparkle
I shan't deprive you of your entitlement on this matter, then. :)

Icy Shake wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:…So you didn't know?  I assume that you'll be providing a list of the places in the chapter where the changes in you first list need to be undone?  Actually, it would probably be simpler for you to provide a list of the places where captain and general do need to be capitalized; I can replace all to decapitalize the lot and then recapitalize the ones that ought to be capitalized.

edit: Sorry if that sounded ungrateful or otherwise rude.  I'm just a bit annoyed at having to go back and refix a bunch of things that I painstakingly "fixed" not too long ago.
1. Nobody expects you to be grateful for bad advice, I least of all.
2. Of course. It's very much the least I can do.
I'm sorry.

Rank Capitalization:
Tis okay. Thank you for the corrections.

swicked wrote:
Buh?
Icy Shake wrote:
swicked wrote:
Buh?
My mistake: "General" is fine, "Captain" isn't.
I should have explained the top grouping is for "general," the bottom for "captain."
Ah, thank you.

Icy Shake wrote:While working on the below, I discovered that Lighthooves and Storm Chaser have very similar views on the unexpected.
Lighthooves wrote:Maybe it’ll backfire.  Maybe it’ll blow up in my face.  Certainly possible.  But Thunderhead Intelligence’s learned that, sometimes, the unexpected is the most effective move of all.
Now, for the below, there are a couple of caveats: "high general" may be a case like "the Queen" which, only ever referring to one person at a time, could be an exception. Likewise, "honored councilor" may be different from other cases if it is either a singular title or treated as in the same category as "Your Majesty."

More Titles:
Ah, thank you.
It would help if you provided a list by chapter, though, or at least of chapters included; that would be much more useful than a list by word for such an extensive multi-chapter error list, since opening chapters can be one of the largest (or at least seem like it) and most annoying parts of the job. As it is, I'm scrolling through your entire list looking for duplicate chapters. Hopefully I didn't miss anything, but I expect that your reread will eventually catch it if I did.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Icy Shake wrote:While working on the below, I discovered that Lighthooves and Storm Chaser have very similar views on the unexpected.

More Titles:
Well, once again, if you're starting the phrase with "the", do not capitalize. Think of it this way: it's only capitalized if you could replace the title (and only the title) with the person's name and it would still make sense. "Your Majesty", "Her Highness", and so on are therefore capitalized.
"Would Your Majesty like a drink?" -> "Would Celestia like a drink?" (Kind of odd to address her in the third person, but that's how 'Your Majesty' works.)
"Is Her Highness well?" -> "Is Luna well?"
"I don't like it, Captain." -> "I don't like it, Shining Armor."

If you're merely talking about the high general, you wouldn't say "The Harbinger"*, so no caps.
"What did the princess say?" -> "What did the Twilight Sparkle say?"

That said, some people will insist on capitalizing their own ruler no matter what.

*In before ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 pm

O. Hinds wrote:It would help if you provided a list by chapter, though, or at least of chapters included; that would be much more useful than a list by word for such an extensive multi-chapter error list, since opening chapters can be one of the largest (or at least seem like it) and most annoying parts of the job.  As it is, I'm scrolling through your entire list looking for duplicate chapters.  Hopefully I didn't miss anything, but I expect that your reread will eventually catch it if I did.
We'll see. It sounds like you've already taken care of those, but let me know what you think of this format, in case I should ever try something like it again. I figure losing order within a chapter is less harmful, as ^F is how you'd find everything anyway.
Spoiler:

SilentCarto wrote:Well, once again, if you're starting the phrase with "the", do not capitalize. Think of it this way: it's only capitalized if you could replace the title (and only the title) with the person's name and it would still make sense. "Your Majesty", "Her Highness", and so on are therefore capitalized.
"Would Your Majesty like a drink?" -> "Would Celestia like a drink?" (Kind of odd to address her in the third person, but that's how 'Your Majesty' works.)
"Is Her Highness well?" -> "Is Luna well?"
"I don't like it, Captain." -> "I don't like it, Shining Armor."

If you're merely talking about the high general, you wouldn't say "The Harbinger"*, so no caps.
"What did the princess say?" -> "What did the Twilight Sparkle say?"

That said, some people will insist on capitalizing their own ruler no matter what.

*In before ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.
Well, my understanding is that the specificity of titles can make a difference, in that some don't merely modify or take the place of proper nouns, but are treated as such themselves. See, for instance, the distinction between "I sent a letter to the duke," and "I sent a letter to the Duke of Norfolk" (operating much like "His Grace" or, as above, "Her Highness). Likewise, some offices are capitalized in general, even when referring to the holder of that office, as in "This was decided jointly with Turkey as the host nation and in close coordination with  the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, following a military assessment by the Allies involved and NATO’s Military Authorities."
Then you have cases of disagreement, as with the pope. The Guardian capitalizes "the Pope," while, for instance, The Boston Globe does not, though that could be a trans-Atlantic divergence in the treatment of titles.
But wouldn't it be nice if it were simple and everyone agreed?

Oh, and "Your Highness" is, I believe, second person, not third.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Pony + Post-Apocalypse + Whisky + Grammar = This thread.
Derpmind
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 31  Next