Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+56
Give_me_muny
InLucidReverie
Train Dodger
Luminous Lead
Silver136
DaWarWolf
SparkyTheDiamondDog
Kippershy
Tytan
Captain Stramash
Adalbertus
TheWanderingZebra
Harmony Ltd.
Rayndalf
Ketchup
thatguyvex
Exodus Hero
Meleagridis
FoolNeim
LordsServant
CD
Aonee
Downloaded Skill
Technowolf
chinman
StoneSlinger88
Vergil
Mazoku
CamoBadger
Mr. Snrub
ISuckAtNaming
Mister Nikel
Katarn
WavemasterRyx
Valikdu
OneMoreDaySK
tylertoon2
Penby
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Stringtheory
Admiral Stoic Rum
RoboRed
Somber
Frost
ARoundCorner
Derpmind
Caoimhe
TalixZero
Moodyman90
SilentCarto
Icy Shake
FeatherDust
cb5
Scienza
60 posters

Page 17 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Icy Shake wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:It would help if you provided a list by chapter, though, or at least of chapters included; that would be much more useful than a list by word for such an extensive multi-chapter error list, since opening chapters can be one of the largest (or at least seem like it) and most annoying parts of the job.  As it is, I'm scrolling through your entire list looking for duplicate chapters.  Hopefully I didn't miss anything, but I expect that your reread will eventually catch it if I did.
We'll see. It sounds like you've already taken care of those, but let me know what you think of this format, in case I should ever try something like it again. I figure losing order within a chapter is less harmful, as ^F is how you'd find everything anyway.
Spoiler:

SilentCarto wrote:Well, once again, if you're starting the phrase with "the", do not capitalize. Think of it this way: it's only capitalized if you could replace the title (and only the title) with the person's name and it would still make sense. "Your Majesty", "Her Highness", and so on are therefore capitalized.
"Would Your Majesty like a drink?" -> "Would Celestia like a drink?" (Kind of odd to address her in the third person, but that's how 'Your Majesty' works.)
"Is Her Highness well?" -> "Is Luna well?"
"I don't like it, Captain." -> "I don't like it, Shining Armor."

If you're merely talking about the high general, you wouldn't say "The Harbinger"*, so no caps.
"What did the princess say?" -> "What did the Twilight Sparkle say?"

That said, some people will insist on capitalizing their own ruler no matter what.

*In before ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.
Well, my understanding is that the specificity of titles can make a difference, in that some don't merely modify or take the place of proper nouns, but are treated as such themselves. See, for instance, the distinction between "I sent a letter to the duke," and "I sent a letter to the Duke of Norfolk" (operating much like "His Grace" or, as above, "Her Highness). Likewise, some offices are capitalized in general, even when referring to the holder of that office, as in "This was decided jointly with Turkey as the host nation and in close coordination with  the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, following a military assessment by the Allies involved and NATO’s Military Authorities."
Then you have cases of disagreement, as with the pope. The Guardian capitalizes "the Pope," while, for instance, The Boston Globe does not, though that could be a trans-Atlantic divergence in the treatment of titles.
But wouldn't it be nice if it were simple and everyone agreed?

Oh, and "Your Highness" is, I believe, second person, not third.
That looks like it ought to work.

Derpmind wrote:Pony + Post-Apocalypse + Whisky + Grammar = This thread.
:D
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:14 am

Icy Shake wrote:Well, my understanding is that the specificity of titles can make a difference, in that some don't merely modify or take the place of proper nouns, but are treated as such themselves. See, for instance, the distinction between "I sent a letter to the duke," and "I sent a letter to the Duke of Norfolk" (operating much like "His Grace" or, as above, "Her Highness).
Likewise, some offices are capitalized in general, even when referring to the holder of that office, as in "This was decided jointly with Turkey as the host nation and in close coordination with  the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, following a military assessment by the Allies involved and NATO’s Military Authorities."
Those are two different rules, really. Try to keep them separate. "His Grace" is a title (well... mode of address) that stands in for a name; the formal name of a position is a proper noun in and of itself. (President is not a proper noun. President of the United States of America is.)

Icy Shake wrote:Then you have cases of disagreement, as with the pope. The Guardian capitalizes "the Pope," while, for instance, The Boston Globe does not, though that could be a trans-Atlantic divergence in the treatment of titles.
But wouldn't it be nice if it were simple and everyone agreed?
Remember what I said about some people capitalizing certain titles all the time? This is one of those times. Technically speaking, "Pope" works just like "King", but some writers will capitalize it anyway as a sign of respect for the individiual and disrespect for the language. :)

Anyway, his title isn't actually "pope". It's "Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the Vatican City State, Servant of the servants of God". Note that "pope" doesn't appear anywhere there.

I could make a joke about the pope being a primate, but I don't feel like monkeying with it.

Icy Shake wrote:Oh, and "Your Highness" is, I believe, second person, not third.
Not exactly. "Would your brother like a waffle?" is third person, even if your brother is present. Likewise, if I'm addressing the princess's elevated status rather than the princess herself, it's still third person.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:51 am

*hugs Somber gently*

I know I say it every time, but thank you for putting so much effort into this world that you've created.  It's no exaggeration to say that my life would be much worse off without it.

Thank you as well to Hinds, Bronode, Swicked, Fuzzy, and Hidden for everything you do to help out.

I'm always hoping things will get better for you, sir.  Just try to take care of yourself, and remember that we believe in you.  And definitely good luck on your original manuscript!  Remember that if you need to take time away from PH to make that work, it's not a problem, what's most important is that you're okay.

Chapter 62 Commentary:
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:20 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:What I'm really worried about is just how much damage Lighthooves' use of the Core's weapons caused. They had to have been pretty high above the Core, and to have felt the Enervation as strongly as they did, it means that it probably spread quite a distance horizontally too... And that's not even taking into account the concentrations of rings that must be in places like the Society... I really hope things will be okay when Blackjack goes back below the clouds.
…I had not thought of that. Oh dear.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 am

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:What I'm really worried about is just how much damage Lighthooves' use of the Core's weapons caused.  They had to have been pretty high above the Core, and to have felt the Enervation as strongly as they did, it means that it probably spread quite a distance horizontally too...  And that's not even taking into account the concentrations of rings that must be in places like the Society...  I really hope things will be okay when Blackjack goes back below the clouds.
…I had not thought of that.  Oh dear.
Wow, can you imagine? I don't think any settlement is closer to the core than Chapel...
Yeah. Now, we don't know just how wide the river is there or if Chapel's usual unusual lack of Enervation comes into play, but still...
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Technowolf Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:22 am

O. Hinds wrote:
swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:What I'm really worried about is just how much damage Lighthooves' use of the Core's weapons caused.  They had to have been pretty high above the Core, and to have felt the Enervation as strongly as they did, it means that it probably spread quite a distance horizontally too...  And that's not even taking into account the concentrations of rings that must be in places like the Society...  I really hope things will be okay when Blackjack goes back below the clouds.
Wow, can you imagine? I don't think any settlement is closer to the core than Chapel...
Yeah.  Now, we don't know just how wide the river is there or if Chapel's usual unusual lack of Enervation comes into play, but still...
This also assumes that Enervation behaves like a gas or radiation.  I'll hold off judgement until we really know what it is.
Technowolf
Technowolf
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:52 am

I was gonna make a comment but then I realized I never really came up with my own head canon about Enervation.

I mean, if I had to picture it's spread in the last chapter than it's like a giant sphere from the Core, but that doesn't match up with all the other times it was shown.

Enervation is just kinda there in Hoofington. I'm gonna say that in reality it's literally everywhere in Hoofington, just that places like Chapel, the Society, Flank there's so little of it, it's like its not there. And then there's places where there's always mid to high levels of it for reasons we don't really know other than that maybe there's rings being powered nearby. And finally there's places that are death traps, where there seems to be no Enervation until the power kicks on.

It has a range, like that Enervation field Blackjack had to run through to get to Flank the first time, but really it's just kinda random of how, when and where it works.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:52 am

Technowolf wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Yeah.  Now, we don't know just how wide the river is there or if Chapel's usual unusual lack of Enervation comes into play, but still...
This also assumes that Enervation behaves like a gas or radiation.  I'll hold off judgement until we really know what it is.
My best guess is that Enervation behaves in a manner akin to a magnetic field, especially since it's usually described as such ("enervation field" as opposed to "enervation ray" or "enervation miasma"). It's why you have to enter a certain radius from a source of enervation to feel its effects.

But yeah, Chapel's fucked. We can't even imagine the size of the field that would be generated by the Core.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:16 pm

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
...Oh crap...[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 Rainbowderp
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Curious: Is part 2 due out sooner than usual because of the split? Was it more or less done by the time part 1 was released? Is the next chapter being worked on simultaneously?
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm 10p in to part b.  I thought it's only be 25-30p... but I thought the same thing about the entire chapter...

::Failwriter fails.::
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Writing more is not failing!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Please try not to worry about it, Somber. Just try your best, and write as much as you need to write. I don't think you're a failure at all.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Somber wrote:I'm 10p in to part b.  I thought it's only be 25-30p... but I thought the same thing about the entire chapter...

If your writing met your stated expectations, it would literally be the worst writing ever. There's seriously no such thing as proper pacing, just whatever is appropriate at the time. Go with the flow! Give in! Come to the Dark Side!

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 17 4474065261_4f95455a3d_z
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Ya know it's like I always say, mo' words... no problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Somber wrote:
And you are the most spectacular of failures, and that is why we love you for it. You should fail more. *hugz*

#I'mtotallybadatreversepsychology
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Somber wrote:I'm 10p in to part b.  I thought it's only be 25-30p... but I thought the same thing about the entire chapter...

Seriously man, don't worry about it. We'd rather have a massive chapter which flows naturally than one that was chopped down and rushed. Like, seriously, your fic is well beyond what many would consider absurdly long, so you've been in the "Fuck it, this thing is going to be as long as it takes" territory for a long time. The fact that you've skillfully used that longness to create as rich and interesting of a world as possible is a large part of the reason why this thread is also absurdly long. Trust me, we like long.

The accepting and understanding thing also goes for the times when life gives you out-of-season lemons and expects you to make lemonade, preventing you from writing. We get that you're doing this on your own time, and as long as you're happy with it, we'll be happy as well.

WE WILL HUG YOU INTO OBLIVION

*INTENSE HUG*
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Stramash Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey folks!

Finally finished the first part, really enjoyed the whole naval combat theme running through the chapter great work Somber!

Oh dear looks like Chapel might be screwed but they do have a mini vault remember.

Scienza that's a pretty good theory about enervation. I personally always thought of it as a signal being used to transmit commands or data through magical microwaves in machine speak which would explain the screeching kinda like tuning into the DSC channel on a VHF radio. I guess the rings resonate on the same frequency due to the metal and could potentially act as either relays or amplifiers to the signal. Problem is it doesn't explain the injuries received from exposure then again if you stood nest to a large military radar setup you would fry so I guess it's possible. Electronics is more my field to be honest.

Looking forward to the next part.

Captain Stramash
Foal

Brohoof! : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Stramash Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Hey folks!

Finally finished the first part, really enjoyed the whole naval combat theme running through the chapter great work Somber!

Oh dear looks like Chapel might be screwed but they do have a mini vault remember.

Scienza that's a pretty good theory about enervation. I personally always thought of it as a signal being used to transmit commands or data through magical microwaves in machine speak which would explain the screeching kinda like tuning into the DSC channel on a VHF radio. I guess the rings resonate on the same frequency due to the metal and could potentially act as either relays or amplifiers to the signal. Problem is it doesn't explain the injuries received from exposure then again if you stood nest to a large military radar setup you would fry so I guess it's possible. Electronics is more my field to be honest.

Looking forward to the next part.

Captain Stramash
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Captain Stramash wrote:
Charity's going to be the lone survivor, immersed in a vast sea of bottlecaps and treasure.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Stramash Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Precious will likely survive too then but I can't see charity leaving everyone to go mushy.

Captain Stramash
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:38 pm

For whatever it counts, I don't think Enervation fried Chapel. Chapel may be close to the Core, but I think it's possible that the randomly scattered fields of Enervation are actually caused by underground tunnels that happen to be channeling whatever causes Enervation. If that's the case, then Chapel and similar settlements that weren't close enough to the underground areas to feel Enervation before probably got off completely unaffected by the recent flare of energy.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:57 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:Dang... so the reason Lighthooves' white armor was so familiar wasn't because of Mare Do Well, but because it's the same cybernetics Blackjack had.  I must say that's a pretty good misdirect.  Which also means the friend that betrayed Blackjack was Dr. Zodiac...  That's definitely going to require a long talk when they finally get the time.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. First, I wouldn't exactly consider Zodiac a friend. An aquaintence, sure, and erstwhile ally, but a betrayal from her would be disappointing but not crushing or even particularly shocking. Second, with Steelpony unlocked, the info could have gotten out a number of ways -- snooping on the data stream when Zodiac downloaded it, or something involving Psalm's complicity, for example. But more to the point, we know Cog has that data, and probably just needed the access to use it -- which she gained as soon as Steelpony was unsealed. And since we know Lighthooves was working with her, I expect that's where he got the upgrades.

swicked wrote:Wow, can you imagine? I don't think any settlement is closer to the core than Chapel...
Well, remember, though, the source isn't at the surface. The Core is merely the epicenter. Given how far down the Tokomare was, I don't think the radial distance to Thunderhead and Chapel will be all that different, so the inhabitants of Chapel shouldn't have suffered any worse than the bridge crew around BJ. And that's discounting the idea that cooperation and harmony -- something Chapel's been showing a lot of lately -- may help insulate ponies against Enervation. Anyway, BJ got it shut down pretty quick, so... yay?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Grammar!
Thank you, that was very informative.
And, well, that's what I get for eliding the distinction between titles and styles. I'm still not entirely sold either way on "pope," though, since it's a borrowed word contraction of the style "Holy Father," but on balance I guess I'd go without capitalization when "the" is involved, which is most of the time. Oh, and I can't believe I keep forgetting that they dropped "Patriarch of the West" last decade. I rather liked that one.

It's okay, Somber. We forgive you. At this point, I'm pretty sure you lost everyone you were going to lose due to length, anyway; we who remain are with you for the long haul.
Oh, and I'm calling it now: we're not done with the Enclave until the high sixties, and the story as a whole breaks the hundred chapter and two million word marks. Okay, none of those is likely to happen, but a guy can dream, right?Spike 

Chapter Thirty One Running Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty One Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty One Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:02 am

Have I said Boo is Coyotl yet? I can't remember if someone debunked that already or not, so I'm sticking with this right now. White one's a whitewashed washing machine.

Brief observations:

Racewind:
I wrote a thing about Racewind after hearing one line of dialogue from him a few chapters ago, so it's not too surprising a statement to say that I Like Racewind. It is impressive how much of a character can be expressed with so little of that character. We already knew everything we needed to know about Racewind before we even got a glimpse of his magnificent beard. How did we know about this character from that single, solitary line of dialogue? Because it wasn’t a single line of dialogue. The information relevant to Racewind was passed out through Blackjack’s entire conversation with the general (I haven’t been following the capitalization rules very closely, I apologize if I butcher them). We came to know that the general is smart, fair, honest and straightforward. She isn’t a fool with Blackjack in either direction. She is loyal not just to the Enclave, but the right parts of the Enclave. And when she calls up an as-of-yet unmentioned character, giving us only the knowledge that he is an officer under her but above most crew, she gives him an unusual order to stop the progress of fellow captains through the ship by any creative means necessary. And his reply is snappy, efficient, and even a little funny. Through that interaction we now know that this captain trusts the general completely and operates on much the same level as her. He is level headed and quick to respond with an affirmative, not a request for clarification or sputtering confusion. And we also know that he is skilled at frustrating fellow captains. Notice he had a plan less than a second after being asked? He’s either done it before, or he’s thought about it at least once. If you worked with those other three, wouldn’t you?

I guess I’m just saying that it is impressive how much a character can be characterized with so little input from them. I’m also saying this to anyone who might be critical of Racewind’s ‘sudden’ appearance and subsequent self sacrifice. He may not have been around as long as some of the side characters, but I will smack anyone who says he hasn’t been around as long as the general, or says that he has no character. Through the general, the crew’s fixation on his corpse (nice touch, by the way) and his own magnificent beard- the likes of which snot-nosed upstart captains can only dream of rivaling -we saw enough of Racewind to know that his sacrifice was well within character and a genuine loss.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:35 am

Icy Shake wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Grammar!
Thank you, that was very informative.
And, well, that's what I get for eliding the distinction between titles and styles. I'm still not entirely sold either way on "pope," though, since it's a borrowed word contraction of the style "Holy Father," but on balance I guess I'd go without capitalization when "the" is involved, which is most of the time. Oh, and I can't believe I keep forgetting that they dropped "Patriarch of the West" last decade. I rather liked that one.

It's okay, Somber. We forgive you. At this point, I'm pretty sure you lost everyone you were going to lose due to length, anyway; we who remain are with you for the long haul.
Oh, and I'm calling it now: we're not done with the Enclave until the high sixties, and the story as a whole breaks the hundred chapter and two million word marks. Okay, none of those is likely to happen, but a guy can dream, right?Spike 

Chapter Thirty One Running Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty One Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty One Editing:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

This format, though… Oh dear… Again, please put things together by chapter; not doing so makes my job much harder. If this is the format that I approved before, I'm sorry; clearly I did not fully understand it. As before, if I missed anything due to the copious scrolling I had to do, I apologize.
Also, please do not place non-31 editing behind a spoiler that says "Chapter Thirty One Editing"; I had already ordered 31 to load when I opened the spoiler and saw the long long list of other chapters to get to first.
Oh, and this format also didn't have a clear divider between the majority of the actual 31 corrections ("the majority" because there were 31 corrections mixed in with the earlier-chapter corrections…).

Oh, and now that I'm getting into actually making the corrections, you've also listed chapters that don't necessarily need corrections; 21, for instance, only needs a correction if "hollowpoint" needs a correction. I'm not sure how to handle such mutually-exclusive corrections, but the current system potentially, and in this case actually, results in me opening chapters for nothing.

Aaaaand then 31 kept crashing and erasing my edits, this being preventable only by waiting a minute or so, at least, each time I wanted a single press of the spacebar saved. It got better eventually, but ugh.

Icy Shake wrote:You know what's one of the great things about this? How Blackjack doesn't immediately start to, and then continue habitually to, kill people with flame-based weaponry.
:D

Icy Shake wrote:Did they go to diesel? Maybe magic-powered/spark battery? Because I thought the issue was coal, after all.
I can only definitively speak for my headcanon, but, IIRC, this is one place where it and PH fully agree. Equestria went straight from steam locomotives to electric/magic locomotives. Of course, the electricity/magic sent to the trains still had to come from somewhere, but they're not steam trains any more than the earthy TGV is.

This has also reminded me… Stronghoof doesn't know about Lacunae yet, does he?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:44 am

Meleagridis wrote:First off, that particularly gory fight scene. This one was spectacularly... revealing. Intentionally, I imagine, to show that these augmented soldiers can, like Blackjack, absorb ungodly punishment before being neutralised. So they are being opened up, faces shattered, guts peeled back, all in all getting a nasty montage of "BJ's Greatest Hits (Taken by BJ)." So what I can't help but wonder is why nobody seems phased. I know they're all supposed to be military and all, but that really just doesn't seem like it would cut it next to the rampant disembowelment going on here. Old hat for BJ and Rampage, but I can't see why even these cyber soldiers would be used to such vivid gore. Time is dedicated to showing that they are at least superficially free willed- they shout patriotisms and battle cries and do everything we are shown and told the Coyotl do not. Because of this, I honestly expected that one of the soldiers would go into shock, muttering something about his heart not reflecting the horror he felt.
I imagine that Lighthooves prepared them for it. He knows what sorts of things Blackjack can do, after all; remember, he was a firsthoof witness to Yellow River. Oh, and "not bereft of free will" does not necessarily mean "fully free-willed".

Meleagridis wrote:And, finally, Whorefirst. ...I am waiting for the why. In this chapter, Lighthooves almost cartoonish villainy has been justified by Doc Oc. True or not, he has been properly humanized in a way that is simple to understand right now. As several hints thus far have suggested, he's Blackjack. Trying to do the right thing and find proper punishment along the way. He becomes real. In return, Whorefist shows an eagerness to slaughter civilians for the sake of slaughtering civilians, along with a little bio-terrorism and mutiny thrown in. The disobeying orders and trying to secure the missiles I can see, but this grinning, moustache-twirling need to blow people up is too out there to accept. I do not yet reject it... when we learned a little more about Brass it became apparent that she was, in fact, just a raging psychopath and it was easy to accept. With some more screentime for Whorefist, Smokey, and The 'Stache, I'm sure their villainy will seem more... organic.
As far as I know, it boils down to "We get to slaughter those noses-in-orbit Dunderheaders and get big promotions for it? Awesome!" I am kind of curious about how much of their crews support this, though, and what's going on with the ones who don't...

re Racewind:
Wow, I'd forgotten about his earlier appearance. Thanks for the reminder!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 am

Meleagridis wrote:Have I said Boo is Coyotl yet? I can't remember if someone debunked that already or not, so I'm sticking with this right now. White one's a whitewashed washing machine.
Well, it's looking more and more unlikely that BJ's Enervation immunity is due to her cybernetics. Being a cyberpony didn't help Silver Stripe down in the Necropolis, after all, and that's why she was in that tube in the first place. And every set of cybereyes we've seen have a telltale glow, but Boo's don't. Oh, and cyberponies have to eat gems to operate their cybernetics, unless she's been plugging into wall sockets when we weren't looking.

Edit: Uh, wait. Did you mean Boo is part of the Brood of Coyotl, or that she is herself an incarnation of Coyotl, the mythological figure? Just checking for the sake of clarity.

O. Hinds wrote:21, for instance, only needs a correction if "hollowpoint" needs a correction.
For the record, it should be either "hollowpoint" or "hollow-point". I'd recommend the former, myself.

O. Hinds wrote:Equestria went straight from steam locomotives to electric/magic locomotives.  Of course, the electricity/magic sent to the trains still had to come from somewhere, but they're not steam trains any more than the earthy TGV is.
Spark reactors seem to be the power source of choice in the waning days of the war, and the only ones that survived 200 years of neglect. Of course, we have exactly no information about how those work...

Oh, and:

(1:42 - "Doc! The red log's about to blow!")
O. Hinds wrote:This has also reminded me…  Stronghoof doesn't know about Lacunae yet, does he?
Nope, he doesn't... I wonder how Psalm would react. Depends on what memories she's retained from Lacunae, I guess.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

SilentCarto wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:This has also reminded me…  Stronghoof doesn't know about Lacunae yet, does he?
Nope, he doesn't... I wonder how Psalm would react. Depends on what memories she's retained from Lacunae, I guess.
Thinking on the Reapers and Rangers, I bet Big Daddy's just going nuts over the fact that Deus is a tank. There ain't many left of the Top Ten now that Psycho went batty.

On that note, we never did see the other three members of Big Daddy's Four Horses of the Apocalypse from way back in Chapter 7. We know that Deus was one of them, and I'm guessing that Brutus was probably one, but since they're never mentioned again, we don't know.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:35 pm

SilentCarto wrote:For the record, it should be either "hollowpoint" or "hollow-point". I'd recommend the former, myself.
The former is what I corrected to, so that's good.

Scienza wrote:Thinking on the Reapers and Rangers, I bet Big Daddy's just going nuts over the fact that Deus is a tank. There ain't many left of the Top Ten now that Psycho went batty.
Hah, yes!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next