Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+47
Third Wind
Scienza
Admiral Stoic Rum
Tytan
Necr0maNceR
cb5
Karasu
Exodus Hero
Aonee
Revan Seiei
FoolNeim
Plasticube
Technowolf
Mister Nikel
TalixZero
Vixie
WovenTales
FeatherDust
Ketchup
Sparklecake
Kaidon
Luminous Lead
Frost
thatguyvex
hawkeye92
Kippershy
StoneSlinger88
Somber
Downloaded Skill
Valikdu
Katarn
WavemasterRyx
RoboRed
Vergil
Harmony Ltd.
Derpmind
ARoundCorner
Caoimhe
Meleagridis
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
HillBilly-Drew
Evilgidgit
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Icy Shake
CD
51 posters

Page 19 of 29 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 am

I'm not sure about point three, but that's because I can't remember where in the story the cyberzebras disobeyed, or even acted like anything other then, well, robotic killing machines.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by cb5 Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:00 am

Moodyman90 wrote:I'm not sure about point three, but that's because I can't remember where in the story the cyberzebras disobeyed, or even acted like anything other then, well, robotic killing machines.
Didn't lancer say that if they disobey they are killed?

Also the idea of combining the three most technological advancements that can be used for war if I may say so a pretty sound theory of mine, cause in the real world if a country could just pop out soldiers in only a couple hours fully grown ready for combat then you bet your ass they're going to do it. Like you could take any country in the world, if you gave them that then no fucking duh they're going to use it.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:07 am

Lancer mentioned that some of the top, non-cyberpony generals complained that the Legate was using the cyber ones and was killed on the spot, but that's about that.

Unless there was a part of the story I missed or can't remember right now.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 am

Moodyman90 wrote:Lancer mentioned that some of the top, non-cyberpony generals complained that the Legate was using the cyber ones and was killed on the spot, but that's about that.

Unless there was a part of the story I missed or can't remember right now.
Whoops, got it mixed up.

As for the zebras, the only other thing I can think of where the cyborgs are coming from is cryosleep.  If four stars really knew the future then they could have packaged the soldiers in deep sleep for the two centuries knowing legate would appear. That's even more terrifying cause that would mean they not only planned for luna to come back, but had everyone in the palm of their hands for the entire war and for the last two centuries. Then again knowing the future would give you that power.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:30 am

Actually that brings up an interesting point... What did the starkaterri think of Luna (or rather, the Maiden of the Stars)? Would they revere her as their patrons' chosen tool? Be jealous and resentful of her unique connection to the stars? Do they believe she brings doom, and if so are they secretly on board, or opposing her in their own way?

Or does it depend on the Maiden? It seems like the Maiden has a choice to align herself with evil and darkness, as Nightmare Moon did, as the starkaterri do; or to choose light and life as Blackjack seems to be doing, the stars as light in the darkness, the souls of worlds. Would they feel differently about Blackjack, a Maiden who opposes the Eater, as compared to Nightmare Moon, who embraced it?
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Who are the starkatteri we have seen?

Now that we know they were 'accepted' into society and were able to function (and often were needed for breaking crucial ties) I wonder if they are all wicked and craven or if we have only seen some that happen to be wicked and craven.
Legate Spoiler:
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Legate spoiler:
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 pm

On the above discussion about Elements and virtues and whatnot, I feel that the answer to the question is obvious:

Spoiler:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Scienza wrote:On the above discussion about Elements and virtues and whatnot, I feel that the answer to the question is obvious:

Spoiler:
You're late. And your avatar is the ugly.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Derpmind wrote:
Scienza wrote:On the above discussion about Elements and virtues and whatnot, I feel that the answer to the question is obvious:

Spoiler:
Objection! YourHis Calamity's speech is too easily recognizable as English.
It's otherwise a nice, quick, funny story, though.
And Boss Smiley is, yes, ugly as sin and creepy to boot.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:49 am

FeatherDust wrote:
Legate spoiler:
Yeah, well... um, shut up... How
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Third Wind Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:56 am

Hi everypony!
So, I'm a bit new here, but I wanted to raise a question. Maybe it was already discussed though...
The point is, that FoE and PH are very special stories. But what makes them special? FoE took the nice characters we knew and showed their "Dark Side", it brought grief and sorrow in the world of MLP.  Ok, there are sad fics on MLP, but FoE felt like a cut in the heart. PH, meanwhile, hits you with a car, than walks out to finish you off with a baseball bat, pummeling your head to the ground and utterly pulverising it. I'm speaking about all that pain, angst, physical and moral suffering that were present on every page since the begging of PH. All that maims and self-destruction tendencies. That hysterical feel. Because of it I couldn't leave PH once I started it, being dragged into bright and violent world. After all the physical issues, I was troubled by BJ's thoughts of breaking up with Glory, when she had them, as they seemed created by depression, but not her sincere feelings. I even thought that maybe Goddess took something away from BJ to make her suffer and feel cold towards Glory. 
And what I really want to ask is - how long can be so? In last 5 or so chapters Blackjack found some meaning and some way to carry on. And what troubles me - if BJ is fine now, what is the driving force of the story apart from plot? They lost Lacunae, but that loss felt nothing like the things they have gone through in the past. It is sad alright, Lacunae was really nice! But is there really anything to shock us? Is there something that BJ still cannot imagine? Or is it time for her to finish the adventure once all quests are dealt with?
I'm not saying the story is too long, or that Somber is bad as smth. I just wish to hear some thoughts on that. If I may.

Third Wind
Foal

Brohoof! : 2

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:37 am

@Third Wind
Hallo, and welcome to the forums!

For my part, I've never really seen PH as an inherently grimdark sadficcy experience. It's brutal and likes to tear through your heartstrings if you let it in, and has some extraordinarily painful scenes, but, at the same time, there are real moments of unabashed victory and happiness, which Blackjack experiences just as powerfully as the moments of sadness. Project Horizons, with limited exceptions, feels powerfully alive, both during the bad and the good, and that's what keeps me enjoying it, I think. You get silly stuff, you get uncomfortable stuff, you get sappy stuff, you get horrific stuff, you get cynical stuff, you get heartwarming stuff... You get what may be the most realistic internal depiction of depression I've ever read for quite a bit of it - honestly, it's probably still ongoing, 'cos that crap tends to lurk in wait for the perfect moment to come back.

So, yeah. I know there're ways to put Blackjack back in pain-mode, even with her newfound defenses against it. I don't know that "relapse" is where the story's going, though. Doesn't seem all that likely. Danger of relapse, probably; "every story needs to have an ending," ya know, and as stories end, heroes die. Or even just suffer, a lot, and Blackjack's not one to take her friends' pain lightly. I do think that more of the angst is going to come from sources outside Blackjack - Goldenblood and Luna on the one hand, and - if I had to guess - Glory and Rampage on the other. P-21 has got potential, too, of course, as does Scotch, but both of them seem kinda sacred at this point. I probably shouldn't say that - no author can resist being told that some of their characters are immune to further trauma. So, yeah, shocks coming from those ends. Glory, obviously, has her homeland about to commit mass atrocities, her sister in critical condition and in league with a baddie, her mother perfectly happy to kill her and her family and in league with a big baddie, her father in critical condition, and her lover is Blackjack. So that's an endless well of possibilities.

There is always worse. I'm not sure we're going to see worse, though. I'm not sure that's where the story's headed. Out of all the endings possible, bittersweet seems the most likely. A truly happy end is possible, I think, as is a truly sad end - triumph and salvation, but at the cost of all the main characters' lives, for instance. I don't see a pure "bitter" end happening, though, which is sort of how I took the original FOE's ending, apart from maybe the epilogue which gave it a more hopeful tone. With the story heading into the endgame faster and faster, I don't think that there will be too many more all-time-low moments.

Hope that made some sense! Those were my thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Third Wind Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:55 am

@Overlong Analysis Cobalt
yeah, that makes perfect sense, i just.. feel sad, that the thrills and shocks of the PH begginig are unlikely to repeat. 
No argue, that PH has powerful happy moments, they are as good as powerful sad.
Simply, when BJ was on a brink of suicide, she was my favourite character ever. She still is, but that is beacuse of her past, not her present. 
I do not think that P-21, Scotch or Rampage are even able to take such degree of inner flame. Maybe it is beacuse I like Blackjack so much.

Third Wind
Foal

Brohoof! : 2

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 am

Icy Shake wrote:
Derpmind wrote:

Spoiler:
Objection! YourHis Calamity's speech is too easily recognizable as English.
It's otherwise a nice, quick, funny story, though.
And Boss Smiley is, yes, ugly as sin and creepy to boot.
Recant your heresy! Boss Smiley is a sexy devil. And my headcanon has been validated. Huzzah!

And now returning back to the topic, is anyone else seeing the parallels between Lacunae's development as an individual and Boo's increasing intelligence?
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister Nikel Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm

I am several days late to the party like usual so apologies.
Commentary:
Mister Nikel
Mister Nikel
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Icy remarked about trademarked proper nouns a while back. Know what else is?

Scotch Tape.

Not really an easy fix. :(
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Caoimhe wrote:Icy remarked about trademarked proper nouns a while back. Know what else is?

Scotch Tape.

Not really an easy fix. :(
...Unfortunately, I'm busy tonight, so I'm going to assume that that was meant to be a joke and hope very hard that I am right. (If indeed it was a joke and you wish to make more such jokes in the future, I ask that you either tag them as such or make them in a different thread. Anything in this thread that resembles an error spotting must be treated as such, and the bar for getting an error spotting dismissed as a joke or otherwise ineligible for reasons unrelated to its content is intentionally set high to reduce the risk of a mistake going uncorrected. I'm pretty sure that your thing here was meant to be a joke, and I still feel uneasy about leaving it instead of requesting clarification and watching all night for it. Also, I've had to take the time to type this out.)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm not saying it's a thing that needs to be fixed as such, but Scotch Tape is a brand name. Not many people realize it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Tape

It's one of those words that entered the common lexicon like Kleenex, Xerox, styrofoam, etc.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Caoimhe wrote:I'm not saying it's a thing that needs to be fixed as such, but Scotch Tape is a brand name. Not many people realize it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Tape

It's one of those words that entered the common lexicon like Kleenex, Xerox, styrofoam, etc.
Ah, thank you for the clarification!

edit: Also, sorry for making a fuss about this, but I take my job as editor seriously.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:I'm not saying it's a thing that needs to be fixed as such, but Scotch Tape is a brand name. Not many people realize it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Tape

Ah, thank you for the clarification!

edit: Also, sorry for making a fuss about this, but I take my job as editor seriously.
Just change her name Scotch Tape™.

Problem solved.

Last edited by Scienza on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:36 pm

I was going to say develop an elaborate backstory for her but I forgot that she already has one, as does every other character. Damn, Somber, why you gotta make such well rounded fleshed out characters? Don't you know everything in fan fiction has to be two dimensional wish fulfillment fantasy or self inserts?????
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Scienza wrote:Just change her name to Scotch Tape™️.
Problem solved.
I notice you don't have any brohoofs yet.

Now you do.
Dash clapping
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 am

Something from reddit: Who's going to tell Stronghoof about Lacunae?
Aonee
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:52 am

I'm gonna go with the insanely dramatic options:
a) Psalm, before taking her own life
b) No one, because Psalm will shoot him in the face
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:15 am

I've been thinking about endings.
Fallout: Equestria Spoiler:

Either way, I'll be incredibly sad when(if) Project Horizons ends.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:51 am

...Um. I don't think that you really need to worry about spoiling FoE for anyone in this thread. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

O. Hinds wrote:...Um.  I don't think that you really need to worry about spoiling FoE for anyone in this thread.  :)
The internet taught me that people get pissy over these things, even if it's totally ridiculous that they don't know. I tend to err on the side of caution.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Scienza wrote:I've been thinking about endings.

I'm really intrigued by how Somber's going to deal with the Day of Sunshine and Rainbows. Maripony established that we're really close to Littlepip's Epic Final Battle of Epicness, and Blackjack's involvement (if any) in it will be interesting to see. I guess it all depends on whether PH's ending is independent of FO:E's ending, which is highly possible since Heroes is also after Sunshine and Rainbows.

Either way, I'll be incredibly sad when(if) Project Horizons ends.
10 days, to be exact. Well... sort of. There's a teeny bit of a disconnect in that Pip was actually trapped inside Maripony for nearly 2 days, while this one didn't really suggest that BJ was out for 40-someodd hours.

By the way, Hinds, little editing matter:
Chapter 58 wrote:...I said as I looked at the luminesant ghoul.
Should be "luminescent".
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:13 pm

FoE had an entirely disappointing, cliched and unfulfilling ending that raised more questions then answered. Folks should at least know that so they wouldn't be disappointed waiting for a satisfying conclusion like I was. :(
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 29 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next