Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+46
Admiral Stoic Rum
Quotidian
Mister Nikel
Scootayay
Rboy474
Harmony Ltd.
hawkeye92
WovenTales
Farnham
RandomBlank
Jeremyrush
OneMoreDaySK
Necr0maNceR
WavemasterRyx
Princess Celestia
Somber
Stringtheory
Derpy Hooves
Aonee
nallar
Ki-Tarn
O. Hinds
NoodleNugget
Snipehamster
Orm
XT Vengeance
jacky2734
Tiroth
MrMagma
Ametros
Elexius
Kippershy
Moodyman90
Ketchup
Sindri
Rickyking
Scyto Harmony
Derpmind
Paper Airplane
Meleagridis
Valikdu
SilentCarto
RoboRed
Katarn
CamoBadger
Kattlarv
50 posters

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Moodyman90 Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 am

But the insanity feeds me. I forget how though... or what that confusion I get power from?
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Somber Fri May 18, 2012 1:01 am

Sigh... looks like I screwed up the chapter after all... sorry...

Regarding BJ... she doesn't have a clue. She really doesn't. That's because in stable 99 you have sex and you have relationships. The former is an orgasm. The latter is somepony you care deeply about. There wasn't marriage or any type of perminent relationship in the stable. Loyalty was supposed to be to the stable and the Overmare, not to a spouce. You'd be real lucky just to find a very special somepony to share your life with and hope you both stay on the same shift. Sex was fun, recreational, and not tied to relationships. As long as it wasn't obnoxious, incestuous, and was concentual, enjoy. Clearly, this outlook is VERY different from how relationships are in Thunderhead. And yes, it is a train wreck... because that is what BJ does. Her life is a train wreck, but she keeps going.

Regarding Stygius... he let BJ make the move. She says she has somepony... okay... says she was raped... okay... she's still hot and when your dating pool is a few generations from being a family reunion, an outside mare like BJ is more than acceptable. He's a twenty year old virgin who finally gets the chance to pop his cherry with a mare who isn't a ganger. If BJ had fallen apart, he would have stopped, but short of that or her going off on him, he'll go as long as he thinks she's okay with it.

I'm sorry the chapter wasn't better, but it was necessary for something that's coming later. I had to address what happened to her on the seahorse... this was how I had to do it. I'm sorry it made people mad, but it had to be done...

Sorry... I'll try and make the next one better...

Also, Blackjack's virtue isn't forgiveness, but it's close.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Fri May 18, 2012 1:06 am

Somber wrote:Sigh... looks like I screwed up the chapter after all... sorry...

Regarding BJ... she doesn't have a clue. She really doesn't. That's because in stable 99 you have sex and you have relationships. The former is an orgasm. The latter is somepony you care deeply about. There wasn't marriage or any type of perminent relationship in the stable. Loyalty was supposed to be to the stable and the Overmare, not to a spouce. You'd be real lucky just to find a very special somepony to share your life with and hope you both stay on the same shift. Sex was fun, recreational, and not tied to relationships. As long as it wasn't obnoxious, incestuous, and was concentual, enjoy. Clearly, this outlook is VERY different from how relationships are in Thunderhead. And yes, it is a train wreck... because that is what BJ does. Her life is a train wreck, but she keeps going.

Regarding Stygius... he let BJ make the move. She says she has somepony... okay... says she was raped... okay... she's still hot and when your dating pool is a few generations from being a family reunion, an outside mare like BJ is more than acceptable. He's a twenty year old virgin who finally gets the chance to pop his cherry with a mare who isn't a ganger. If BJ had fallen apart, he would have stopped, but short of that or her going off on him, he'll go as long as he thinks she's okay with it.

I'm sorry the chapter wasn't better, but it was necessary for something that's coming later. I had to address what happened to her on the seahorse... this was how I had to do it. I'm sorry it made people mad, but it had to be done...

Oh shush you, you have nothing to feel sorry about. so far most everyone here has given the chapter nothing but praise. yes there are a few things that some didn't like but you can't make everyone happy.
the chapter was fantastic and dont let yourself say otherwise. Or I'll whip you with a wet noodle.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri May 18, 2012 1:11 am

I took it as they enjoyed the chapter, but they strongly disapproved of Blackjack's actions. So you did an amazing job, they are just disappoint in the not-a-smart-pony
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 am

@Somber
I'm going to put this as delicately as dropping a brick on your head.
THIS CHAPTER DID NOT SUCK!!!

IMO This chapter was exactly what Blackjack Needed, a day in which she could relax and unwind. It was worth waiting 2 1/2 weeks for this. She resolved two of her worst problems. We get a little more info on what happened at Littlehorn, and there's another fan favorite in the PH roster.

There was not a single ounce of suckage that I could find in this chapter.
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 am

@Somber.
You didn't screw this chapter up. Not at all. I'm pretty sure I said this was the chapter I've been waiting on for the past couple of chapters.
Yeah people may have parts they don't like but you've created this amazing story we love to follow and we wouldn't be reading it if we didn't like it. In fact, I'm pretty sure some wouldn't complain if they didn't love it.
So stay safe and healthy and keep up the great work.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 am

swicked wrote:
*looks at your username*
...are...
...are YOU the wet noodle? o_o

that made me lol

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2012 1:19 am

Somber wrote:
If it's any compensation. I loved everything that didn't involve Stygius.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Fri May 18, 2012 1:21 am

I'm warning you Somber, I'm warning you[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Wetnoodles1
I'll do it. you don't think i will, but i swear, if i hear another 'sorry', you're gettin' whipped.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2012 1:39 am

Nightmare Moon wrote:

Homeless guy: Since he presumably has nothing, ensure he does not steal again: take his hands.
... Because surprisingly, there are people and groups in this world who will give food to the needy, FOR FREE.

Then why do people starve? ("Because they are dumb/weak" is only an acceptable answer if you are a fascist; more on that later)

Your solution to stopping crime is to treat it, and those who commit it, like a rampaging animal. Crime is a symptom; you treat the disease first. Your "simple world" doesn't exist outside your head - you realize this, and yet still base your beliefs on it. Therefore, your beliefs are, well, completely detached from reality-as-far-as-reality-is-possible-to-discern (heretofore referred to as "reality," since there is no other reality). And this is usually not ideal.

Here's what would happen if this policy was put into place in reality: every thief will turn into a murderer. You see the cops coming? If you're smart, you blow their skulls apart as fast as you can, you kill everyone you meet who might turn you in, and you take hostages like a motherfucker, disposing of them as you go - not because you are inherently a bad sort, but because the alternative you are given by the institution is too vile to accept. You are giving people an incentive to kill - because to submit to the rule of law is to die (at best). Now, since you've technically got fascist tendencies (I say this with no malice - hell, I've probably got oodles of fascist tendencies when you come right down to it) I suppose you could just argue that anyone who could evade punishment has the right to do so, since the stronger's dominance of the weaker is ideal, and on this point I could not argue. We would be approaching the problem from different assumptions. Your assumptions seem to lead you to hold secondary/whatever-iary beliefs that are woefully out of touch with reality, reason, and my own assumptions, but that does not make them less valid than mine.

I don't think you're an extremist. I think you fail to put critical thought into your belief systems. Then again, perhaps that is what defines an extremist: someone so devoted to his or her own beliefs that, instead of changing them to better reflect reality, he or she attempts to smash a star-shaped ideology into a triangle-shaped world, with little result other than breaking things and a plethora of unintended consequences. I don't know; I haven't studied extremists specifically, just marginally. It's a useful trait in people you intend to control, I expect. Total conviction means no ambiguity, questioning, or hesitation. (I suppose it's also possible that you're simply being dishonest, technically... to what end, I've not the faintest, but still - trust no one! Applebloom)

(Man, I hope I don't sound too critical here... I think my mind's still in Political Science mode or something. It's okay to be fascist, we're living in a democracy and most of the people who'd kill you for it can't tell you're one unless you start talking like one! Or they're like me, and don't "believe" in murder unless it's easy "necessary!")

@Somber
Well, shit, I got that... I think folks just expected Blackjack to naturally know what monogamy is, on account of... fuck it, I have done enough philosophizin' on ideological shenanigans for one night! There is a reason I'm not majoring in this: I get snarky about it way, way too easily. Guh. I'm issuing a blanket apology for snarkiness! Sorry! This shit needs to be said, but someone less of a jerk than me needs to say it. A version of me that doesn't find puns hilarious, for starters...

Also, chapter was fine! It's classic dramatic irony - painful as hell to see it go down for the reader, but still sensible enough from the perspective of the character. Recall Oedipus Rex!

Back to top Go down

Post by Necr0maNceR Fri May 18, 2012 1:41 am

NoodleNugget wrote:Perhaps the bat ponies were always isolationists with an allegiance to Luna because of her connection to night time. perhaps the bat ponies would send there best champions to the lunar princess, who would then learn equestrian after becoming enrolled as Luna's guard.
They could certainly learn to understand and write Equestrian, but the problem is that they are not physically capable of making the sounds necessary to speak Equestrian. They cannot learn to speak it anymore than an earth pony can learn to grow wings and fly.
O. Hinds wrote:Well, I'm not sure how unlikely it is, but it is still possible. You've made a good case, though, so I'm now leaning towards it being replica armor.
Cool. I'm glad you agree.

O. Hinds wrote:No, the enchantment doesn't "let Lionheart talk loud"; it grants him the Royal Canterlot Voice (and rather likely forces him to use it, though he may still have access to his normal voice and simple have not bothered since no one would have been able to hear it). As for it working, how is it a stretch at all? I am entirely at a loss as to how you are seeing a problem here.
As I said, Lionheart didn't use "thou", "thy", "speaketh", the royal "we" or any of the other supposed strappings of the Royal Canterlot Voice like Luna did. If the enchantment not only forced him to speak loudly, but to use archaic terms like that, then he would have. He did not, however. He just talked loudly. That makes sense, since batponies as Kkat had imagined them would certainly have been able to speak equestrian normally, and thus only need the sound amplification. Luna likely just gave them the sound amplification, then told them to talk differently(if even that). After two hundred years of Luna being dead and those archaic words being awkward, Lionheart probably just stopped using them. He could not, however, remove the armor that was fused to him, so he was still forced to speak loudly. That is also why he could not speak using the voice that is normal for Somber's batponies, since it would just come out as an ear piercing screech since Lionheart cannot remove the enchantment or turn it off. Plus, it's the Royal Canterlot Voice, not language. It's a way of speaking. The batpony language probably has it's own equivalents to archaic pronouns like "thou" and "thy" and other words like the archaic ones Luna used (which may not yet be archaic in the batpony language) that they could substitute the equestrian words with and still be using the Royal Canterlot Voice. If Somber wishes for the enchantment on the armor of Luna's guards to allow them to speak equestrian in addition to talking loudly, he should say so in the story. Especially since it appears to be his goal to provide a good look into batpony culture in Project Horizons, whereas batponies were barely mentioned at all in Fallout Equestria. To not mention the enchantment would be weird.
I thought the chapter was good. I hope the discussion I've been having has not made you think that I feel otherwise. The issues I am talking about are relatively minor and do not affect the quality of the chapter as a whole.

Also, if it was your intention to bring up the stuff about the enchanted armor in the next chapter then I apologize, but hey, I can only work with what information I have.
Necr0maNceR
Necr0maNceR
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 am

Necr0maNceR wrote: but the problem is that they are not physically capable of making the sounds necessary to speak Equestrian. They cannot learn to speak it anymore than an earth pony can learn to grow wings and fly.
says who? it's not like we know the anatomy of a bat pony to be able to determine whether or not it is able to speak in something deeper than a squeak. they most likely have a good set of lungs seeing as they have the ability to fly. and even if their vocal cords are not initially strong enough, they can be trained. why wouldn't they be able to speak as another pony?

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri May 18, 2012 2:01 am

Necr0maNceR wrote:As I said, Lionheart didn't use "thou", "thy", "speaketh", the royal "we" or any of the other supposed strappings of the Royal Canterlot Voice like Luna did. If the enchantment not only forced him to speak loudly, but to use archaic terms like that, then he would have. He did not, however. He just talked loudly. That makes sense, since batponies as Kkat had imagined them would certainly have been able to speak equestrian normally, and thus only need the sound amplification. Luna likely just gave them the sound amplification, then told them to talk differently(if even that). After two hundred years of Luna being dead and those archaic words being awkward, Lionheart probably just stopped using them. He could not, however, remove the armor that was fused to him, so he was still forced to speak loudly. That is also why he could not speak using the voice that is normal for Somber's batponies, since it would just come out as an ear piercing screech since Lionheart cannot remove the enchantment or turn it off. Plus, it's the Royal Canterlot Voice, not language. It's a way of speaking. The batpony language probably has it's own equivalents to archaic pronouns like "thou" and "thy" and other words like the archaic ones Luna used (which may not yet be archaic in the batpony language) that they could substitute the equestrian words with and still be using the Royal Canterlot Voice. If Somber wishes for the enchantment on the armor of Luna's guards to allow them to speak equestrian in addition to talking loudly, he should say so in the story. Especially since it appears to be his goal to provide a good look into batpony culture in Project Horizons, whereas batponies were barely mentioned at all in Fallout Equestria. To not mention the enchantment would be weird.
Ahhhhh, I see the problem now. I have, and I assume that this is also Somber's view, never considered the Royal Canterlot Voice to include dialect, and, as the RCV is in the pony vocal/aural range and uses the sounds that pony vocal apparati can produce (among, possibly, others), granting a batpony the RCV requires an enchantment that gives them the ability to talk mostly as a normal pony, going so far as to replace biological inadequacy with purely magic-produced sound if necessary.

I apologize for my lack of understanding earlier; it did not occur to me that you might be using a different definition of the Royal Canterlot Voice. I think now that it might be worth mentioning in the story on the offchance that others are similarly of differing opinion, but at present I see no way to make that mention. There might be an opportunity if Blackjack visits Stygius's home at some point, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri May 18, 2012 2:03 am

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:

Then why do people starve? ("Because they are dumb/weak" is only an acceptable answer if you are a fascist; more on that later)
Because they have either A) been screwed over by the world, or B) they do not know have the survival instinct necessary.

Your solution to stopping crime is to treat it, and those who commit it, like a rampaging animal. Crime is a symptom; you treat the disease first. Your "simple world" doesn't exist outside your head - you realize this, and yet still base your beliefs on it. Therefore, your beliefs are, well, completely detached from reality-as-far-as-reality-is-possible-to-discern (heretofore referred to as "reality," since there is no other reality). And this is usually not ideal.

Here's what would happen if this policy was put into place in reality: every thief will turn into a murderer. You see the cops coming? If you're smart, you blow their skulls apart as fast as you can, you kill everyone you meet who might turn you in, and you take hostages like a motherfucker, disposing of them as you go - not because you are inherently a bad sort, but because the alternative you are given by the institution is too vile to accept. You are giving people an incentive to kill - because to submit to the rule of law is to die (at best). Now, since you've technically got fascist tendencies (I say this with no malice - hell, I've probably got oodles of fascist tendencies when you come right down to it) I suppose you could just argue that anyone who could evade punishment has the right to do so, since the stronger's dominance of the weaker is ideal, and on this point I could not argue. We would be approaching the problem from different assumptions. Your assumptions seem to lead you to hold secondary/whatever-iary beliefs that are woefully out of touch with reality, reason, and my own assumptions, but that does not make them less valid than mine.
This is probably the right moment to say that should this event occur, I would disagree with your statement that it is "not because you are inherently a bad sort", simply because I do believe humanity is inherently evil (but that is a discussion for another time). And yes, I do think that everyone has the right to evade punishment if they wish to do so, that is their own prerogative, survival of the fittest and all.

I don't think you're an extremist. I think you fail to put critical thought into your belief systems. Then again, perhaps that is what defines an extremist: someone so devoted to his or her own beliefs that, instead of changing them to better reflect reality, he or she attempts to smash a star-shaped ideology into a triangle-shaped world, with little result other than breaking things and a plethora of unintended consequences. I don't know; I haven't studied extremists specifically, just marginally. It's a useful trait in people you intend to control, I expect. Total conviction means no ambiguity, questioning, or hesitation. (I suppose it's also possible that you're simply being dishonest, technically... to what end, I've not the faintest, but still - trust no one! Applebloom)

(Man, I hope I don't sound too critical here... I think my mind's still in Political Science mode or something. It's okay to be fascist, we're living in a democracy and most of the people who'd kill you for it can't tell you're one unless you start talking like one! Or they're like me, and don't "believe" in murder unless it's easy "necessary!")
I'd agree with that, because I really do hate most of what the world is nowadays. Sure, none of my beliefs will ever be implemented, but I still have them because I see it as better than how it is now (just me though, I don't want anyone here to think I'm trying to force my ideas on you, I'm not). And no, I am not being dishonest (though you're not the first person ever to accuse me of that after hearing what I think).

Nope, you don't sound too critical to me, you are simply pointing out the flaws in what I think. Every thought or idea has flaws, so I won't get offended just because you point out my own. Applebloom
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Fri May 18, 2012 2:05 am

I don't know how to delete this yet...

Last edited by Meleagridis on Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Those words were stupid, and they went where stupid words go)
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Fri May 18, 2012 2:09 am

Meleagridis wrote:I felt very happy at the end of the latest chapter. Went out, laughed with roommates, came back and opened up the discussion thread. I had a lot of things I wanted to say. Positive things. I'd like to thank anyone who tried to say something upbeat in the past four pages, as hard as it was to hear you.

I don't think I'm the only one who will be keeping quiet for a while. At least I hope I'm not the only one so thoroughly discouraged. Please don't keep the new atmosphere.

wasn't aware the atmosphere had a negative feel. generally i assume most text is completely neutral probably because i believe no one is slamming their fists on their keyboards in rage like an idiot. yes things get heated and exciting, but as far as i can tell, everyone here is being as friendly as possible

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 am

Meleagridis wrote:axed

Don't keep quiet man. If you do, than the negative atmosphere will persist. All you have to do is derail the conversation somehow to get it off those negative comments.

For instance:

Hey Everybody, I bet you can't write a monologue using the following prompt:
"Charity reveals her plot to take over the Hoof to Blackjack."

Or you can simply respectfully ask that a conversation that has gone on too long and gone way overboard be resolved. Regardless of what we like people to think, we are mostly reasonable people and we don't want to force people away or make them too uncomfortable to continue posting.

Last edited by jacky2734 on Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Fri May 18, 2012 2:33 am

@Swicked
How
*whacks Swicked over head*
Get your mind out of the gutter you sicko! Rage
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Fri May 18, 2012 2:34 am

jacky2734 wrote:Don't keep quiet man. If you do, than the negative atmosphere will persist. All you have to do is derail the conversation somehow to get it off those negative comments.

For instance:

Hey Everybody, I bet you can't write a monologue using the following prompt:
"Charity reveals her plot to take over the Hoof to Blackjack."

Or you can simply respectfully ask that a conversation that has gone on too long and gone way overboard be resolved. Regardless of what we like people to think, we are mostly reasonable people and we don't want to force people away or make them too uncomfortable to continue posting.

You are right. Perhaps I am the one being too negative. But I should have gone to bed hours ago (on this I would blame my overreaction), so my actual words can wait until the morning.

...If you wouldn't mind indulging my tired brain, could you axe those quotes? I really don't like to see my words when I don't agree with myself.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Fri May 18, 2012 2:45 am

Meleagridis wrote:
...If you wouldn't mind indulging my tired brain, could you axe those quotes? I really don't like to see my words when I don't agree with myself.

Request Granted.
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Necr0maNceR Fri May 18, 2012 2:52 am

NoodleNugget wrote:
Necr0maNceR wrote: but the problem is that they are not physically capable of making the sounds necessary to speak Equestrian. They cannot learn to speak it anymore than an earth pony can learn to grow wings and fly.
says who? it's not like we know the anatomy of a bat pony to be able to determine whether or not it is able to speak in something deeper than a squeak. they most likely have a good set of lungs seeing as they have the ability to fly. and even if their vocal cords are not initially strong enough, they can be trained. why wouldn't they be able to speak as another pony?
It's not about the strength of the vocal cords, it's about their shape, and that cannot be changed through training. Batpony language so far has been shown to consist of noises so high pitched that it is only partially audible (and only barely, at that) to regular pony ears. Given that Stygius apparently spent so much time learning to understand and write equestrian, don't you think he would have learned to speak it as well if he was physically capable? Even just a few words? If he can understand equestrian when another pony speaks it well enough to understand pretty much everything Blackjack says, he should be able to speak it, at least partially. Unless, like I already said, he is physically incapable of forming the sounds necessary to speak the language.
O. Hinds wrote:Ahhhhh, I see the problem now. I have, and I assume that this is also Somber's view, never considered the Royal Canterlot Voice to include dialect, and, as the RCV is in the pony vocal/aural range and uses the sounds that pony vocal apparati can produce (among, possibly, others), granting a batpony the RCV requires an enchantment that gives them the ability to talk mostly as a normal pony, going so far as to replace biological inadequacy with purely magic-produced sound if necessary.

I apologize for my lack of understanding earlier; it did not occur to me that you might be using a different definition of the Royal Canterlot Voice. I think now that it might be worth mentioning in the story on the offchance that others are similarly of differing opinion, but at present I see no way to make that mention. There might be an opportunity if Blackjack visits Stygius's home at some point, though.
Hmm, I didn't realize that you didn't know what I meant earlier. Glad that's been clarified. I do think it is important to provide an explanation as to why Luna's royal guards can physically speak equestrian, and regular batponies cannot. As far as where to mention it, like I said, it could be mentioned when Stygius is talking about batponies being Luna's royal guards. You could throw in a line about Luna giving them special armor that lets them talk like a regular (loud) pony. Of course, Somber may already be planning to bring it up in a later chapter.

As far as seeing what other people think about this issue goes, I think most of them are doing their best to ignore this conversation. They are likely considering it to be like my past discussions, and a waste of time, so don't expect much input from them.
Necr0maNceR
Necr0maNceR
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Fri May 18, 2012 2:59 am

Necr0maNceR wrote:
NoodleNugget wrote:
It's not about the strength of the vocal cords, it's about their shape, and that cannot be changed through training. Batpony language so far has been shown to consist of noises so high pitched that it is only partially audible (and only barely, at that) to regular pony ears. Given that Stygius apparently spent so much time learning to understand and write equestrian, don't you think he would have learned to speak it as well if he was physically capable? Even just a few words? If he can understand equestrian when another pony speaks it well enough to understand pretty much everything Blackjack says, he should be able to speak it, at least partially. Unless, like I already said, he is physically incapable of forming the sounds necessary to speak the language.

I can respect your opinions even if I don't agree them. So let's leave this at that.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Necr0maNceR Fri May 18, 2012 3:05 am

NoodleNugget wrote:I can respect your opinions even if I don't agree them. So let's leave this at that.
Alright.
Necr0maNceR
Necr0maNceR
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by WovenTales Fri May 18, 2012 3:07 am

@Somber:
There's always people who disagree with any given viewpoint. When said viewpoint is one of the pillars of their culture or mindset, they can disagree loudly and at great length. From what I've seen, everyone at least subconsciously considers Blackjack's understanding of relationships a reasonable projection of her background, but it conflicts with the (maybe too) core belief in our culture of monogamy being greatly preferable. It is not that we don't like the story, it's that we are suddenly confronted with this subversion of what is "proper" in a character we more or less share the thoughts of. Many of us—myself included—find it an interesting juxtaposition, prompting the careful examination of that practice. Those who are more strongly against it feel as though it shakes the foundation of their beliefs. The latter are those who comment. I am not saying that either view is better than the other, but in any occasion it is the ends of the scales that speak out as a way of shoring up said foundation, and those of us more willing to examine that which makes us uncomfortable find more interest in doing so than in oration.

What I'm trying to say is that you did not do anything wrong. You broached a controversial subject, and some people needed to defend their beliefs. But if you avoid all controversy, nothing you do will be interesting. (I feel that's paraphrasing a quote from somewhere; anyone know what it is?) This is not a comfortable story; ponies fail, ponies die. Ponies love and ponies are raped. I am actually surprised that this is what made people the most uncomfortable. But do not feel that that means it's not good. The fact that it has generated such a reaction means it is one of the better scenes. I doubt you are writing this story to make us feel warm and safe, Somber. If you were, Blackjack would have woken to rainbows and butterflies (no reference intended) as she left the house that first night. The raider gangs would help ponies with just as much enthusiasm as they now harm them. Thunderhead would clear the skies and return Equestra to a more civilized state. And I, for one, wouldn't want to read that story. The wasteland is not an easy fix. It is not a gentle place. We can never fully understand it. And there are very few ways to show this that are better than taking something we would enjoy and framing it with something alien, but that still makes sense. This chapter is amazing, Somber. Do not let the voices of those reaffirming the pillars of their faith make you believe otherwise.

I really need to work on cutting down my paragraphs. And I'm not attacking anyone; please don't feel like I am.
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister Nikel Fri May 18, 2012 3:26 am

So I finally got around to read 44 a while ago. I swear to god Somber it's like you are trying to pull on new emotional strings every time you make a chapter lately. The slow psychotic collapse of 42 then weird symbolism ridden virtual simulation that makes my head hurt and now a borderline clopfic and that is somehow heart warming while feeling wrong.

Alright, alright. Details. Okay first off the big picture. Loved the chapter. Not big surprise since you are a Tolkien tier writer with a crew of skilled editors. It would be very hard to mess something like that up. Made me feel some new emotions and gave me some food for thought that I never knew about.

Well then, details. MORE PARTY MEMBERS! (Even if they are temporarily) Stygius is quite likeable. He also introduced a faction which was hinted at before but finally got a bit more background information. Also I had a flahsback to this so I may have taken their sudden appearance better than most. He is a pretty loveable goofball. With a surprising amount of chivalry (Unless he is just attempting to impress BJ to get her to..*akhem*) which is rare in the wasteland. Love that he does not prejudice against BJ because of her robot implants and even finds them cool (And a turn on apparently). Overall he is a great addition. Hell I would love for him to be part of the main crew but sadly he doesn't have any guns to shoot Blackjack with. I will stray off topic for a sec to mention that you write amazing support characters Somber. Mad props for that.

Now then the juicy part. What? I am talking about Goldenblood's true face. Not sure how exactly BJ is picking up recordings but the Dealer is not in the mood for exposition today so I guess we'll see why later. Some of these new facts reveal some very interesting information. Goldenblood backed Luna to the very bitter end. Which really makes everything fuzzier, like Psalms mission and the attack on the museum. My moneys is still on Horse being involved in this but the plot became so deep that if it was made into a hole and I threw a dime in it no sound would be heard. Because of that all theories might as well be wild mass guessing. We finally see Trottenheimer on screen and he is all business. Also that cutie mark gives another argument in the "Project Horizons is about interplanetary travel and terraforming" camp. Blackjacks dream was very trippy and made me very sad. I had a flashback to what Dealer said about just one pony stopping to end the war. However I was confused about the magic beam technology. I thought that before Littlehorn incident the war was just "on paper" so to speak and wasn't as big of a conflict and the ministries were not founded yet and as a result beam magic weapons were not developed at that point. Then again it's a dream soooooo...

Despite everyone hating Goldenblood I actually like him. Not the character mind you but what role he plays in this. Despite his involvement in the entire storyline he is hardly Mary Sueish which is very surprising to be honest. His love for Fluttershy had to be genuine if it took priority over the safety of the entire country.

Now the....well you know what part I am talking about. Won't go into details but will share a few thoughts. I'll be honest reading that part made me feel uncomfortable I would hand wave it as art like I did with Glory/BJ relationship, but here the.....descriptions were a bit too detailed for my taste. I gave it some thought however and had a realization that consensual sex between two adult sentient creatures made me more disturbed than anything in this story which when looking back to it......feels very stupid to be honest. I suppose that's just a side effect of our modern culture and how we perceive violence as part of life while anything sexually related is taboo. This is the food for thought that the chapter gave me by the way. Really made me rethink my priorities. Although it took some time since by initial reaction was

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 1307978288674

Word for word. I can understand why some people are going nuts over that part. Frankly speaking I still don't like it but I understand why it's there and that it's not just a RCM (Random Clopfiction Moment). Well enough of that. I said all I wanted about it.

And finally Steel Rain makes a return and he is a Harbinger if that new mark is what I think it is. Always here to ruin the parade.

Anyways great chapter, keep up the good work Somber.

Last edited by Mister Nikel on Fri May 18, 2012 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister Nikel
Mister Nikel
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by WovenTales Fri May 18, 2012 3:29 am

swicked wrote:
WovenTales wrote:But if you avoid all controversy, nothing you do will be interesting. (I feel that's paraphrasing a quote from somewhere; anyone know what it is?)
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."?
Probably not, but it's one of my favorites (and I have several).
Sounds like it's close, at least. And it's certainly worth keeping anyway. Thanks!
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2012 3:36 am

You didn't screw up this chapter. It was an amazing chapter Somber and I loved every second of it. At first I was a little upset with Bj but after I actually thought about it(and got some sleep) I understand why Blackjack doesn't see what she did was wrong and I'm not upset with her anymore. Now I just worry about Glory but I'm sure your going to do so amazing for that. You always do, so keep up the outstanding work Somber I eagerly look forward to the next chapter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18, 2012 3:39 am

@woven
I feel like if monogamous relationships are completely alien to Blackjack then she should of had some response to this "I’m glad I was finally able to do that with you. I don’t want to do it with anypony else.” Back in chapter 22. After Sygius It feels like there's a sentence missing.

Back to top Go down

Post by WovenTales Fri May 18, 2012 3:50 am

TheLastDefender wrote:@woven
I feel like if monogamous relationships are completely alien to Blackjack then she should of had some response to this "I’m glad I was finally able to do that with you. I don’t want to do it with anypony else.” Back in chapter 22. After Sygius It feels like there's a sentence missing.
I meant "alien" more from our perspective. We don't share the background of 99, so we don't accept such easy hookups as normal. I do feel like Blackjack would have had some experience with monogamy as well (probably that one pony that everyone felt was way too devoted to her marefriend), but does still see it as rather malleable, as evidenced by Sygius. We, on the other hand, come from a culture that directs us to believe an exclusive pair is the ideal, one-night stands are just barely acceptable, and anything more than two people at once—physically, emotionally, or legally—may not be the worst thing you can do sexually, but is certainly pretty far down there. And that desynchronization between our mindsets is what jolts people beyond what they're comfortable with.

Last edited by WovenTales on Fri May 18, 2012 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : And there goes my tired brain, inserting words in the wrong place)
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Ametros Fri May 18, 2012 3:56 am

Nightmare Moon wrote:Also, also, I almost forgot to talk about "Love is in Bloom". I thought it was a very catchy song, but I will say I didn't believe in its message (please don't make me explain why tonight, I've already made myself look insane enough in the past hour Applebloom ).

You're not insane, you just happen to have ideals that are similar to some of mine (don't ask about mine, my ideology is a writhing mass of contradictory concepts, and I'm still much in the process of ordering it coherently for personal use).

Applebloom

I really don't know about more minor crimes, but for murder I believe in capital punishment, if proven beyond doubt. But I, too, have no faith in the justice system or people in general. We're on a collision-course for disaster, and we're taking everything down with us... I just hope that the planet and sufficient remnants of life remain too tenacious for even US to destroy.
Ametros
Ametros
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next