Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
Somber
RoboRed
CD
SilentCarto
Valikdu
Icy Shake
neoaustin
Frost
Rayndalf
nallar
Gadget Steamhoof
MSCA
Elden Andel
joltius
Tacoman587
DotRook
Vexd
Scootayay
Admiral Stoic Rum
TB3
FoolNeim
Defrak
Bootleg
tylertoon2
Katarn
Epsilon
Scienza
The Truth
Borsuq
PeppyJoe
decumos
Evilgidgit
JadedPony
atikin
FeatherDust
ILM126
Derpmind
WavemasterRyx
Harmony Ltd.
43 posters

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 12 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:03 pm

@Icy Shake:
Thanks for the clarification.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 12 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:00 am

O. Hinds wrote:@Icy Shake:
Thanks for the clarification.
You're welcome. But I notice I never responded to this part:
O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Ooh, I bet if Chris ever does read this far, he won't like that. :D
?
Chris is this guy. I've been following him for years, and he may at some point get to doing PH as one of his 6-star reviews. (No promises, because it's a doorstopper he actually used as a joke when explaining the NHL playoffs last year; if he does, the most likely time would be August of next year, as that's when he's historically done very long stories.)
He has a pronounced fondness for Carrot Top, about whom he has a few stories, which has lately manifested itself in posting screencaps of her appearances in episodes the next blog after they go on air, or complaining about her not being in them. (All in good, semi- self-deprecating fun.) That bit might be one of the closest at-a-stretch-kinda-could-be connections to her in the story, and it's not complimentary.

TL;DR: Obscure and perhaps even obtuse fandom reference.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:21 am

@Icy Shake:
Oh, right, yeah; sorry for forgetting about that. Thanks for the explanation.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Also re: ponyfic reviewers, Present Perfect now has a review of Volume One up.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:25 am

Hm, could be interesting; thanks.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:02 pm

New chapter of Homelands is up.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:50 am

Exciting! Glad I got it done tonight rather than putting it off, or I might have been distracted all week, and that's something I certainly didn't need.

HL2 Running thoughts:
HL2 Overall thoughts:
Thank you for the chapter. Pretty exciting from the action and drama sides, and it's been interesting to see bits of the tribes, spirits, and stars taking shape.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Let me just take a moment to state that there is an actual Zebra Deus Tank in Fallout 4:

[ screencap provided by Frost ]

Found northwest of Fort Hagen.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:44 pm

Huh, interesting. Apparently these can be found in several locations around Fallout 4. Though of course that's way too small to actually be Deus...
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Plus, they are more like Tank Destroyers, as they don't have real turrets.

Screencaps I took myself:
https://i.imgur.com/rfw5sju.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HvoGcGp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7Uptoqd.jpg
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Wait, I'll have to look back at it, but there may actually be a turret, if you look closely at the third picture.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:06 am

Yeah, those are turrets. The protrusions out of the rear-end sides might interfere with it actually turning, but it's a turret
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:47 am

I was thinking that myself. The turret would have limited mobility due to the device on the left rear corner, and the guns are huge for a vehicle of that size. It looks more like self-propelled artillery than a main battle tank to me. (For the record, the line between tank destroyers and self-propelled field guns gets rather blurry at times.)

I'm also not sure what those devices in front of the tracks are, but if they're supposed to be stabilizer legs missing their shoes, that would support the artillery theory. But they could also be an attachment for a bulldozer blade or something like that.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:45 am

There's a vehicule like that a few hundred meters north of where this one is, half buried into a trench, with a note next to it referring to a «missing tank»; with it being implied quite strongly that the missing tank is the one you find next to the note.

So that would point to them being referred to as tanks at least.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:05 am

Well, that could be chalked up to ignorance -- most people would say, "It's got treads, it's got a gun, it's a tank, right?"

I was thinking about the twin guns. That's something of an oddity -- there's usually very little reason for a tank to carry two small guns vs. one bigger gun, since cannon power scales rapidly with diameter and modern fire-control means they rarely miss the first shot.
Unless...
Unless they're not firing conventional ammunition.
I'm just eyeballing it, but looking at the caliber of those guns, we may have just found out what mini-nukes were designed to be launched by.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:45 am

You may have a point about the mini-nukes thing, but the note in question is written to and from military personnel. I know if I went into work and called anything but an Abrams a "tank", they'd punch me in the fucking face.

My original thought was that it's a dwarf tank designed for urban work (It's around National Guard areas and generally in-garrison rather than in-theater because its role was supplanted by Power Armor)
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Frost wrote:You may have a point about the mini-nukes thing, but the note in question is written to and from military personnel. I know if I went into work and called anything but an Abrams a "tank", they'd punch me in the fucking face.

Since this is an alternate history, tank doctrine may have diverted since the cut-off point. I think that isn't before the actual invention of tank destroyers, but words are only what meaning we apply to them.
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Frost wrote:You may have a point about the mini-nukes thing, but the note in question is written to and from military personnel. I know if I went into work and called anything but an Abrams a "tank", they'd punch me in the fucking face.

My original thought was that it's a dwarf tank designed for urban work (It's around National Guard areas and generally in-garrison rather than in-theater because its role was supplanted by Power Armor)
Oh, okay, I'd assumed the note was contemporary.

You may have a point about the dwarf tank idea, though one would expect such a vehicle to have excellent maneuverability for the turret. The odd out-of-line six-track design looks more like something designed for extremely rough or soft terrain to me (like, say... Alaska...) but you may be right about them being displaced to garrison duty following the deployment of power armor.

CD wrote:Since this is an alternate history, tank doctrine may have diverted since the cut-off point. I think that isn't before the actual invention of tank destroyers, but words are only what meaning we apply to them.
You could have a point, in that tank destroyers began with WW2, which is well before the divergence point (the transistor revolution of the mid-1950s), but were displaced in the '60s by wire-guided antitank missiles that could be mounted on any vehicle, which was probably enabled by transistor electronics. But there was certainly even then a difference between tanks, tank destroyers, armored troop transports (whatever you want to abbreviate it as), and self-propelled artillery.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:54 am

Regarding the turret; either

A.) this is another "art major, not engineer" incident, like 3 featuring the Pip-boy controls on the wrong side of the device, or 

B.) the attachments in question are simply temporary; likely attached for utility--when we head out to training, we usually strap our rucks to the sides of the Brads and everything form spare oil/grease to large storage boxes on the top, but we sure as hell wouldn't go into combat like that. The set-up on the tank could be some sort of nonsense like that.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:35 am

Cross-posting.

Happy Hearth's Warming:
http://wavemasterryx.tumblr.com/post/135755730582

I'm so sorry. I'm not sorry.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:38 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:Cross-posting.

Happy Hearth's Warming:
http://wavemasterryx.tumblr.com/post/135755730582

I'm so sorry.  I'm not sorry.
So that's what they put in snow-globes. Applebloom
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:46 am

A rough transcript of my thought process:
"Hm? Well, it's a nice picture of a rocket-shaped snowglobe, but I'm not seeing what the... sorry... was about... Oh, right. That. :)"
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:52 pm

Icy Shake wrote:So that's what they put in snow-globes.
In stimpaks (healing potions) as well, according to one of my favorite Let's Players, heh.

O. Hinds wrote:A rough transcript of my thought process:
"Hm?  Well, it's a nice picture of a rocket-shaped snowglobe, but I'm not seeing what the... sorry... was about...  Oh, right.  That.  :)"
Heh, well thank you, sir, I'm glad it made you smile some. *nuzzles very lightly*
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Texture suggestion to artists who may wonder how to represent star-metal:

(chunks of the Gibeon Meteorite, which can be bought of ebay)
https://i.imgur.com/rAL3x3D.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Zzyp3OE.jpg
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm eager to see the stats on Starmetal weapons, then
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:02 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:So that's what they put in snow-globes.
In stimpaks (healing potions) as well, according to one of my favorite Let's Players, heh.

O. Hinds wrote:A rough transcript of my thought process:
"Hm?  Well, it's a nice picture of a rocket-shaped snowglobe, but I'm not seeing what the... sorry... was about...  Oh, right.  That.  :)"
Heh, well thank you, sir, I'm glad it made you smile some. *nuzzles very lightly*

I loved it.  thank you.  ::hugs and nuzzles the Ryx.::
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Somber wrote:I loved it.  thank you.  ::hugs and nuzzles the Ryx.::
*hugs and nuzzles back gently* Thank you very much, sir, I'm glad you liked it.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Vectorbrony has drawn Glory's entire family.

Spoiler:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Glory-s-family-581252189

Sky Striker brings nanomachines to mind, for some reason.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:01 pm

Oh, nice; thanks for posting that.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Unexpected news—via Present Perfect, the old EQD comments are back.

Unfortunately, it looks like they're not paged, so to see many you'd need to hit Load More Comments a ton of times.

Original story post
Comment thread #1
Comments thread #2 (only 1700 posts for some reason)
Sadly, it looks like there was no recovery of #3.

editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next