Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+50
The Tainted One
Twilightrose42
The Truth
Boing
Luminous Lead
CD
Katarn
OneMoreDaySK
TyrannisUmbra
MSCA
Tytan
Technowolf
Valikdu
Admiral Stoic Rum
Dekshuduph
Meleagridis
ChaosDX1
chinman
Borsuq
skibadaa
SparkyTheDiamondDog
Rayndalf
FoolNeim
Retl
Evilgidgit
Shady
Harmony Ltd.
Scienza
CrispyBit
Aonee
Train Dodger
Stringtheory
TheWanderingZebra
StoneSlinger88
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Silver136
WavemasterRyx
Downloaded Skill
Somber
Derpmind
Exodus Hero
Caoimhe
SilentCarto
Moodyman90
O. Hinds
RoboRed
Vergil
CamoBadger
Icy Shake
54 posters

Page 22 of 32 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:48 pm

You also seem to be using the metric system whenever you can, so... By American standards, maybe?  Spike 
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 22 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:57 am

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I don't use metric too much myself, since that's just not how things are denominated here (though I'd like to put a word in for decimalized Imperial, as with surveying in the US—true, it's not as good as metric since metric both makes sense and is the system ~95.5% of the world uses, but at least it's a far sight better than having inches involved), but I've been on 24-hour time for my personal things whenever possible for around the last decade, and I wish we'd just go to GMT (and, of course, drop the ludicrous and wasteful Daylight Savings Time).

I don't have much to say re: Deus, but on Enervation resistance, I always liked the idea that while Harmony could drive out Enervation over time, as was implied with Chapel and the Arena, its effects became less harmful as someone became more similar to the EOS, specifically by "singing" less using all other notes. This was why I tended to think that things affecting the soul might lead to a degree of immunity, along with the fact that it seemed to show most starting after Blackjack's first death, which of course also brought the cyberization (which was shown not to be too effective, due to Silver Stripe's experience) and the blessing of the stars. Now, one thing I'm now less sure of than I was is an impression I picked up during Hightower, which I now suspect may have been mistaken, or indeed outright imagined: that feral ghouls were abnormally resistant to Enervation.

Anyway, for all that Goldenblood ended up serving the agenda of the EoS, even having its scream resonate in him more strongly than the soul-song, he apparently, at least at first, hated the Enervation scream (as did Trottenheimer), though it seemed that Horse likely minded less, given how much and how enthusiastically he worked with it. (Extended quotation on the front end because of relevance to the units talk.)
“That is a force talisman used by my horned assistants.  It can apply up to ten kilomacs of force in an area ranging from a decimeter in diameter down to one millimeter.”

“Why do you insist on using Fancee units?” he groaned.  “What’s wrong with the Equestrian Standard?”

“You tell me why we have twelve inches in a foot instead of thirteen and why there are sixteen ounces in a pound instead of fifteen and I’ll get back to you on that,” Horse replied.  Goldenblood set the talisman down in the row.  “You can see the pattern?” Horse asked as he gestured at the tools.

“Yes.  Each one is more efficient than the last.  More power, greater ease, less mass…” Goldenblood replied.

“Bingo.  I love working with smart ponies,” he laughed, then grinned as he tapped the empty table next to the talisman.  “So, Goldenblood.  What do you imagine belongs here?”

Goldenblood stared at the empty table, then looked at the grinning buck.  “Whatever you’re about to show me.”

“Goldie, you know me too well,” Horse chuckled as he reached under the table and lifted a tiny silver cube in his mouth.  He set it on the table at the place where he’d gestured.  “Ta-da.”

“That’s a hammer?”

“Indeedily it is,” he said as he took out a spark battery and a weird device with light bulb thingies attached.  “You know how this starmetal stuff only reacts to one specific frequency?  Well, watch what it does when we apply just a little bit of magic power at that frequency, but modify the amplitude…”  He turned a few knobs.

Goldenblood winced.  “I hate that noise.”  Funny, I wasn’t hearing anything at all.

So, read chapter 9 on Thursday, but didn't get around to posting until today because Civilization eats lives.

Chapter nine running thoughts:
Chapter nine overall thoughts:
Chapter nine editing:
Other chapter editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 am

@Icy Shake:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Your color correction in 63 is not actually in 63, though; it's in 64.

Icy Shake wrote:Huh? Why not?
It's a wonderful story of the triumph of profit motive over speciesism! Except not.

Icy Shake wrote:And the ponies of Stockyard say "Thank you for not volunteering us." When Blackjack tells the story to Littlepip, Littlepip responds with incredulity "So, you're trying to tell me you think other people have a choice in whether to help out?"
:D

Icy Shake wrote:Some of the word choices here might be a little suggestive of an attraction, but one which won't, if it exists here, be much developed until the Society. Either that or I have a bad case of permanent shipping goggles.
Well, you're in good company. This bit is, IIRC, where I started shipping Lancer-21. :)

Icy Shake wrote:Sometime's it's hard to tell if an organization doesn't care about the morale of its workers. This isn't one of those times.
You don't say?

Icy Shake wrote:with P-21 in particular having a look in his eyes he hadn't had since Splendid, even as he's clearly distrustful of the Remnant sniper.
See? And, yeah, then Lancer reveals his true colors… but he reforms later! And since, despite P-21's protestations, Blackjack shows that P-21 can accept reformation… :D
(Yes, it's probably still terribly cracky, but it's fun!)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:39 pm

This is slightly unrelated to Project Horizons, but it seemed to fit this thread better than the Setting Discussion: Was Steelhooves an operative for the Ministry of Awesome? I was rereading PH again and thought about the whole “___hooves” thing that both Lighthooves and Steelhooves had going and I thought about how weird it is that an enlisted grunt, even one dating a Ministry Mare, had a cryptonym. Normal name and rank should be appropriate, so why would he be assigned the code name? He also managed to kill Zecora, who, while not a fighter, did have MoA combat and infiltration training. More importantly, he repeatedly ranted about MoA black ops work which literally nopony else in Equestria knows about. Neither Luna or even the other Ministry Mares knew what Awesome was doing, so how did a non-commissioned officer stationed on guard duty far from the front lines learn about MoA's clandestine wetwork?
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Scienza wrote:This is slightly unrelated to Project Horizons, but it seemed to fit this thread better than the Setting Discussion: Was Steelhooves an operative for the Ministry of Awesome? I was rereading PH again and thought about the whole “___hooves” thing that both Lighthooves and Steelhooves had going and I thought about how weird it is that an enlisted grunt, even one dating a Ministry Mare, had a cryptonym. Normal name and rank should be appropriate, so why would he be assigned the code name? He also managed to kill Zecora, who, while not a fighter, did have MoA combat and infiltration training. More importantly, he repeatedly ranted about MoA black ops work which literally nopony else in Equestria knows about. Neither Luna or even the other Ministry Mares knew what Awesome was doing, so how did a non-commissioned officer stationed on guard duty far from the front lines learn about MoA's clandestine wetwork?
You make good points, but let's flip that backwards: If Steelhooves had been a MoA operative, shouldn't he have known not to hurt Zecora? Granted, they wouldn't necessarily tell every operative about every other operation, but it wouldn't make much sense not to let AJ's operative boyfriend in on the operation. And even if not, Zecora should have then been able to provide some kind of MoA passcode or something.

I got the impression that Steelhooves was a nickname or callsign, which he might have preferred to his somewhat embarrassing real name, and which he took on as his sole identity after his "death" in Zebratown. His knowledge of MoA operations may have simply been due to his Steel Ranger access after the Last Day, his ability to survive in Canterlot with 200 years of spare time on his hooves, and his insider knowledge via Applejack that Rainbow Dash wasn't as idle as she appeared.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Well, the Macintosh Marauders weren't exactly your run-of-the-mill unit, and it's possible they had to work with the MoA at some point during the course of the war.

And, even if it's not from the original FoE, Psalm was very close to Goldenblood, also known as "King Secrets". So maybe some intels got passed.

Though the simplest explanation might be that as a war hero, he got to make a number of contacts in the right circles, and he liked to get the clearer picture possible of the situation.

Add to that the "secret lover of a ministry mare" factor, and I could see him having access to a number of intel sources.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:03 am

Been a bit of a mess recently... surprise surprise.  Going to try and get 65 out.  It's going to be a massive, ugly, chapter... and apparently has some utterly shitty ideas that I've been planning for 2 years.

Also, yes, Civ V eats lives... but it is sooo much fun for Gandi to stomp Ghengis Khan.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 am

Probably something he brought up a long time ago somewhere that wasn't here and at least one person said it was a bad idea. I'm looking forward to the next chapter in any case and let my opinion, which will be reluctant criticism to neutrality at worse, be know afterwards.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:58 pm

We'll get 65 out; we just don't know when.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:06 pm

O. Hinds wrote:We'll get 65 out; we just don't know when.
Regardless when it is released, we all though that is will be GLORIOUS!
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Somber wrote:Been a bit of a mess recently... surprise surprise.  Going to try and get 65 out.  It's going to be a massive, ugly, chapter... and apparently has some utterly shitty ideas that I've been planning for 2 years.

Also, yes, Civ V eats lives... but it is sooo much fun for Gandi to stomp Ghengis Khan.
If you've been planning it for 2 years how can it be that bad? You've had more then enough time to think it over and modify it, I'm sure it'll be great!
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:58 pm

As always, rock on.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Somber wrote:It's going to be a massive, ugly, chapter... and apparently has some utterly shitty ideas that I've been planning for 2 years..

If you google "define context" you get this definition: "The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed." I'm sure you've told some people you ideas for the ending, but until you've written the chapter all those ideas and plans and dreams only come together in your head. You know how sometimes when a new movie or videogame or whatever is being made, you hear people talk about how they're being made and why X, Y and Z means it's going to be good or bad? Those are predictions, not reviews. You can't know how something is going to turn out until it's actually done. I don't know what's 'wrong' with your ideas, but I've got to disagree on principle.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Somber wrote:Also, yes, Civ V eats lives... but it is sooo much fun for Gandi to stomp Ghengis Khan.
Yeah, that's why I don't play 4X games anymore... I'm bad enough with just Kerbal Circles Simulator Space Program.

Derpmind wrote:If you google "define context" you get this definition: "The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed." I'm sure you've told some people you ideas for the ending, but until you've written the chapter all those ideas and plans and dreams only come together in your head. You know how sometimes when a new movie or videogame or whatever is being made, you hear people talk about how they're being made and why X, Y and Z means it's going to be good or bad? Those are predictions, not reviews. You can't know how something is going to turn out until it's actually done. I don't know what's 'wrong' with your ideas, but I've got to disagree on principle.
I can't +1 more than once. THIS MUST BE RECTIFIED. Rage
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Somber wrote:Been a bit of a mess recently... surprise surprise.  Going to try and get 65 out.  It's going to be a massive, ugly, chapter... and apparently has some utterly shitty ideas that I've been planning for 2 years.

I'd like to see you try and make a shitty chapter. We'd probably end up with another Lucidity and I'd be doomed to reread said chapter forever.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:49 am

*hugs very gently*  I'm sorry things have been so bad for you, sir.  Please just try and take care of yourself, and do enjoy Civ V for a little bit, because you could certainly use the break.  I have every confidence that it'll be a good chapter, no matter how long it needs to be, or how long it takes.

Derpmind wrote:If you google "define context" you get this definition: "The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed." I'm sure you've told some people you ideas for the ending, but until you've written the chapter all those ideas and plans and dreams only come together in your head. You know how sometimes when a new movie or videogame or whatever is being made, you hear people talk about how they're being made and why X, Y and Z means it's going to be good or bad? Those are predictions, not reviews. You can't know how something is going to turn out until it's actually done. I don't know what's 'wrong' with your ideas, but I've got to disagree on principle.
Very wonderfully said, Derpmind.  It's entirely true too.

Also, happy (late) birthday to Boo!
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 am

Happy birthday to Boo!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Tainted One Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:46 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but civilization is misspelled on the Google Docs hub page.

The Tainted One
Blank Flank

Brohoof! : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:18 pm

The Tainted One wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned, but civilization is misspelled on the Google Docs hub page.
Ah, thank you. I think that what happened there is that the spelling you spotted is the correct Commonwealth spelling, and Snipehamster, who wrote that passage, is a native speaker of Commonwealth rather than American English; as PH uses American English as its standard, however, you were write to point out the error.

Also, welcome to the forum!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 am

The Tainted One wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned, but civilization is misspelled on the Google Docs hub page.
Civilization?
I'll stay right here.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 am

Great... now that song is playing in my head... sigh...

Writing is hard.  This chapter has a lot of reveals and info and it's difficult to try and get them just right.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Civilization?
I'll stay right here.
I have all the old Fallout 3 and New Vegas music, and now I really have the urge to play that song...too bad I'm already listening to other stuff as I read these!

And good luck to you Somber! I'm sure the chapter will be great!
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Somber wrote:Great... now that song is playing in my head... sigh...
At least it wasn't Butcher Pete.

Trollestia
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Exodus Hero Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:12 am

Somber wrote:Great... now that song is playing in my head... sigh...

Writing is hard.  This chapter has a lot of reveals and info and it's difficult to try and get them just right.
Well, nothing worth doing is easy. Good luck, have fun.
Exodus Hero
Exodus Hero
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name: Penny Dust
Species: Filthy Mud Pony

http://exodushero.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by neoaustin Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:46 am

Random Question time? Which astrological sign do you think Blackjack, P-21, Morning Glory, and Rampage would each fit into? (yes i did just order them based on when they appeared in the story. answer the question.)
neoaustin
neoaustin
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 am

Well, I'd guess Blackjack's a Pisces, because, y'know, I'm shameless and Go Fish. :P

Back to top Go down

Post by neoaustin Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 am

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Well, I'd guess Blackjack's a Pisces, because, y'know, I'm shameless and Go Fish. :P
...*facehoof*
neoaustin
neoaustin
Colt/Filly

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 am

My puns will go on! *pennywhistle solo* Spike 

Welcome to the forums, btw!

Back to top Go down

Post by neoaustin Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:21 am

thanks. shame there isn't more people on right now.
neoaustin
neoaustin
Colt/Filly

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by neoaustin Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:35 am

Thats kinda why im asking. i don't know the signs and thought to get help from people i know have read PH. get their opinions and go from their
neoaustin
neoaustin
Colt/Filly

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 32 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27 ... 32  Next