Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+50
The Tainted One
Twilightrose42
The Truth
Boing
Luminous Lead
CD
Katarn
OneMoreDaySK
TyrannisUmbra
MSCA
Tytan
Technowolf
Valikdu
Admiral Stoic Rum
Dekshuduph
Meleagridis
ChaosDX1
chinman
Borsuq
skibadaa
SparkyTheDiamondDog
Rayndalf
FoolNeim
Retl
Evilgidgit
Shady
Harmony Ltd.
Scienza
CrispyBit
Aonee
Train Dodger
Stringtheory
TheWanderingZebra
StoneSlinger88
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Silver136
WavemasterRyx
Downloaded Skill
Somber
Derpmind
Exodus Hero
Caoimhe
SilentCarto
Moodyman90
O. Hinds
RoboRed
Vergil
CamoBadger
Icy Shake
54 posters

Page 19 of 32 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by FoolNeim Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 am

So I read Ch. 64. I'm really bad at running commentary so I'll keep this short. Liked the chapter, absolutely loved the ending. I suppose I have a nitpick/question:

Spoiler:

I'd also love to hear Homage give a radio update again. It kind of feels like Homage has practically disappeared from the story for quite a while now. She's hardly critical but she did add to the atmosphere of a wasteland in need of a hero, no matter how fucked up the hero was. If Somber and the editing team are adding a few bits in retroactively, maybe an Homage broadcast or two would be good.

Anyway, any word on how Somber is doing? I take it he has a lot on his plate to take care of before doing Chapter 65.

Edit: I swear I had no idea what those dice roll things were. I didn't mean to spam.  Shy

Last edited by FoolNeim on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:28 am; edited 2 times in total
FoolNeim
FoolNeim
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 9

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 19 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm extremely sorry it took so long to finish this...  I thought this chapter was great and I really don't know if that comes across strong enough... I just had a really hard time focusing enough to figure out what to say... but I really do think you did a good job with it, Somber.  And I still think you deserve better...

I wish I could do more to help you...  Please try to take care of yourself, sir.  *hugs very gently*

I know it never happens, but I still always wish things will get better for you... and I hope you'll be able to make it to Bronycon.

Chapter 64 Commentary:

I suppose I should go a little more in-depth how I feel about what happened to Boo in the end, since some people will probably be wondering...

regarding Boo:
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:58 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:
regarding Boo:
Spoiler:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Ryx wrote:I never really thought I'd be so sad for a rock...
That's PH for you. The rocks have sympathetic backstories. :)

Ryx wrote:Rampage saying Moon Dust is made with a tiny bit of actual moonstone makes me wonder if that's how Snips made the temporary talismans to get into the prison, with condensed Moon Dust...
Ooh, wonderful idea! In the absence of better information, I'm going to headcanon this.

Ryx wrote:The second major traumatic part of this chapter... the swarmers tearing everyone apart while Blackjack watches is just... ouch.
Oh, but she wasn't just watching…

Ryx wrote:Blackjack, please, I'm trying to cry and be emotional here, don't make me laugh...
And that is also PH for you. :D

And after this pleasant interlude, I'd better get to that 204-page reading assignment...
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Ryx wrote:I never really thought I'd be so sad for a rock...
That's PH for you.  The rocks have sympathetic backstories.  :)
I know, it seems pretty silly on the surface, but after all it's not really just a rock, there's all the life force that went into creating it.  I'd call it one of PH's strong points, certainly.

O. Hinds wrote:
Ryx wrote:Rampage saying Moon Dust is made with a tiny bit of actual moonstone makes me wonder if that's how Snips made the temporary talismans to get into the prison, with condensed Moon Dust...
Ooh, wonderful idea!  In the absence of better information, I'm going to headcanon this.
Ah, I didn't know if Somber had ever had an official stance on Snips' talismans, but if it works for you I'm glad I could help.  It's certainly a somewhat nicer alternative to my previous thought that he went around murdering ponies to seal their souls away to use as something of a sacrificial anode.

O. Hinds wrote:
Ryx wrote:The second major traumatic part of this chapter... the swarmers tearing everyone apart while Blackjack watches is just... ouch.
Oh, but she wasn't just watching…
Very true, the fact that she was directing them really did make it worse...  I think it's understandable that I didn't word that right, considering how disturbing that scene is, heh...

O. Hinds wrote:
Ryx wrote:Blackjack, please, I'm trying to cry and be emotional here, don't make me laugh...
And that is also PH for you.  :D
Yeah, I would definitely consider that as another of PH's strong points.  For as much as Somber says he can't do humor, he is good at working the little points of humor into the story.

O. Hinds wrote:And after this pleasant interlude, I'd better get to that 204-page reading assignment...
Good luck, sir.  I do hope you're able to get through it okay.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by MSCA Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:50 pm

FUTURE EPISODE SYNOPSIS SPOILER:
MSCA
MSCA
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Exodus Hero wrote:I had a problem with the ending that might well be explained later but I'm going to bring it up now in the hopes that someone can explain it to me without myself having to wait a month.
Spoiler:
He wasn't implying Boo is the maiden.  He just said he was certain that Blackjack isn't.

It's ambiguous as to whether he meant that A> he knows BJ isn't the Maiden at all, and the Maiden is actually somebody else (which would suggest that his earlier claims to the contrary were a ruse to throw his zebra followers off the trail), or if he means that B> Blackjack still hasn't "met her destiny" and therefore, as he stated before, she still isn't the true Maiden yet.

That said, I certainly think B is the correct answer here.  It seems impossible that Blackjack totally isn't the maiden and never will be; her ancestor Tarot literally had stars in her eyes, Blackjack's soul was taken to visit the stars when she died (though she didn't recall it later), and just by the laws of narrative, you don't pull in some random person who's had little or no presence in the story to be the one with a capital-d Destiny.  You have to build up to that kind of thing, as has been done for Blackjack.

That said, we're kind of assuming here that Vitiosus has some source of absolutely correct knowledge and everything he says is true.

If B is not the case, then we already know that Vitiosus is a liar (or is, at best, telling the truth "from a certain point of view" that makes it as good as a lie).  He's said very clearly on different occasions that Blackjack is and is not the maiden, so if the latter doesn't mean yet, then he was just lying one of those times.

And whether A or B is the case, Vitiosus could simply be mistaken about whatever secret knowledge he thinks he possesses.  It'd be a great bit of dramatic irony if he were publicly claiming BJ is the Maiden while privately "knowing" that she's not and it's really somebody else, and then it turns out he was wrong and BJ really is the Maiden after all, and he completely misunderstood what the Maiden is all about.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
Exodus Hero wrote:I had a problem with the ending that might well be explained later but I'm going to bring it up now in the hopes that someone can explain it to me without myself having to wait a month.
Spoiler:
He wasn't implying Boo is the maiden.  He just said he was certain that Blackjack isn't.

It's ambiguous as to whether he meant that A> he knows BJ isn't the Maiden at all, and the Maiden is actually somebody else (which would suggest that his earlier claims to the contrary were a ruse to throw his zebra followers off the trail), or if he means that B> Blackjack still hasn't "met her destiny" and therefore, as he stated before, she still isn't the true Maiden yet.

That said, I certainly think B is the correct answer here.  It seems impossible that Blackjack totally isn't the maiden and never will be; her ancestor Tarot literally had stars in her eyes, Blackjack's soul was taken to visit the stars when she died (though she didn't recall it later), and just by the laws of narrative, you don't pull in some random person who's had little or no presence in the story to be the one with a capital-d Destiny.  You have to build up to that kind of thing, as has been done for Blackjack.

That said, we're kind of assuming here that Vitiosus has some source of absolutely correct knowledge and everything he says is true.

If B is not the case, then we already know that Vitiosus is a liar (or is, at best, telling the truth "from a certain point of view" that makes it as good as a lie).  He's said very clearly on different occasions that Blackjack is and is not the maiden, so if the latter doesn't mean yet, then he was just lying one of those times.

And whether A or B is the case, Vitiosus could simply be mistaken about whatever secret knowledge he thinks he possesses.  It'd be a great bit of dramatic irony if he were publicly claiming BJ is the Maiden while privately "knowing" that she's not and it's really somebody else, and then it turns out he was wrong and BJ really is the Maiden after all, and he completely misunderstood what the Maiden is all about.

There could be several people who are eligible to be the Maiden, and the Legate is merely waiting for one to meet the (his) requirements.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Ryx wrote:Yeah, I would definitely consider that as another of PH's strong points. For as much as Somber says he can't do humor, he is good at working the little points of humor into the story.
Indeed.

Ryx wrote:Good luck, sir. I do hope you're able to get through it okay.
Thanks. We're explicitly allowed to skim it, fortunately, and the professor hasn't even bothered setting a have-read-by date; the only real bother is fitting it in amongst various other assignments.

MSCA wrote:
FUTURE EPISODE SYNOPSIS SPOILER:
Spoiler:

FeatherDust wrote:And whether A or B is the case, Vitiosus could simply be mistaken about whatever secret knowledge he thinks he possesses. It'd be a great bit of dramatic irony if he were publicly claiming BJ is the Maiden while privately "knowing" that she's not and it's really somebody else, and then it turns out he was wrong and BJ really is the Maiden after all, and he completely misunderstood what the Maiden is all about.
:D
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Exodus Hero Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
Spoiler:

Thank you, cleared it up a bit in my mind.
Exodus Hero
Exodus Hero
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name: Penny Dust
Species: Filthy Mud Pony

http://exodushero.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:05 am

Hello everyone.  Reading alot of comments.  I'm glad the chapter was okay.  I guess the BJ sex appeal was crap.  Sorry about that.  Some of the speculation is spot on, and some of it is way off.  You'll find out soon which is which.  Writing is going slow on account I'm pretty low right now.  I have a long term sub position that pays a third of a teaching position but with all the responsibilities of a full time teacher.  Yay...

I hope I can get my head together and get some more progress on Horizons done.  Right now I'm just 8p in because I can't get my stupid ass head together enough to write more than a page at a time.  Really frustrating.  I'm worried I might have to go back on my anti depressants, because that stuff kills my creativity.  It turns me into a potato... a happier potato, but still a potato...
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 am

Somber wrote:Hello everyone.  Reading alot of comments.  I'm glad the chapter was okay.  I guess the BJ sex appeal was crap.  Sorry about that.  Some of the speculation is spot on, and some of it is way off.  You'll find out soon which is which.  Writing is going slow on account I'm pretty low right now.  I have a long term sub position that pays a third of a teaching position but with all the responsibilities of a full time teacher.  Yay...

I hope I can get my head together and get some more progress on Horizons done.  Right now I'm just 8p in because I can't get my stupid ass head together enough to write more than a page at a time.  Really frustrating.  I'm worried I might have to go back on my anti depressants, because that stuff kills my creativity.  It turns me into a potato... a happier potato, but still a potato...
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you'll be okay overall, and I hope you can avoid needing to use those anti depressants. I know it can suck to be on those and not feel up to par mentally.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:40 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:I'm wondering if that one pegasus who said she'd seen the counter-magic pattern to Enervation before had seen it when examining a piece of moonstone...  If so, it might not be long at all before Glory and the rest can enter the Core.  And I'm actually surprised I made the connection with Steel Rain's amulet being the same as the ones they'd used in the Tokomore before Blackjack did.
Probably so, but I still don't know where she would have seen a magical sub-frequency trace for moonstone that came out of a machine that's been in a storage closet for generations...

WavemasterRyx wrote:The following piece with the creation of the moon is very nicely done as well.  I never really thought I'd be so sad for a rock...  The little chat with Echo is quite sad as well... unless Cognitum is a copy of Luna and knows what to do, there really doesn't seem to be any way to save Echo...
Ffffffffuuuuuuu--! I can't believe I didn't pick up on that! BJ is going to give EC-1101 to Cognitum to save Echo. Holy crap.

WavemasterRyx wrote:Rampage saying Moon Dust is made with a tiny bit of actual moonstone makes me wonder if that's how Snips made the temporary talismans to get into the prison, with condensed Moon Dust...
Or else he grabbed a soul and compressed it down until it condensed as a tiny chip of moonstone...
I kinda got the impression that he did something bad to create those talismans.

WavemasterRyx wrote:Is it possible that everything she is now is because of Discord, and she really is "just an eggshell" as the Legate says?  Yeah, it is.  And if that's the case (if she survives the fight), then that means once Discord leaves, she'll go back to being like when she first met Blackjack.  Maybe it wouldn't be the "best" outcome, but at least she would still be cute.

On the other hoof, she has always been "different", even before Discord was released, so there is a chance that there is still something that's really "her" in how she is now.

I'm trying to stay positive.
Boo was explicitly different from the other blanks, even when Discord was still wrapped up in starmetal. Her apparent precognition, luck shield, and rapidly-increasing intelligence are probably all Discord, but it seems that we've got at least one presumed blank (Peppermint) that reached the point of understanding spoken Equestrian without Discord's influence.

I guess this explains why Boo knew to be embarrassed back in the Society...
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:43 am

Somber wrote:I'm glad the chapter was okay.  I guess the BJ sex appeal was crap.  Sorry about that.
You know, there's a lot of shades of gray in between 'that worked perfectly' and 'that was crap'. This particular bit was only a little off, and I just chalked it up to pregnancy hormones.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 am

Somber wrote:Hello everyone.  Reading alot of comments.  I'm glad the chapter was okay.  I guess the BJ sex appeal was crap.  Sorry about that.  Some of the speculation is spot on, and some of it is way off.  You'll find out soon which is which.  Writing is going slow on account I'm pretty low right now.  I have a long term sub position that pays a third of a teaching position but with all the responsibilities of a full time teacher.  Yay...

First off, congrats on getting the job! It might be painful now, but it's a big step towards your goal. If PH has taught any of us anything, it's that you can put the time and effort into reaching your goals.

Also, if some of the speculation is true, does that mean THE REAPERS ARE COMING?!?!
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 am

Good luck, Somber.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Keep your head up, Somber. Things must get better. And don't ever give up in pursuing what you want to do.
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Somber wrote:Hello everyone.
*hugs very gently* I'm sorry, sir... I really hope you'll be okay... just please try to take care of yourself...
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Scienza wrote:
Also, if some of the speculation is true, does that mean THE REAPERS ARE COMING?!?!
I would love for that to be the ending, and I would hate it at the same time. Crazy
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Derpmind wrote:While turning the moon into starmetal is a suitably epic endeavor for any evil mustache-twirling villain, I'm not sure why Goldenblood would do so. What would a moon-sized chunk of power be used for, and in fact what could starmetal be used for anyways? Unless someone figured out how to use starmetal to do something besides kill stuff and reshape itself weird, this wouldn't do much more than prompt the megaspell-destruction that happened anyways. Remember, Project Horizons is somehow meant to benefit Equestria, or at the least Luna.
Actually he said that Horizons was meant to utterly destroy both sides.  It's not to benefit Luna at all.

SilentCarto wrote:No, I mean he'd convert moonstone until it reached something on the order of 1 million tons, then shut off the shields and let it touch the surface. He implied that Horizons was a massive weapon. It was supposed to "wipe out the bad" and save the rest.
But that's not what the weapon DOES.  He intended it to wipe out the bad and save the rest, but "I went too far!  Why go halfway if you're going to destroy the world?"  He built something that would destroy everyone and everything.

Consider the math.  In Horse's demonstration, we have the "bird's nest" of Starmetal weighing one kilogram, plus a small piece of moonstone that fit in his hoof (a few ounces, perhaps).  The scale went to three digits before it topped out ("EE"), so that's a minimum of a 100x weight increase, and possibly over 1000 if the scale could read up to 999 kg.  I suspect closer to the latter end of the scale -- it was heavy enough to crush the table it was sitting on, and I wouldn't expect a table to collapse under a mere 100 kg, which is the weight of an average man, or even 300 or 400 kg.  In fact, since the proper reaction ratio is 1000-to-1, I suspect the conversion process does exactly that in reverse; each kilogram of moonstone converts into 1000 kilograms of starmetal.

What happens, then, if you consume the entire moon on that conversion factor?  Or even half that factor?  The mass of 500 moons packed into less than a cubic meter of metal would tear the earth apart just from the gravitational force involved, and that's assuming it doesn't turn into a black hole.  I haven't run the numbers to see what the Schwartzchild radius is for that kind of mass, but we're talking about a planet-killing cosmic event, AND that would be exactly what the Eater wants...
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Silver136 wrote:
Scienza wrote:
I would love for that to be the ending, and I would hate it at the same time. Crazy
BWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 pm

FeatherDust wrote:What happens, then, if you consume the entire moon on that conversion factor?  Or even half that factor?  The mass of 500 moons packed into less than a cubic meter of metal would tear the earth apart just from the gravitational force involved, and that's assuming it doesn't turn into a black hole.  I haven't run the numbers to see what the Schwartzchild radius is for that kind of mass, but we're talking about a planet-killing cosmic event, AND that would be exactly what the Eater wants...
…Luna, you're right! It wouldn't just pull every soul in the moon into the Eater and kill the rest of the planet for the Eater as well, it would collapse the planet. The Eater would end up with either a black hole or a neutron star. It doesn't want to escape the planet and return to space; it wants to make the planet its new body!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
…Luna, you're right!  It wouldn't just pull every soul in the moon into the Eater and kill the rest of the planet for the Eater as well, it would collapse the planet.  The Eater would end up with either a black hole or a neutron star.  It doesn't want to escape the planet and return to space; it wants to make the planet its new body!
 Well, the Tokomare IS surrounded by high tech energy shields.  Weren't those the things that Horse tweaked to convert from one to another?

Ch 64 wrote:“An inch,” Trottenheimer said quietly.  “It is small and it is fragile, but it is the only thing worth having.”
Surprised I'm not seeing more people jump on this, but... hi there Valerie.

SilentCarto wrote:Ffffffffuuuuuuu--! I can't believe I didn't pick up on that! BJ is going to give EC-1101 to Cognitum to save Echo. Holy crap.
Best bet is either a reconstruction out of all the collected bio-goop that's lying around, or Echo's soul ends up in her kid.  Man, given the amount of chemical, biological, and spiritual shennanigans Blackjack gets up to, her kid is is gonna be hella messed up.

Ch39 Footnote wrote:Quest Perk added: Kissed by Discord - Do you really want to know?
Well, I guess we know what's been keeping Blackjack from up and dying like everyone else.  Discord's blood has already been shown to provide insulation between starmetal (enervation) and moonstone (soul energy) in the silver bullets, so it's not too surprising that he could replicate the effect intentionally.

swicked wrote:If Discord simply left Boo this instant, she would be a normal blank. Given everything, though, I think he might decide to leave a little bit of himself behind in his shell as a bit of a reward for not for not giving out on him. Just enough so she can continue on without him as she previously seemed to have been.
...but that's just more or less a "feel good" prediction than one based on the facts. He could just as easily be too weak to fend off the Legate and Boo could die right here.
 For whatever reason she was already not a normal blank.  She was showing signs of independent action (firing guns, however haphazardly) before Discord stuck his head in her ear.  It's clear that he's been guiding her, or using a her as a focus for effects, but it's debatable just how much can be attributed to good ole' father chaos.

Interesting play between the Legate and Discord near the end.
Ch 64 wrote:You always were amusing.

The Legate knew him before he got sealed? I know I was entertaining the idea that he might be the first star warrior or something, but Lego is confirmed pre-war?

Ch 64 wrote:You were supposed to die two centuries ago, but Goldenblood spirited you away. You should have died when Blackjack freed you, but you hitched along in that empty vessel.” The Legate pointed a hoof at the mare. “It’s time for you to die, Discord!”
Lego confirmed pre-war AND parley to a plot to bump Disco off? Looks like Goldie did some good after all, keeping him out of the way.

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 21

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 pm

O. Hinds wrote:…Luna, you're right! It wouldn't just pull every soul in the moon into the Eater and kill the rest of the planet for the Eater as well, it would collapse the planet. The Eater would end up with either a black hole or a neutron star. It doesn't want to escape the planet and return to space; it wants to make the planet its new body!
Ffffff... wow. Huh. It's... possible? Surely that couldn't have been Goldie's intent, though. I mean, how do you accidentally crash the Moon into the Earth? I took "went too far" to mean it's supposed to go blam, not BLAM.

Still, a planetary mass of starmetal resonating with its scream would seem to fit the Eater's original intent -- cruising through the cosmos, devouring other stars and trying to make everyone sing his monotone.

On the black hole question: 1 kg of iron forms a sphere with a radius of 3.118 cm.
Schwarzschild radius is the solution to 1/(2M-r) = 1. Plug in 3.118 cm, run that backward, and you get about 3.4 Earth masses. (If we take into account the air space, the required density is far higher.)
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Luminous Lead wrote:
Ch 64 wrote:“An inch,” Trottenheimer said quietly.  “It is small and it is fragile, but it is the only thing worth having.”
Surprised I'm not seeing more people jump on this, but... hi there Valerie.
Aha! Thank you!

Luminous Lead wrote:The Legate knew him before he got sealed?  I know I was entertaining the idea that he might be the first star warrior or something, but Lego is confirmed pre-war?
I think we already knew that. He was the Caesar's right-hoof man, wasn't he?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:41 pm

I haven't always kept up well with Kkat's statements about FOE canon and her headcanon, so maybe someone here knows the answer to this:
The sun and moon keep going on momentum, but what about the seasons? Do they keep turning without input, or is Equestria stuck in a sort of cloud-covered "nuclear summer"?

Or does the Enclave keep up with that?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:32 am

Fallout: Equestria wrote:Spike watched us with amusement, waiting for Calamity to dry himself before answering. “Well, that’s when the ponies of Ponyville would clean up the winter so that spring could start properly.” As he looked at us, I could see it dawning on him that none of us had the slightest clue what he was talking about. Two of us were from Stables and had never experienced a winter. Calamity had been an outcast long enough to have been through a few, but only wild winters that wrapped themselves up on their own. The pegasi had long stopped aiding the passing of the seasons.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 am

Luminous Lead wrote:Best bet is either a reconstruction out of all the collected bio-goop that's lying around, or Echo's soul ends up in her kid.  Man, given the amount of chemical, biological, and spiritual shennanigans Blackjack gets up to, her kid is is gonna be hella messed up.

I think when we see Luna put Echo into EC-1101 she puts his body in stasis somewhere. They might be able to find that maybe. Or Echo might just die around the end too.

Something something protective properties of the, uh, whateveritscalled? Is there anything like that? BJ hasn't been touched by taint in a long while and is insulated against radiation and chemical stuff and enervation too. Idono.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 am

*hugs Somber a little again*

Evilgidgit wrote:Oooh, that would be lovely. And then there's a video recording of Goldenblood [...] parodying Wayne Knight's "didn't say the magic word" tease from Jurassic Park.
I would like to do this when I have time and manage to feel up to doing anything...

Scienza wrote:
Spoiler:
While this is true, as far as I know he never demonstrated an ability to control Flux after it was drained from him, it merely carries his inherently chaotic nature.  The real drastic changes to Boo did only start to occur after Discord was freed.

O. Hinds wrote:Thanks.  We're explicitly allowed to skim it, fortunately, and the professor hasn't even bothered setting a have-read-by date; the only real bother is fitting it in amongst various other assignments.
Well that's something at least...  I know what you mean though, my professors always liked to give assignments like they were the only class I had...

SilentCarto wrote:Ffffffffuuuuuuu--! I can't believe I didn't pick up on that! BJ is going to give EC-1101 to Cognitum to save Echo. Holy crap.
It's a possibility, at least, yeah.

SilentCarto wrote:Or else he grabbed a soul and compressed it down until it condensed as a tiny chip of moonstone...
I kinda got the impression that he did something bad to create those talismans.
That's pretty much what my original thoughts had been regarding them (minus the "moonstone" part, since I had no idea that moonstone counteracted enervation), as I said, condensed Moon Dust was a "somewhat nicer alternative to my previous thought".

SilentCarto wrote:Boo was explicitly different from the other blanks, even when Discord was still wrapped up in starmetal. Her apparent precognition, luck shield, and rapidly-increasing intelligence are probably all Discord, but it seems that we've got at least one presumed blank (Peppermint) that reached the point of understanding spoken Equestrian without Discord's influence.

I guess this explains why Boo knew to be embarrassed back in the Society...
I wonder what happened that I have absolutely no idea who Peppermint is...

And that's quite the odd thought.  I never would have expected Discord to be a prude, heh.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:41 am

Ryx wrote:I wonder what happened that I have absolutely no idea who Peppermint is...
At the moment, I'm pretty sure that Somber is the only one who really knows who and what Peppermint is. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 32 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25 ... 32  Next