Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
hawkeye92
jacky2734
Rafafidi
Regolit
Paper Airplane
Jeremyrush
Valikdu
Mech
Cptadder
Scyto Harmony
Snipehamster
Stringtheory
Admiral Stoic Rum
NoodleNugget
FeatherDust
Somber
Moodyman90
Katarn
Aonee
Kattlarv
tylertoon2
RandomBlank
RoboRed
Quotidian
Icy Shake
Rboy474
Ketchup
WavemasterRyx
Orm
Ametros
OneMoreDaySK
Sindri
MrMagma
O. Hinds
CamoBadger
Derpmind
Kippershy
Meleagridis
SilentCarto
43 posters

Page 16 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Paper Airplane Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Kattlarv wrote: Not as bad as the FoE's "90 % of males are rapists, females are incapable of rape"

wat

I don't recall that in FO:E
Paper Airplane
Paper Airplane
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 8

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Paper Airplane Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:55 pm

SilentCarto wrote:We knew she was already. In Doof's memory orb from Ch. 23,

I meant Psalm. Sorry I should have been more specific.
Paper Airplane
Paper Airplane
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:00 pm

swicked wrote:

Oh, but it is.
It's about hope.

PH is about struggle. Sins, pain and sickness wrack her body, soul and mind, but she goes on, trying to do better. Anything to do better. With every conflict, with every blow, she is made less than what she was. Less and less until, finally, she died.
She's crawling on, no longer sinking so fast, but either way PH is a story about the struggle against the bad within and the bad without.

MNS, however, is about hope. He has been broken, repeatedly and endlessly, since birth. Endless horrible tortures all because of what he is; the least among slaves. He is a unspeakable nothing who does not have an inner pony driving his actions, but an inner slave. There is no reason he should be alive. None. He has nothing driving him but the instinct to obey. His cuties mark is shackles.
But then something happens that inspires him. Inspires him in ways he can't even understand. And he has hope. Pure hope for better things he can understand even less. But they are something and he will go through anything to hold on to them. At least, up through chapter 2, as I haven't read any further than that yet :P

It is incredibly uplifting to me. I really recommend this story.
O_O
Wonderfully put, I never thought of it that way

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 93a29064_Slow_Clap_Your_Pokemon_is_in_danger-s400x300-291489-535

(lol the clapping matches the beat of the song I'm listening to)
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 pm

WaffleSmart wrote:I think if he wasn't selfish, he would have backed off after Blackjack said she was recently raped, and she had a girlfriend. He doesn't seem to care that much about her well being. He's more concerned with his own pleasure.
He did back off. She said she was attached and recovering from trauma, and he went from "can we have sex now?" to "I'll watch your back while you explore." Then suddenly she turns around and offers, and he's very confused, asks if she's sure, but finally agrees after she insists. How is that selfish? Was he supposed to run screaming (through a cloud of killer robots that nearly killed him earlier and a shield he can't open) because she told him sex was off the table?

wat

I don't recall that in FO:E
skimming the edge of appropriate topics...:
And that is all that shall be said by me on the subject in order to hopefully avoid unpleasantness.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:42 pm

re population ratio discussion:
So what I ought to take away from this is that Equestria in the show is fighting a constant total war against eldritch abominations that is either kept secret from the people or taboo to mention?

swicked wrote:Does anyone hear read murky number seven? I think I'm going crazy from how much I love this story, and I've only read two chapters so far.
If FoR is played on normal and PH is on hard, MNS is on freaking nightmare.
I do. While I wouldn't put it on par with PH, I think that it's quite a good story and one of the best FoE fics out there.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Also, does anyone know what
"wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0xaddf7b (thread 003b), starting debugger...
XIO:  fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":3082"
  after 45 requests (45 known processed) with 1 events remaining."
means and how it might be fixed?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:45 pm

O. Hinds wrote:re population ratio discussion:
So what I ought to take away from this is that Equestria in the show is fighting a constant total war against eldritch abominations that is either kept secret from the people or taboo to mention?
Maybe. We still don't have anything other than missing stallions to go on. So why don't any mares fight the eldrich horrors?

Oh. Oh dear.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:55 pm

O. Hinds wrote:re population ratio discussion:
FiM is now officially 100% darker than it appears to be Twilight crazy
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:00 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Also, does anyone know what
"wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0xaddf7b (thread 003b), starting debugger...

never really worked in wine so I'm of no help, sorry
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Hey, are any of you the person running Fo:E games at PolyCon this year? http://www.parzanese.net/polycon/php/games.php?con=12

One of them is _PH_ based, so I figured it was probably somebody I know...
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 pm

swicked wrote:Does anyone hear read murky number seven? I think I'm going crazy from how much I love this story, and I've only read two chapters so far.

Only ever heard you guys mention it. no clue what it's about(besides the fact it falls into the Fo:E category) and to be honest I'm not entirely sure I am even interested.
Half the fics I follow havent updated in forever(mort takes a holiday, Heart of Gold Feathers of steel, *the one about a human necromancer turned into a child and being adopted by luna or whatever*.) And the other fics that do update I havent really been bothered to read. still havent read heroes since like the chapter after she became the batmare's or mare-do-well's(whatever she is called) sidekick. Don't think I could start a new story and continuously read it. PH kinda has me distracted.
I don't know how MNS is, or what it's about, but unless whoever the main character voluntarily amputated his/her limbs after being brutally raped for god knows how long, and most likely without any chemical aid, ALL the while being filled with pretty much any and all types of cancer, suffering from quite possibly blindingly severe pain and more than likely severe blood loss from the amputation process(you don't cut off limbs without losing blood) I doubt MNS has anything on PH

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 pm

stringtheory wrote:

never really worked in wine so I'm of no help, sorry
Eh, it's okay. I'll just keep waiting to hear back from the person who actually made the wrapper.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Poor Boo... for someone that can't actually understand what was happening, being Discorded must be a far worse experience. She doesn't have any way to rationalize how she must have felt in those moments.
Well, I'm sure that in actuality, when Discord stuck his body in Boo's head that she didn't feel anything more than a stuffy ear. On the other hoof... I couldn't pass up an opportunity to completely make things up, and I do see it having the potential for being quite a traumatic experience. As you say, normal ponies can rationalize it as a dream before coping with it as an event that actually happened - where Boo saw it as real, and can't quite come to terms with it being a dream.
Or something like that anyways. *hugs Boo*

SilentCarto wrote:Calamity didn't express any disdain -- his
brother is gay, too. He noted that the Enclave quietly approves of it
because of their limited resources. That culture also largely explains
Glory, Dusk, and Lightning Dancer.

At any rate, I think it's important to note that a character being in
a homosexual relationship doesn't mean they're strictly gay (if BJ
isn't all the proof you need of that). I doubt, for example, that
Caprice is.

Aww... that can't be comfortable. Maybe Discorded!Boo likes grass?
- Oh, I could have sworn he did at least in a small part. I remembered Glory's explanation of the Enclave encouraging homosexuality in light of the limited resources, but I couldn't remember how much of that was strictly PH material.
- Very true.
- She likes alfalfa, and hospital food.

Sindri wrote:I actually noted the strangely abundant
heterosexuality, and I put it in the same category as Kattlarv's
frequent complaint about every rapist in Kkat's work being male.
Kkat's a wonderful author, but tends to use human norms as the baseline
and then ponify things from there instead of building from the ground.
Clamity's disdain is probably a result of his upbringing; in the Enclave
homosexuality is rewarded to reduce resource consumption without
outlawing sex or something crazy like that, so he probably tends to see
gay stallions as "giving in" to the government instead of being
themselves in order to get the encouragements offered. I don't recall
Twist being mentioned in that story...
Yeah, with having LittlePip gay, and considering the usual abundance of same-sex relationships commonly attributed to MLP, it is really unusual just how many heterosexual couples are in FoE.
Well... as Silent pointed out, apparently I was wrong and Calamity was perfectly fine with Life Bloom. Though the idea of pursuing the opposite sex to stick it to the Man seems like an idea that would make sense.
And no, it doesn't seem like Twist was ever mentioned in FoE at all.

Rafafidi wrote:Eventually, Blackjack will find and remove everypony from the EC1101
list and will be the last in the line of sucession, finally able to gain
full access to PH. But for some reason, she won't be able to activate
the process by normal ways. That way, the only remaining way to activate
PH will be finishing Psalm's job, killing herself.
I can totally see Somber writing that T.T
That goes under the assumption that PH is something she would want to activate, which since it has a good chance of being a doomsday weapon, it is very possible she would try very hard not to activate it. That said, it does seem like something Somber could totally do, very easily. And it would hurt. Oh would it hurt.

swicked wrote:Does anyone hear read murky number seven? I think I'm
going crazy from how much I love this story, and I've only read two
chapters so far.
Ah, I do need to add MN7 to my reading queue, and get around to reading Anywhere But Here, Broken Bonds... Pink Eyes, and Wings.
And like 20 other non-FoE stories.
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 pm

NoodleNugget wrote:*Snip*
Not to be rude, but you really can't make that kind of judgement without actually reading the story. Some of us, who have definitely read both stories, say that MNS is also extremely dark. And there are different kinds of darkness, you don't have to copycat PH to be dark. If you can't be bothered to read a story at all, then just don't throw comparisons around please. There are definitely going to be a couple of people who will be compelled to correct you to the minute details, and it's all kinda pointless because at the end of the day you're still not going to bother reading the story.
Ice Crystal wrote:FiM is now officially 100% darker than it appears to be [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 3932362616
Only twice? [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 2113965524
That's actually a good idea for a dark AU fic: An eternal war behind the scenes of Utopia. I'm not sure how believable blaming the war for gender inequality would be, but it could work, if you really like War Stallions. [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 2066584637

Last edited by Derpmind on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm

I read about 3-4 chapters of M#7. It's great, but I completely forgot about it, though. Maybe after I'm done reading the Star Trek:Titan books I'll pick it back up.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Derpmind wrote:
Only twice? Crazy
That's actually a good idea for a dark AU fic: An eternal war behind the scenes of Utopia. I'm not sure how believable blaming the war for gender inequality would be, but it could work, if you really like War Stallions. Big mac
I'm vaguely throwing that idea into my current story, but not so much the gender inequality. I'm putting both stallions and mares as guards (headcanon time: I just say the team didn't want to bother making animations for male and female guards when just the one model would do. alternatively: enchanted armor to make all guards look alike)
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:53 pm

swicked wrote:
NoodleNugget wrote:I don't know how MNS is, or what it's about, but unless whoever the main character voluntarily amputated his/her limbs after being brutally raped for god knows how long, and most likely without any chemical aid, ALL the while being filled with pretty much any and all types of cancer, suffering from quite possibly blindingly severe pain and more than likely severe blood loss from the amputation process(you don't cut off limbs without losing blood) I doubt MNS has anything on PH
Spoiler:
I'd call that an accurate description actually...and it just gets worse and worse for him every chapter, no matter how hard he tries. Lesson to be learned: Murky's life sucks (I don't think 'sucks' is even an adequate description...)
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Derpmind wrote:
*Snip*

But why should I read the story? All the information that I have about it is that whoever the main character is has shackles for a cutiemark and was a slave and had some inspiration or something. other than that I have your words that it is some amazing story and that is just not enough to sell it to me. You guys go "it's great, it's great!" but never explain why and that leaves us who haven't read it going "Ok, now how much of what you are saying is bullshit?" You say it's a different type of dark but you dont explain how. how is it different? A slave that balls up enough to fight his captors? whoop-de-fucking-do! I am working on Puppet Strings where my character is fucking batshit insane.
another thing is, how does it stand out from all the other stories? I know for a fact on fimfiction there are about 20 stories that mimic New Vegas(and I would also toss heroes into that category). How do I know it isnt like every other story out there(besides the basic concept of killing others with guns and downing potions and rad away like it was the only thing to drink in the world)? Again, No one has explained why it is so great other than "oh it's dark."
Maybe you would like me to go get my thetans scanned while I bend over for you? But I digress. who knows? maybe sometime in the immediate future when I grow bored of TF2, D3, and checking this thread every 20 minutes or so, I will wander over to where-ever MNS is and read a chapter and maybe I will wander back here going "you were right."
I hope you don't think I am being rude. I don't mean to be.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

@OHinds I haven't the slightest clue now on how to handle that. Again, good luck.

Murky Number Seven is my second favorite still running FO:E fic. There isn't going to be any sort of super powers to aid him, nor does he have a large scale of friends, so he has to constantly fight for everything.
FO:E seems to me like normal mode, PH is hardcore, and MN7 is nightmare with reduced starting S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and realism mods cranked up to eleven.

Daily Status: Started P90X. So sore. Otherwise fine.

Also, random guess of the day: PH was a planned colony drop to try and get rid of EoS.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 pm

swicked wrote:
NoodleNugget wrote:I don't know how MNS is, or what it's about, but unless whoever the main character voluntarily amputated his/her limbs after being brutally raped for god knows how long, and most likely without any chemical aid, ALL the while being filled with pretty much any and all types of cancer, suffering from quite possibly blindingly severe pain and more than likely severe blood loss from the amputation process(you don't cut off limbs without losing blood) I doubt MNS has anything on PH
Spoiler:

Thank you for a... sort of description of it. Doesn't sound like a lot happens though. definitly makes me raise an eyebrow if only because the way you describe it makes me go "wha?"

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Ice Crystal wrote:
swicked wrote:
Spoiler:
I'd call that an accurate description actually...and it just gets worse and worse for him every chapter, no matter how hard he tries. Lesson to be learned: Murky's life sucks (I don't think 'sucks' is even an adequate description...)
Spoiler:
Aonee
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 pm

NoodleNugget wrote:
Derpmind wrote:
*Snip*

Well, for starters, Murky doesn't start off with anything outstanding. He has low stats and no freebies. It also is interesting to see how others treat him in Fillydelphia just for being pegasus, as in their mindset pegasus -> enclave jerks. He doesn't get to actually make instant friends and has to earn the respect of his first one through a trial by fire (not literally, and I'm not counting the mare that was nice to him). Plus the story runs on a timeline, being connected to the FO:E, so there's only so much he can do from [REDACTED] to the [REDACTED].

Last edited by OneMoreDaySK on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:13 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:
NoodleNugget wrote:
Derpmind wrote:
*Snip*

Well, for starters, Murky doesn't start off with anything outstanding. He has low stats and no freebies. It also is interesting to see how others treat him in Fillydelphia just for being pegasus, as in their mindset pegasus -> enclave jerks. He doesn't get to actually make instant friends and has to earn the respect of his first one through a trial by fire (not literally, and I'm not counting the mare that was nice to him). Plus the story runs on a timeline, being connected to the FO:E, so there's only so much he can do from [REDACTED] to the [REDACTED].

Again, thank you and "wha?"

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Aonee wrote:
Spoiler:
Must...catch...up (almost done with 5)
Spoiler:
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

swicked wrote:Look, Noodlenugget, I'm not going to entertain you on this idiocy any more.

Read the first two pages. The story isn't like PH, it had me immediately. It's not like it'd take you hours of your precious time to do so. You still think he's crap and we are, apparently, a bunch of scientologists (I mean, what?) then don't read it. I, amazingly, don't care enough to indoctrinate you in something I love so much, so quickly.

Alternatively, for the shear entertainment value, assume I'm not a reader of Project Horizons and try and convince me why I should read it. I'm curious how YOU would try and convince someone who's seriously entertaining the thought that we're all just bullshitting, as you put it.

I'm sorry, I'm just hesitant. I just don't like people forcing things upon me. Like they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, hahahaha [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 3463467734 [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 16 4206338362.
I'm sorry. If you like we can just drop this topic. I don't mean to offend.

*edit*Also I have the descriptive abilities of a three year old. I doubt I could convince you to use a different type of toothpaste let alone convince you to devote who knows how many hours to a story about pastel colored ponies shooting at each other and trying to figure out how some 200 year old haunted computer program works.

Last edited by NoodleNugget on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:23 pm

swicked wrote:
Spoiler:
Why the hell would you break a slave's bones? All that does is prevent them from working.

Everything specific I hear about it is just "it's dark, everybody hates him, he has crap stats and nobody helping, his life sucks so much..."
It just sounds like wangst and gorn instead of real drama. I'll check it out eventually, but these descriptions are the opposite of making me want to read it.

Edit: sorry, that'd be Deus Angst Machina, not Wangst. Need to keep my tropes straight.

Last edited by Sindri on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Ice Crystal wrote:
Aonee wrote:
Spoiler:
Must...catch...up (almost done with 5)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Aonee
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 pm

swicked wrote:
NoodleNugget wrote:I'm sorry. If you like we can just drop this topic. I don't mean to offend.
NoodleNugget wrote:You guys go "it's great, it's great!" but never explain why and that leaves us who haven't read it going "Ok, now how much of what you are saying is bullshit?"
NoodleNugget wrote:Maybe you would like me to go get my thetans scanned while I bend over for you?

You're not very good at "not offending" thing.

I'm sorry.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 pm

XIO: fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":3082"
Well, from what I can tell, it tried to access something at a memory address, but it wasn't there because of some error preventing it from being inputted from a server with port :3082. Oh, and it tried accessing said server 45 times.

I haven't a damn clue how to fix it, though, sorry. Crazy

Last edited by RoboRed on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 pm

A fan war? Here?
This needs to stop.
Okay, its not a fan war, but call it what you want, but this is getting ridiculous.

Give MNS a shot if you want something different than other FOEFics, which is at least one thing it does well. There isn't much point in arguing over this topic.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 30  Next