Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+55
Karazu
awesomeluna
Bootleg
Syroc
Deynarth
SS117
Sonic55514
kingkodus
BaronRed
Heart of Blades
StoneSlinger88
Tanki
Rayndalf
Train Dodger
Downloaded Skill
Aonee
OBS.GS.§S
Moodyman90
Dutcher
Caoimhe
Revan Seiei
Camsy
neoaustin
Shady
Silver136
Stormhopper
Dekshuduph
chinman
JadedPony
Technowolf
Vergil
MSCA
Valikdu
CD
Exodus Hero
Somber
Retl
WavemasterRyx
Meleagridis
RoboRed
The Tainted One
Borsuq
Loud_Taffy
O. Hinds
FeatherDust
Luminous Lead
geekladd
Evilgidgit
Derpmind
Harmony Ltd.
SilentCarto
LunarWaltz
Scienza
OneMoreDaySK
Icy Shake
59 posters

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by RoboRed Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Tangentially related: look at whose tumblr got featured on EQD: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/04/tumblr-spotlight-requiem-docs-stuck-in.html
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm

RoboRed wrote:Tangentially related: look at whose tumblr got featured on EQD: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/04/tumblr-spotlight-requiem-docs-stuck-in.html
The blurb:
While we're very accustomed to the bright and happy world our ponies live in, we do know that their world is quite perilous outside the cities and that old age and death are indeed a part of their lives. And when all is said and done it's up to one pony to take care of it all. Meet Requiem, a somber pony in charge of the dead along with related services who is answering questions from the living about her life and her world. If you've been looking to explore the sadder parts of Equestria this is certainly the tumblr for you.

I have to assume it was intentional.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Thought that Littlepip encountered some active ghouls underwater in Canterlot. Need to double check that, though.
I don't remember that. She ran into some Canterlot ghouls down in the Zebratown storm drains, but we know they don't need much of anything to keep going.

Meleagridis wrote:Dammit, Hinds. One has literal dragon killing cannons on his side and the other is eternal. The innuendo here is practically limitless. What have you done?
Heck, Discord already made the "compensating" joke in the text itself.

Steel Rain is totally the bitch.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:03 am

Icy Shake wrote:
RoboRed wrote:Tangentially related: look at whose tumblr got featured on EQD: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/04/tumblr-spotlight-requiem-docs-stuck-in.html
The blurb:
While we're very accustomed to the bright and happy world our ponies live in, we do know that their world is quite perilous outside the cities and that old age and death are indeed a part of their lives. And when all is said and done it's up to one pony to take care of it all. Meet Requiem, a somber pony in charge of the dead along with related services who is answering questions from the living about her life and her world. If you've been looking to explore the sadder parts of Equestria this is certainly the tumblr for you.

I have to assume it was intentional.
Aye, I noticed that. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:28 am

SilentCarto wrote:
But that's exactly what Discord did! They made the point that having half his soul severed removed his morality, but Discord snagged the other half of his soul out of the Tokomare and put it back in him -- and then flashed him away before Cogs could catch on to what he just did or Snips could blow his cover.

Exactly- he handled this Standard Fantasy Situation in an all too characteristically Blackjack manner, one that kind of highlights her unconventional (and chaotic) methods. He gave the monster a second chance to Do Better rather than just putting them down. All while throwing himself in harms way to protect others- not as literally as Blackjack taking a hailstorm of bullets, but turning those shells into bouquets seems to have taken as much juice as weathering them. He was dying, pretending to be strong, in a gambit to help others. I think his final scene was the perfect culmination of Blackjack's positive influence on him. I really, really like that scene.

On a vaguely related note, is Snips's blue fire due to soul mumbo jumbo or the fact that his bones were exposed to the Hightower dirty bomb? Is he going to need a radsuit in order to interact with others?
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Woops, I misremembered. I thought he had a blue fire like the Hightower superghouls, but it's just soul glow.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Meleagridis wrote:Exactly- he handled this Standard Fantasy Situation in an all too characteristically Blackjack manner, one that kind of highlights her unconventional (and chaotic) methods. He gave the monster a second chance to Do Better rather than just putting them down. All while throwing himself in harms way to protect others- not as literally as Blackjack taking a hailstorm of bullets, but turning those shells into bouquets seems to have taken as much juice as weathering them. He was dying, pretending to be strong, in a gambit to help others. I think his final scene was the perfect culmination of Blackjack's positive influence on him. I really, really like that scene.
Hm. I hadn't looked at it like that. Nice insight.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:38 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Meleagridis wrote:Exactly- he handled this Standard Fantasy Situation in an all too characteristically Blackjack manner, one that kind of highlights her unconventional (and chaotic) methods. He gave the monster a second chance to Do Better rather than just putting them down. All while throwing himself in harms way to protect others- not as literally as Blackjack taking a hailstorm of bullets, but turning those shells into bouquets seems to have taken as much juice as weathering them. He was dying, pretending to be strong, in a gambit to help others. I think his final scene was the perfect culmination of Blackjack's positive influence on him. I really, really like that scene.
Hm.  I hadn't looked at it like that.  Nice insight.
This! That is very interesting.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
I wish I could say I'm not sorry but I can't:
You can't do anything to disprove this theory until the new chapter comes out, and you probably won't be able to convince me otherwise until some time afterwards.
I like this.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Travel, a busy week, and a new chapter really delayed me getting through this: I started last Sunday. On the plus side, chapter 65 kind of explains some things that bothered me about the dealer in 42.

Chapter Forty Two Running Thoughts:
Chapter Forty Two Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Forty Two Editing:
Other Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Travel, a busy week, and a new chapter really delayed me getting through this: I started last Sunday. On the plus side, chapter 65 kind of explains some things that bothered me about the dealer in 42.

Chapter Forty Two Running Thoughts:
Chapter Forty Two Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Forty Two Editing:
Other Editing:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

"cause it makes me hum"
I still think that we should have used "transformer" there instead of "turbine", but apparently most people don't quickly think of transformer hum, or even electrical transformers, when they encounter the word. I still just do not get giant humanoid robots…

"semicolon -> comma"
I also had to change "drew" to "drawing", but I do think that it works better now.

""that bridged" or "bridging""
…Why? I'm sorry, but that looks wrong.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:42 pm

O. Hinds wrote:"cause it makes me hum"
I still think that we should have used "transformer" there instead of "turbine", but apparently most people don't quickly think of transformer hum, or even electrical transformers, when they encounter the word.  I still just do not get giant humanoid robots…

"semicolon -> comma"
I also had to change "drew" to "drawing", but I do think that it works better now.

""that bridged" or "bridging""
…Why?  I'm sorry, but that looks wrong.
Transformer certainly works, but sometimes you need to make allowances. Personally, though, I always associated Scotch more with mechanical works than electrical.
As for that last one, based on the text of the sentence . . . I'm stumped. I have no idea how I got to the suggestion I did.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:01 am

Icy Shake wrote:Transformer certainly works, but sometimes you need to make allowances. Personally, though, I always associated Scotch more with mechanical works than electrical.
Aye, but I associate turbines with whining, not humming.

Icy Shake wrote:As for that last one, based on the text of the sentence . . . I'm stumped. I have no idea how I got to the suggestion I did.
That happens to me sometimes.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:28 am

Re: Virtues
Blackjack might have one assigned to her from the fans, but as of yet she has to realize it. (and do the rainbow eye thing)

Re: Discord
Sad that he's gone. But I'm still having a tiny glimmer of hope that he's pulling a Loki and is going to show up again.

Also, no comment on my Xehanort parallel?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Maybe Discord can be resurrected through Flux since its his blood.
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:Maybe Discord can be resurrected through Flux since its his blood.
I'm betting his whole show was an illusion and he's still manifested in something. Maybe not Boo anymore but something.
Silver136
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:23 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Re: Discord
Sad that he's gone. But I'm still having a tiny glimmer of hope that he's pulling a Loki and is going to show up again.
Eh... I'm split on that.  While it would be nice to have him back and quite in character, I feel it would ruin the narrative impact of his death scene.  If he did show up later, he'd need to do so as a tiny, nearly powerless fragment of his former self -- otherwise it would feel like he allowed the others to leave with BJ's hijacked body instead of fighting to his utmost to put a stop to this.

No, I feel strongly that putting Luna's soul into the body was a devious master-stroke that will prove to be her downfall.  Not an instant kill, but an incurable poisoning.

Also, side note, when Loki pulled the death gambit, it was just too bloody obvious.  It was all I could do not to jump up and start yelling at Thor "He's obviously faking, you idiot!"  I don't think I'm so super-insightful that I just picked up on that when nobody else did, it was frankly an eye-rollingly obvious ploy.

This, not so much.  This really did seem like Discord threw everything he had into that one last trick.  And I think it would weaken that to have him come back later.

Sorry, I played KH1 and 2, and I'm pretty strongly of the opinion that they are fun from a gameplay perspective and have some good cutscenes, but overall the plot is a horrendous mish-mashed tangle that keeps going back to retcon itself on critical plot revelations like what Kingdom Hearts even is.

I'm fine with a big plot twist where the heroes find out that something they had accepted as fact is actually wrong, but you can only really do that once in a while, and only once per fact, before it just seems like the author ran out of ideas and is flailing around wildly.  Add to that the fact that they seem to have put some of those critical plot points in half a dozen games across three or four platforms and it's just too much work to keep up with, for no real payoff.  KH lives on the gimmick of putting your hero into different Disney-owned properties, and there's nothing wrong with that; it's a good gimmick.  But that means the plots should be pretty straightforward with a minimum amount of exposition needed to make sense of them, like the movies on which the game is based.  Just get out of the way so we can enjoy playing with Tron or Simba or whatever.  Instead, we get a big plate of plot-spaghetti, and half the cutscenes are long, rambling discussions that don't manage to actually explain what's going on and who's benefiting from it, which I expect (but don't really enjoy) from Metal Gear but not from a game based on children's movies... okay I need to stop ranting now.

So all of which is to say even though I played both of the main games, I'm not entirely sure what the parallel you're drawing is trying to say, or even which version of Xehanort you're talking about, because each game seems to redefine who he really is and what he really wants.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:39 pm

FeatherDust wrote:
OneMoreDaySK wrote:Re: Discord
Eh... I'm split on that.  While it would be nice to have him back and quite in character, I feel it would ruin the narrative impact of his death scene.  If he did show up later, he'd need to do so as a tiny, nearly powerless fragment of his former self -- otherwise it would feel like he allowed the others to leave with BJ's hijacked body instead of fighting to his utmost to put a stop to this.

No, I feel strongly that putting Luna's soul into the body was a devious master-stroke that will prove to be her downfall.  Not an instant kill, but an incurable poisoning.

Also, side note, when Loki pulled the death gambit, it was just too bloody obvious.  It was all I could do not to jump up and start yelling at Thor "He's obviously faking, you idiot!"  I don't think I'm so super-insightful that I just picked up on that when nobody else did, it was frankly an eye-rollingly obvious ploy.

This, not so much.  This really did seem like Discord threw everything he had into that one last trick.  And I think it would weaken that to have him come back later.

Sorry, I played KH1 and 2, and I'm pretty strongly of the opinion that they are fun from a gameplay perspective and have some good cutscenes, but overall the plot is a horrendous mish-mashed tangle that keeps going back to retcon itself on critical plot revelations like what Kingdom Hearts even is.

I'm fine with a big plot twist where the heroes find out that something they had accepted as fact is actually wrong, but you can only really do that once in a while, and only once per fact, before it just seems like the author ran out of ideas and is flailing around wildly.  Add to that the fact that they seem to have put some of those critical plot points in half a dozen games across three or four platforms and it's just too much work to keep up with, for no real payoff.  KH lives on the gimmick of putting your hero into different Disney-owned properties, and there's nothing wrong with that; it's a good gimmick.  But that means the plots should be pretty straightforward with a minimum amount of exposition needed to make sense of them, like the movies on which the game is based.  Just get out of the way so we can enjoy playing with Tron or Simba or whatever.  Instead, we get a big plate of plot-spaghetti, and half the cutscenes are long, rambling discussions that don't manage to actually explain what's going on and who's benefiting from it, which I expect (but don't really enjoy) from Metal Gear but not from a game based on children's movies... okay I need to stop ranting now.

So all of which is to say even though I played both of the main games, I'm not entirely sure what the parallel you're drawing is trying to say, or even which version of Xehanort you're talking about, because each game seems to redefine who he really is and what he really wants.
I love the Kingdom Hearts series, but the overcomplicatedness of the story and Xehanort coming back in more ridiculous ways gets a bit annoying (time travel via really complicated means!)

But I would like to say that perhaps Discord is pulling a Loki on everyone.
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Haven't had the time to personally get through all the games (KH 1 & 2, CoM), but hearing the rest described by my brothers and sisters pretty much saying that everything plotwise was a result of Xehanort having a hand in it. What I'm trying to draw is that practically everything that happens in Blackjack's incredibly messed up life was somehow attributed to Cogitum. Her original escape and part 1 was Sanguine working under Cogs, Steel Rain works for Cogs, <strike>DBZebra</strike> the legate seemingly works for Cogs, and now two companions who know how hard it is to have a messed up existance backstab her to work for Cogs. Didn't they learn anything from the "Solve Everything with a Messiah/Single Solution" promises made in the past that backfired? Or are they just too desperate at this point to not care that Blackjack's been trying the entire time to disprove that point by having ponies, diamond dogs, and others work together without the need of a goddess/RedEye lording over them?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Just finished that last chapter.

OH MY GOD WHAT MIND = BLOWN
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:55 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Haven't had the time to personally get through all the games (KH 1 & 2, CoM), but hearing the rest described by my brothers and sisters pretty much saying that everything plotwise was a result of Xehanort having a hand in it....
What I'm trying to draw is that practically everything that happens in Blackjack's incredibly messed up life was somehow attributed to Cogitum.

That's not wrong, but it gets more and more ridiculous as you go along in terms of how convoluted things have to be to justify Xehanort being behind it all -- both in terms of the bizarre amounts of virtually precognitive knowledge of how people he doesn't know will react to things, and in terms of the lengths they have to go to for him to show up after being killed over and over.

I don't think the comparison is very apt. It doesn't take much to see, in retrospect, how Cogs was manipulating Blackjack with those tracking tags, where Xehanort seems to be virtually omniscient to pull this stuff off.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:Maybe Discord can be resurrected through Flux since its his blood.
I was just wondering today if BJ could safely fire Folly with her Flux-derived body.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
I was just wondering today if BJ could safely fire Folly with her Flux-derived body.
Presumably, yes. I wonder whether she's relatively taint/radiation immune now.

Also, will she even be able to fight now? As a fresh clone, she probably wouldn't have the same muscle mass as her old body without going into the effect of losing her augments. Ditto for tolerances for alcohol and chems.

Hell, she's probably (physically) a virgin again.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:04 am

Scienza wrote:
Presumably, yes. I wonder whether she's relatively taint/radiation immune now.

Weren't there giant bloated blank monsters wandering around where BJ found boo?

Scienza wrote:Hell, she's probably (physically) a virgin again.

If her hymen survived the fall. Physically at the moment she's more an it being a computer and all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 am

swicked wrote:
Scienza wrote:Also, will she even be able to fight now? As a fresh clone, she probably wouldn't have the same muscle mass as her old body without going into the effect of losing her augments. Ditto for tolerances for alcohol and chems.
As you'll note at the bottom of the chapter (or, at least, as was there when we finished editing), "new character".
She's lost basically everything.
Is magical knowledge and ability physical or mental? In other words, should she be able to cast the same spells now, or does she need to physically build her horn "muscles" again to be able to cast magic bullet and whatnot?

Last edited by Scienza on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:43 am

@swicked:
"Footnote: >Start New Game: Y/N?", actually, but it's the same general meaning.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am

swicked wrote:
Scienza wrote:Also, will she even be able to fight now? As a fresh clone, she probably wouldn't have the same muscle mass as her old body without going into the effect of losing her augments. Ditto for tolerances for alcohol and chems.
As you'll note at the bottom of the chapter (or, at least, as was there when we finished editing), "new character".

So she's at level one now? Well. Next chapter is the end of Project Horizons, and then we'll start PH2: Electric Boogaloo Harder.  Twilight Sparkle Luna

I miss the end of chapter perks.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 am

Took some time digging trough the chapter and the following comment thread, probably going to read it again because my head feels a bit Derpy Hooves 

Not an editing matter but two personal suggestion that sounded decently in my head:

Edit: Haha Derpmind it appears we were posting a about perks at the same time
Shady
Shady
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 am

Derpmind wrote:
swicked wrote:

So she's at level one now? Well. Next chapter is the end of Project Horizons, and then we'll start PH2: Electric Boogaloo Harder.  Twilight Sparkle Luna

I miss the end of chapter perks.
I'd just like to point out that you don't actually have evidence that Blackjack is still alive. :D

Shady wrote:Took some time digging trough the chapter and the following comment thread, probably going to read it again because my head feels a bit Derpy Hooves 

Not an editing matter but two personal suggestion that sounded decently in my head:

Edit: Haha Derpmind it appears we were posting a about perks at the same time
Hm, I think that those are the sorts of decision that Somber would need to make.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am

Level one, no weapons, no allies, all enemies are scaled to her previous rolled character's level. Fun times.

Only way I can see her getting compensation is to get magically boosted through the roof, now that the augmentations have been removed and anyone at the moment can just knock her around effortlessly.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next