Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+25
Plasticube
Derpmind
CamoBadger
Penby
Admiral Stoic Rum
Game Master
RobtheZombie
Ketchup
Aonee
Kippershy
Ironmonger
brony all alone
O. Hinds
RoboRed
Tytan
Kattlarv
Harmony Ltd.
Scyto Harmony
Valikdu
Katarn
Scienza
Moodyman90
Stringtheory
cb5
Frost
29 posters

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:07 pm

http://derpiboo.ru/445612
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by cb5 Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Kattlarv wrote:
Tytan wrote:@Katt, you're mistaken. She doesn't have a hardon, she has a murder boner.
Ah, I see. They're very similar in firmness though xP

@Frost: You know, like "all elves shoot bows and love the forest", "all dwarves dig in mines", "all orcs are retarded, bloodthristy arglebargles", "all women are stay at home wives", "hollywood black man" or "all heroic men are Caucasian, dark hair bold and brave.". Stereotypes or one sided things. Or PH's extreme: Every single wasteland mare has been raped and beaten, but as they are all women, they know and are better than men, so they don't sink to that level. And every single wasteland stallion is capable and willing to do rape, along with being selfish. Single, unique story characters not included.
Okay I have to correct some shit here.  A lot of stereotypes originate from mass media in that companies and such have control over what is being said.  I have to constantly tell people in advertising or if someone wants something done that something is not cool in a manner that they will be able to understand and not get mad and go somewhere else for a ad or such.

The problem with how the people who own companies want their mass media and/or ads summarized in one picture:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Enhanced-buzz-wide-4988-1367889343-23

It's not, "Oh my god rape culture" or "oh my god society promotes sexism" or anything of the sort, it's that a lot of companies are ran by fucking assholes that will fire you on the spot if you call them out for being such assholes.

You can't blame the employees at the companies cause they just want to get paid.  In the real world it's super fucking hard to change something in business if you know something is racist or sexist cause if you call them up and have a talk with them and the employee passively agrees then it means it's the person who owns the business that is the fucktard pushing for it.  The problem with that is that if it's the person that actually owns the company than chances are they have the mentality of, "I own this company I can call them ****** all I want!  I own this company I can say men should hit their wives all I want!".

To be honest I do try to change this all the time and talk to the person commissioning to try and change a ad or such.  The problem is that if you want to change something in business you have to massively bullshit your way into making them change their minds.  If you so much as mention a peep about why you actually want the ad changed they'll yell at you, "I'LL CALL THEM ***** ALL I WANT" and then slam the phone down.

The reason why sexism and that in mass media is going down isn't necessarily cause "society isn't sexist anymore", it's that people like me whose entire job revolves around bullshitting people don't want to get mass called from angry people so we bullshit the people paying us to change their minds.

If you really want to change society and stop sexism in mass media then get organized and call actual business owners and that who are promoting sexism or such.  Calling employees doesn't work cause if they don't listen to their boss and instead listen to you they'll get fired.  If you call the actual person who owns the company and call them on their personal number in mass eventually they'll cave from public pressure.

Tl:dr; getting mad on the internet about sexism or racism or what have you doesn't actually stop companies from promoting it. So if you want to change the real world the best advice I have to you is bring up your concerns to owners of companies promoting sexism or racism. (side note: doing so only works if you actually know how to bullshit someone)
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Scyto Harmony wrote:
Tytan wrote:
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:@Kim
You know, there are a lot of exceptions to that rule about PH - non-main characters, or even recurring characters, included. It's a trend in it, and I know you think that doesn't make sense because of the gender ratios in the show and you don't like it 'cos of a litany of reasons, but it's absolutely not the rule.
And I can't help but think the number of rape cases would climb if the world would come to an end. Without the taboos and mores of modern society that keep it from happening more often it would become a lot more frequent. And while Katt may disagree and though its not true in every case the average man is stronger than the average woman. And if it were a Fallout sort of setting you'd kind of expect roving bands of raiders that have no trouble with that sort of thing.

*rereads what he just wrote*

God that's depressing.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect.
I don't think anyone is arguing against that, not even Kkat. I think Kim is pointing out how there's way too much emphasis on 'people get raped'. Edit: In PH, I mean.
No, the problem is the emphasis on rape by stallions and the relative lack of mention of rape by mares, yes?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:59 pm

cb5 wrote:*snip*
We're talking about sexism and rape in art, not avertising. I'm fairly confident virtually no one here gives a fuck about advertising
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
cb5 wrote:*snip*
We're talking about sexism and rape in art, not advertising. I'm fairly confident virtually no one here gives a fuck about advertising
Actually, it's a viable career path for me, post-college. Theoretically. And advertising's part of the popular media, in its unfortunate, ultra-commercial way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 pm

For fellow neckbeards like myself who have an interest in medieval war and weaponry, this might interest you:

Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scyto Harmony Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:30 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Scyto Harmony wrote:
Tytan wrote:
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:@Kim
You know, there are a lot of exceptions to that rule about PH - non-main characters, or even recurring characters, included. It's a trend in it, and I know you think that doesn't make sense because of the gender ratios in the show and you don't like it 'cos of a litany of reasons, but it's absolutely not the rule.
And I can't help but think the number of rape cases would climb if the world would come to an end. Without the taboos and mores of modern society that keep it from happening more often it would become a lot more frequent. And while Katt may disagree and though its not true in every case the average man is stronger than the average woman. And if it were a Fallout sort of setting you'd kind of expect roving bands of raiders that have no trouble with that sort of thing.

*rereads what he just wrote*

God that's depressing.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect.
I don't think anyone is arguing against that, not even Kkat. I think Kim is pointing out how there's way too much emphasis on 'people get raped'. Edit: In PH, I mean.
No, the problem is the emphasis on rape by stallions and the relative lack of mention of rape by mares, yes?
That too, which is also a problem in that 'real-life' thing.
Scyto Harmony
Scyto Harmony
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 155

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Yeeeesssss. Ziltoid Radio's got a fourth episode out. Blah blah, horrible and offensive, blah blah, poop jokes, blah blah, wildly divergent music. You know the drill. =P

Back to top Go down

Post by brony all alone Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:18 pm

from saturday to monday i will be going camping. therefore i will not be on my phone as much as i usually am. tomorrow staying home to prepare. me and 2 other of my friends are going. ill still check the forum from time to time.
brony all alone
brony all alone
Pegasus

Brohoof! : -1

Character List:
Name: RazorWing
Sex: Male
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Simple, elegant, and efficient.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Simple, elegant, and efficient.
I'd have to go dig up the numbers, but don't prison jurisdictions that likewise focus on therapy, reeducation and aiding in job placement for inmates tend to have way lower repeat-offender rates than those who focus on old-school beat-'em-straight pushments?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
I'd have to go dig up the numbers, but don't prison jurisdictions that likewise focus on therapy, reeducation and aiding in job placement for inmates tend to have way lower repeat-offender rates than those who focus on old-school beat-'em-straight pushments?
That is true actually. The reason being is that our current prison system is a business and isn't set up to actually reform prisoners. In fact it's bad business to have people not commit crimes.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Not only is it fact, but it is common sense, I'd say.

If you release after 5-10 years of prison someone who went into it for drug abuse and trafficking, and he's / she's still untreated, has no money, no useful skill, and has been so psychologically beat up by life in general and internment in particular as to be unable to function as a member of the "outside" society ; of courses the chances of criminal relapse are going to be high.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Basically it's a case of "treating people as human beings and trying to actively help them fix their lives actually improve their conditions and how productive they are as members of society ? Who woudja thinkadit ?!"
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Basically it's a case of "treating people as human beings and trying to actively help them fix their lives actually improve their conditions and how productive they are as members of society ? Who woudja thinkadit ?!"
It ties in rather coincidentally with the military discussion we had just yesterday--you don't need to go around beating people in line with a stick when just using a bit of tact and sense will do.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Now apply this to international politics. [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Emot-fuckyou
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Related :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Harmony, it hardly sounds like your hard-on for being hard on crime is very hard. :| I actually have friends who think that the justice system is too lenient. But they take too many of their positions from tumblr rants, so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Harmony, it hardly sounds like your hard-on for being hard on crime is very hard.
I can show ya hard if ya want. Just lemme introduce you to Miss Rebar.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:58 pm

You remember that scene from the movie "2012" where the President of the United States of America get smashed by an aircraft carrier ?

This is the song that plays in my head every time I see that scene :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4slliAtQU

As an aside... Man, has it been three years already since " allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"2012" came out ?"

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I can show ya hard if ya want.
Oh, my.

Unrelated: another vidya about medieval warfare of likely interest to no one but myself: 
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Harmony, it hardly sounds like your hard-on for being hard on crime is very hard.
I can show ya hard if ya want. Just lemme introduce you to Miss Rebar.
Weird, I was actually watching a video of rebar in class. Well, actually it was like one of the first movies ever recorded, the rebar was incidental, but there ya go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I can't remember if it has been posted here already or not :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bam7wXFuiSY
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:41 pm

(I'm digging through my favorite folder, to explain the video dump)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJSFlMCTXE8
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:55 pm

luna plays "moonlight sonata" (on glass harp):
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:56 pm

swicked wrote:Its purpose is to discourage crime and punish criminals.
The problem being that, as it has been showed times and times again in studies, it doesn't work. The same way the Death Penalty has no impact on preventing crime.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:06 pm

For most prison terms, the only end result is that criminals come out even more violent, but now well-connected, probably stronger (nothing to do all day but work out and read) and with few to no prospects of a legitimate job.

Unrelated once more:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWi6-BcGCQ
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:15 pm

swicked wrote:...yes, because we aren't trying to reform them. I already said this.
I understand. What we're saying is that we should be, because, some exceptions aside, A.) The current system doesn't work and is simply a massive burden on the tax-payers, and B.) the average criminal, if properly treated and reformed, can be made a productive member of society (you yourself have alluded to many crimes being related to drug abuse)
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm

swicked wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:
swicked wrote:Its purpose is to discourage crime and punish criminals.
The problem being that, as it has been showed times and times again in studies, it doesn't work. The same way the Death Penalty has no impact on preventing crime.
Obviously, the purpose of the death penalty is to remove violent criminals from society permanently.
Edit: sorry, I wasn't clear. The death penalty is a punishment.
It has been shown that lifelong custody is actually cheaper, in term of taxpayer dollars spent, than the whole process associated with the death penalty in the US.

Also, it carries less risk of killing an innocent brought there because of a corrupt and biased judicial system.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next