Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+44
Harmony Ltd.
hawkeye92
jacky2734
Scootayay
Quotidian
Jeremyrush
Randombuttons
Luminous Lead
FoolNeim
Meleagridis
Scyto Harmony
Karasu
Downloaded Skill
RandomBlank
Necr0maNceR
MrMagma
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Vergil
CannonFodder
Plasticube
Snipehamster
WavemasterRyx
WovenTales
Ametros
Somber
Icy Shake
CamoBadger
Stringtheory
RoboRed
Valikdu
tylertoon2
Caoimhe
Admiral Stoic Rum
Ketchup
O. Hinds
Kattlarv
Cptadder
OneMoreDaySK
Ironmonger
Frost
IncoherentOrange
SilentCarto
48 posters

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Empty [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:37 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Sw1tch10
Source

Welcome to the Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Thread!
This is the place to discuss Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons, a Fallout/MLP:FiM crossover fic by Somber. Story discussion is on the left, group therapy to the right. Please try to schedule your emotional breakdowns when they don't conflict with anyone else's.

Rules
We have just a few simple rules here.

1. Don't put down Somber.
  2. Project Horizons is a grimdark fic which deals with adult topics, so we might discuss subjects that some readers may find uncomfortable. Be mature about it.
  3. If Somber or a member of the editing team says to end a discussion, please do so.
  4. Spoilers abound. If you're not current on the fic, we recommend that you catch up before you read on.
  5. Expect random discussions that may or may not have anything to do with the story.
  6. Have fun!

People You Should Know
Somber: The author of Project Horizons, creator of Blackjack, maker of awesomeness, is a small gray mare who lives in the head of a guy named David. Ignore her claims of suckage.
Bronode, O. Hinds, and Snipehamster: Your editing team, presented in alphabetical order. They make awesome writing look all shiny and pretty.
Kkat: The author of the original Fallout: Equestria. Not a participant in this discussion (yet), but you should be aware of her anyway. If you haven't read FOE, why are you even here? Go! Read!

Somber's Tip Jar
Thank-yous of the monetary variety may be made through PayPal. Simply click on Send Money, send it to David13ushey@gmail.com and mark it as a personal gift.

Story Links
GoogleDocs chapter index - Links to every chapter, plus FOE and FOEPH resources, media, and story download formats.
.epub Format - Thanks to Scorch_Mechanic.
LaTeX ebook .pdf - Thanks to ThePowersGang.
Nallar's Fanfic Archive - An auto-updated collection of fics offered in a variety of formats including Kindle .mobi, .epub, and .html.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Mister Frost wrote:IRL I favor shotguns, carbines and knives. I know nothing about X-COM

In XCOM, you have four classes, which are:

Assault, which uses shotguns or assault rifles and favor close-quarters and accomodate defensive or critical hit focus.

Heavy, which uses light machine guns and rocket launchers, with abilities that favor either weapon.

Sniper, which uses, of course, sniper rifles, with abilities that focus on their ability to work alone or to support the team.

And Support, which uses assault rifles, with a smoke grenade, and has abilities that focus on that or the Medikit backpack item.

Oh, and OMD-SK, play Ironman mode, so you can kill us off for real!

Last edited by IncoherentOrange on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Frost Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Sounds like I'd be Assault, then
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Assault.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Two assaults, two shiv. Ironmanning, trying my hardest to keep you all friggin alive. You all will survive, even if I have t'throw redshirt after redshirt into the grinder. Well, at least shivs I can rebuild.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:51 pm

On Steam.

Ironmonger: "I went to Iran."
Ironmonger: "That doesn't make any sense."
Ironmonger: "What?"
Ironmonger: "You ran to where?"
Raymark: "Mother fucker i said I went to Iran"
Ironmonger: "How bout you walk"
Raymark: "Cause walking is for the elderly and hipsters"

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Is there anything like this in X-COM?

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion Saigadrumcont004we0

That and the ACR are my favorite weapons
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:59 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Cptadder wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
I figured he wanted to give it an explosive that could make a shockwave within the body since, as you say, fragmentation would be useless. To do that, he needs magic. I mentioned 20mm being the start point for useful explosive loadings earlier.
Edit: Oh, and he wanted to save metal. Not sure why he'd need to, a bullet is very small.
So make it a rifle grenade, it's quite easy to mount up to 40mm grenades from any standard 6mm or above rifle and explosives don't need to move fast for infantry use.
A grenade rifle as a military's primary close quarters combat firearm?
I think he meant something like this.
Ah, I see. Still, though, that and a rifle to fire it from does not seem like the ideal general-issue firearm for use inside buildings or cramped shipboard conditions.
They don't require a rifle to fire, it's just that rifles are handy to launch them accurately since you can easily mount the spring leaf pop up ranging sight which you really can't do in pistols and smgs. However they do exist for both pistols and smgs, they are unwieldy however and the lack of being able to brace it against something means they kick like a mule... no pun intended.

Still if you want to use this thing in ships you don't want explosives because that ruins your ability to capture ships intact, as for standard buildings don't you want penetration not explosives with explosives role be handled by grenades?

*Still catching up on the thread fyi.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:07 pm

@Swicked: So... does this mean you'll have to take a job as a security guard? xP And my back is almost functional, again.

And sorta scrap that last part, some loose sends are still left, said it was finished since I had plans to finish it, but as said... more than one thing messed up ^=^'

@Iron: Come now, this isn't the first time I've seen a reaction like this hehe.

@Cao: Well, I'm not seeing you contribute to derail the thread in another direction. I've already made several bellow the belt comments about your avatar, not endorsed them a single time :P

@OMDSK: Wai not? [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion 779695502
And while it is a tad bit flat, they have quite a dozen of innovative things in it.

@EP: Again: Mutant Chronicles. It pleases slagathor, Bauhaus FTW!
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Kattlarv wrote:
@Iron: Come now, this isn't the first time I've seen a reaction like this hehe.

I didn't know you were a chemist. Spike

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Is there anything like this in X-COM?
*image*

Spoiler:
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:18 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Bah, can't think of how to make FO:E cast, so instead I'm going to add y'all to my XCOM team. Any classes, genders, and playstyles you want in particular? Also have no idea, but I've gotten a whole lot of female characters instead of guys. O.o
I know nearly nothing about the game, but feel free to make me female if you need to give someone else a male role.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Cptadder wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Cptadder wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
I figured he wanted to give it an explosive that could make a shockwave within the body since, as you say, fragmentation would be useless. To do that, he needs magic. I mentioned 20mm being the start point for useful explosive loadings earlier.
Edit: Oh, and he wanted to save metal. Not sure why he'd need to, a bullet is very small.
So make it a rifle grenade, it's quite easy to mount up to 40mm grenades from any standard 6mm or above rifle and explosives don't need to move fast for infantry use.
A grenade rifle as a military's primary close quarters combat firearm?
I think he meant something like this.
Ah, I see. Still, though, that and a rifle to fire it from does not seem like the ideal general-issue firearm for use inside buildings or cramped shipboard conditions.
They don't require a rifle to fire, it's just that rifles are handy to launch them accurately since you can easily mount the spring leaf pop up ranging sight which you really can't do in pistols and smgs. However they do exist for both pistols and smgs, they are unwieldy however and the lack of being able to brace it against something means they kick like a mule... no pun intended.

Still if you want to use this thing in ships you don't want explosives because that ruins your ability to capture ships intact, as for standard buildings don't you want penetration not explosives with explosives role be handled by grenades?

*Still catching up on the thread fyi.
So you think that they'd be better off putting in the extra production lines and metal supplies needed and just make two (four, if the normal/AP distinction is included) different designs of bullets?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:29 pm

I aint gonna lie, Swicked your job sounds boring as hell. Is it?

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:36 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Is there anything like this in X-COM?
*image*

Spoiler:

That gun I showed you was a Saiga 12, and in the words of Jayne, "It is my very favorite gun."

It's essentially a 12-gauge Kalashnikov, and you can get pretty crazy as far as modding it out goes. My favorite assault rifle would be the ACR or AR15-based guns. I don't know much about the guns in X-com
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 pm

As silly as it sounds, mercenary work. From what I hear they do a lot of work for the CIA, pretty good for someone who will eventually be a military veteran. Get to see various places, pay is good, possibility of fighting. Police/SWAT work would be interesting. As smart as I am I couldn't hold down an engineering job given I'm slow on some subjects and my brain likes to switch around numbers when I'm working.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Preferred term is Private Military contractor. Me and Iron are both planning 4 years in the military then PMC or police work
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:54 pm

swicked wrote:
I dislike the idea of people shooting at me, though.
I do too but that's why you shoot back! XD
Honestly I've expected to be going into the military ever since I was little, and now more than ever it seems to be the best choice for me. Worst thing that happens is I get religious. (props to anyone who gets what I mean)

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. "

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
swicked wrote:
I dislike the idea of people shooting at me, though.
I do too but that's why you shoot back! XD
Honestly I've expected to be going into the military ever since I was little, and now more than ever it seems to be the best choice for me. Worst thing that happens is I get religious. (props to anyone who gets what I mean)

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. "

Religious. Holy. Full of holes
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Holy, filled full of holes.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm

That was a terrible pun. Clever, but terrible.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:01 am

Ketchup wrote:That was a terrible pun. Clever, but terrible.

Aint my pun, but leave Terry Bull out of this!

*shotgun racks*

Okay I'll stop. Shy

EDIT: "Holy molie that's a lot of holies!"

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:08 am

Ironmonger you stupidly suicidal maniac. You get panicked by a muton, then proceed to charge at him and shoot him to death. You are so lucky that I have Hinds as a medic to patch you up after that.
So currently I have, nicknames only:
Assault (Male) Ironmonger
Assault (Male) Frost
Support (Female) Kim
Support (Male) Hinds

A plasma pistol wielding sniper named Homage (so many lucky crits)
Assault (Female) Blackjack [trying to get psi]
Assault (Female) Littlepip [trying to get psi]
Support (Female) Glory [archangel suit]
Sniper (Male) Calamity [archangel suit]

Going to build
Shiv - Ketchup
Floating Shiv - Orange

Ugh, psionic characters are so hard to get. I'm going with Psi->Magic in my mind so... yeah.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:13 am

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Ironmonger you stupidly suicidal maniac. You get panicked by a muton, then proceed to charge at him and shoot him to death. You are so lucky that I have Hinds as a medic to patch you up after that.

That was a costly fight because it wasn't free of charge, and now I'm a pirate because I'm all patched up. If there's pan-ick from a muton then perhaps I shouldn't cook lamb anymore. Please don't shoot me.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:14 am

O. Hinds wrote:
So you think that they'd be better off putting in the extra production lines and metal supplies needed and just make two (four, if the normal/AP distinction is included) different designs of bullets?
Do they have access to plastic? You can make pure blast grenades out of several types of plastic or very thin metal which are great offensive grenades since they rely on the pure blast effect rather than shrapnel which means you can use them much closer to you than a standard fragmentation grenade. The lethality cone of a standard grenade is eight meters with the base plate lethal out to 15 meters but a pure blast grenade is lethal inside three meters only but is still effective (Loud bang, lots of dust) in an entire room in enclosed spaces. Putting aside plastics it's quite possible to cast pure blast grenades out of easy to make clay, in fact the first grenades were clay and you don't need to make it the burning fuse type seen in old Batman serials, you could rig any one of a number of traditional pull and throw types. The Japanese were pioneers in this during the lead up to the presumed invasion of Japan finding all sorts of interesting things to cast grenades into including old tin cans (Something you can already do in Fallout), wooden boxes and very nasty low yield bamboo bombs.

As Bullets don't need to be solid slug to save metal you can use a alternative less war useful material like again some kinds of plastic or good old lead, brass or several other types. Or just go hollowpoint in mass and reduce the amount of material per bullet by a good 40%.

Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:20 am

swicked wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:
Ketchup wrote:That was a terrible pun. Clever, but terrible.

Aint my pun, but leave Terry Bull out of this!

*shotgun racks*

Okay I'll stop. Shy

EDIT: "Holy molie that's a lot of holies!"
Heh, I wonder what you'll be like when you get back from your tour of duty.

Me and him, optimistically, will be more-or-less the same, personality-wise
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 am

swicked wrote:Heh, I wonder what you'll be like when you get back from your tour of duty.

This sums it up pretty well.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:29 am

swicked wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Me and him, optimistically, will be more-or-less the same, personality-wise
I've met a lot of marines, one of my better friends being one of them, and you're right... that's a really optimistic expectation.

That's a bit of a different case, you are talking about the Marine Corps, we are going Army. However the issue of some sort of trauma be it physical or emotional a risk. Part of this decision comes from my grandpa being a demolitions expert from the Army during the Korean War.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:33 am

From what I've heard and partly read, the marines are usually in the thick of it and their training is a bit more harsh. We have a healthy chance of getting stationed on a military base somewhere rather than active combat though it's always a risk. Biggest fear is snipers.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:37 am

One thing we have going for us is that we aren't going in wanting to be "badass" or any infantile delusions some people have upon joining the military, we're ready to do our jobs and be a part of a team

Also, a lot of wartime psychological trauma is due to being forced to kill, and call me a sociopath but that doesn't bother me.

As for our duty stations, to be honest I'm rather hoping for an active station. I'd rather die young and fighting than spend my career on a base
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next