Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+37
Derpmind
Admiral Stoic Rum
Harmony Ltd.
WovenTales
Scyto Harmony
Downloaded Skill
Kattlarv
nebulous
Vergil
Nightfire
Rafafidi
Somber
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Ametros
Valikdu
Katarn
RandomBlank
Meleagridis
iLateralGX
Icy Shake
WavemasterRyx
Sindri
Stringtheory
Cptadder
Theta
Ketchup
Ironmonger
O. Hinds
OneMoreDaySK
Aonee
IncoherentOrange
Caoimhe
RoboRed
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
41 posters

Page 4 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Vergil Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
Time to bring back the Pratchett-Warhammer Theory of Anthrodependent Psychomanifestation! :D Wherein ponies get visions of human technology, and recreate them as best they can, and their BELIEF that these machines and concepts should work makes them actually function.
Thats Orky thinkin! Red ones go faster and choppa's chop best when they got lots of teeth to chop wif.

RoboRed wrote:BASE 16 FTW!
Get thy computer friendly Hexadecimal heretical heresy from this thread this instant! I shall not be burden by your love of the sixteen digit F, it makes no sense in pony, it makes no sense in monkey and it makes no sense in hairless ape, only your contankering contraptions have any love of anything but the good and proper base10. I can deal with base2 if I must but base16 must go the way of the walk through laundromat and the home sauna suit.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Heresy11
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Ranger wrote:
swicked wrote:
Ranger wrote:hmm...i got two choices today:

A) write a FF someone requested
b) Read Fallout Equestria

Which one? O~O
C) TV Tropes.

You know you wanna.

Sweetie i don't know what that is :P
I think that the page on schmuck bait is an appropriate place to start.

I approve of the Griffon scholars theory.

Haven't actually gotten around to looking for that article again yet, due to being out pretty much all day. Relevent point to whoever said that ponies (or at least mares) have the same forward-facing eyes, small jaws, and large brains as humans; their skull structure is probably closer to ours than to IRL equines...
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Caoimhe wrote:If the two sisters are the gods, didn't they come first before others? Seems an early immortal divine presence would lay all this out.
Somber's canon is that the Princesses came later, produced by the same falling star that wiped out the old Zebra city in Hoofington and kept the Eater from rising long ago. They've got the power of gods, and have taken on that role in the last few thousand years, but ponies existed before Alicorns.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:56 pm

That's certainly a better way to use them than storybook fairytale princess stuff we just have to assume in show canon. Well then!
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Rafafidi wrote:
Griffin have 3 claws and 1 "thumb".
Ancient Atlantis Griffins with super advanced learning, the base10 system and the only way to tell an Atlantis Griffin from the bog standard mountain Griffin is the 4th claw. Luna
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:46 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 A43
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 pm

IncoherentOrange wrote:Quickly, get a distraction!
[Art of the Suit]
What this is, I don't even.
Why
I... uh...
INTERNET'S OVER, EVERPONY OFF!

Cptadder wrote:The first scholars in the world were Griffins who having nothing better to do besides being awesome took the time to invent mathematics to improve logistics during their military campaigns thus the first math all races uses is Griffon math which is base10 because four claws and a thumb on both forehands.
What base are you counting her fingers in?

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 1000px-Gilda_snaps_red_background_speed_lines_S1E05

RoboRed wrote:I'm not saying it was humans...
You win. Lyra
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, can't we all just agree it's space magic?
I mean seriously humans? Pfffft, those are just a myth.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 pm

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 134404034465s
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
What base are you counting her fingers in?
Atlantis Griffon base10!

SilentCarto wrote:
RoboRed wrote:I'm not saying it was humans...
You win. Lyra
Yeah sure... HUMANS invented math not my much Atlantis Griffons for which there is far more historical evidence to support a race of arboreal eagle islands creating an advance civilization on under da sea. Humans.. hah! Meer school yard fairy tails and the nonsense of old mad ponies and those ponies with odd fetishes

Last edited by Cptadder on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm

RoboRed wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 134404034465s

You can't seriously believe that ancient human theory can you? I mean what real evidence is there? You can't believe something just because Discovery Channel old books say so!

*prepares to be shot for arguing with Lyra*
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 am

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Crying_lyra_by_keanno-d4spbo2

...You made Lyra sad...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 am

Now I know why this has a grimdark tag. :(
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:10 am

RoboRed wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Crying_lyra_by_keanno-d4spbo2

...You made Lyra sad...

...Right in the feels...

It's okay... uhh... we can all believe what we want to believe? And we should not ridicule each other for having different beliefs?
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 am

iLateralGX wrote:
RoboRed wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 134404034465s

You can't seriously believe that ancient human theory can you? I mean what real evidence is there? You can't believe something just because Discovery Channel old books say so!

*prepares to be shot for arguing with Lyra*

RoboRed wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Crying_lyra_by_keanno-d4spbo2

...You made Lyra sad...
You... you monster. Luna
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:31 am

Cptadder wrote:
Get thy computer friendly Hexadecimal heretical heresy from this thread this instant! I shall not be burden by your love of the sixteen digit F, it makes no sense in pony, it makes no sense in monkey and it makes no sense in hairless ape, only your contankering contraptions have any love of anything but the good and proper base10. I can deal with base2 if I must but base16 must go the way of the walk through laundromat and the home sauna suit.
But hexadecimal is just a faster way to write base 2. So is octal, really, but base 8 is easy to confuse with base 10 if you're not careful. Any base-power-of-two is effectively interchangeable with binary.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 am

FeatherDust wrote:
Cptadder wrote:
But hexadecimal is just a faster way to write base 2. So is octal, really, but base 8 is easy to confuse with base 10 if you're not careful. Any base-power-of-two is effectively interchangeable with binary.
And given that the two hooves of a pony would be most analogous to the ten fingers of a human, if they were to develop their own numerical systems without outside influence and along lines similar to our development, they'd probably start with base two and then compress that into 4s and then 16s for convenience in records (writing numbers in binary takes forever).
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:40 am

OK, new topic for discussion: What makes P-21 unique? When given the chance, all the other males refused to leave 99. Why?

Were they just freaked out by the recent invasions and decided their short but safe lives were better than risking it all on the big mysterious Outside? If P-21 had been able to offer escape before the first raider assault, would things be different?

Or is it P-21 himself that's different? Did his life experiences inside the stable -- with the Overmare, and with the loss of his love -- did that turn him against the stable in a way that the others didn't have, giving him a powerful motive to escape that the others lack? (P-21 said inside the stable, all the marks on his Pipbuck were red; is that unique to him?)

Or is it because he was #21? Does the conditioning just tend to keep them docile until it's their number that comes up, and only then do they suddenly realize how very close death is and start trying to find a way out?

What do you think?
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 am

Without taking the time to really develop a well-thought-out answer?

I think the males were just like the females. Complacent and sedentary to the point of their own destruction. Remember, some males wanted to go, but they were cowed into staying. I think it's safe to say that Scotch might have not come along if she had anyone left with her.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 am

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 4 Abandon+thread+_6f0ee1d187864cd32c0c0b564612d3a9

I haven't read it, but as far as I know, it went something like that.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 am

FeatherDust wrote:OK, new topic for discussion: What makes P-21 unique? When given the chance, all the other males refused to leave 99. Why?

Were they just freaked out by the recent invasions and decided their short but safe lives were better than risking it all on the big mysterious Outside? If P-21 had been able to offer escape before the first raider assault, would things be different?

Or is it P-21 himself that's different? Did his life experiences inside the stable -- with the Overmare, and with the loss of his love -- did that turn him against the stable in a way that the others didn't have, giving him a powerful motive to escape that the others lack? (P-21 said inside the stable, all the marks on his Pipbuck were red; is that unique to him?)

Or is it because he was #21? Does the conditioning just tend to keep them docile until it's their number that comes up, and only then do they suddenly realize how very close death is and start trying to find a way out?

What do you think?
My thinking is that few of them were every happy there, but most people are more willing to stick to a crappy status quo than to dive into the unknown. Especially when they've been indoctrinated from birth to accept their lot in life, not rock the boat, and never ever think about going to the surface because that shit'll melt your face off.

P-21... part of it is probably his homosexuality. Where others, if they relaxed and resigned themselves, could manage to maybe enjoy where they were, he just wasn't capable of it. Part of it seems to be a natural aversion to authority; some people, regardless of upbringing or treatment, will simply refuse to serve and always rebel, and his treatment was far from acceptable.

Mostly I think he was too smart. The theme of 99 was 'don't think about it.' If you accept what you're told and go on with your life, you'll be okay. Not good, and honestly kinda terrible, but pretty much kinda okay. Things won't get worse, at least. But if you can't stop yourself from thinking, if you look around you and you know it's wrong... you just can't settle like that. He couldn't turn his brain off, so he couldn't be an unthinking sex toy. Instead he tried to learn, and was beaten for it. He tried to talk to people and influence them, and he got sent back to medical. He tried to make the best out of his life there, to find some shred of happiness in the tiny bit of freedom he was allowed... and he saw the love of his life beaten to death in front of him. So he snapped. He plotted. He knew he was dead, but he was going to fuck shit up on the way out. But then Deus came in, and P-21 got out, and he can have a real life out in the horrors of the Hoof.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 am

Meleagridis wrote:Without taking the time to really develop a well-thought-out answer?

I think the males were just like the females. Complacent and sedentary to the point of their own destruction. Remember, some males wanted to go, but they were cowed into staying. I think it's safe to say that Scotch might have not come along if she had anyone left with her.
Ditto for this.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 am

swicked wrote:Regarding P-21, what really eats at me still, after all this time, is that thing that fortune teller told P-21 so long ago. That his story was already over.
I still wonder what his story was, then. If she was just BSing him for annoying her or if he really is so expendable in the eyes of fate.

Especially since BJ's prophesier dream contradicts it, alluding to the idea that he is capable of taking over hoofington and, by extension, the wasteland. That's a pretty big deal and not at all indicative of his story being over.

Sigh...
My thinking is that she was doing the whole 'tell you what you need to hear, not what's true' schtick. If his story is over, if all the big important duties are left to other ponies... he's truly free. Not just out of slavery, not just out of 99, but free to do whatever he wants. Which then causes him to voluntarily follow Blackjack and continue his story, instead of feeling like he's being forced into it and rebelling against the fates or whatever.

Either that or she was just trolling him.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 am

I like to think that P-21's difference was he refused to succumb. He had a plan to escape and even if he failed he'd not give in. He wasn't going to let them just kill him like an animal, nor was he going to submit meekly. His refusal, one last FU to the overmare and 99, set him apart. His lover knew he had it in him to be more than what 99 told him he was.

Once he was out, he realized that there had to more to life than simply enduring. He followed BJ to learn what that thing was. He knew it had to be more than violence because 99 had been full of violence. For a time he thought it might have been priest, but then priest was taken from him. Then he had Scotch Tape, and he realized that in being a parent he could be more than simply a pony that hadn't given in yet. Scotch is his chance to be a better pony. And now, he's taken that chance.

In other news... searching for an apartment didn't go well. Had a little melt down. Better now. Just... alot going on right now.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:28 am

Somber wrote:I like to think that P-21's difference was he refused to succumb. He had a plan to escape and even if he failed he'd not give in. He wasn't going to let them just kill him like an animal, nor was he going to submit meekly. His refusal, one last FU to the overmare and 99, set him apart. His lover knew he had it in him to be more than what 99 told him he was.

Once he was out, he realized that there had to more to life than simply enduring. He followed BJ to learn what that thing was. He knew it had to be more than violence because 99 had been full of violence. For a time he thought it might have been priest, but then priest was taken from him. Then he had Scotch Tape, and he realized that in being a parent he could be more than simply a pony that hadn't given in yet. Scotch is his chance to be a better pony. And now, he's taken that chance.

In other news... searching for an apartment didn't go well. Had a little melt down. Better now. Just... alot going on right now.
Anypony live near Fallon and have a spare couch?
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by iLateralGX Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 am

Sindri wrote:
Somber wrote:I like to think that P-21's difference was he refused to succumb. He had a plan to escape and even if he failed he'd not give in. He wasn't going to let them just kill him like an animal, nor was he going to submit meekly. His refusal, one last FU to the overmare and 99, set him apart. His lover knew he had it in him to be more than what 99 told him he was.

Anypony live near Fallon and have a spare couch?

Unfortunately I don't think that would work on Cloudsville, not nearly enough outreach. You would probably have a lot more luck on the MLP subreddit if you were seriously contemplating asking for a place to stay via the internet. It has happened more than once there.
iLateralGX
iLateralGX
Ursa Minor

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:25 am

P-21 is really an incredible pony.

And I really hope you'll be okay, sir. Please just try to take care of yourself. We're here for you as much as we can be. *hugs you tight*
WavemasterRyx
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 am

Sindri wrote:
swicked wrote:Regarding P-21, what really eats at me still, after all this time, is that thing that fortune teller told P-21 so long ago. That his story was already over.
If his story is over, if all the big important duties are left to other ponies... he's truly free. Not just out of slavery, not just out of 99, but free to do whatever he wants. Which then causes him to voluntarily follow Blackjack and continue his story, instead of feeling like he's being forced into it and rebelling against the fates or whatever.
I think you have the right end of it there -- I think the fortune teller was being honest, but it's no bad thing. P-21's story is about the escape from slavery, and it was over by the end of chapter 1. That doesn't mean he can't contribute, but the story isn't about him from here on out.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 am

So it's more an internal difference that set him apart, which led to all the other things.

I like to think that, if they hadn't had to leave suddenly under the threat of raider infection and all, some of the males would have come to P21 in secret and said, "Yes, I want to go with you, but don't tell anyone until after we're gone." They only refused because the others were intimidating them, and that only works as long as you're being watched.

Scotch is his chance to be a better pony. And now, he's taken that chance.
Which was particularly hard for him because HE doesn't think he's a better pony.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:25 am

Somber wrote:

If all else fails, you can try one of those extended stay places while you search. Or a hostel or something like that.

If you're keen to couches for a bit than I suggest couchsurfing.org. It's mainly nice people offering a place for travelers to stay and also for finding new friends in cities. It works really well and many provide references. There's a new people in Fallon at the moment as well.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next