Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+11
Downloaded Skill
Katarn
Frost
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
RoboRed
Valikdu
Tytan
Stringtheory
Ironmonger
Scienza
15 posters

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 28 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:11 pm

Dont usually post things this unfinished but I'm kinda proud of how it's shaping up. Plus it will be against the rules to post it when it's finished.

Spoiler:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/17/78/95/55/image12.jpg

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 28 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Tytan Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:13 pm

Your pun is bad and you should feel bad.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:15 am

The next Quentin Tarantino film
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:37 am

I'd watch it.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:19 pm

A gift for Last:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Tytan wrote:
A gift for Last:

That is fucking awesome. Not sure how you got the water color look, but I love it. Fantastic job.

@Swicked Not sure that you're wrong, but in my experience when a character (typically a male character) refers to an object by female pronouns it's usually because the object has sentimental value. I've never seen this occur with like a disposable phone for example, something that is simply meant to be used and thrown away when your done with it.

They're usually things that are cared for, like a racer and his car or a soldier and his gun. For example in Mass Effect Zaeed has an assault rifle he keeps long after it's usefulness ends, he refers to this gun as a her if I remember correctly. The heavy keeps his minigun in a little bed I think it had a female name as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:38 pm

Ship Girl or Robot Girl would likely be a place to start. 

Good point, though. I'm thinking, and the list of AI's or other equipment with a male persona is pretty short. All I can think of is some AI's from a few Halo books and probably some Machine Spirits from 40K
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:24 pm

I don't know about the Machine Spirits in 40K I don't think their given anything, at least from what I remember they are just treated as part of the machine god. I think some of the Tau might have personalities, the only one I can think of is an AI based off of a Tau commander.

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Well, for AIs you have at least HAL-9000. Jarvis, too, Ultron. That hologram doctor from whatever Star Trek that was. Robots/similar give C-3P0 and R2D2, and Data. That AI car from the old show (okay, let's see, KITT, from Knight Rider) was voiced by a man. Likewise, I assume that the General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard wasn't referred to as a "she," but I honestly have no idea. I think most of Azimov's robots were depicted more on the masculine side, when not sexless.

I haven't thought about it too much, or made much of a go at a full listing, but I wouldn't be too surprised if to some extent viewing maleness as default means not noticing them as much as such.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Frost wrote:Ship Girl or Robot Girl would likely be a place to start. 

Good point, though. I'm thinking, and the list of AI's or other equipment with a male persona is pretty short. All I can think of is some AI's from a few Halo books and probably some Machine Spirits from 40K

I think it's important to note that the smart AIs choose their appearance. If I remember correctly Halsey was initially worried Cortana would choose some abstract thing or a very theatrical appearance, but was pleasantly surprised she chose to simply adopt the look of a younger Halsey. It's also worth mentioning that the smart AI's come from biological materials (in the case of cortana living materials) and that might play some factor in it.

Refreshed my memory on the Halo wiki. Both Endless Summer and Deep Winter were AIs that had male personas in Ghosts of Onyx.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:43 am

A corollary, then, Shake-- Note that even malevolent female AI's like GLaDoS tend to be at least a bit sympathetic. Contrast with HAL 9000, Ultron, Wheatley, ect. A male robot/AI is a lot more likely to be irredeemably malevolent, in while even female AI's have touches of humanity. 

Hell, I vaguely remember that both Summer and Winter were more obstructive and less human-esque than Cortana.

Though it's worth noting that the AI, weapon or equipment seems to be the opposite gender of its user regardless. Compare Jayne's "Vera" to Asha Greyjoy's "Lord Husband"
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:31 am

Fair enough. When the leader's right-hand-person is a woman, chances are she's gonna take over when he dies horribly. When it's a dude (Especially if that dude has a title like 'chancellor'), chances are that he's the reason the leader dies horribly.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:52 pm

In unrelated news, I saw the aforementioned episode of Tiny Horses (today) and the new Maze Runner movie (yesterday). The Horse People one was actually pretty solid, I think, and I've not watched anything else in the season. The Maze Runner movie has left me at the point of rooting for the 'evil' faction, because they actually are trying to accomplish some shit.

I'm watching the new Horse Women movie right now. I'll give my commentary when I'm finished
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Okay, I just have to comment that the school crowds are a lot more realistic and enjoyable this time around, considering their 'fuck this, I don't care' attitude. I'm all for Flash taking up a permanent position as the cynical, asshole heckler.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Frost wrote:In unrelated news, I saw the aforementioned episode of Tiny Horses (today) and the new Maze Runner movie (yesterday). The Horse People one was actually pretty solid, I think, and I've not watched anything else in the season. The Maze Runner movie has left me at the point of rooting for the 'evil' faction, because they actually are trying to accomplish some shit.

I'm watching the new Horse Women movie right now. I'll give my commentary when I'm finished
Avatar had me rooting for the humans.

I haven't seen all of The Network, but based on these two speeches (which, having been sent to them, have made me kind of want to see the movie), I suspect there's a good chance I'd root for the side I'm not supposed to.

Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:17 pm

So, uh, Friendship Games.......

That sure was......a movie.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:31 pm

That's the response of either someone who isn't sure whether or not they thought the movie was bad, or someone who's discovered a dozen new fetishes.

My guess is the former.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Pretty much. There were a few vaguely interesting bits, but mostly it was near as shitty as the first one; nowhere near as good as the second.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:20 pm

I feel the same. Not as good as the second, but better than the first.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Bought my first piece of official pony merchandise

It's a Carrefour exclusive. They have this one, and the whole Mane 6 Power Ponies, plus Spike.

If any of y'all is interested, I could ship it.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:54 pm

I've been in a drunk state of mind and I've just had a revelation.
You know how, prior to the development of Mass Effect 3, some of the best writers (Karpyshyn, L'Etouille) had left Bioware?
What did the remaining ones do? They borrowed shit. It was from the worst possible source. That source was Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Just consider all the similarities...
-The antagonist (Revolver Ocelot / The Illusive Man) has performed some highly questionable experiment on himself (hypnosis / indoctrination) and has suddenly become a super villain
-They want to take control over A Thing (SOP / Reapers)
-They previously didn't have an army, but suddenly have one
-There's an army (FROGS / Cerberus' new troops) of mind-controlled (nanomachined / indoctrinated) ex-civilians in power armor who are all armed with the same SMGs (the Cerberus Hornet even loos like the FN P90... well, after it is had been fused with a Beretta M12)
-There are fucking retarded cyborg ninjas (Raiden / Kai Leng)
-The ending has a "controlled helplessness" scene (microwaves / stumbling about after Harbinger leaves)
-Later it suddenly shifts from a downer (Snake about to shoot himself / Shepard bleeding out in the control room) to WTF (surprise Big Boss exposition blast / Catalyst)
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:25 pm

The cloudsvillains, as attacked by ghosts:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Valikdu wrote:I've been in a drunk state of mind and I've just had a revelation.
You know how, prior to the development of Mass Effect 3, some of the best writers (Karpyshyn, L'Etouille) had left Bioware?
What did the remaining ones do? They borrowed shit. It was from the worst possible source. That source was Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Just consider all the similarities...
-The antagonist (Revolver Ocelot / The Illusive Man) has performed some highly questionable experiment on himself (hypnosis / indoctrination) and has suddenly become a super villain
-They want to take control over A Thing (SOP / Reapers)
-They previously didn't have an army, but suddenly have one
-There's an army (FROGS / Cerberus' new troops) of mind-controlled (nanomachined / indoctrinated) ex-civilians in power armor who are all armed with the same SMGs (the Cerberus Hornet even loos like the FN P90... well, after it is had been fused with a Beretta M12)
-There are fucking retarded cyborg ninjas (Raiden / Kai Leng)
-The ending has a "controlled helplessness" scene (microwaves / stumbling about after Harbinger leaves)
-Later it suddenly shifts from a downer (Snake about to shoot himself / Shepard bleeding out in the control room) to WTF (surprise Big Boss exposition blast / Catalyst)

Still no Johnny. I can live with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:59 pm

You were too blunt, apparently? People don't seem to actually like honest nowadays.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Sorry, swicked.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Tales from the borderlands finale:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:25 am

Not really relevant anymore but Guard reminded me of another male AI in the Halo universe. Roland is on the UNSC Infinity during and after the events of Halo 4. He doesn't really do much though and ends up getting outsmarted by Halsey enabling her escape.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:31 am

I couldn't tell you the root cause, but I know that in addition to the direct effects (European citizens are being attacked and beaten or raped by refugees with alarming frequency) several terror groups have openly stated that they mean to walk right into Europe posing as refugees.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Nope. This has been my main thing since everyone migrated here from EqD. Especially where general purpose foruming was concerned, I never really had anything else.
I'd be interested in other ideas as well.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:26 pm

Sorry, Swick. Been on Staff Duty all day. 

I could definitely see groups engineering the Syrian refugee situation, yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if reports start coming out from intelligence agencies on the matter. 

As for other forums; nah, I don't have a lot of ideas. I don't frequent many other forums; though I'm happy for suggestions
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 31 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next