Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+37
Derpmind
Admiral Stoic Rum
Harmony Ltd.
WovenTales
Scyto Harmony
Downloaded Skill
Kattlarv
nebulous
Vergil
Nightfire
Rafafidi
Somber
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Ametros
Valikdu
Katarn
RandomBlank
Meleagridis
iLateralGX
Icy Shake
WavemasterRyx
Sindri
Stringtheory
Cptadder
Theta
Ketchup
Ironmonger
O. Hinds
OneMoreDaySK
Aonee
IncoherentOrange
Caoimhe
RoboRed
tylertoon2
SilentCarto
41 posters

Page 30 of 31 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 30 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:42 pm

yeah what she said,

Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Sex: Male
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 30 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Damn it!

Smile smile smile always make me cry
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Cptadder wrote:[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 30 Leo-cullum-mr-happy-wants-to-remind-us-that-tragedy-plus-time-equals-comedy-new-yorker-cartoon

I disagree with this so freaking strongly. It's *Insert naughty words of choice* !!!!!! Comedy is when things are without consequences. You can watch Wile E. Coyote get smashed, flattened, and exploded and when he pops back up it's funny. Stand next to someone who gets seriously injured and if you're not in shock chances are you try will to help. Historical jokes are funny because the people and events are distanced from the here and now. As soon as there can be negative impact from a joke, it's not funny.

Another aspect of comedy is that it can be used to help people gain emotional distance from hurtful things. That's partially why people joke about their bad memories, so that it's not such a bad memory anymore. If you can joke about it, then that stubbed toe or spilled paint probably doesn't hurt as much as it used to.

Ok, that's enough depressing stuff. Someone mentioned My Little Dashie earlier, so I can send everyone to this most excellent parody:
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 30 32117
My Little Stashie

@Fallout NV mods
I'd love to add some of these mods (PN, as amazing as it is, is the only mod I have so far) but my computer's been semi-broken for two weeks now. Got that page bookmarked for after this weekend (when I hopefully get it fixed.) Anyways, there was some discussion about what weapons people typically use, and I'm a little worried. Maybe it's because I'm only level 9 on my first time playing, but I'm still using the same 'my first gun' Varmint rifle with a scope attachment as a sniping weapon. I can't even begin to count the number of enemies that I've sniped to death from super-long range, but if there are better alternatives for use early in the game I would like to know. I also mostly use a 10mm pistol and a caravan shotgun.

(Yes, I'm interjecting a discussion about real guns with a question about video-game guns. *Shrug*)

One last question: The beginning of FNV basically gives you no history besides being a courier. Are there any mods that let you choose a past for your character?
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 am

RE: Guns
I've never had a gun. Closest was checking a friend's BB pistol. Personally, methinks that to be willing to use a gun is willing to kill with it. Not sure what would happen would a situation occur where I had a choice to use one or not. That scares me.

RE: Gangnam Style
Eh, I like the original better.

@Derpmind
That's why many people can laugh at things that are really insensitive, as there's not much consequence to them, aside from the ire of the offended. As soon as there is something that happens to them, it loses all sense of amusement. I guess it can also be used as a coping mechanism.

For FNV, why not just make your own backstory, like the Sims biography for each character? Or do you mean a playable backstory?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:13 am

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:
Still one of my all-time favorite PMVs. That song is awesome.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 am

Derpmind wrote:

I disagree with this so freaking strongly. It's *Insert naughty words of choice* !!!!!! Comedy is when things are without consequences. You can watch Wile E. Coyote get smashed, flattened, and exploded and when he pops back up it's funny. Stand next to someone who gets seriously injured and if you're not in shock chances are you try will to help. Historical jokes are funny because the people and events are distanced from the here and now. As soon as there can be negative impact from a joke, it's not funny.

Another aspect of comedy is that it can be used to help people gain emotional distance from hurtful things. That's partially why people joke about their bad memories, so that it's not such a bad memory anymore. If you can joke about it, then that stubbed toe or spilled paint probably doesn't hurt as much as it used to.
Wait your disagreeing with Comedy=Tragedy + Time but then you agree with it. Time remove the consequences, it's why Monty Python's joke about the amount of dead from the Black Death is frankly hilarious these days.

The Black Death was a great tragedy, but add a few hundred years and it's hilarious.

There are various forms of Comedy but a basic rule that bad things are funny in a long enough hindsight.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 am

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45739

This mod lets you pick a back story according to the description. I don't use it so I can't give any details beyond that, but hopefully it's what you're looking for Derpmind.
Downloaded Skill
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by WovenTales Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 am

scootayay wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:Is Heroes almost done? I'd love to see that one in print. Oh, and definitely Murky when that's over.
Heroes is actually up next for print after Pink Eyes.(That is still up for discussion I believe, but I think they will do it) Otherwise I don't think they have any further printings planned yet.
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Pink Eyes would need a serious overhaul, or maybe even an all-out re-write, to be fit to print, I'd say.

I liked the story, but I feel there were serious issues with the writing (style, pacing, characterization, ...).
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Pink Eyes either. It's a fun read, especially if you know the memes it's referencing, but it is certainly not great literature and works much better online than in really any other media. The nice thing about that story from the view of printing is that it is short (and therefore inexpensive) and already complete. I'd much rather see Heroes and Murky on my shelf, but Murky is nowhere near done and I have no idea what the status of Heroes is. Pink Eyes is currently the best they have to demonstrate that they do intend to continue into Fo:E sidefics and to keep people less interested in PH excited.

I've never held a gun, rarely if ever played games where I would learn the differences between them, and haven't really wanted to until I started to listen to you guys discussing them. I'm not sure you're the best influence on me. ;)
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:03 am

WovenTales wrote:

I've never held a gun, rarely if ever played games where I would learn the differences between them, and haven't really wanted to until I started to listen to you guys discussing them. I'm not sure you're the best influence on me. ;)
Most games are terrible about teaching you about guns because most games either make them generic or change them to avoid paying royalties. The only games that do teach you anything tend to be the gun wank games like Battlefield 3 where you spend ten hours with the same weapon to unlock the next gun. Or WW2 game number 261 because every WW2 game has a Thompson and an MP40 so you can at least recognize those guns.

It's funny how many games have gun sounds based on what the sound guy likes VS what they really sound like... even games that take recording equipment down to a range to record sound. I know for a fact (Some inside baseball here) that Treyarch spend 25k sending sound guys to I think it was the Vegas undisclosed location to fire a bunch of gun and record the sound signatures only for the Dev team to take that effort and throw it directly in the garbage in favor of what sounded good to him.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 am

@Cptadder
'swhy I watch FPSRussia. XD

Arma II seems like it has a thing or two about guns. Currently following a super conservative DayZ Let's Play [Zemalf]. Wanna get this game, but knows computer can't handle it, so waiting for optimized standalone.

In other news, just went through Lil Miss Rarity's tumblr. Can't sleep now. Help T.T
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:15 am

OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Cptadder
That channel is crazy, thank you internet.

OneMoreDaySK wrote:
In other news, just went through Lil Miss Rarity's tumblr. Can't sleep now. Help T.T
Here you go
This puts me to sleep at least
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks Captain.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by WovenTales Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 am

Cptadder wrote:It's funny how many games have gun sounds based on what the sound guy likes VS what they really sound like... even games that take recording equipment down to a range to record sound. I know for a fact (Some inside baseball here) that Treyarch spend 25k sending sound guys to I think it was the Vegas undisclosed location to fire a bunch of gun and record the sound signatures only for the Dev team to take that effort and throw it directly in the garbage in favor of what sounded good to him.
Why does that surprise me? I know that reality is often unrealistic (Warning: TVTropes). Still a bit disappointing knowing that there's all those people who know exactly what a gun sounds like from those games they play, and so the creators are unable to record the actual sounds of the guns.

OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Cptadder

Arma II seems like it has a thing or two about guns. Currently following a super conservative DayZ Let's Play [Zemalf]. Wanna get this game, but knows computer can't handle it, so waiting for optimized standalone.
I'm following the same channel. Just made it to episode 50 in that playthrough, and am working through his Skyrim videos as well. I like his methodical approach to the commentary rather than saying whatever random thing is on his mind. Though I am actually staying away from his Fallout series, so the storyline isn't spoiled for me if I ever get around to buying it; just how strong of a role does the plot play in that game?
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:47 am

Caoimhe wrote:Sooooooo... any new art lately?

We might have reviewed some of these before, but what's the harm seeing them once more?

I suppose my wait is finally over. In one Blackjack is fixed by Rover.:
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:55 am

Cptadder wrote:Wait your disagreeing with Comedy=Tragedy + Time but then you agree with it. Time remove the consequences, it's why Monty Python's joke about the amount of dead from the Black Death is frankly hilarious these days.

The Black Death was a great tragedy, but add a few hundred years and it's hilarious.

There are various forms of Comedy but a basic rule that bad things are funny in a long enough hindsight.
I say it's a misconception because it gives people the wrong idea. Yes, technically everyone alive on the planet today will be dead and future people will be making stupid jokes insulting everything about this period of history, but the reason something's funny isn't directly because of time.
Downloaded Skill wrote:http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45739

This
mod lets you pick a back story according to the description. I don't
use it so I can't give any details beyond that, but hopefully it's what
you're looking for Derpmind.
I was mostly curious, but that looks really cool. I'll have to play with that mod, thank you.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Scootayay Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 am

@Guns
Never get between an American and their gun ^^
Sindri wrote:
stringtheory wrote:I haven't shot a gun yet and I'm 17, I feel so un-american...
guess that's because my families pretty liberal, and both of my parents are teachers
I'm significantly older than that and I've never owned a firearm. I do have a stupid overpowered crossbow I made when I had a bored weekend...

Neither have I and never will because I'm
a)not American
b)pacifist

@Pink Eyes
Pink Eyes was okay, but it quickly became repetitive and let's not talk about the ending.
Scootayay
Scootayay
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 am

Only gun I ever fired was a 20 Gauge break action when I was 14. Damn thing felt like a crowbar going into my shoulder, causing me to drop the gun just after each trigger pull and curse.

@Comedy

Some of you might REALLY not like my sense of humor then. My friends and I are what you would call assholes, GoodIsNotNice to be exact. I make jokes about everything from race to, uh, other things that are significantly more severe. However Im not stupid so I choose what I say around who. Trollestia

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:14 am

Hmm never had trouble with the 16 gauge I shot.... now the main carbine that one hurt metal buttplate
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 am

swicked wrote:I really couldn't care less for guns.
I mean, sure, I have shot them tons, but I don't recall specific ones in any of my shooting runs.
Pistol, rifle, what have you, I'll shoot it, sure, but then I'm through.

I don't know my humor a bit beyond the fact a lot share it.

I hope you carry a handgun for protection regardless of how little you care about em. They come in real handy, just saying. Derpy Hooves

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:05 am

swicked wrote:I figure a revolver

Main advantages of a revolver is they let you fire bigger cartridges without increasing the size of the hand grip. As far as reliability goes a semi-automatic is the way to go. Average semi-auto will have around 40 parts or so, revolvers can have between 40 and 80 parts. Plus gunpowder gets in the space between the cylinder and the barrel and causes it to malfunction. Get yourself something like a Glock 17.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:34 am

Glocks are incredibly popular because of how sturdy they are, rather than a metal frame their casing is a high-quality polymer (heavy-duty plastic). Semi-automatics come in two forms, single-action and double-action. Single-action means you have to cock the hammer before you fire the first shot of each magazine, double-action does it for you. I'd recommend the latter for you. Maintenance is fairly simple on automatics and they have a safety on them unlike revolvers. Personally I plan on getting a Colt 1911 pistol in .45 ACP, but that might not be for you since it is heavy at 2.44 pounds and the recoil is pretty strong. Hope this helps.

PS to the moderator: Wasn't trying to derail the thread in case you are tearing your hair out.

Last edited by Ironmonger on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lacking information)

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 am

Dude, this topic goes everywhere. The only thing people will take issue with is if you break the forum rules or make Somber cry.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 am

Ironmonger wrote:PS to the moderator: Wasn't trying to derail the thread in case you are tearing your hair out.
Where's that "you must be new here" image...

Seriously, though, don't worry about derailing this thread. The main focus may be PH, but we talk about all sorts of things.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:19 am

AngryMarines=everyone on this thread.
KhorneateBerzerker(the red guy)=Someone who made Somber cry.[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 30 Angry_Marine_Smackdown

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 am

Spoiler giant images man don't want to break forum formating.
Also Ironmonger gives good advise about guns and if you want some fun Ironmonger try reading all the other... 24,278 comments, that's the 15k on EQ daily comment threads plus the 4th defunct thread has about 400 plus the 8x990 comment threads we racked up in this forum.

And trust me I'd say in those long comment threads the discussion is 70% Project Horizon related... at best. I'd put it closer to 45% at most.

Fun fact the Fanfic forum here is 9888 posts before I hit submit of which 8899 posts are in Project Horizon related threads.

Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am

I know very little about the topics at hand so I can't contribute, therefore I will rudely butt in to post this story, if you don't know about this guy, it's a very interesting tale of greed and obscession.

Meleagridis wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:Sooooooo... any new art lately?

We might have reviewed some of these before, but what's the harm seeing them once more?

I suppose my wait is finally over. In one Blackjack is fixed by Rover.:

I find that Rover pic hilarious for some reason. I don't know why. :O
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 am

More numbers!
Cloudsville has a total of 19257 non-RP posts of which PH has 8902 posts meaning Sombers story has just shy of 46% of all non RP traffic. We we add the RP forum in that drops to 16% out of 54261 total posts which is still pretty amazing for one topic.

Pretty good, not the biggest draw I've seen but PH created a nearly 50% traffic increase by itself when EQ daily changed it's comment style, think about that.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Numbers, my enemy! HNNNG *aneurysm*

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:33 pm

If you want a gun to carry I recommend against a glock. First off the 17 has no safety and the grip feels like a brick. If you are really wanting to decide on a weapon go to a shop which carry a wide variety and ask them for their recommendations. Hold the gun in your hand and really feel it out.

Personally I have a walther p99. Its a compact and it is hammerless and double action with a decocker no safety two stage trigger. When decocked it has. An 8 lb trigger when hot it has a 4lb trigger. It even has an indicator for when there is a round chambered.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Walter P99 is very James bondy but it's also very feminine. Your choice.

I'm day drunk with my other columnists so your mileage may vary in how legitimate the proceeding sentence is.
Caoimhe
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 31 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next