Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven

+31
chinman
iLateralGX
InLucidReverie
ISuckAtNaming
Scienza
Evilgidgit
StoneSlinger88
cb5
Plasticube
CamoBadger
hawkeye92
Doctor Whooves
WovenTales
Luminous Lead
Icy Shake
Nhim
Admiral Stoic Rum
Stringtheory
Mech
O. Hinds
Valikdu
Fuzzy
Moodyman90
tylertoon2
Salculd
OneMoreDaySK
Cptadder
Kippershy
RoboRed
Aonee
Derpmind
35 posters

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven - Page 19 Empty Re: Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven

Post by InLucidReverie Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Dude. It's a train. I literally joined this place to say this.... but it's just a train. 

The specifics are unimportant. Do we need a play by play analysis of the construction of gemlamps? (actually I think that'd be pretty cool... but no) or perhaps that water cleaning thing Protege wanted so bad. Do we need a way to explain it?

Maybe the specific mechanics of every weapon, battle saddle or such?

It's a train.
InLucidReverie
InLucidReverie
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 4

Back to top Go down

Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven - Page 19 Empty Re: Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven

Post by O. Hinds Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:02 pm

InLucidReverie wrote:Dude. It's a train. I literally joined this place to say this.... but it's just a train. 

The specifics are unimportant. Do we need a play by play analysis of the construction of gemlamps? (actually I think that'd be pretty cool... but no) or perhaps that water cleaning thing Protege wanted so bad. Do we need a way to explain it?

Maybe the specific mechanics of every weapon, battle saddle or such?

It's a train.
The problem isn't that I don't know exactly how it works (though that would be nice), it's that I'm getting contradictory data.

Hmm... Perhaps this will help: how do you envisage the scene in the locomotive?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by InLucidReverie Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Frankly it's been a few weeks since I read it, given I'm a prereader. I'd have to go and find it as the final scene is potentially different to what I initially saw.

Exactly what is the contradiction? In the SIMPLEST of terms to us non-locomotive-savvy.
InLucidReverie
InLucidReverie
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Let's see...
Well, firstly, the text both explicitly and implicitly says that the locomotive is a cab forward design; that is, the cab is at the very front. Nothing wrong there; many locomotives, even steam locomotives, have been such. The problems start when the text implies that a more or less ordinary corridor connects the cab with the passenger and cargo cars behind. That could be dealt with, particularly given that this is a turbine locomotive and therefore presumably late in the timeline of Equestrian steam locomotive technology, but it places some much greater restrictions on the design. Then, though, there's there's the stoking rod. An electric, magic, internal combustion, gas-burning steam, or liquid-burning steam locomotive would have no need of a stoking rod in the cab, nor would a solid-fueled steam locomotive with a separate cab and firepony's station. The presence of a stoking rod in the cab identifies this as a cab forward solid-fueled steam locomotive with the firepony's station located in the (enclosed!) cab. Where is the coal, or whatever, meant to be stored? Even if there was a tender (and Murky makes no mention of a cramped tender corridor), there's no way to get the fuel to the firebox at the front of the locomotive. Oh, I suppose that one could incorporate some crazy conveyor screw system, but why? It makes no sense for the locomotive to be built this way.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by InLucidReverie Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:31 pm

So what you're saying is that it doesn't line up with real life train construction.

There's your problem. My little pony is not real life, though it mirrors it in places. Fallout Equestria follows on from the history of the show... which has trains whose stacks bob up and down as they go.

Admittedly I did question the continuous corridor, but then I remembered that the show's trains do in fact have a continuous corridor and dismissed the matter.
InLucidReverie
InLucidReverie
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 pm

swicked wrote:Okay, so, basically... where is the coal. You are asking where the coal is.
They've got a coal, or other solid-fuel, engine EXPLICITLY stated (due to the fact that a stoking rod, which I assume is used to stoak a solid-fuel fire)... but there's no coal in its proximity nor a cart (or corridor, or area of any kind) for the coal to be stored in.
What you need is a coal-filled staging area explicitly described as attached to the firepony's station.

Is that right?
Not exactly, though that would work. I don't need to know what the solution is, just that a sane one exists. Where would one put the fuel in such a curiously-designed locomotive? It would also help if I had some inkling of why it was designed the way it was. What set of design requirements led to this? A design may be insane yet sane if sanely designed to meet insane requirements, after all; if the cab forward design with a corridor and no separate firepony's station or tender (though I'm not sure whether the absence of a tender is a consequence of the locomotive design or one of the design requirements) was so important, why was it also vitally important to not use liquid or gaseous fuel, which would have obviously made the locomotive much less complex and more efficient?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 pm

InLucidReverie wrote:Admittedly I did question the continuous corridor, but then I remembered that the show's trains do in fact have a continuous corridor and dismissed the matter.
Wait, what? Where is that shown?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:38 pm

Also, my problem is not that it does not match real locomotives; I would be quite happy to accept a design that would work in the FoE universe but not in ours. I do not see how this is that sort of design, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:41 pm

So is Wildcard pretty much an evil Pinkie Pie? Choo Choo!
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by InLucidReverie Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm not entirely sure a one-off train journey that lasts a total of 2 pages (at best guess) is truly in need of such detailed analysis.

Fact is that you cannot expect Fuzzy to research trains for 2 pages of a journey that isn't about the train.... perhaps if this were being published then it would be worth more consideration.

In addition, perhaps you aughta consider that the train may have been repurposed to run on slave corpses due to a lack of trade with zebra lands restricting coal accassability. ISAMYSTERY.

Maybe it's a furnace fed on unicorn horns.

EDIT: That's the real reason Unity isn't being sent unicorns. Grindstone minces them, feeds the meat to Brutus and uses the bones to power trains!
InLucidReverie
InLucidReverie
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Ah, I see that MMMystery on the Friendship Express does present the interior of the locomotive in quite a curious manner. There are several problems, however. Firstly, even if we accept that the Friendship Express as portrayed in the show is of the same design as the train in the chapter, neglecting among other things the possibility of artistic license, the Friendship Express does not have a continuous enclosed corridor; part of the passage is open to the elements, which Murky makes no mention of. Secondly, while perhaps the large heart-shaped window on that locomotive might be the windscreen that the chapter mentions, I do not believe that Murky is tall enough to see through the curve dead-ahead through it. Even a pony of average height would be unable to get a forward view without rearing up.
Oh, yes, and I do not recall any of the show locomotives ever making an noise that could be described as "spooling up", certainly not while stationary.

InLucidReverie wrote:In addition, perhaps you aughta consider that the train may have been repurposed to run on slave corpses due to a lack of trade with zebra lands restricting coal accassability. ISAMYSTERY.

Maybe it's a furnace fed on unicorn horns.

EDIT: That's the real reason Unity isn't being sent unicorns. Grindstone minces them, feeds the meat to Brutus and uses the bones to power trains!
…I can only assume that these are meant to be jokes.

InLucidReverie wrote:I'm not entirely sure a one-off train journey that lasts a total of 2 pages (at best guess) is truly in need of such detailed analysis.

Fact is that you cannot expect Fuzzy to research trains for 2 pages of a journey that isn't about the train.... perhaps if this were being published then it would be worth more consideration.
Oh! Are you saying that the Fuzzy does not in fact have a sensible design for the locomotive, and that moreover the design is unimportant to the desired establishment of plot and setting? If so, that opens up the possibility of me moving past this by simply ignoring what's written and mentally substituting something that makes sense; I didn't want to do that before because I thought that it would both be somewhat rude to Fuzzy and make me miss out on part of the story. If this is unimportant and Fuzzy doesn't care, though…
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by InLucidReverie Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:03 am

O. Hinds wrote:Oh!  Are you saying that the Fuzzy does not in fact have a sensible design for the locomotive, and that moreover the design is unimportant to the desired establishment of plot and setting?  If so, that opens up the possibility of me moving past this by simply ignoring what's written and mentally substituting something that makes sense; I didn't want to do that before because I thought that it would both be somewhat rude to Fuzzy and make me miss out on part of the story.  If this is unimportant and Fuzzy doesn't care, though…
I would say that it wasn't considered important enough to warrant research, yes. Can't describe EVERYTHING or we'd never move past the floorboards.

'...nails weathered in such a way that the red and grays mottle together into a weird funky green'

Honestly, you could have worked this out by simply reading on and considring the matter once again if it became relevant later on.

Last edited by InLucidReverie on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
InLucidReverie
InLucidReverie
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:05 am

So I can just ignore it, then, without causing offense or missing anything?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by InLucidReverie Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 am

That would be a yes.
InLucidReverie
InLucidReverie
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 am

Thank you very much!

Okay, I ought to be able to finish the chapter later tonight.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:00 am

O. Hinds wrote:So I can just ignore it, then, without causing offense or missing anything?
THATS WHAT I SAID ALL ALONG!
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:18 am

Sorry that this took so long! Things kept coming up to delay me.

Interestingly, it looks like, though Equestria may use Brunel track gauge, the loading gauge width is actually about the same as the standard width of North American passenger railcars, according to Wikipedia, and actually narrower than most North American loading gauges. I'm bringing this up because I think that this fascinating locomotive might be a good place to start with the design. Making it liquid- or gas-fired can eliminate the forward section, I expect, and allow more flexibility in firebox design; that, combined with making the locomotive smaller, ought to provide room for a narrow corridor… Hm, yes, I like this idea! And am very, very mad at Wildcard.

Right, anyway, I don't actually need the details of the design, so where did we leave off?
Spoiler:
And there we go! Another good chapter, I think, despite the little hiccup over the design of the locomotive.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:18 am

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:So I can just ignore it, then, without causing offense or missing anything?
THATS WHAT I SAID ALL ALONG!
Sorry. I just didn't think it likely that Fuzzy simply didn't have a design.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:30 pm

You're hilarious Hinds
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 pm

...Thanks?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Another fun piece from Penby.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:52 pm

I stopped being lazy and read through the new chapter yesterday.

I like Unity, I do, and I can see she's vital to the plot and may or may not have a connection to Protege, but I'm still a Sunny Number Seven shipper.

Don't have much to say about the chapter other than I liked it and kinda funny how it focused so much on the cold when I myself was unable to get warm while reading it. I'd handled all the snow worse than the others haha.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Hah!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 pm

The original pic has been around a few months, but this edit of it I have never seen before. That's hilarious and adorable. Sweetie Belle
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Penby's been at it again.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 pm

He showed me that the other day.

...Glimmerbutt. Sweetie Belle 
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:27 pm

Lookie what I found.
Spoiler:
Source
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:46 pm

RoboRed wrote:Lookie what I found.
Spoiler:
Source

excellent
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:09 am

50,632 words...

...You hear that sound, Fuzzy? That's the sound of my head cracking wide open and my brain running away. asdfawefafgsdgasdgsfadffsfsgs
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:03 am

RoboRed wrote:50,632 words...

...You hear that sound, Fuzzy? That's the sound of my head cracking wide open and my brain running away. asdfawefafgsdgasdgsfadffsfsgs

haha...tis a drop in the bucket compared to the million word 208 chapter story I read over the past week
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next