Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Science and computer thread

4 posters

Go down

Science and computer thread Empty Science and computer thread

Post by Guest Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:44 pm

This is were anything scientific and or computer conversation, picture, project etc. Will go so post away you nerds :P (mostly me and JJP might use it)

Back to top Go down

Science and computer thread Empty Re: Science and computer thread

Post by Tia Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 pm

New Server equip :D

http://rainbowjjp.malware-site.www/imghost/DSCN1518.JPG

Spoiler:
Tia
Tia
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 7

Character List:
Name: RainbowJJP
Sex: Colt
Species: Pegasus

http://rainbowjjp.malware-site.www

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 am

Looks cool :P

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 pm

I know this sounds stupid but what's difference between ionic, metallic, and covalent bonds?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Bubbles wrote:I know this sounds stupid but what's difference between ionic, metallic, and covalent bonds?

Metallic bonds I don't know, but covalent bonds are from two atoms that are neutral in charge and share electrons, these molecules formed often have a pole (as in the case of H2O) and ionic bonds involve attraction between oppositely charged ions, these
Molecules formed shouldn't have a charge but as with most rules it's not 100%. NaCl is an ionic bond formed by opposite Charges attracting. (the sodium is positive and chlorine is negative, if I remember correctly)

EDIT: looked in my notebook, Ionic bonds are formed web an electron moves between the atoms, this creates the Ions that attract each other, and metallic bonds are a specific kind of covalent bond (shares electrons) where the amount of electrons shared causes every molecule to be an ion (non-neutral charge) and the electrons move between them very freely, which is why they conduct so well.
Derpy Hooves
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 31

Character List:
Name: Taters
Sex: Stallion
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by bigmikem2000 Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:09 am

I had a test on that the other day ... 65 percent Scootaloo
bigmikem2000
bigmikem2000
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm

For you TED talk lovers or pretty much all XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightfire Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:08 pm

My first time practicing html :D

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Main page</title>
</head>
<body>
<div id="containment" style="width:520px">
<div id="header" style="background-color:#000033;">
<h1 style="margin-bottom:0;color:red;">ponyland</h1></div>
<div id="Main Page" style="background-color:#000066;height:180px;width:100;float:left;">
<b>Home</b><br>
Meet the team<br>
<a href="ponyland.freeforums.org">community</a><br>
store</div>
<div id="content" style="background-color:#333366;height:200px;width:400px;float:left;">
ponyland is a new site bringing people together on one site to enjoy the show My Little Pony</div>
<div id="footer" Style="background-color:#003366;clear:both;text-align:center;">
Copyright © Ponyland</div>
<!--lots of mistakes in this one, I do not know how to edit the text and worried it may screw up but so far im memorizing the commands for html I estimate few weeks til i get good.-->
</div>
</body>
</html>
Nightfire
Nightfire
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : -19

Character List:
Name: Alice / Ranger
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Pegasus / Time traveler

Back to top Go down

Post by Tia Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I forgot this was here, i might as well post something,

Useful computer diag tip, if you come across a PC that is firing up but no picture ,boot and POST, and you are certain it is not the power supply. take out the RAM and fire it back up, your computer should beep since there is no ram. if it doesn't beep, then it a more serious problem with your motherboard or your CPU. if it does, check all the rest of the components by unplugging them and trial and error.

This is mostly useful on the cheaper motherboards, a bunch of cheap motherboard have cheap capacitors. there is a fluid in the capacitors that ends up drying up causing them not to work anymore and bulge, inspect the capacitors on your motherboard to see if they're bulging. if so, i would recommend changing them
Tia
Tia
Unicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightfire Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Rainbow Dashie wrote:I forgot this was here, i might as well post something,

Useful computer diag tip, if you come across a PC that is firing up but no picture ,boot and POST, and you are certain it is not the power supply. take out the RAM and fire it back up, your computer should beep since there is no ram. if it doesn't beep, then it a more serious problem with your motherboard or your CPU. if it does, check all the rest of the components by unplugging them and trial and error.

This is mostly useful on the cheaper motherboards, a bunch of cheap motherboard have cheap capacitors. there is a fluid in the capacitors that ends up drying up causing them not to work anymore and bulge, inspect the capacitors on your motherboard to see if they're bulging. if so, i would recommend changing them
i actually never knew that :P
Nightfire
Nightfire
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : -19

Character List:
Name: Alice / Ranger
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Pegasus / Time traveler

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Or you know instead of spending up to $8 on capacitors and trying to save the cheap motherboard, you could just spend $60 and get a new one that probably won't die.

I'm just thinking many people would probably fail horribly at trying to replace the capacitors, there's such a high chance for failure because the solder points on motherboards are so tiny.
Derpy Hooves
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 31

Character List:
Name: Taters
Sex: Stallion
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tia Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Derpy Hooves wrote:

Or you know instead of spending up to $8 on capacitors and trying to save the cheap motherboard, you could just spend $60 and get a new one that probably won't die.

I'm just thinking many people would probably fail horribly at trying to replace the capacitors, there's such a high chance for failure because the solder points on motherboards are so tiny.

Depending on some people and their spending habits, they may have bought a cheap computer from some big box company. some of them have proprietary mobos and may not be easy or cost effective to get a new mobo. EDIT: especially on the mini-ITX's with the proprietary PS connectors

besides if you do replace the caps, the motherboard is less likely to fail in the future if you bought some good caps (Panasonic, etc)

At work we don't charge much to resolder caps, there are also some very instructive guides on youtube

This is really for the people who want to try something new, or the DIYers
Tia
Tia
Unicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down