Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+19
Moodyman90
tylertoon2
iLateralGX
RoboRed
O. Hinds
StoneSlinger88
Ironmonger
Cptadder
brony all alone
Kattlarv
Scienza
Ketchup
Valikdu
Harmony Ltd.
Stringtheory
Frost
Katarn
Tytan
Vinylshadow
23 posters

Page 22 of 31 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 22 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Tytan Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 pm

As I've learned there's no point in arguing what happened in the comics, the only canon is what story is being written right now.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 22 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Amen to that
It's nice to get a fresh start on a series

I don't care what people say, The Amazing Spider-Man films were awesome and I'm looking forward to the next four
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Age of Ultron proves once again my inner 12 year old could not handle this shit. I mean come on, it's not just a new Avengers movie... it's an Avengers move after we had Thor 2, Cap 2, Ironman 3 and Guardians.

It's not only a promise of what's to come but what's to come after that. We are possibly getting Antman, Doctor Strange plus Cap 3, Thor 3, Guardians 2 and all with the promise leadup to Avengers 3.

Unlike say Jason 5 or Friday the 13 part X every single Marvel movie in small and large ways leads into the next one so not only are we promised a great Joss movie but more content to come.

Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 pm

The thing about the Marvel movies is that even the bad ones can pass for decent movies. It's almost uncanny how they've been able to pull this off for so long.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Man, I still need to get around to seeing Captain America 2. Apparently it was really good, or something. I didn't much care for the first one, so I don't put much stock in that.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:The thing about the Marvel movies is that even the bad ones can pass for decent movies. It's almost uncanny how they've been able to pull this off for so long.
Every Marvel movie since Iron man can claim at least 30 minutes of good movie.
Cptadder
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:44 pm

WWII in a nutshell :
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:14 am

Finally did a write-up for a universe I've been rolling around in my head:

900 Years in the Future (Best working title off the top of my head):
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 am

A thing I've never liked in Fantasy is the pervasive view that some races are "good" or "evil".

It's even worse in D&D related works, where "good" and "evil" are such universal, absolute truth that just reading someone's aura give you the information.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:49 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:A thing I've never liked in Fantasy is the pervasive view that some races are "good" or "evil".

It's even worse in D&D related works, where "good" and "evil" are such universal, absolute truth that just reading someone's aura give you the information.
Yeah, it irks me too, when I get around to running my own serious D&D campaign I'm going with the view of alignments are a one word summery of a creature's nature, reality is more complex that and a cleric casting 'detect evil' gets the result based on their god's definition of 'evil'.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:56 am

@String
Sounds like it could be clever. I'd make sure you subvert the "war of good vs. evil" theme by the book's show's end - that's what makes it something more than just standard fantasy in a new context. And not just in a "good guys are morally suspect, bad guys have good aspects" way - that's overdone as hell. Basically, you're running a parody, but it has to be more than just invoking the fantasy "tropes" and poking fun if you want to make it memorable. Look at Cabin in the Woods: it's a loving parody that plays itself out fairly straight until the third act, where it asks questions about the long-term viability of the world it proposes AND whether or not we actually want the "heroes" to come out on top (and, moreover, it doesn't answer them).

I dunno, I'm kinda rambling a bit, probably. Just make sure you have good characters that play with the themes in interesting ways, and you should be k.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:30 am

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:@String
Sounds like it could be clever. I'd make sure you subvert the "war of good vs. evil" theme by the book's show's end - that's what makes it something more than just standard fantasy in a new context. And not just in a "good guys are morally suspect, bad guys have good aspects" way - that's overdone as hell. Basically, you're running a parody, but it has to be more than just invoking the fantasy "tropes" and poking fun if you want to make it memorable. Look at Cabin in the Woods: it's a loving parody that plays itself out fairly straight until the third act, where it asks questions about the long-term viability of the world it proposes AND whether or not we actually want the "heroes" to come out on top (and, moreover, it doesn't answer them).

I dunno, I'm kinda rambling a bit, probably. Just make sure you have good characters that play with the themes in interesting ways, and you should be k.
Don't worry, any kind of 'good vs. evil' theme will probably go out the window pretty quickly in favor of 'why the hell would we want to start a war with them anyway over a 900 year old grudge? They're our biggest trading partner, if we went to war, not just our economy would crash, but probably the entire world's and I want to stay elected next term!' I'd probably make the over arching theme of the series 'everyone's just trying to navigate an increasingly complex world'. And I just realized how easy it would be to make jabs at the real world from within this series...
It's more of an idea that I'd pitch to some brilliant anime/movie/book creator if I had actual connections, since I know I'd never be able to do the concept justice. If I was to sit down and write/script/whatever right now, I'd probably go for some form of 'there is no honor in killing despite what knights say'. (probably because I just finished watching Fate/Zero recently). Mostly I have it spinning around in my head because I really like the idea of a 'modern' fantasy world, not to mention I also find magi-tech to be an awesome concept that isn't explored enough. For example, combat spells would be regulated like guns in our world and the typical job for a magic user is essentially being a factory worker making stuff that runs on magic. This would probably lead to the class split that magic users would probably be mostly middle class, while non-magical people are mainly either old-guard upper class or poor because any job outside of menial work usually requires some degree of magical aptitude. Not to mention because of genetics or something more and more of the population is magic sensitive over the centuries.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:49 am

Now, if you want a great subversion of the Good v Evil dichotomy I recommend you read Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw. I won't spoil it for you but it turns a lot of well worn tropes on their head.

If you don't feel like reading it Yahtzee did the reading for the audiobook as well.

Last edited by Tytan on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 am

Pretty rad KLK cosplay:

http://ubercharge.co.vu/post/100795271846/wil-tsun-kiryuin-satsuki-cn-alienorihara
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:04 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Pretty rad KLK cosplay:

http://ubercharge.co.vu/post/100795271846/wil-tsun-kiryuin-satsuki-cn-alienorihara
WOW.
Derpy Hooves
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 am

That's very very nice cosplay.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:10 am

Stringtheory wrote:reality is more complex

Stringtheory wrote:reality

I was under the impression that D&D was fantasy.

Kidding aside, I read your posts but I thought the point of these games was to give the player an alien world to explore not to be a reminder of the one they live in. That type of campaign would to me, I'd think, make the world more mundane then exciting.

Edit: Eh, sorry about that. Didn't read your first post explaining the setting. Just gonna strike it out and hope this mistake teaches me to look closer or at the very least pay more attention. Sorry again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:34 am

In this modern fantasy world, it'd be quite amusing to see just how integrated all the "good" and "evil" races are, as well as the "monsters"--that vampire that showed up at your workplace? He's just on the night shift. That werewolf shows up at your campsite? Park ranger, letting you know that there's severe weather coming in.

It'd be interesting to see how people/creatures don't necessarily act evil when they aren't treated as evil from birth.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 am

All my pre-Army job interviews:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:51 am

Ah, nothing like the blunt honest truth to make people angry at you
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:06 am

Your avatar looks like Tidus. That alone is enough to want to RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 pm

It is odd how Roxas looks like Tidus

Tidus:

But then again, don't most blonde-haired, blue-eyed protagonists look the same?

Or could be because the games were made by the same company...I think
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:20 pm

I've still got no idea if those are supposed to be dudes or chicks. 

Man, Japan lost its shit. What happened to the days of bloodthirsty, suicidal militarism and fanatical imperialism? Nowadays it's all about spike-haired boy-women and "cute" animals. 

I miss the days of seppuku and feudal oppression.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Ruroni Kenshin has spiky-haired boy-chicks and feudal oppression though
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Mister Frost wrote:I've still got no idea if those are supposed to be dudes or chicks. 

Man, Japan lost its shit. What happened to the days of bloodthirsty, suicidal militarism and fanatical imperialism? Nowadays it's all about spike-haired boy-women and "cute" animals. 

I miss the days of seppuku and feudal oppression.
Apparently, my great-granddad was a collaborator during the Japanese occupation of Korea.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:54 pm

My Grandpa (of Polish descent) was fighting for 'Murica on Utah beach. 

I carry on that legacy by sitting here in someone else's broken track while my Brigade pretends to train and test dumbass radios. Truly, the way of the warrior never changes
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Keeping the dream alive - still have to be asleep to believe it though
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:45 pm

My Grandpa was stationed in Hawaii, I'm pretty sure sometime around the korean war. He punched a lieutenant in the face that woke him up a little to suddenly.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Well, at least he remembered his training

Always throw the first and last punch
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:20 pm

That has never been in any hand-to-hand combat training ever.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 31 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 31  Next