Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

+12
Icy Shake
CamoBadger
Stringtheory
StoneSlinger88
Frost
cb5
Scienza
Somber
Moodyman90
Meleagridis
O. Hinds
Harmony Ltd.
16 posters

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 28 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by Evilgidgit Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Evilgidgit wrote:Why wouldn't Stable #16 need heating? Unless ponies are in to cold baths and showers.
Oh, I hadn't thought of the water.  Sorry.  I've been low on sleep this week.

Evilgidgit wrote:Wasn't the Crusader put in #29 to see how a Stable would run under the control of the cold logic of a machine rather than the emotionally-driven decisions of an Overmare? Perhaps a Pinkie Pie AI was put in #43 as a counterpart of sorts to see how an emotion-driven AI would work.
Oh, building an artificial princess?

Evilgidgit wrote:#43 might've ended their charade since someone would likely have questioned things or simply checked the Stable's specs to learn of the Overmares.
Oops, I forgot to reply to that one.  I can't think of anything now, though.

Evilgidgit wrote:#54 might've succeeded to some capacity, at least that's what I would like to imagine. An additional idea was that at some point during the experiment, when the handicapped populace became more independent, MoP robots designed to aid handicapped people were deployed to see if the ponies would remain self-reliable or would end up relying on the robots.
No, I mean, that only works for the first generation.

Evilgidgit wrote:I do consider FE, PH, Pink Eyes, Murky, and Heroes (when I get around to reading it) all part of my headcanon. But why would it be tricky to put a Pinkie AI into a Stable if PH is canon?
Somber wrote:>AB, hey Bloom.  I was digging through some of the MWT’s Stable-Tec files and lookie what I found.  Mind transfer to a computer?  Sexy, Bloom.  Really sexy.  You’ve been holding out.  I saw what you have cooking at 29, 33, and 94.  Hope you don’t mind if I snag the designs, ROFL.  This has got some real possibilities if we can reverse it.  Play around a bit.  -H.
Is that a reference to Cognitum's current state or were you asking if I had ideas to build an artificial princess? If it's the latter, than the answer is no.

For #54, the original generation would have kids but most would probably be non-handicapped, so unless I become really sadistic and have the non-disabled killed off by the robots so only the independent handicapped community remains, the Stable would be a pretty normal place 200 years on. I may have other purposes for #54 if I write any FE stories.

Oh dear. Is Horse saying that 29, 33, and 94 all had mind transfer technology? Should I reassign the Stable?
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 28 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by O. Hinds Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:Is that a reference to Cognitum's current state or were you asking if I had ideas to build an artificial princess? If it's the latter, than the answer is no.
Ah, sorry. It seemed clear in my head. When you said that the computer was not equipped to socialize but actually running a ponylike, emotion-driven intelligence, I assumed that you were going for the immortality advantage (and possibly the expandability). Hence an artificial princess, with power over the technology linked into it instead of powerful celestial magic.

Evilgidgit wrote:Oh dear. Is Horse saying that 29, 33, and 94 all had mind transfer technology? Should I reassign the Stable?
I interpreted that as 29, 33, and 94 being the AI-based Stables.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Doesn't Cognitum pretty much fit that role of a princess of machinery.

I just realised Stable #33 is already an AI Stable in F.E. Starlight so I can't transfer #43 to there. Suppose the backstory is that Stable-Tec let MoM fund the Stable, and Pinkie made sure she was watching ponies FOREVER!
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:Doesn't Cognitum pretty much fit that role of a princess of machinery.
...I think that perhaps you may still not be getting my point. I'm afraid that I can't think of any other way to state it at the moment, though.

Evilgidgit wrote:I just realised Stable #33 is already an AI Stable in F.E. Starlight so I can't transfer #43 to there. Suppose the backstory is that Stable-Tec let MoM fund the Stable, and Pinkie made sure she was watching ponies FOREVER!
As I recall, I've tried Starlight several times but never finished the first chapter. That backstory might work, though!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Evilgidgit wrote:Doesn't Cognitum pretty much fit that role of a princess of machinery.
...I think that perhaps you may still not be getting my point.  I'm afraid that I can't think of any other way to state it at the moment, though.

Evilgidgit wrote:I just realised Stable #33 is already an AI Stable in F.E. Starlight so I can't transfer #43 to there. Suppose the backstory is that Stable-Tec let MoM fund the Stable, and Pinkie made sure she was watching ponies FOREVER!
As I recall, I've tried Starlight several times but never finished the first chapter.  That backstory might work, though!
I do think I understand what you're saying. The Cognitum quip was just pointing out she is Luna's computer clone and has influence over a lot of machines. The Pinkie Pro AI's purpose would be to keep morale in the Stable but also order and basically acted as the Overmare, acting as a counterpart to the Crusader in #29 which solely follows protocol and has the mind of a machine. Pinkie Pro is also a machine, but makes emotion-based decisions since she is programmed with a replication of Pinkie Pie's mind and personality. However, that also comes with the Pinkamena side, which materialises when the citizens don't obey or respect her. And the first incident leads to "the greatest party ever", and the events of that cause Pinkie Pro to overload of sorts and take on a personality more reminiscent to Great War!Pinkie.

I enjoy reading Starlight, the characters are enjoyable, and has some nifty mythos surrounding the Elements of Harmony, albeit in a bizarre way. Stable #33 is located in Friendship City (how that works is beyond me) and basically has GLaDOS /Vault 112's sadistic Overseer as an evil AI. However, Starlight can't fit into my own headcanon since Discord pops up as a statue in Fillydelphia and then as a badguy, among other things.
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:11 pm

By "artificial princess", I meant an immortal, powerful ruler with a ponylike mind, as opposed to the nonponylike drives of the Stable 29 computer.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Yes, that that's about right, although I wouldn't say immortal. The Pinkie AI would likely have a failsafe installed just in case. I took the princess part a bit too literally.
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:20 pm

What do we know about Dragons in the Fallout Equestria setting?

We know they exist (very obviously) and we know they are still players and actors in the current world (Spike, that dragon Littlepip killed at the Shattered Hoof Correctional Facility, "Mouse", ...).

A question, though, would be: how common a sight are they in the "current day" Wasteland?

From show-canon, we know that even though Dragons tend to be solitary creatures, they used to attend some kind of annual migration, to someplace likely out of Equestria, in order to meet other of their kind, and most likely to breed more of them (though given the lifespan of dragons you could probably argue such a thing isn't as common as it could be).

This leads me to wonder about the state of that place, in a world that saw a global thaumaturgical war. This also make me wonder if dragons should be put on the list of endangered species...

Anyway, if this question came, is because I thought of a possible way to make the Neighpon region interesting.

After the region got incinerated and covered in volcanic ashes after the biblical volcanic eruption that swallowed the place in the wakes of the Days of Fire, I was thinking that one or several dragons may have elected residence in the ruins of the city. Possibly dragons that were previously at the service of the old Pax Roamana during the Great War.

There's a point I'm hesitating on, though. It would be to say that so much volcanic ashes covered the region that the parts that got irradiated during the balefire exchange are now buried under dozens of metres of non-irradiated, extremely fertile soil.

A valuable terrain pre-Garden, which so happened to be guarded by one or several powerful dragons.

Just thinking this may leave interesting opportunities to build some background.

How many Dragon Emperors does it take to screw a lightbulb?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Pre-Garden, if the place was in fact a prosperous community producing a large output of freshly grown food, it may have been a very important centre of trade, and thus power, on the Peninsula's East Coast.

Post-Garden though, and moreover post-"NCR-sending-free-food-to-the-rest-of-the-peninsula", things may have been shacked up a bit other there.

This gets my gears grinding.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 pm

I wonder how the place fared during the Bitter War.

I suppose being under the protection of one or several Dragons, at a time when the Enclave-related factions had lost most of their anti-Dragon weaponries and were busy enough fighting the rest of the Wasteland, may have had some advantages.

Hmm... I guess it may just have been one of the few oasis of stability in the Wasteland for a good while, then.

Most probably, it would all rest on the personality of the dragon(s) who took over the place.

[gear grinding intensifies]
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Iiiiinteresting, yes indeed.  :D

re the Bitter War: It would indeed depend on the personalities, but, with no further information at the moment, I'd imagine them being proudly isolationist (though willing to sell food to both sides). Oh, though there might be factions in court arguing for both sides (and with ambassadors from both sides who would really like to have a large force of dragons), one saying that wiping out the rest of the surface civilization on the Peninsula would greatly reduce trade and the other saying that the dragons could then simply loot the entire place if it had anything they wanted.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Thoughts:

The original Dragon who would have landed there in the wake of the Days of Fire may have been one of the Alpha-Dragons, a natural leader, one of those with whom the Pax Roamana negotiated for the Dragon's help in the War in the first place. He may have been accompanied by a few Beta-Dragons, or maybe they got there after a while (weeks? months? years? Did they follow a beacon or stumbled upon the place by accident?).

Anyway, the Alpha decided would be good real-estate, and being one of those dragon not happy to simply rest on their hoard, thought about a way to make this real-estate bear some metaphorical fruits.

After a bit of thought, he took the decision to have the land bear some literal fruits. The reports his Betas had given him from the rest of the Wasteland was that the land had been turned infertile from the heavy balefire contamination. As an highly placed ally of the Pax Roamana, he knew enough of Wartime Equestria to know about the Stables, and he knew the ponies living there would want to get out, sooner or later. And what he was looking at, around him, was a relatively large tract of land that was only slightly radioactive, a radiation which would have decayed by the time the first survivors would come out of the stables.

So the Dragons, as Dragons know how to do, bid their time, and prepared for the arrival of the first survivors.

When the time came, and the circumstances finally allowed for it, they proposed the recently-surfaced stable-dwellers a deal: get food, water & protection, in exchange for their work. An honest to goodness medieval servitude contract.

As beggars can hardly be choosers, the stable-dwellers accepted. From there, a strange society arose in the following decades, where a Dragon Leader, assisted by a suit of fellow dragons, lorded over ponies and other surfacers, trading food and water for gems and other shiny valuables.

Strangely enough, it worked pretty well. It helped that the Alpha was savvy enough to reign in the basest instinct of his Betas, punishing harshly any abuse on the serfs on their part, and playing each of his Betas against each others to keep them busy - lest one of them grew too confident and tried to take his place.

Technologically, the place wasn't really well developed (in the Pre-Garden period), manual labour being enough to be productive where agricultural work was concerned, earth pony magic helping.

Post-Garden, however, the place has grown unstable, as the basis on which the place built itself was now obsolete (food isn't scarce anymore). So the Dragon leadership has needed to make some adjustments.

The way I see it, the Dragons are most probably -primarily- driven by Greed.

Now the question is: given their current situation, what would be the best way for them to keep Trade going?  Applebloom

possible answer:
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Harmony wrote:Thoughts:

The original Dragon who would have landed there in the wake of the Days of Fire may have been one of the Alpha-Dragons, a natural leader, one of those with whom the Pax Roamana negotiated for the Dragon's help in the War in the first place. He may have been accompanied by a few Beta-Dragons, or maybe they got there after a while (weeks? months? years? Did they follow a beacon or stumbled upon the place by accident?).

Anyway, the Alpha decided would be good real-estate, and being one of those dragon not happy to simply rest on their hoard, thought about a way to make this real-estate bear some metaphorical fruits.

After a bit of thought, he took the decision to have the land bear some literal fruits. The reports his Betas had given him from the rest of the Wasteland was that the land had been turned infertile from the heavy balefire contamination. As an highly placed ally of the Pax Roamana, he knew enough of Wartime Equestria to know about the Stables, and he knew the ponies living there would want to get out, sooner or later. And what he was looking at, around him, was a relatively large tract of land that was only slightly radioactive, a radiation which would have decayed by the time the first survivors would come out of the stables.

So the Dragons, as Dragons know how to do, bid their time, and prepared for the arrival of the first survivors.

When the time came, and the circumstances finally allowed for it, they proposed the recently-surfaced stable-dwellers a deal: get food, water & protection, in exchange for their work. An honest to goodness medieval servitude contract.

As beggars can hardly be choosers, the stable-dwellers accepted. From there, a strange society arose in the following decades, where a Dragon Leader, assisted by a suit of fellow dragons, lorded over ponies and other surfacers, trading food and water for gems and other shiny valuables.

Strangely enough, it worked pretty well. It helped that the Alpha was savvy enough to reign in the basest instinct of his Betas, punishing harshly any abuse on the serfs on their part, and playing each of his Betas against each others to keep them busy - lest one of them grew too confident and tried to take his place.

Technologically, the place wasn't really well developed (in the Pre-Garden period), manual labour being enough to be productive where agricultural work was concerned, earth pony magic helping.
Hm, yes, that sounds like about what your earlier posts had gotten me thinking of, though I'd not gone so far as to wonder where the dragons got the ponies.

Another thought: Neighpon may have had a secret understanding with the GPE involving the GPE forgetting to properly maintain the cloud ceiling over Neighpon and Neighpon not giving the GPE's Raptors free field tests.  Agriculture in the Equestrian Wasteland was restrained by the lack of sunlight as well as the contamination of the soil, after all.  Neighpon probably wouldn't have a total absence of clouds like Masozi, but the ceiling could be thin and patchy enough to light light for agriculture through.
If there was such a deal, it would likely be another complication to the decision about what role, if any, Neighpon ought to take in the Bitter War.

Harmony wrote:Post-Garden, however, the place has grown unstable, as the basis on which the place built itself was now obsolete (food isn't scarce anymore). So the Dragon leadership has needed to make some adjustments.
Hm.  And that's probably another argument by the Bitter-supporters, actually, that Neigpon will lose its trade anyway.

Harmony wrote:The way I see it, the Dragons are most probably -primarily- driven by Greed.

Now the question is: given their current situation, what would be the best way for them to keep Trade going?  Applebloom

possible answer:
Hah, interesting idea.  :)  Let's see, though…

Reasons against: The Alliance needs Neighpon's food even less than the Peninsula does; when the Alliance trades in food, it's as an exporter from the fishing fleets and the fertile and expanding farmlands in Zebrica.  Neighpon's food exports could be added to those of the rest of the Alliance once they were brought close, but it's not a reason to bring them close.
In addition, unless and until the Moojave Union forms and reopens the canal, ships traveling between Neighpon and the Alliance would have to sail all the way around the Peninsula and through the Zanzebra Strait.  The land routes are more of less out of the question, and airspace passage would likely have to be negotiated.

Reasons for: Neighpon does have, however, a strategic location, a ready populace of workers, a preexisting defense force and food supply that won't require a strain on Alliance resources, and likely several dragons who could be deployed where needed.  It also has geothermal power potential, meaning that, while Elusive couldn't as easily get it hooked on his oil, he also wouldn't have to ensure that supply ships got through regularly.  For their part, Neighpon could benefit greatly from the Company's help in industrializing.

Hm…  Though there's the question of why Neighpon would allow the Alliance to stick around once the factories were up and running.  And they'd have to have a reason at least good enough for the Alliance to believe, otherwise the factories wouldn't get up and running.  Hm.  I don't seem to have any ideas for this at the moment.

Last edited by O. Hinds on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Regarding "neo-neighpon"'s/"draconia"'s (name will be changed once I have a good enough idea) relation with the Enclave and the arguments they can use to convince them of lifting the cloud cover,

I hear berries are a pretty valued commodity up there?

Though I doubt "draconia" will support the Bitters in the end, if only because the leadership is experienced enough to recognize that the Bitters would want to get rid of them and betray their words at the first convenient time. Most probably, they'll just stand aside and show their fangs to any approaching their land with ill-intents during the conflict.

Which mean they could also get some interesting flux of immigration during that time.

I also doubt Elusive would try to integrate the place into the Alliance (at least in the near future, as we know what his end goal is), but he would still probably try to build good relations with them; if only to undermine and contain once again, the NCR's expansion.

On the other side of the fence, the dragons probably have interest in playing the NCR and the Alliance against each other for their patronage, as long as they can portray themselves as potentially useful and potentially dangerous enough.

Which gets me to the previous part about "interesting immigration". What do you think it would take to convince Steel Rangers (not Applejack Rangers) to cooperate with old dragons who fought against Equestria in the Great War to try to build back some kind of industrial base?

Remember the most basic motivation of the Dragons there is greed: for gems, primarily, but by now also for wealth and power.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 pm

(also I need to go to sleep soon, seeing as I seem to be getting rather incohebbhjqflhbgqrbglj
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Harmony wrote:Regarding "neo-neighpon"'s/"draconia"'s (name will be changed once I have a good enough idea) relation with the Enclave and the arguments they can use to convince them of lifting the cloud cover,

I hear berries are a pretty valued commodity up there?
:D

Harmony wrote:Though I doubt "draconia" will support the Bitters in the end, if only because the leadership is experienced enough to recognize that the Bitters would want to get rid of them and betray their words at the first convenient time. Most probably, they'll just stand aside and show their fangs to any approaching their land with ill-intents during the conflict.
Aye. The moderate isolationists will probably win out.

Harmony wrote:Which mean they could also get some interesting flux of immigration during that time.
Hm, yes… And we still haven't seen what state the Remnant will be in after PH and ATR…

Harmony wrote:I also doubt Elusive would try to integrate the place into the Alliance (at least in the near future, as we know what his end goal is), but he would still probably try to build good relations with them; if only to undermine and contain once again, the NCR's expansion.

On the other side of the fence, the dragons probably have interest in playing the NCR and the Alliance against each other for their patronage, as long as they can portray themselves as potentially useful and potentially dangerous enough.
Aye. The Alliance offers bribes aid and requests that maybe the dragons could request Alliance protection, the NCR offers even larger bribes more aid and says that surely the dragons don't need more protection, etc., etc. The dragons get to play the game of small Cold War states courting both superpowers at once for a steady stream of aid.

Harmony wrote:Which gets me to the previous part about "interesting immigration". What do you think it would take to convince Steel Rangers (not Applejack Rangers) to cooperate with old dragons who fought against Equestria in the Great War to try to build back some kind of industrial base?
…Hm. Now that is tricky. Rose Eye is also trying to attract Steel Rangers, so we might be able to find something there… except that I'm not sure how she'd be successful, either.

Harmony wrote:(also I need to go to sleep soon, seeing as I seem to be getting rather incohebbhjqflhbgqrbglj
And I, for my part, am getting pretty hungry. Goodnight!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony wrote:Which gets me to the previous part about "interesting immigration". What do you think it would take to convince Steel Rangers (not Applejack Rangers) to cooperate with old dragons who fought against Equestria in the Great War to try to build back some kind of industrial base?
…Hm.  Now that is tricky.  Rose Eye is also trying to attract Steel Rangers, so we might be able to find something there… except that I'm not sure how she'd be successful, either.
And now this brings the interesting possibility of Rose Eye and the Dragons working together to satisfy their common interests...

Surely the NCR might be a bit more hesitant to attack the Rose Banner in the South if it would mean possibly angering a bunch of Dragons in its eastern frontier, right?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:30 am

Relations between "Draconia" and the Rose Banner would probably be influenced, if only because of geography, by the state of affairs in Kalcolta and New Oatleans.

As for Kalcolta, is there background yet on how big / large the river is when it reaches the city / the sea? Because I was thinking of something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nampo_Dam
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Harmony wrote:And now this brings the interesting possibility of Rose Eye and the Dragons working together to satisfy their common interests...

Surely the NCR might be a bit more hesitant to attack the Rose Banner in the South if it would mean possibly angering a bunch of Dragons in its eastern frontier, right?
Hm, yes, but what to the dragons get out of it? The Banner are basically under trade sanctions due to their anti-NCR stance. Though… Hm… The dragons know that both the NCR and the Alliance, while offering help, would be trying to get their hooks into Neighpon. If the dragons, after Neighpon was built up, decided to cut ties, they'd have to deal with resistance. Being dragons, they might be confident in winning, but they'd still lose wealth blown up by the conflict. The Banner can offer technical assistance too (though not as good as that from the Alliance), and Rose Eye, while she'd certainly like to take over the entire planet and then some, has her eyes on LittlePip and the NCR first and is aware that she likely won't live to see even them fall. She could even be persuaded to let the dragons trade with the NCR after Neighpon and the Banner separated (assuming that they did so, which I'm not sure, and that the NCR was willing to trade with Neighpon, which they probably would due to the realpolitik concern of stopping the Alliance from strolling in) as long as the dragons ensured that the NCR came off the worse in any deals. Which the dragons would be trying to do anyway. Hm, yes, this is an interesting idea.

Harmony wrote:Relations between "Draconia" and the Rose Banner would probably be influenced, if only because of geography, by the state of affairs in Kalcolta and New Oatleans.
Aye. This could also be impetus for the Banner to get the canal repaired.
Though a flying dragon can probably carry a fair amount of cargo.

Harmony wrote:As for Kalcolta, is there background yet on how big / large the river is when it reaches the city / the sea? Because I was thinking of something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nampo_Dam
Not really; the city hasn't been developed much yet. The dam looks interesting, though. What in particular were you thinking?

Also, you've been reading ATR, right? That's the main source of information on the New Oatleans area, and is in fact why New Oatleans is on my map.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Haven't gotten past chapter... 3 I believe(?) of ATR. Might try to continue reading it someday, but that's not currently on my to-do list.

As for the dam, I had just in mind the idea of it having been built to produce energy, from the river's currents and / or from the sea's tides. Also probably something about the city being a harbor or something. IIRC, hadn't we talked about how the city could be the principal submarine pen of Equestria in the Sea of Equestria? Maybe the Dam could serve as some sort of protection for the military harbor?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Possibly. I'm not sure.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm not sure if this is useful to us, but it's pretty impressive
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 am

Yeah, I knew about that one. Pretty impressive indeed.

Supposedly they're now trying to build the tallest tower in the world with the same technique, with the goal of achieving it in less than a year (or was it six month? I don't remember...).
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm

You remember that idea I talked about a while ago, about that Memorial in the Manehattan's Balefire Crater, commemorating all the victims of war, from the Great War onward?

I had an idea, that the organization in charge of maintaining this monument may have put up an installation displaying all the names of the known victims on a screen (with the war in which they died, and if available the age and place of death), in front of some kind of garden where one picket is raised for every one hundred dead, one picket being painted in white for every one hundred known names, the others being painted in black.

The intended impact being to show at the same time how inhuman war is, in that we don't even know the name of those who were killed, while also showing that, dammit, we care and are still trying to commemorate their memories, and are actively trying to at least learn their names.

As for how the organization is learning these names, I guess it's a matter of digging up archives, finding dog-tags on corpses, and other means. There's probably a lot of volunteer work going on.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:19 pm

By the way, if we go with the idea that Equestria was populated by around 80 million people at the start of the Great War, take into account the fact that the conflict took two decades to reach its ultimate conclusion; and if we take also into account the death in the Pax Roamana, assuming they were at least 50% more numerous than Equestria

We have to look at around 200 million dead, or even more.

At 100 dead per picket, that makes two million pickets.

The whole crater would probably be full of pickets.

Idea: on each white picket, a plate engraved with a hundred names, with the associated race, age and place of death.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Harmony wrote:You remember that idea I talked about a while ago, about that Memorial in the Manehattan's Balefire Crater, commemorating all the victims of war, from the Great War onward?

I had an idea, that the organization in charge of maintaining this monument may have put up an installation displaying all the names of the known victims on a screen (with the war in which they died, and if available the age and place of death), in front of some kind of garden where one picket is raised for every one hundred dead, one picket being painted in white for every one hundred known names, the others being painted in black.

The intended impact being to show at the same time how inhuman war is, in that we don't even know the name of those who were killed, while also showing that, dammit, we care and are still trying to commemorate their memories, and are actively trying to at least learn their names.

As for how the organization is learning these names, I guess it's a matter of digging up archives, finding dog-tags on corpses, and other means. There's probably a lot of volunteer work going on.
That sounds like a nice design for a memorial. I bet that the Followers have at least some involvement.

Harmony wrote:By the way, if we go with the idea that Equestria was populated by around 80 million people at the start of the Great War, take into account the fact that the conflict took two decades to reach its ultimate conclusion; and if we take also into account the death in the Pax Roamana, assuming they were at least 50% more numerous than Equestria

We have to look at around 200 million dead, or even more.

At 100 dead per picket, that makes two million pickets.

The whole crater would probably be full of pickets.

Idea: on each white picket, a plate engraved with a hundred names, with the associated race, age and place of death.
...Yeah, that really does help drive home just how huge the war was.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Oh, though it might be better to raise stone columns. They'll last much longer than pickets would, and they'd possibly be more impactful. There'd be a similar effect looking down on the site, but, if one was in among them, one would be in a column forest instead of still looking out over a sea of pickets.

Of course, columns would also be more expensive, so pickets might be used at first, until the economy can support adding columns. Though ghoul workers might help with that for a number of reasons.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:29 pm

well, the crater is only, like, two kilometres large or something like that? They'd be still relatively small stone columns, by necessity. Or it would be more something like 1000 dead by column.

Still, 200k stone columns... if they're high and thin enough, yeah.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:29 pm

okay, according to the map I have, the crater is around 3 kilometres in diameter.

3.14*3² = 28.26 square kilometres

Let's say 28 square kilometres. 28 million square metres. This leaves around a thousand square metres per columns, on a basis of one column per thousand dead.

So still a bit of space between each columns.

Interesting.

Yeah, I think this can even manage to look awe-some (you know, in that it provoke awe).
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm envisioning the space between each column to be styled as a garden, with flowers, alleys, benches.

The problem being that it's fuck-mothering huge, at least two or three times bigger than the Central-Park equivalent in the Tenpony borough. And contrary to Tenpony, the borough of Downtown Manehatten, in which the crater is situated, has better things to spend its money on than gardening such a freakishly huge place.

So it's possible that by 30 SR, not even a fourth of the columns would have been built, with the rest being a vast empty space being conquered by vegetation and homeless people.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next