Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The mechanics of magic

2 posters

Go down

The mechanics of magic Empty The mechanics of magic

Post by WovenTales Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Hopefully this it the right forum for it. Anyway, I'm wondering what people's headcanons are on the nature of magic, and what you think of mine. It originally started as just an effort to say that earth ponies aren't as useless as they seem, but then forked out of control. Three thousand words out of control. I don't blame anyone who's less than interested in reading something this ridiculously long. And, yes, responses can be shorter.

As a side note, the first four paragraphs—and to a lesser extent, the fifth and the last—are actually all that was planned and carefully thought out. Everything else just seemed to naturally fall into place almost as quickly as it popped into my head.

Collapsed for length:
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

The mechanics of magic Empty Re: The mechanics of magic

Post by jacky2734 Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Uhm, can we get a TL:DR of that?

On the note of how magic works, I have a theories.

Are you ready, because it is mind blowing.

Spoiler:
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by WovenTales Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:49 pm

jacky2734 wrote:Uhm, can we get a TL:DR of that?
Oh, yeah. That would be helpful. Sorry!

There are four types of magic, corresponding to the four types of ponies (unicorn, pegasus, earth, and crystal (in the sense of emotion); see the second through fourth paragraphs and the first one after the small text for a description of each) and distributed among the corners of two axes: internal and "flashy" to external and much less noticeable and one resembling the active/passive split from many video games' skill systems. A second level of non-pony beings also makes use of the same types of magic (dragons, griffons, zebras, and changelings, respectively), but in slightly different ways than ponies. Finally, each of the Princesses is also tied most strongly to one of the types: in order, Twilight, Luna, Celestia, and Cadence. There was also quite a bit of looking at the psychology of it all, but that's complicated enough even with knowing the details behind it all.

Well, it's shorter, at least. I wrote most of the original as both an explanation and an exploration, often when I was half-asleep, so it's probably more complicated than it needs to be. Still not overly compressible (the TL;DR misses a lot of the nuances and even quite a number of semi-major points), but probably wouldn't be too hurt by a trimming.

On the note of how magic works, I have a theories.

Are you ready, because it is mind blowing.

Spoiler:
And quite a wizard, too! Surely she must be at least as powerful as Discord himself, were he able to focus on a single course of action for longer than a second. But to create all of Equestria in such exacting detail, down to the very nature of magic, would require a goddess beyond even the Princesses!
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down