Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gun/Military Thread

+15
Aonee
RoboRed
StoneSlinger88
Sindri
Admiral Stoic Rum
Fuzzy
jacky2734
Nightfire
Frost
Harmony Ltd.
Derpy Hooves
CamoBadger
IncoherentOrange
Ketchup
Ironmonger
19 posters

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

Gun/Military Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gun/Military Thread

Post by Frost Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Out of habit, if I'm going to shoot something with a pistol once, I'm going to shoot it 3 or 4 more times as well. Unlike with a .40, however, I can guarantee that all of those shots are fast and where I want them
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm

I saw something not long back about Taurus releasing a revolver that fires 28-gauge shotgun shells. They had some issues with it being labeled as a durrstructive durrvice but they got that worked out. Varying amounts of want.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Only 4 more times? What if they're still standing?

Since you're planning to go military, I'll give you the rule I play by: shoot them until they're flat on the floor, then just to be safe add one or two more.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm

CamoBadger wrote:Only 4 more times? What if they're still standing?

Since you're planning to go military, I'll give you the rule I play by: shoot them until they're flat on the floor, then just to be safe add one or two more.

If you don't mind me asking have you ever had to shoot someone? I say "if you don't mind" because for some people that can be touchy. I intend on treading lightly.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 pm

I was speaking metaphorically, implying the fact that I would shoot until they drop (with any weapon, not just pistol) by stating I'd pump a few more rounds in than most people generally would. I tend to be unclear, though.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Ironmonger wrote:

If you don't mind me asking have you ever had to shoot someone? I say "if you don't mind" because for some people that can be touchy. I intend on treading lightly.
Depends.
If you mean 'have I made sure I was actually the one that shot him' then no. If you mean I was one of three people firing at one guy and he went down, then yes.
And before you ask, no I don't care anymore. Why? Because as soon as they shoot at me my mind erases their humanity and they are officially a piece of meat. After we were back and safe I had a little bit of time where I was kinda screwed up, but soon I realized that he deserved it for trying to kill me and my friends.

Mister Frost wrote:I was speaking metaphorically, implying the fact that I would shoot until they drop (with any weapon, not just pistol) by stating I'd pump a few more rounds in than most people generally would. I tend to be unclear, though.
I figured, I just wanted to be a smartass Spike
Good man following that rule, fuck doubletap.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Only gun I have actually shot was an old break-action 20 gauge when I was 14. Felt like a crowbar going between my shoulder and ribs and I kept dropping the damn thing.

Also Camo what you said about them going from human to hostile has been my mindset recently. Been mentally going over how I personally would react to shooting someone but you never know until it happens.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Huh. I have no problem thinking of threats as little pieces of meat, so I am tentatively optimistic about avoiding any issues should I see combat (not trying to sound full myself here)

Also, as my fellow AR fan, we must defend against the evils of Iron's Commieness. Let this brave, brave animate piece of clothing be our inspiration:

Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
Also Camo what you said about them going from human to hostile has been my mindset recently. Been mentally going over how I personally would react to shooting someone but you never know until it happens.
Exactly. But just know you probably won't feel anything until later. Heat of the moment, adrenaline, all that stuff; it'll keep your mind in 'fight or flight' mode, and you'll just act on instinct. The moment of truth comes once you're back in safety again and it all wears off. All those movies where someone instantly feels sad or upset about shooting someone; bullshit.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:16 pm

However, if you hesitate to pull the trigger, chances are you may not at all.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Honestly my biggest fear is snipers and accidentally shooting a kid, but enough of the depressing horseshit.

I plan on upgrading an AKM, possibly having "Burlak's Beatstick" carved/put onto it.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Or you could be American and get an American gun
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Or you could be American and get an American gun

Sovetski soyuz...shoo be doo...

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Sovietski soyushove my foot up your ass, Commie

Anyway, semi-on-topic, what's everyone's favorite WWI/WWII rifle? I think we all know what mine is.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Probably the M24 for being so accurate but I also like the Kar98 and Springfield. I heard the itallian rifle was assy but the Japanese Arisaka was decent.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Ironmonger wrote:Probably the M24 for being so accurate but I also like the Kar98 and Springfield. I heard the itallian rifle was assy but the Japanese Arisaka was decent.

M24 was not a WWII rifle Derpy Hooves
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Sorry, I somehow read that as "WW2 era". As a military weapon I like the Mosin-Nagant the best. Kar98 is more of an adapted hunting weapon.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightfire Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:57 am

Ironmonger wrote:Sorry, I somehow read that as "WW2 era". As a military weapon I like the Mosin-Nagant the best. Kar98 is more of an adapted hunting weapon.

The Mosin now-a-days is cheap and really nice gun in my opinion since to me it accurate and can attach nice scope.
Nightfire
Nightfire
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : -19

Character List:
Name: Alice / Ranger
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Pegasus / Time traveler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:00 am

The Russians really liked their snipers, they could keep a lot of troops pinned while only taking up a little bit of resources.

Just played through the campaign of Halo 4, only 8 missions. Kinda sad ending too. But it was very fun piloting the Broadsword and Pelican, and it looked amazing.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:36 am

Because of availability and the fact it's the eldritch abomination of firearms in that it won't hardly die makes the Mosin a very good weapon. Add to that the design seems to tolerate a lot of modifications. A K31 is lovely if you can get a hold of one, mainly the straight-pull bolt is what's attractive but it is also rated as being very accurate.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 am

Second-place for me is the SMLE, of course
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 pm

I'd like to rechamber a SMLE for 7.62 NATO, that magazine would come in real handy. I plan on refitting a Nagant to be a marksman rifle, it's plenty accurate just a bit on the heavy side. *mans the fuck up*

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Alright, considering I am a gunsmith, I think it's my duty to put in my two cents.

AK vs. AR-15 -
In this argument, I choose a custom AR-10 with gas piston system. the .308 has better knockdown than either the AK or the AR-15, the piston system makes it's reliability comparable to an AK, and it beats both rifles in effective range.
And if we are going to discuss the AK-47, you also have to note that the country in which is was created has retired it in 1974 in favor of it's successor, the AK-74, which uses a round comparable to the 5.56 NATO used by the M-16. Also worth noting is that recently Russia has been looking into replacing the AK platform entirely in favor of high performance designs. They actually have a winning design, it's just that they literally can't afford to outfit and retrain their soldiers with it.

Bulpup designs -
Just going to say this. The chamber of an automatic rifle can become an effective micro hand grenade upon critical failure. Now imagine that grenade is 4 inches in front of your face. Now imagine you move that grenade back so that it's touching your cheek. That's why I prefer classic designs over bulpups. It also doesn't help that I'm a south-paw and have yet to see a bulpup that would allow me to simply pick it up and shoot it without having my cheek burned and/or torn up.

Mosin Nagant -
About the only round You can easily re-chamber it into is the shoulder breaking .457 big game round, so if you really need to overcompensate, you could do that. However, if you just want it so you can say you have a WWII rifle, may I recommend that you spend the extra cash and get a Mauser, Enfield, or a Springfield. They're much better choices, and if you're willing to spend that pretty penny, Get a M1 Garand, you won't regret it.
And if you want a Marksman Rifle, the Nagant is probably the third worst choice for a platform. Get a Winchester Model 70 classic and start from there.

Alright, now to add some other topics.

-Using Assault Rifle Platforms for hunting - Sign of a bad hunter or Sign that times are simply changing?
-The Kriss Vector SMG - Wave of the future for PDWs, or just has a really good PR campaign as of late?
-What's the oldest firearm you've ever shot?
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Hunting with AR's:
Personally, I'd rather do bow hunting. Requires more skill, and gives you greater satisfaction when you get that big buck you've been looking for. But between AR's and bolt action/hunting rifles, I think I'd rather have the bolt. Generally they are more accurate and made for the job. AR's give the advantage of being able to put in another shot if you miss, but missing and trying again is part of the fun of hunting; eventually you learn not to miss.

Kriss Vector: I actually know little to nothing about this, so I'm not going to pitch in.

Oldest firearm ever shot:
That depends; oldest design or oldest physical age?
For oldest design, it's the M2. Still my favorite weapon of all time.
Oldest physical age, one of my friends has a 10ga single shot from the 50's. I thought 12ga hurt, this thing almost tore off my arm. Never. Again.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:06 am

A .22 from who knows how long ago is the only weapon I've fired. I'll ask my dad just how old it is sometime. I don't know its make, but it really doesn't matter, because, judging from the simplicity of the weapon, (You pull back the firing pin. After you cycle the bolt and load another round. Manually.) it's of no significance.

But, by design, I'm pretty sure it's been around since the first cartridge-loading bolt-action weapons, as there's no recoil system (not that it needs one, there's only a pinch of powder in the round) and the bolt only serves the purpose of opening and closing the breech, it has no extractor of any sort (you often have to tip the thing upward to get the spent round out)... yeah.

Last edited by IncoherentOrange on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:16 am

Also, bows are quiet and you'd never get caught out of season! Tee-hee.

I would hunt for food, but never just for sport. Catch-and-release fishing is all I've ever done, and I like it, but it still feels kind of bad, y'know, seeing hooked fish with potentially-deadly and likely painful wounds, especially if you're not gonna eat 'em.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 am

*sipping coffee* Updates in my thread? Hmm let's see-*sees a real gunsmith post* SNNF-PFFFFFFFF Damnit now I have to wipe up my drink.

I love weapons like the FAL and AR-10, it's just they're so expensive and the ammo isn't as cheap as 5.56/.223 and surplus soviet ammo.

I'll keep in mind the AR-10 piston rifle, never knew till now that they made one. Thought about getting a Remington 700 police version for a marksman rifle, I know nothing on the Winchester Model 70 but I will look into it.

@AR Hunting
I've never actually hunted anything but it sounds fun. Bolt-action sounds more personal given you have to put in more work to get your kill, which in turn gives off a greater feeling of accomplishment.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:01 am

Poor AR-10, what an under-appreciated platform. I didn't know there was a gas piston variant, I thought it was direct impingement.

Though it doesn't fit with the AR-15 vs. AK argument as it isn't either, just a predecessor. A little like saying you'd prefer an StG 44, which inspired Kalashnikov in the first place.

What is the criteria for being a gunsmith, anyway?
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 am

I think the successor the the AK-74 that jacky was talking about is the AN-94. Incredible gun but very complex.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:11 am

Jacky mentioned he'd pick an AR-10, while the argument is between an AR-15 and an AK, thus it sidesteps it altogether.

Oh, and that crazy no-recoil-until-second-bullet-leaves-chamber gun? I'm familiar.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content