Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ep 7 Bats!

+13
Valikdu
jacky2734
cb5
Orm
Formis_Fluttergod
CamoBadger
Rusty Hooves
O. Hinds
Stringtheory
Downloaded Skill
RoboRed
Moodyman90
Katarn
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ep 7 Bats! - Page 2 Empty Re: Ep 7 Bats!

Post by Valikdu Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 am

jacky2734 wrote:I foresee a sudden influx of Flutterpire fics and batpony vectors of the mane six coming our way.

Check out Blood Is Thicker Than Friendship.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:06 am

Looking over the main page of FiMFic, I saw no less than 4 flutterbat stories.

This is the new cancer.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:45 pm

As I stated on another site, I think this entire episode was one big excuse to give Fluttershy cute fangs.
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Ahhhhh.... I thought it was a McCarthy episode.  It being a Williams episode explains tons!  I enjoyed it more knowing it wasn't her.  Well, I guess she's still on the writing crew... sigh...
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:20 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Spoiler:
Now, when it isn't 4AM, I can elaborate on the OOC-ness in more detail.

Spoiler:
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:30 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Spoiler:

Swarm of the century.

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'd still say FS is way OOC because she's supposed to care about her friends. She's put them above plenty of things before, but for some reason these bats made her say "fuck you AJ, you're wrong". 

And as for the end of the episode, it was fucking awful. It was determined ahead of time that the bats were not willing to listen to FS, yet suddenly they decided to not only listen to her, but they actually agreed to stay in one area of the farm. It was shoehorned in there so hard it hurts, all for the sake of making FS right. The pacing was straight up awful, because they skipped everything that actually mattered in the episode. It changed from "how to make the bats leave" into "hunt down flutterbat and change her back", but the end of the episode suddenly jumps back to "oh look, the bats aren't a problem anymore and fluttershy was right, but we don't need to show how they solved this conflict. Fuck no, but have Flutters with 'cute' fangs lol".
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:37 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'd still say FS is way OOC because she's supposed to care about her friends. She's put them above plenty of things before, but for some reason these bats made her say "fuck you AJ, you're wrong". 

And as for the end of the episode, it was fucking awful. It was determined ahead of time that the bats were not willing to listen to FS, yet suddenly they decided to not only listen to her, but they actually agreed to stay in one area of the farm. It was shoehorned in there so hard it hurts, all for the sake of making FS right. The pacing was straight up awful, because they skipped everything that actually mattered in the episode. It changed from "how to make the bats leave" into "hunt down flutterbat and change her back", but the end of the episode suddenly jumps back to "oh look, the bats aren't a problem anymore and fluttershy was right, but we don't need to show how they solved this conflict. Fuck no, but have Flutters with 'cute' fangs lol".
The point is that Fluttershy cares about everyone, not just everypony or just her friends.

The way I took it, the second part with Flutterbat was meant to illustrate Shy's point of view. As in "Would you react the same way if one of those "pests" was your friend?" or something along those lines. Though they didn't really make a good work of conveying that, and in this case I wouldn't say it's an entirely applicable way of conveying that in the first place.

The problem I see here is that they presented the bats as too destructive for their own good. Considering the rate at which they were consuming the apples I would've been probably more inclined to agree with AJ. They should be fine in Everfree (from where they most likely came to the orchard). Though I have no idea how many fruit trees there could be, the bats managed to survive until now.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:58 pm

I think we can all agree Twilight was the worst friend in this episode.

If she had just let AJ dump applesauce on her than she wouldn't need FS's stare to get the bat's attention. Then everyone wins.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:55 am

I'll just say one thing:

In this episode Fluttershy displays quite a bat attitude
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am

"You know what is a good way to tell if a character/idea was popular or not? Check the fan art the following day."
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:39 am

Last wrote:I think we can all agree Twilight was the worst friend in this episode.

If she had just let AJ dump applesauce on her than she wouldn't need FS's stare to get the bat's attention. Then everyone wins.
Just because the show is primarily supposed to be about friendship it doesn't mean that every screw-up makes somepony a bad friend. She was a bad planner and didn't think it through, that's all there is to it. Twilight crazy 
Harmony Ltd. wrote:I'll just say one thing:

In this episode Fluttershy displays quite a bat attitude
I'm all for puns and all, but Flutters was basically the only one with a positive attitude in this episode (aside from the ending).
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:04 pm

I think this episode could have been better if it had been more one of Immediacy over Long Term goals rather than the goodness or baddness of the bats.  "We have to get rid of these bats NOW because if they don't we'll be out of apples, so we should get rid of them." vrs "If you let them stay till they migrate on, your trees will be twice as healthy and productive, so we should harvest what we can now."  Then it goes to a question of trust.  "You know what's best for apples, applejack, but I know my animals.  Either you trust that I'm right, or you don't."  Might also be good for Twili to hit the books and come back with a "There's a lot of debate over vampire fruit bats... I can't say which would be better!"
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Yeah, it would probably end up being better if they fleshed out the issue of "immediate vs. long-term solution" more instead of focusing just on the bats so much, but it'd still end up being kinda controversial, if only because Williams wrote it.

I still think that all things considered it could've been much worse.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:31 pm

[Negative points incoming]
What confused me most about the episode was the degree of destruction the bats actually caused. One scene the section they're walking through looks like a haunted wasteland, then comes the scene where AJ waits for the sun, and everything looks ok. Wished Twilight would fact check the history behind Granny's story, and at least observe the rate the bats devoured things. Fluttershy's solution would be moot if the bats had a high enough destruction rate. And who's to say they'll stay in the designated grove? Even if Flutters asked them to, look at how they responded.
Does AJ really need more trees? It's not like she doesn't have more than she can handle (Applebucking season).
Twilight, you should really stop trying to use any form of change nature of a creature spell. It didn't work on Parasprites, I'm glad Discord destroyed the "Be Good" spell, and it definitely doesn't work in this situation. Also, why not use both solutions? Stop the bats until you get the designated area setup (assuming that 'Shy can convince them to stay only there and that they won't finish off that whole area and move to another portion of the orchard).

[Neutral Comments]
Dash's personality I'm just chalking it up to having it as a joke with all the Cider. Can't comment on Rarity due to reading All American Girl recently (seriously, AAG!Rarity really annoys me). Pinkie is random as usual.

[Positive Comments]
The song was nice. Good to see AJ singing something, and getting character focus. Jokes were amusing. Pinkie learning mane manipulation more and more.

[Other Comments]
Saw a crack theory on FS slowly hinting at turning into a dragonequus.
Currently the KYM MLP image board is covered in Bat!Fluttershy. It was hilarious seeing pages upon pages of spoiler thumbnails.
Do y'all think this has anything to do with Luna's Batponies? Or just some freak accident that coincidentally happens to look like them?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:39 pm

this is the first time I've realized that the Bats song had almost the same pacing and tune as This is Halloween...
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:49 pm

CamoBadger wrote:...
this is the first time I've realized that the Bats song had almost the same pacing and tune as This is Halloween...

As soon as I saw it I said "What is this? Tim Burton's my little pony?"

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:50 pm

CamoBadger wrote:...

Oh wow, the similarity is interesting, especially if they were going for the Halloween atmosphere of the episode.
I just noticed the Bat!Fluttershy has a changed cutie mark. Great. Twi can now mess with destiny/talents.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm

^
You mean like she did in S3 finale? Spike
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Oh, by the way (I'm sure all of you realized this already, but I'm still posting it cuz)

- I got it! I'll cast a spell to make them stop eating all the food.

- I've learned that sometimes the solution to your problems can come from where you least expect it. It's a good idea to stop and listen to your friends' opinions and perspectives...

You learned nothing, princess bitchface.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:00 pm

CamoBadger wrote:Oh, by the way (I'm sure all of you realized this already, but I'm still posting it cuz)

- I got it! I'll cast a spell to make them stop eating all the food.

- I've learned that sometimes the solution to your problems can come from where you least expect it. It's a good idea to stop and listen to your friends' opinions and perspectives...

You learned nothing, princess bitchface.

Yup.

Last wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:
Spoiler:

Swarm of the century.

It's kinda like the lighting dust episode a while ago being like griffon the brush off.

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:51 pm

Derpmind wrote:"You know what is a good way to tell if a character/idea was popular or not? Check the fan art the following day."

So what's it say when a third of the pictures are adorable, another third are hilarious, and the final third are "OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISTHISNIGHTMARISHTHING!!!"?
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:42 am

Lol Spike
Bats Without Pointless Drama:
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum