Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+16
Frost
O. Hinds
Tytan
Scienza
Katarn
Kattlarv
brony all alone
Valikdu
Harmony Ltd.
Ironmonger
Ketchup
StoneSlinger88
iLateralGX
Vinylshadow
tylertoon2
Stringtheory
20 posters

Page 20 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 30  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 20 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:32 pm

I've never tried to be clever

I thought we established this weeks ago

Stop bashing your head against the piano, it'll kill whatever sense of humor you have left (Although it is a rather catchy tune)

Don't worry, I'm not going to go over every rule; I'm already done...although if you ask nicely, I might consider doing it as a project
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 20 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Stringtheory Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Mister Frost wrote:And his "clever" commentary on virtually every rule is sure to follow.

Thanks, String. Thanks.
Hey, how was I to know he'd never seen it? Hopefully, he'll take my blunt hint and stop, but that's a faint hope at best.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Well, at least he admits the stupidity of his commentary. Though that raises the question of exactly why he posts it.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:39 pm

The same reason I post stupid things like this?:

Because it's there...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Aren't finals coming up?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:02 pm

Good luck with that.

Ahh, I remember my finals rather fondly...finished in 20 minutes and then had nothing to do for the next hour and ten minutes.

Good times...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:02 pm

I talk to him a lot. He's now mostly done with dealing with the legal fallout of his dad's death, and he seems to be channelling a lot into music now. He bought a guitar just yesterday, in fact.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:40 pm

F'sho, Swick. He doesn't get to hang with people much, so it'll help when I'm back in town for leave
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:49 pm

I've been quiet partially because I don't know what to talk about. Nothing really comes to mind nowadays. If I remember correctly, most of the stuff I've seen on here lately has been about video games, which I don't play a lot of anymore. However, I can still be cheeky.

>Stuffs a ton of acorns into his face.

*extremely muffled* I'm king of the squirrels!

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:18 pm

...wait, what?
Terminator 5 next July?
Arnold as the terminator?
Daenerys as Sarah Connor?

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 20 Mlfw3629_medium
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Valikdu wrote:...wait, what?
Terminator 5 next July?
Arnold as the terminator?
Daenerys as Sarah Connor?

If the story sucks, I hope it's at least fun to watch instead of it all-around sucking. I remember having fun watching T3 despite a lot of people booing it. If there's at least one cyborg carrying a machine gun, I'll be satisfied regardless of what happens.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Scienza wrote:
It's Patreon, but you're working on a commission basis (you're getting paid on a piece-by-piece). I'm not saying that regular content is always half-assed, I'm saying that having a level of financial regularity is, as a rule, more helpful. It may not be as attractive to the consumer, but the whole point is to support the producer not to purchase the product. Most of the people on Patreon are putting stuff out for free, and besides, those that do use the monthly-payment model almost always have some sort of incentive for supporting them. In effect, you're purchasing a subscription.

I'm not saying that working on a commission basis is untenable or that working a "real" job is the end of the world, I'm just saying that there are legitimate reasons why the subscription model exists.

This is nothing like comission. At least not anything like the way I've seen it used. Comission is being paid for a specific piece, just as an example if someone wanted their OC sitting in a field or something. That is a comission, at least in the way I've seen it used by pretty much every artist.

And this would still be regular income. All the artist has to do is come up with a release schedule. That's something I'd expect a professional to do and if they want to make money off their art that's what they are. Professionals. With the exception of emergencies and maybe getting carried away on a piece they should be paid in the same frequency. But as far as emergencies go that sucks but you don't get paid if you can't come to work at a lot of other jobs. And getting carried away and putting too much effort into a piece I think would again come with being a professional. If you want to be a professional artist you should know how to manage your time.

Using the comission example if someone pays you 50$ for a piece you probably shouldn't be spending 10 hours on it. That would be less than minimum wage in most places.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:19 pm

And Patreon isn't even a commission place. Art gets put up there and every swingin' dick that wants to see it has to pay. That piece you spent fifty hours on could only net you a few dollars per viewer--from hundreds of viewers. The only reason I could see someone suffering from that is if their art was either so infrequent or so poor that they don't actually deserve to live off of it.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:32 pm

Last wrote:
Scienza wrote:
It's Patreon, but you're working on a commission basis (you're getting paid on a piece-by-piece). I'm not saying that regular content is always half-assed, I'm saying that having a level of financial regularity is, as a rule, more helpful. It may not be as attractive to the consumer, but the whole point is to support the producer not to purchase the product. Most of the people on Patreon are putting stuff out for free, and besides, those that do use the monthly-payment model almost always have some sort of incentive for supporting them. In effect, you're purchasing a subscription.

I'm not saying that working on a commission basis is untenable or that working a "real" job is the end of the world, I'm just saying that there are legitimate reasons why the subscription model exists.

This is nothing like comission. At least not anything like the way I've seen it used. Comission is being paid for a specific piece, just as an example if someone wanted their OC sitting in a field or something. That is a comission, at least in the way I've seen it used by pretty much every artist.

And this would still be regular income. All the artist has to do is come up with a release schedule. That's something I'd expect a professional to do and if they want to make money off their art that's what they are. Professionals. With the exception of emergencies and maybe getting carried away on a piece they should be paid in the same frequency. But as far as emergencies go that sucks but you don't get paid if you can't come to work at a lot of other jobs. And getting carried away and putting too much effort into a piece I think would again come with being a professional. If you want to be a professional artist you should know how to manage your time.

Using the comission example if someone pays you 50$ for a piece you probably shouldn't be spending 10 hours on it. That would be less than minimum wage in most places.
On the whole time investment thing, well, that's the whole point isn't it? Patreon is designed to support those that invest the time and the energy into their content. 

Perhaps I'm approaching this from too much of a bleeding-heart romantic angle. Basically, I'm just saying that you're not necessarily paying them just to exist, you're doing pretty much exactly the same thing you would have done with a per-piece donation scheme except on a more reliable schedule.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Happy holidays everybody. Have some shit from the darkest depths of youtube.
tylertoon2
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:04 pm

@Tyler

>Spontaneously combusts

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:19 pm

All I really know about Patreon is that I coulda sworn he was Achilles's cousin that tried to cosplay as him and got rolled up by Hector for it.
Fingers crossed:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:58 pm

'Cause fuck it, food is a crutch

Hey, at least I can just go to the DFAC that $300 out of every paycheck goes to funding--oh, what's that? They're closed most of the time and serve low-grade, unhealthy crap otherwise?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Mister Frost wrote:All I really know about Patreon is that I coulda sworn he was Achilles's cousin that tried to cosplay as him and got rolled up by Hector for it.
You're thinking of Patroclus, there was no greek hero by the name of Patreon to my knowledge.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Stringtheory wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:All I really know about Patreon is that I coulda sworn he was Achilles's cousin that tried to cosplay as him and got rolled up by Hector for it.
You're thinking of Patroclus, there was no greek hero by the name of Patreon to my knowledge.
pssst:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Stringtheory wrote:
pssst:
All knowledge must be corrected, whether joking or serious, that is my sacred task. Princess Celestia
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:03 am

@Scienza We're at a stalemate, I don't think it's any less reliable at all. Unless you're talking about actual comissions that have nothing to do with patreon. Patreon in any capacity of course is more reliable than that. I wouldn't even start to argue that. You're pretty much relying on strangers to show up and offer you work. Not a good plan for paying the bills unless you're pretty popular.

But this isn't the same.

To use the co-optional podcast guy as an example he puts up two videos a month for 900$ a video. Give or take. If he's being professional and sticking to a schedule he's set out for himself there is no reason this would be less reliable than getting $1800 a month. The only reason he would go the monthly route in my opinion would be if he didn't plan on actually creating the content or he planned on creating less.

I'm repeating myself. I think this is the last I'll say on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:18 am

Fantabulous, we can agree that neither of us is likely to convince the other and move on.

Completely unrelated philosophical rhetoric:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 am

"I must posit that objective morality is a construct of modern man and true enlightenment may only be achieved by removing the head or destroying the brain."
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:59 am

@Iron
If you're making music, you should post the demos when you're ready! :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:50 am

Scienza wrote:Fantabulous, we can agree that neither of us is likely to convince the other and move on.

Completely unrelated philosophical rhetoric:

The 3-Day Respawn period was a pain though:

-

Anyone else feel like life is a movie you don't have the script to?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:@Iron
If you're making music, you should post the demos when you're ready! :D

I fully intend on doing that, but I'll probably do some covers before I do anything of my own orchestration. The first cover I'll do will probably be Fear of Napalm by Terrorizer.

Scratch that; I'll probably cover some Candlemass or other slow songs first. It'll help get me used to the guitar faster without pushing my skills too hard and too soon.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 pm

swicked wrote:http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/03/missouri-nuclear-plant-shuts-down-no-public-risk/?ap

1. Why does a san diego paper care what happens at my plant?
2. My gosh, do I hate Mark McLachlan. The guy is a massive jerk.
3. This Ed Smith guy has no idea what he's talking about. We safely shut down. It was an unexpected turbine trip, IE not even a part of our nuclear stuff. Could have happened at any power plant that uses a turbine to produce power. Pretty sure that includes all of them.
*sigh* ignorant fools...
on a different note you've revealed where you live!
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:25 pm

swicked wrote:...
I thought I'd said where I work before.
Had I not?

At the very least, you knew I live in Missouri and work at a nuclear plant. There's only one in the state.
You've mentioned working at a nuclear plant lots of times. I don't recall you saying you lived in Missouri though, could've missed the subtle hint or the whole post though.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:32 pm

So...typical "They work at a Nuclear Plant, therefore everything there is powered by nuclear power" mindset?

"Whoops, door knob fell off"

"ABANDON PLANT, LOOSE KNOB ON DECK"

Meanwhile, there's a Nuclear Plant not five miles from where I live...don't worry, I live in New York
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 30  Next